:)

Times thanked
<
ripping vinyl to CD - optimum quality how-to
allright
this is what i do right now

soundcard : Soundblaster LIVE! 5.1
USB ADAPTER : EDIROL UA-1A RCA to USB Adapter

at the moment, i use creative sound recorder to record my vinyls (QUARTZ LOCKED) and then i convert the wave file to MP3 (320 KBPS)

Should i expect an optimum Vinyl to CD conversion this way, or is there any "EQ Tweaking" necessary?

is there any better way to get the MAXIMUM POSSIBLE sound quality of conversion from vinyl to cd? What do u guys do to rip ur vinyls ?
i use my CDJs 90 percent of the time lately so i kinda need to convert my 600 plus records collection into cd... its gonna be a lot of work but what else can i do?

i have been reading previous posts about people saying audiophiles can tell the diff between 320KBPS and 190 KBPS mp3s, i CANT, so im not really sure whether all the conversion work i have done are of good quality or not
ZILCHIFIED: My Blog
djzilch.com
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
Hardware is the weakness = you get what you pay for.

SoundBlaster is your weakness here.
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaossproject

Hardware is the weakness = you get what you pay for.

SoundBlaster is your weakness here.

the soundcard shouldn't matter with the edirol usb-rca adapter... it's the whole idea of it... a usb input only soundcard...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
<
highest quality would be obtained by using good carts and a dedicated phono preamp (not hooking the edirol up to your dj mixer)
zilch_13 +

Times thanked
<
i just bought a creative soundblaster AUDIGi platinum last week but i havent installed it yet (too lazy)
but yeah as i thought the edirol usb thingie is kinda a usb soundcard so it doesnt matter what soundcard i use, it goes thru the usb thingie first

the audigi platinum has a gold plated RCA plugs on the drive bay so when i install it next week i will compare the diff between the edirol and audigi platinum

i use numark DXM06 mixer
i use Shure M44G needles mounted on stanton H4s headshell
is the sound quality with these good enuff?
as i said i reallyy cant tell the diff but can audiophiles tell differences
between different carts? (sound)
djzilch.com
PFX-808 +

Times thanked
<
if you can't really tell the difference, and the quality is good enough for you, then i guess it's good enough

if you're making straight audio cd's from your rekkids then obviously don't bother encoding them

just make sure your turntable/cart is grounded properly, and use the highest signal output from your mixer as possible (ie, the chan it's connected to vol as high as you can go without clipping, same goes for the master)
Kommando 6
Bunker Records - Den Haag
Live@System 2007
Hi, my name's Alex.. and I'm a tweakaholic..
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFX-808

if you can't really tell the difference, and the quality is good enough for you, then i guess it's good enough

whispers: I think he wants to play them out without worrying about crummy sound...

Quote:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
pre amp FTW
step on my cubes.
soulshine +

I love/hate golf

Times thanked
<
why not just record as a .wav then compress later? unless space is an issue.
LOVEJ +

Times thanked
<
Straight into a cd writer...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester_fu

Alternatively - buy $1k worth of pills, a cheese grater and a metal thimble. You might look like a dick and make shit sounds, but you'll be so trashed you wont give a shit.

soulshine +

I love/hate golf

Times thanked
<
get double tape deck and use hi-speed dubbing
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
it still has to travel through a mixer. the numark has okay sound, but it's nowhere near the quality you'll get with a lush phono pre amp and a proper sampling cart.

if you want the best quality, buy the mp3 version at 320kbs
step on my cubes.
zilch_13 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b

whispers: I think he wants to play them out without worrying about crummy sound...

yup thats it!
i dont want some audiophile thinking "the sound quality of this tune isnt right..." in the club LoL

something like dat
djzilch.com
zilch_13 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

it still has to travel through a mixer. the numark has okay sound, but it's nowhere near the quality you'll get with a lush phono pre amp and a proper sampling cart.

if you want the best quality, buy the mp3 version at 320kbs

dude i paid 18 bucks for a piece of vinyl i dont think i wanna pay another 1.50 pounds for THE SAME TUNE, i got like 600 tunes --> around 800 pounds?
most mp3 shops sell their tune at 190 kbps at 0.99 pounds or 1.50 pounds for 320 kbps

i love purchasing tunes that i dont have yet in 320kbps but the ones i already have i dont think im willing to pay again

sampling cart?
can u recommend any?
djzilch.com
LOVEJ +

Times thanked
<
grado's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester_fu

Alternatively - buy $1k worth of pills, a cheese grater and a metal thimble. You might look like a dick and make shit sounds, but you'll be so trashed you wont give a shit.

PFX-808 +

Times thanked
<
what i don't get is why you're talking about mp3 when you plan to record you vinyl to a regular audio cd to use in your cdj's?
Kommando 6
Bunker Records - Den Haag
Live@System 2007
Hi, my name's Alex.. and I'm a tweakaholic..
zilch_13 +

Times thanked
<
because thats how i manage my tunes, i put the waves or 320kbps mp3s in itunes, and then i print out the tracklist of each cd from itunes

its very organised this way, whenever i need another copy i just open i tunes and burn the playlist (one playlist is one CD) and whenever i need the tracklist i just choose "print tracklist"

i put them on my ipod to so i can listen to them at work and get to know how many bars into how many bars outro, u know, get to know the structure of the songs etc
djzilch.com
Phil Collins +

DJ Silvio / LOIN BROTHER

Times thanked
<
so how is the quality of audio recorded from the 'EDIROL UA-1A RCA to USB Adapter' style audio devices compare with the terrible SoundBlaster Card i've got?

I basically just wanna record from vinyl, re-edit/rework the thing through Ableton then DJ the new edit via CD...

(i'm just trying to get more sound quality from these edits with minimum expense thus the openness towards the USB option...)
LOIN BROTHERS

TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<
I can't comment on the UA-1 but I have used the UA-25 which is very good.
Phil Collins +

DJ Silvio / LOIN BROTHER

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech

I can't comment on the UA-1 but I have used the UA-25 which is very good.

unfortunately it's about four times the price of the UA-1...
LOIN BROTHERS

Cosmica +

OS

Times thanked
<
how about using MD recorder?
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Cosima.... I use a MD walkman for all my demos, while i think they're possibly the perfect tool for any DJ wanting to record demos, i don't think they're up to scratch for converting to use for digital DJing.

if you buy one of the older top of the range units, or one of the tascam professional units, that could be a different story.

phil, nothing wrong with the UA-1 they sound pretty good actually.
step on my cubes.
Cosmica +

OS

Times thanked
<
hi Bracko,

I have a Sony MD which is one of the higher models, and seems to record OK using PCM (no compression) but just wondering if this matches hooking it up to a top soundcard or equivalent
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
hi fi unit or walkman?

you can pick up one of the hi fi units for peanuts these days.... go to a sony seconds store and have a look at them, when they tell you they won't discount it, mention that MD technology is dead i got a pretty good price on my hi fi unit.
step on my cubes.
zilch_13 +

Times thanked
<
i got the edirol ua-1a and i just bought a soundblaster audigy platinum 4 weeks ago, ?(the one with the input drive near your CD slot)
i compared them together and i can say the soundblaster audigy platinum wins

not only its a lot more convienient to use, the audigy seems to retain perfect quality no matter how loud i record my vinyls, with the edirol the quality is BRILLIANT too, but i gotta pay attention to the pfl light thingie, i just hav to keep it on or below the red light, too loud would cause the sound to crack up, while in the audigy somehow i can crank up the volume really loud and it would still sound REALLY good
djzilch.com
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
24bit with the edrol is more than sufficient for recording.

i would paymore atention to the amp you're using personally.
step on my cubes.

Last edited by Bracko: 01-Jan-06 at 03:07pm

LYNFRED +

Times thanked
<
does anyone know of a cheaper USB audio adapter than the Edirol?? I'm about to start the same process as Zilch but am not that fussy on quality......but my laptop is without a line in and the soundcard is crap.
So this seems the best solution........
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYNFRED

does anyone know of a cheaper USB audio adapter than the Edirol?? I'm about to start the same process as Zilch but am not that fussy on quality......but my laptop is without a line in and the soundcard is crap.
So this seems the best solution........

for mine i use a device called an INPort... http://www.xitel.com/product_inport.htm

Quote:

LYNFRED +

Times thanked
<
cheers mate - looks like exactly what I need
zilch_13 +

Times thanked
<
im selling my edirol in ebay btw, bid starts at $50, check out ebay australia if ur interested

im happy with my audigy platinum, dont need it no more, its brand new anyway
djzilch.com
Phil Collins +

DJ Silvio / LOIN BROTHER

Times thanked
<
anyone know much about the xitel inport for recording vinyl?

http://www.xitel.com/product_inport.htm

how does it compare to that basic USB edirol device? is it basically the same thing?

Cheers.
LOIN BROTHERS

plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Collins

anyone know much about the xitel inport for recording vinyl?

http://www.xitel.com/product_inport.htm

how does it compare to that basic USB edirol device? is it basically the same thing?

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b

for mine i use a device called an INPort... http://www.xitel.com/product_inport.htm

does the job beautifully...

Quote:

Marky +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
I’m about to embark on recording a bunch of my records to digital format, and I’m trying to decide which approach to take.

Just a couple of questions:

1) I have Vestax PDX2000 decks running ShureM44-7 carts. I also have a technics 1210 running – I think – a Stanton 500AL cart. What’s more likely to deliver a better quality signal?

2) I have two PCs which I could use for recording. One has a Digidesign Digi001 interface; the other has a Terratec DMX6-Fire card.

To use the Digidesign I'd need to pre-amp my vinyl, and the only means I have of doing that is my Pioneer DJM600. I know the DJM 600 is supposed to be pretty craptastic for sound quality, but in all my years of DJing using these nobody’s ever complained to me about the sound.

The DMX6Fire, however, has a built in phone pre-amp, with RCA sockets on the breakout box for plugging in a turntable. Pretty much especially for this purpose, it came with software for processing the recording to remove rumble and other vinyl artefacts. I’ve not actually used the soundcard for this purpose, so it's an unknown factor in the equation.

So what do you folks think will get a better quality recording? Through a DJM600 into the Digi001; or by using the DMX6Fire’s built in phono pre-amp?

Thanks fro the help.
hit me up on the cloud: http://soundcloud.com/marcus-murky
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marky

I’m about to embark on recording a bunch of my records to digital format, and I’m trying to decide which approach to take.

Just a couple of questions:

1) I have Vestax PDX2000 decks running ShureM44-7 carts. I also have a technics 1210 running – I think – a Stanton 500AL cart. What’s more likely to deliver a better quality signal?

2) I have two PCs which I could use for recording. One has a Digidesign Digi001 interface; the other has a Terratec DMX6-Fire card.

To use the Digidesign I'd need to pre-amp my vinyl, and the only means I have of doing that is my Pioneer DJM600. I know the DJM 600 is supposed to be pretty craptastic for sound quality, but in all my years of DJing using these nobody’s ever complained to me about the sound.

The DMX6Fire, however, has a built in phone pre-amp, with RCA sockets on the breakout box for plugging in a turntable. Pretty much especially for this purpose, it came with software for processing the recording to remove rumble and other vinyl artefacts. I’ve not actually used the soundcard for this purpose, so it's an unknown factor in the equation.

So what do you folks think will get a better quality recording? Through a DJM600 into the Digi001; or by using the DMX6Fire’s built in phono pre-amp?

Thanks fro the help.

i'd say the DMX6... and go with the stanton needle... the shure m44's stick like shit to a blanket, but the quality ain't great...

no one's complained to me about the sound quality of the djm600 either... but then I don't know of anyone who's complained about the behringer sitting in the dj booth at rockafella's nightclub in brisbane either...

Quote:

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkdust

highest quality would be obtained by using good carts and a dedicated phono preamp (not hooking the edirol up to your dj mixer)

I actually looked up the Specs of my $30 JVC amp ... turns out it has some shit hot phono pre-amps ... might consider running a turntable direct into the amp instead of through the mixer ... but then i'd be taking the tape record out and putting it into my PC to record and that ... but now it's got me wondering which would have the better signal

phono -> amp -> line out to PC

or

Phono -> mixer -> line out to PC
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
<
suck it and see
Marky +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
yeah - plan to. Just worried that my ears aren;t as well honed as some of yours and that I might not be able to tell the difference!
hit me up on the cloud: http://soundcloud.com/marcus-murky
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
<
I wasn't impressed with the offerings on the retail market and true "hifi" stuff was just too expensive.

So I cracked out the soldering iron and built my own preamp - and I got to spec it the way I like it.
Bassbunker +

Stay Strong, Stay Low...

Times thanked
<
mmm...you read my mind luke....I was just thinking of hooking up one of my 1200 into the NAD pre-amp then straight into the puter. Just don't want to think of how long it would take to record all those records.
Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true
Jerry lee lewis was the devil
Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do...
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
^^^

yea ... as Phunkdust said ... might have to suck it and see ... do it, then see if i can hear any discernable difference in the sound between the 2 options
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met

« Previous Thread Next Thread »