Sport and Fitness

Scuba Diving ~!

Closed thread
  Tools
jarrardscott +

i've had enough of "digital prophet"

Times thanked
< 4,493
so if i bought gear i'd basically just get a BCD and regulator?
http://soundcloud.com/jarrardscott
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

so if i bought gear i'd basically just get a BCD and regulator?

I travel with
BCD
Regs
mask
Fins
Computer
Gloves, boots etc
Wetsuit unless I'm going somewhere real warm
be careful with knives, customs will confiscate some of them, I had to sweet talk my way through with a small knife cause it had a double sided blade, funny thing was they didn't care about my massive serrated commercial blade!
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941
Generally speaking yeah. Considering you already have fins. Wettie for travel is generally a 1 or 3mm depending on what you're doing.

For gear, don't forget to factor in the occy and inflator hose or an air2.

If you aren't interested in going to DM or diving multiple times every weekend over summer, you can get a lighter duty BCD which will save you a few kg. I love my oceanic probe but its too heavy.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephalapod chewing legend

Times thanked
< 2,487
status update;

got my DM number this morning
got an OC1 last week
did the adelaide last weekend

busybusybusy
I read the news today, oh boy
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941
congrats on getting the last number PADI will ever give you!... what is it?

OC1... big spender! how do you like it? I'm not sure what I'll get next. either something like that or one of the Galileo units

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Last edited by Bracko: 10-May-12 at 01:21pm

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324
Doing my paperwork today, realised I was into deco on Tuesday... oops. Ah well, not bent so alls good.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941
what are you doing? I saw you were/are in Sydney...

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

what are you doing? I saw you were/are in Sydney...

Been doing some diving work on the harbour, was recovering a lost mooring at 14m in middle harbour on Tuesday, really shit viz at bottom (prolly 2ft of silt) and it was a bit off the datum so took fucking ages. Found it though!
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
< 640
Congrats mate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b View Post

Congrats mate

I have a 100% success rate on searches so far, keen to keep that one

Looks like plenty of commercial diving work round in the next few months, fuck yeah gonna be making some cash
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
Nice work SM

Bracko, 307436, so far only done the two dives on the adelaide on the oc1, still getting the hang of the controls, didn't realise it had a compass till i got it

Along with the computer i got a new set of guages, was only going for air/max depth, but when that came late it's apparently going to include a compass as well. The dive shop was like 'you know you don't need the guages, the computer does it all?', i had to answer 'yeah, but you know i work with computers, and therefore don't trust them to work all the time?' Had to have my backups. (got a decent discount on it too).

The adelaide was interesting, not amazing, but very interesting, getting to go through the rooms, down a level, up a level, quite enjoyed that, it's still pretty surgey too, was quite fun going past a hole and either getting sucked into it or pushed away from it. There were some moorish idols round the masts, as well as some 1.5 ft long kingfish and a bunch of other smaller fish, also a couple of fair sized cuttlefish on the decks floating about. Still got to go through and edit my video from the dive, most the inside parts are useless as the gopro's not too good in low light, but there'll hopefully be a bit of usable footage in there.

And take 2, three weeks time i should be up at fish
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,493
thinking of bali as well as malaysia now.

august/september for 2 weeks.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941
check out the shitstar email from friday if you get it. they had flights to Denpasar for something like 219 one way.

Quote:

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640
Question, I stayed at my parents on the weekend and the spare bed had a feather doona on it which I had an allergic reaction to, my sinuses clogged up a bit, throat got a bit scratchy, eyes puffy and dry etc.

As soon as I migrated to the couch everything settled down and there wasn't any mucuous, phlegm or congestion. Would I be alright to go diving this coming Sunday or am I risking danger?

My eyes are still a little sore/dry and my throat's slightly scratchy, nothing that a chilli laksa won't fix tonight, but my nasal passages have been clear as all day.

Quote:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

Question, I stayed at my parents on the weekend and the spare bed had a feather doona on it which I had an allergic reaction to, my sinuses clogged up a bit, throat got a bit scratchy, eyes puffy and dry etc.

As soon as I migrated to the couch everything settled down and there wasn't any mucuous, phlegm or congestion. Would I be alright to go diving this coming Sunday or am I risking danger?

My eyes are still a little sore/dry and my throat's slightly scratchy, nothing that a chilli laksa won't fix tonight, but my nasal passages have been clear as all day.

You'll be fine as long as your nose/sinuses are clear. If in doubt dump a sudafed before you dive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640
Best news I've had all day. Starting to get withdrawals
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941
as long as you're not in a full blown cold you should be fine with a sudafed or 3.

n.b. as a DM I'd tell you not to ever do that

Quote:

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640

Quote:

as long as you're not in a full blown cold you should be fine with a sudafed or 3.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

I flash my ADAS card at the chemist in order to get the stuff with pseudoephedrine in it, telling them I need it so I can work

#dodgycommercialdivertricks

Quote:

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
here's some vids from the adelaide

Media Player
Descending down to the ex-HMAS Adelaide - YouTube

Media Player
Going into the bridge of the ex-HMAS Adelaide - YouTube

Media Player
Moving about and through the ex-HMAS Adelaide - YouTube
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
and last up, heading back up the rope

Media Player
Ascending back up the rope from the ex-HMAS Adelaide - YouTube
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,493

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post

You'll be fine as long as your nose/sinuses are clear. If in doubt dump a sudafed before you dive.

i was taught in my OW never to take anti-congestions because of risk of reverse squeeze.

yet experienced divers ive spoken to said they do it anyway lol
jarrardscott +

Times thanked
< 4,493

Quote:

I flash my ADAS card at the chemist in order to get the stuff with pseudoephedrine in it, telling them I need it so I can work

dodgy trick? i just ask them for the proper stuff whenever im sick because its the only stuff that works PROPERLY. they just check your id and let you have it.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941

Quote:

I'm sure a DM card would work the same... how would a chemist know the difference. SA is quite tight in even selling the good shit. I'd been here not long and went back to the same chemist and told her i wanted pseudoephedrine as the tablets I bought the previous day didn't work, she lectured me on eating right, lots of fluids and stood there until i asked here again for the drugs just sell me the ridiculously priced drugs and STFU.

A friend has also been rejected from buying them, srsly, WTF is wrong with this state

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

i was taught in my OW never to take anti-congestions because of risk of reverse squeeze.

yet experienced divers ive spoken to said they do it anyway lol

Theoretically they're right, I've had a reverse squeeze and it's not pleasant, felt like my sinuses were gonna explode them all this blood and mucous came out my nose. No real damage done but not something I'm in a hurry to experience again.

Quote:

Quote:

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640

Quote:

I'm sure a DM card would work the same... how would a chemist know the difference. SA is quite tight in even selling the good shit. I'd been here not long and went back to the same chemist and told her i wanted pseudoephedrine as the tablets I bought the previous day didn't work, she lectured me on eating right, lots of fluids and stood there until i asked here again for the drugs just sell me the ridiculously priced drugs and STFU.

A friend has also been rejected from buying them, srsly, WTF is wrong with this state

I really don't like taking pseudoephedrine, it makes me feel like I'm coming down off speed.

Aside from a bit of a scratchy throat and epic tiredness (probably moreso from working so hard lately) I'm all good anyway. Looks like it was just an allergy to dust mites.
plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640
What do you actually do for work down there SM?

Also, silly question, but do you guys claim your recreational diving gear on your tax?
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941
I don't make money out of diving, so i can't.

Quote:

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640

Quote:

I don't make money out of diving, so i can't.

Ah got ya, for some reason I thought you instructed part time.

Quote:

Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941
I DM. it doesn't mean I invoice.

[DM'ing gives you access to free servicing, cost price or below gear, fills, spots on the dive boat if not full... etc]

Quote:

plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640
Bought some gear...

Aqualung Express Fins
Adrenlain 5mm boots
Appollo snorkel (I didn't realise but it's a legal requirement to have a snorkel when you dive in QLD)
Neptune bag with wheels

They didn't have any masks to fit my fat head though

And now I have no more money to actually dive

Quote:

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
You're really going to notice the difference having the boots and fins, gloves are always good too, socks too (for comfort and warmth). I'm on my 3rd pair of gloves, my first pair of boots are due to fall apart soon and the socks have got massive holes in them too now. I've found two fold-up snorkels on recent dives so i'll be keeping one in the BCD's pocket. Gotta have one when doing the classes so it's on my rare me dives now that i actually take it off.

It's been pretty cool having a computer i can dl the dives from, you get to see the dive profile, graphed out and what the readings were...very stoked for lumping up and getting something good, still got to figure out how to completely use it.

Two more weekends till fish rock, Two more weekends till fish rock, Two more weekends till fish rock, Two more weekends till fish rock...
plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640
^^ My dive shop did Fish Rock 2 weeks ago, I really wanted to go but had Creamfields duties

Do you mean having my own so there's no wear and tear from having dozens of muppets using the hire gear before me? I think the hire fins I was using were Aqualungs as well, one of the things that shat me about the boots I was hiring was one of the zips would unzip on every, single, dive

Doing Julian Rocks on Sunday, only just realised it's near Byron I'm so geographically challenges it's not funny

Guess it's time to start looking at BCDs, Regs and computers... Gonna try get my hands on a BCD with integrated weights, the weight belt isn't doing my back many favours Any suggestions on what to look for? If you don't mind me asking how much was your computer Spokey?

Quote:

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
ended up getting the oceanic OC1 w/ transmitter and an aeris depth guage/spg, would've come to two grand, got it for 1500...perks of the DM

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

What do you actually do for work down there SM?

Also, silly question, but do you guys claim your recreational diving gear on your tax?

Recover lost stuff (moorings, anchors etc) clean hulls/running gear, photograph & inspect stuff, fit pipes, waterblast stuff etc etc.

And yeah I claim anything dive related that I buy. ATO aren't gonna be able to prove if I use it for work or not.

A bit of sobering light reading for y'all list of working diver deaths and their causes, some shocking shit in there but also shows how much safety has improved over the years in general when you read some of the old entries. Still 95% avoidable stuff though, especially oncve you remove the deaths that weren't related to diving procedure (ie heart attacks while underwater).

Last edited by SpaceMonkey: 17-May-12 at 12:07pm

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOKEYDOKEY View Post

I'm on my 3rd pair of gloves,

Pro tip for gloves- get some of these for use when the water isn't too cold, under $5 a pair and will last you as long as "proper" diving gloves, plus they dont impact your dexterity as much. If you want to be a really good DM keep a few pairs in your bag and you can help out under-prepared divers too.

Ninja HPT Black Wet / Dry Gloves:

Available from places that sell workwear and stuff (possibly at Bunnings too)

Quote:

Quote:

Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941
what the hell do you do with your gloves?

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

what the hell do you do with your gloves?

NFI what spokes does with his, but commercial work destroys normal gloves, remember we're hauling ourselves and other shit around in the water all the time, unlike recreational diving where you tend to try not to touch the environment at all if possible. Normal dive gloves slow you down heaps as well, it's a massive POS using a spanner properly in them for example.

Quote:

Quote:

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
I guess it's rocks getting in and out, and diving just gets me going so much i find myself trying to rub one out halfway through?
plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640
How the fuck do you do that? I get mega shrinkage in the water.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
even with shrinkage there's still enough to wear holes into two pairs of gloves.
plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOKEYDOKEY View Post

I guess it's rocks getting in and out, and diving just gets me going so much i find myself trying to rub one out halfway through?

Sydney shore dives are a **** on gear, id be using work gloves and knee pads to save on wear and tear if doing them regularly.
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 1,941
I generally take my gloves off to clamber over rocks. I've got 5mm gloves and really don't feel comfortable using them.

Quote:

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324

Quote:

I generally take my gloves off to clamber over rocks. I've got 5mm gloves and really don't feel comfortable using them.

Yeah 5mms are uber clumsy, I've got a pair but hardly ever use them. Try the work gloves out when the water isn;t too chilly (<17), you'll be a convert.

Quote:

Quote:

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
It was close to 17 today I reckon, was down at BI on the inner west and the east with an advanced class. The east wall was their naturalist dive, where we got to point out a turtle to them. Saw a weedy sea dragon a bit further on but it was a bit anticlimactic by that point.
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,324
17's a bit cold for naturist diving innit? Oh the shrinkage...

Quote:

Quote:

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
Oh the humanity
plan-b +

Times thanked
< 640
Did Julian Rocks yesterday, beautiful day for it, visibility was perfect, around 15-20m, saw plenty of colourful fish and coral, and probably 20-30 wobbegongs around where we were.

New fins made a hell of a difference as well, so much less effort getting around.

Quote:

SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,487
The fins really count, hey? I shared-aired a student to the surface from 15m during a dive on sunday for much the same thing. Loose fitting fins, trying to kick against the current, checked her air, 30 bar...right then, you take this (hands spare air), i'll grab this (grabs bcd), and let's go do our safety stop in mid water and then a nice long surface swim back all done as it should have been ending with the student (and I) learning something and they're keen as mustard to get back in the water.

How was the temperature at Julian Rocks?
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »