General

gift ideas for friend moving overseas?

Tools
starlet +

Times thanked
< 0
gift ideas for friend moving overseas?
Does anyone have any good ideas on what to buy a friend who is moving overseas (Canada) in the new year?

She already has the guidebooks and the thermal underwear, is there anything else that might be practical that won't take up a lot of lugguage space?

Have you lived overseas and found something to be particularly indispensable? Post your ideas here!

Many thanks :blush:

(I know this topic has been done before but "Searching has been disabled", so sorry for the double up)
NanouK +

safe innit

Times thanked
< 1
get her some super kick ass socks from a camping store or something. either really thick thermal-type warm ones (aprox $20 - $50 per pair depending on brand etc) or else these other ones you wear under your normal socks which keep the feet dry. they're light weight and about $10 per pair.

she'll never have too many pairs of socks and they're kind of expensive so would make great gifts. they don't take up much room or weight in her luggage either so she'll love you for it.
"Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a serious lack of imagaination" .... Oscar Wilde
Nardo +

nobody's fault but yours

Times thanked
< 35
one of those power adapter things
loopi +

bliss :D

Times thanked
< 860
i dont know what your budget is, but a camera is always cool to have.
<3
Xpose +

huh?

Times thanked
< 0
Some pre-paid call home cards so she can keep in touch.

loopi +

bliss :D

Times thanked
< 860
Good one Xpose!!
<3
Jentai +

Times thanked
< 0
I think the best gift I was given when i moved to London was a book all my friends made me, it had heaps of photo's and funny stories plus almost everyone I know wrote me a message in it. 8 months in and I still look at it almost every day. Definately the best gift i have ever received :blush:
What is Platform 12?
Check it
http://www.platform12music.co.uk

"I don't get drunk, I just get more awesome"
The Brain +

すけべ

Times thanked
< 175
A nice scarf. One of the best gifts I got when I moved to Japan.

"It only takes one conversation with Ricardo to be obsessed with him" - Nick Karpetis, 2005
Punkii +

Times thanked
< 0
Some good quality combination locks for luggage. They go missing so doesn't hurt to have a few spare ones.

Kathmandu also do some great travel towels, really light weight and dry super quick. Much better than normal towels when travelling.

How bout a memory card for her camera, again doesn't hurt to have a spare one.

Or a nice blank page book she can use as a travel journal.

More of a token gift but you could set up a web page on www.bebo.com a website I use to post all my travelling pics. You could put her first blog entry in there and add a few pics of friends so she has something to look at when homesick.
Get punked.
minxus +

Registered Lurker

Times thanked
< 0
one of my friends once made a "memories of home" kind of kit, which had stuff like photos, vegemite, pics of australia, polaroids of friends with messages scrawled on them etc.. something that wont cost too much but is thoughtful!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »