Entertainment and the Arts

The Comic Book Thread

Tools
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777
The Comic Book Thread
What are you reading? What do you recommend? Favourite publishers/writers/artists/characters? Best story-arcs?

3 things that you MUST be checking out if you like funny books:

ANYTHING from the Hellboy universe. BPRD is cooking with gas at the moment and the new Hellboy mini, Darkness Calls, is shaping up to be a blinder. The latest trade, Strange Places, which collects The Third Wish and The Island just came out...essential reading, people! Mike Mignola is my God.

The Goon. The funniest book on the shelves at the moment...but it's not just humour. Eric Powell is a creative genius who weaves horror, comedy and pathos into a tapestry of awesomeness. I have so much love for this title it's silly...!

Planetary. Arguably the single greatest series of all time...it's contains EVERYTHING that makes comics such an exciting art form. Just read it and thank me later! Look at the sketch of Jakita John Cassaday did for me in the front of my Absolute hardcover when he was over last year...

<swoon>

Geek it up!
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,430
Ian don't tell me you're giving up on the Anime thread

I haven't read comics since back when I used to collect the X-Files and Simpsons series years ago.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
Great thread! 'nuff said.
Haven't read comics in ages. Still have a pile at home that I can never get rid of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah

Ian don't tell me you're giving up on the Anime thread

Never! Anime's the hot bit on the side I visit every now and then...Comics are my one true love who I make sweet music with down by the fire on a daily basis...
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
< 1,088
When last I regularly read comics,
Wolverine had the adamantium pulled out of his body by Magneto and left the Graymalkin Lane when he recovered. It's been a while!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMoney

When last I regularly read comics,
Wolverine had the adamantium pulled out of his body by Magneto and left the Graymalkin Lane when he recovered. It's been a while!!

Dude...too long!

There is SO much cool shit out at the mo...practically anything by Vertigo is worth a read; Dark Horse is still pushing pure quality; Wildstorm has a great line-up; and there are TONS of indies.

Homework...get the first trades of 100 Bullets and Y: The Last Man (both by Vertigo). I want to make you excited again, BMoney...<giggle> :blush:
nettsu +

http://about.me/nettsu

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976

Never! Anime's the hot bit on the side I visit every now and then...Comics are my one true love who I make sweet music with down by the fire on a daily basis...

combine the two
read manga

last thing I read was the mangas for NGE :blush:
so much goodness...
i take photos
alison87 +

acid evangelist

Times thanked
< 0
As a general rule i don't like Dark Horse comics and Warren Ellis annoys me. I found Planetary painfully slow Transmetropolitan was heaps more fun. But horses for courses eh.

This is what i'm picking up on a regular basis (in trades but):

Cable & Deadpool - great comedy oldskool comics fun
She-Hulk - ditto
Powers - i've considered dropping it because it's not as Law & Order-y as it used to be, but i'll give Bendis a chance
Walking Dead - i've just dropped this after book 4, i really felt like it wasn't really going anywhere

Few things on the considering list...

anything by Brian Wood - Couriers was fantastic, also Channel Zero, Demo and i have high hopes for DMZ, The Tourist, Supermarket and Local
X-Statix - loved the original, hope the new mini is up to scratch
X-Factor - still debating whether to pick this one up; Madrox was great
Next Wave - Ellis doing funny might actually be, well, funny instead of pretentious

I was digging all the indie stuff on AIT/PlanetLar but it seems like they're shedding creators left right and center. Not sure why. Image is very patchy, but there are some great people on there like B Clay Moore (loved Hawaiian Dick, looking forward to The Expatriate). Dark Horse and DC just haven't done anything to excite me. Marvel are hitting it out of the park i reckon at the moment, though it's all plain old superhero stuff. I keep checking out the indie releases each month to pick up interesting things... Sky Ape was cool. 2020 Visions was lots of fun too. Dead West was alright. Teenagers From Mars was fun. I do like Rob G's art.

Comics
house music is delicious
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by nettsu

combine the two
read manga

so much goodness...

I've tried and tried and tried but it just ain't my bag

Akira being the exception! (oh, and I really want to read the Lone Wolf & Cub books...)
nettsu +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

I've tried and tried and tried but it just ain't my bag

Akira being the exception! (oh, and I really want to read the Lone Wolf & Cub books...)

i have memories at home
a friend gave it to me years ago
it has the short manga that is the basis for akira - amazing stuff
i take photos
jizzo_the_clown +

Groupie

Times thanked
< 0
I love comics!!!!

And with the amount of comics availabe on bit torrents, there's just so much to read these days.

I'm a Superman fanboy since I could walk, although the past few years I've been more into Vertigo titles.

Geeks unite!
Linch +

Times thanked
< 0
This was the last series of comics I read, was a while back to.

Quote:

Colin Farrell, Miami Vice - "You can't negotiate with gravity"

DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
< 0
I prefer graphic novels to monthlies, I dont have the patience or self-organisation to collect a whole series.

My favourite graphic novels would be Do-Mu: A Childs Dream (cant go wrong with any Dark Horse comics), Bone: The complete works, and the most recent one I bought is 'Wanted' which is an awesome slice of badguy superhero life.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

i have memories at home
a friend gave it to me years ago
it has the short manga that is the basis for akira - amazing stuff

I've got that DVD but haven't watched it...I suck

That's the story about the planet that just keeps firing canons into space because it thinks it's at war, right?
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Fusion

I prefer graphic novels to monthlies, I dont have the patience or self-organisation to collect a whole series.

My favourite graphic novels would be Do-Mu: A Childs Dream (cant go wrong with any Dark Horse comics), Bone: The complete works, and the most recent one I bought is 'Wanted' which is an awesome slice of badguy superhero life.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same, dude. I've been delving into monthlies a bit lately just because some of the covers have really caught my eye, but if I really get into something I want the GNs on my bookshelf

Complete Bone = Jeff Smith is a genius!
nettsu +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

I've got that DVD but haven't watched it...I suck

That's the story about the planet that just keeps firing canons into space because it thinks it's at war, right?

i'd need to reread it to be honest
its been a while
but i don't think so
i take photos
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by jizzo_the_clown

Geeks unite!

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

i'd need to reread it to be honest
its been a while
but i don't think so

?

The Otomo story is Cannon Fodder...
RADGE +

SHOOT THE LIGHTS OUT

Times thanked
< 0
i mainly read vertigo stuff
namely sandman and preacher

used to read comics heaps when i was younger but have only started buying graphic novels again recently

the preacher series is amazing. every time i buy a new volume i have to read it in one sitting
nettsu +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

?

The Otomo story is Cannon Fodder...

I have the BOOK
you know the paper stuff

although I noticed when I was at the virgin megastore in myer that there's a dvd version
hence the crossed wires I think
i take photos
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

I have the BOOK
you know the paper stuff

although I noticed when I was at the virgin megastore in myer that there's a dvd version
hence the crossed wires I think

Heh...I was just assuming that the DVD was an adaptation of the book cos of the same name.

...and junk :p
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by RADGE

i mainly read vertigo stuff
namely sandman and preacher

used to read comics heaps when i was younger but have only started buying graphic novels again recently

the preacher series is amazing. every time i buy a new volume i have to read it in one sitting

Ennis is a fucking legend!

He's got a new book coming out later in the year called The Boys. He wants to outdo Preacher...I'm excited.

Sandman...'nuff said.
nettsu +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Heh...I was just assuming that the DVD was an adaptation of the book cos of the same name.

...and junk :p

i might get the dvd next week
be keen to see how they translate into animation
i take photos
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,430

Quote:

combine the two
read manga

so much goodness...

Something I hope to be diving into in the coming weeks

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

RADGE +

SHOOT THE LIGHTS OUT

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

He's got a new book coming out later in the year called The Boys. He wants to outdo Preacher...I'm excited.

awesome
think itll be based on the movie? :tongue:
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by alison87

Powers - i've considered dropping it because it's not as Law & Order-y as it used to be, but i'll give Bendis a chance

I missed your post earlier!

Powers used to be at the top of my pile each month but it's been slipping since the new series started. Definitely needs to go back to the NYPD Blue Heroes and Villains style. I think Bendis has disappeared up his own arse, to be honest.

The storyline that finished up the last series was just stupidly cool, though...Oeming was on fire

X-Statix = Gonna get the Deadgirl trade when the series has finished. Milligan and Allred, match made in heaven! (Also...more Madman please, Mike!)
alison87 +

acid evangelist

Times thanked
< 0
There was a trade that came out a while back that was sorta Powers-ish that has held me over while Bendis is up his ass - Silencers - can't remember the label but yeah. It's sorta like a mafia story with powers. Another mafia-ish story i really enjoyed was Chaykin's Bite Club. Looking forward to the new one of that. Speaking of Chaykin, City of Tomorrow was cool also - quite Sin City-ish. I haven't read American Flagg either, so it'll be good if they ever release that trade. Also some of the Viper Comics stuff seems alright.

I've got 3 months worth of stuff waiting for me in Brisbane so i'll have to get that sent down and then start catching up on things here in Melbourne. It seems down here the preordering systems require you to pre-pay, which sucks balls. I'm considering just buying Previews and then ordering stuff from Mile High or something. Anywho.

Edit: oh yeah, and for more police procedural action check out District X. Wasn't great, and the art suffered a bit after the Aussie guy left, but it was enough up my alley that i haven't sold the trades on eBay yet Madrox was good too.
house music is delicious
nettsu +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah

Something I hope to be diving into in the coming weeks

there's 9 available at the moment
and there are divergences from the series which make it cooler i reckon

and of course the artwork is outstanding
i take photos
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,430

Quote:

there's 9 available at the moment
and there are divergences from the series which make it cooler i reckon

and of course the artwork is outstanding

Great to hear!
I've seen them around but never taken the initiative to get into them just yet, or any manga for that matter. Will be doing so very soon though.

Will also be checking out Love Hina as per recommendation.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

N4TE +

I play rough now - don't like it? Don't play.

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Look at the sketch of Jakita John Cassaday did for me in the front of my Absolute hardcover when he was over last year...

Nothing compares to a signed one off original sketch by one of your heros. You lucky ****. What's better, knowing what it's worth and knowing you'll never sell it, or knowing what it'll be worth if you ever do?

curious, Ailson, why don't you like Dark Horse? You're the first person I've bumped into who knows about them and doesn't like them.

Preacher, Sin City, Dark Knight (Legends), 2000AD, Vaughn Bode's work, fuck, even VIZ is good for a laugh. Comics are such an important addition to the arts, this thread is full of titles to check out. I'd go as far as t say the more traditional painting on canvass has been deserted by some of the most talented visual artists of our time for the comic medium.
“Care more than others think is wise,
risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical
and expect more than others think is possible."
Chharge +

Summer is coming

Times thanked
< 1,924
I kept mostly to the X-world.

Xmen- uncanny- xforce, wolverine Gambit etc.

I followed Ian Churchill (artist ) into coven for a bit and also and fathom with others, but in the end the cost kinda outweighed the need.

Won't sell them though. The stories were so much better back then, a few I pick up here and there leave me quite disturbed. Mind you haven't read an x-comic for over a year... anyone know if its picked its game up?

Or if Ian churchill still pencils?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT View Post

Any sex enthusiast should whore it up at least once in their life IMO,
Its the oldest profession in the world.
Are you calling everyone wrong?.

alison87 +

acid evangelist

Times thanked
< 0
N4TE i'm not sure why i don't like Dark Horse. I know it seems odd to write a whole label off with one stroke but i find every book i read of theirs has a similar... vibe to it. The dialog feels a bit more forced and the art seems a bit more static than the stuff on other labels. I really enjoyed the Hellboy movie and i enjoyed Sin City too, so i'm sure the comics themselves would be alright, but every time i pick one up it just feels less polished or less exciting than other indie stuff. Or perhaps it's overly polished? It's just different. I'm sure i'll get over it some day. I think it's just some weird irrational thing.

I guess the other thing is that there's just so much cool stuff coming out it doesn't matter. I can only afford maybe two or three trades per month and Marvel, Image and other indies give me plenty to choose from so i don't NEED to check Dark Horse. Not to mention all the Vertigo series i'd still like to check out like Y: The Last Man, 100 Bullets, The Losers, The Invisibles etc.

<3 comics
house music is delicious
borrisGLOWSTICK +

Shinra Rocket no.26

Times thanked
< 7,260
The Usagi Yojimbo books and graphic novels are fav's of mine, coolest damn samurai rabbit around

Crazy people are ace doorslammers.

Full dark, no stars.
BeatBreaker +

Times thanked
< 7
i read almost all the sin city comics not too long ago- the movie was kept quite real to them i was so pleased they didnt tear it to shreads
Great thread-

i want to read some V for Vendetta comix too- apparently the Alan Moore has come into problems when they've turned his stuff into movies bofore. I think he removed himself from the movie altoghether this time.

I don't remember exactly but i think it was in the league of extraordinary gentlemen- when hollywood tryed to make it a movie they changed it so much it ended up basically copying another movies plot- so then the writer Alam Moore got sued for the copying... even tho his unchanged comics were nothing like the copied plot.

I gotta admire him, he was kicked out of school when he was young because he was found dealing acid!
Stop the Australian Government from Censoring your internets
Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linch

YESYESYEYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reebz +

Unregistered Random

Times thanked
< 0
I love comics for the artwork, I don't actually read them

I suggest you all take a look at the blog below, he is an amazing artist. I frequently visit it and am amazed at his talent each time.

http://www.mikewieringo.com/html/Blog.htm
hdskp +

Times thanked
< 12
Due to my love for anime i naturally got hooked on mang/manhwa

I've read a lot but only have a few series

Crazy Love story
Love Hina + a couple of A.I love you
Kiss me Kill me (it's shit)
Couple
These are pretty much girly romantic comedies or romantic dramas

The one i really like though is Lament of the lamb. Very dark stuff, with a good story line and brilliant art (The covers are beautiful)

Some Aussie chick has released an anime through tokyopop The dreamtime or dreaming, i'm keen to chek it out as it's a horror drama. I think it's the first manga styled comic ever offcialy published.

So yeah not much. But i will get more.
However i find the quality of a lot of mangas are shit.

I also love Tintin. I'm a big fan and haveread all of them many many times. Asterixs is o.k
O.k i have started to get into other comics (more U.S and Canada etc).
I like good story lines and i'm not fond of fantasy to much. I like mysteries, horror, and sin city like stuff. Can any one reccomend some good titles?

Oh yeah on saturday the 6th of may is freecomicbookday. Heres the site. check it out. free comics and previews etc.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by reebz

I suggest you all take a look at the blog below, he is an amazing artist. I frequently visit it and am amazed at his talent each time.

http://www.mikewieringo.com/html/Blog.htm

Ringo is fucking awesome...been a fan since he did Flash and Robin years ago. Anime stylings but with a western "clean" feel. Check out Tellos for some superb fantasy stories

Alison...you make me sad with what you say about Dark Horse <sniff> I implore you to get all the Hellboy and Goon trades...please please PLEASE!

N4TE...you think that Jakita pic is good? Oh man...check this fucking badboy...

ORIGINAL REN BY JOHN K, BITCHES!!
pinkpanther1586 +

Times thanked
< 0
Yay - great idea 4 a thread.

I'm reading anything coming out of Vertigo atm. You can't beat Y The Last Man, Fables, 100 Bullets or Ex Machina atm.

Also helps that Sutherland Library (NSW) has recently opened a comic(tpb and hc) area.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpanther1586

I'm reading anything coming out of Vertigo atm. You can't beat Y The Last Man, Fables, 100 Bullets or Ex Machina atm.

I must pick up the Ex Machina trades soon...Brian K Vaughan is a genius!

You checking out Exterminators, panther? It's fast becoming my fave Vertigo title...but I'm not quite sure why! Very strange, yet utterly compelling, comic

In other news...I'm SO fucking getting this.
Freshie +

Whaaaarglllllll

Times thanked
< 0
Just finished reading Ex Machina trades..twas awesome, now I need to get Y The Last Man Also picked up the Penny Arcade trade the other day, the commentaries are so worth it
*splutter*
http://fresh1e.muxtape.com/
http://www.last.fm/user/PyjamaJammer/
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freshie

Just finished reading Ex Machina trades..twas awesome, now I need to get Y The Last Man Also picked up the Penny Arcade trade the other day, the commentaries are so worth it

Attack of the Bacon Robots?? Hahaha...oh man, I wet myself over that

Vols 2 & 3 out soon. Can't wait for the art change, I love Gabe's style now.
pinkpanther1586 +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

You checking out Exterminators, panther? It's fast becoming my fave Vertigo title...but I'm not quite sure why! Very strange, yet utterly compelling, comic

Yes Exterminators is great, interesting concept and each issue has a full splash page of Tony Moore sickness - i luv it! Along with with Loveless and American Virgin, vertigo is the only place for good US comics.

+ Jack of Fables comes out in July.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkpanther1586

Yes Exterminators is great, interesting concept and each issue has a full splash page of Tony Moore sickness - i luv it! Along with with Loveless and American Virgin, vertigo is the only place for good US comics.

+ Jack of Fables comes out in July.

Fables is silly amounts of goodness! Imagine a TV series based on it?! ZOMGWTFBBQ!

Not sure where American Virgin is going, to be honest, but I'll give Steve Seagle the benefit of my doubt for a few more issues...he's a top writer

Loveless...Brian Azzarello...'nuff said!
Freshie +

Whaaaarglllllll

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah Vol 2 & 3 should kick ass wil, those guys are so goddamn good
*splutter*
http://fresh1e.muxtape.com/
http://www.last.fm/user/PyjamaJammer/
ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
< 3,166
you say comic books???

I can't find anymore lucky luke and tank girl comics and i'm trying to find them....

but
tintin and asterix comis is ultimately the best... spent far too much on them... eeep
indie_doll +

Eat Books

Times thanked
< 2
Aqua Man knows what to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOKEYDOKEY

It is actually acceptable to kick sand in childrens faces at the beach. It's character building. For them too.

ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by indie_doll

Aqua Man knows what to do.

He knows how to be camp, I'll give him that :p
reebz +

Unregistered Random

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Vols 2 & 3 out soon. Can't wait for the art change, I love Gabe's style now.

Oh hell yes, it's great.

You know what I really love though?

Seeing where is style came from, comic by comic.
ianwil1976 +

Goat Herder

Times thanked
< 12,777

Quote:

Originally Posted by reebz

Oh hell yes, it's great.

You know what I really love though?

Seeing where is style came from, comic by comic.

The latest one is just beautiful...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »