Old Skool

What become of the Graffiti Hall of Fame?

Tools
nk17 +

Times thanked
< 0
What become of the Graffiti Hall of Fame?
Can anyone tell me what happened to this place?? Is it still there? It was our saviour on more than one occasion when the cops came to shut a party down...
midian +

'yeah, nah, go f**k yourself, I am the King of the Mods and I am the Decider. There can be only One. And.... go f**k yourself.'

Times thanked
< 2,518
It's all apartments now isn't it? The last party in there was a gabber party called Dutch Oven back in 1999, I haven't heard of anything since. I'm pretty sure the whole place and the meat storage warehouse (wasn't it?) it was attached to has all been redeveloped.

My favourite memory of Graffiti Hall was the night Hardcore Heaven was shut down. Everyone walked over to Graffiti Hall and just sat down. The police came and were telling people to leave but no one did, then everyone starting singing the lyrics to XTC You Got What I Need out loud haha. The police eventually pissed off and guess what the first track played was...

Or the night that fella got shot in the arse!
minsky +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by midian

My favourite memory of Graffiti Hall was the night Hardcore Heaven was shut down. Everyone walked over to Graffiti Hall and just sat down. The police came and were telling people to leave but no one did, then everyone starting singing the lyrics to XTC You Got What I Need out loud haha. The police eventually pissed off and guess what the first track played was...

Pretty Sure it's all units now.

What about the time were some guys stood over this little guy and took his gold chain, He went home and came back with a knife, he pulled the knife on one of them and said i want my chain back or something along those lines and they all scarpered. Not sure what the little guy did then, I think he just left.
Djlenny +

punos

Times thanked
< 0
Graffiti is still there...all fenced off now and the meat factory is full of homeless people..i think the whole block has been earmarked for apartments though
Cha Cha Cha!!!
nk17 +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by midian

It's all apartments now isn't it? The last party in there was a gabber party called Dutch Oven back in 1999, I haven't heard of anything since. I'm pretty sure the whole place and the meat storage warehouse (wasn't it?) it was attached to has all been redeveloped.

Good Old Graffiti Hall Of Fame! And you're right Midian - that HH1 night was such a bloody fantastic event. I remember loving the original venue...walking in early to an almost empty room with great lighting and that Commander Tom track playing, then it got shut down, we moved to GHOF and all did the old sit-down-the-cops-are-here thing...It really felt like everyone was uniting! And then they pissed off, Shade played an awesome morning set and I caught one of the tapes he threw into the crowd. And I still have it! Anyway Midian, if you want to rekindle some of those old memories, I have an old 45min video I shot of 2036, which also moved to GHOF when it was shut down. What say a swap for a copy of those AGU tapes!?!?
Chizzle +

Twisted Instigator

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by nk17

Can anyone tell me what happened to this place?? Is it still there? It was our saviour on more than one occasion when the cops came to shut a party down...

I live in the area and it's still there... but it's just a shell of it's former self now. It's actually pretty sad. Apartments have gone up behind it, and the Hall of Fame is basically a dump now. The graf is still there but it's all worn and dull.

I like to remember it the way it was, not the way it is now.

Chizzle
robin banks +

Times thanked
< 0
RIP Graffitti hall of fame
and respect to Tony Spanos the man who made it what it was
I still see him once a month putting on free BBq's for the kids
down at the Bondi board riders
Wanna Break vs Sound Advice
featuring Jamie Stevens SAT 30th June Burdekin hotel lvl 1+2

coming soon Wanna Break vs 6 degrees

where the party at !!
www.wannabreak.net
www.kittkatt.net
Chizzle +

Twisted Instigator

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by robin banks

RIP Graffitti hall of fame
and respect to Tony Spanos the man who made it what it was
I still see him once a month putting on free BBq's for the kids
down at the Bondi board riders

i'm getting a new camera this week and I'm going to go and take a few photos of it as it is now...

I'll post them when I have.

Chiz
THINGS OWN YOU
RadioDog +

Warehouse Tragic

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by minsky

What about the time were some guys stood over this little guy and took his gold chain, He went home and came back with a knife, he pulled the knife on one of them and said i want my chain back or something along those lines and they all scarpered. Not sure what the little guy did then, I think he just left.

Might have been in '94 ... but I was behind the counter with Munch Prod at the GHoF and I remember my e kicking in just as a gun went off. I can only remeber being pushed out of harms way by Tony and Leone and the chaos that followed.

My favourite party there was a Spiral Tribe party with Jim Turbs (uk) and some MC spinning Rabbit City records all night. Heaven! 163bpm!
Brother Al +

A State of Pants

Times thanked
< 4
Hardcore Heaven was fucking awesome - one of the best memories of my life. I reckon i spent a good part of the night staring at that Jesus graffitti up high. Man those sprays were awesome. Also the Adidas chicks at the top of the stairs were awesome too lasers making sylvester the cat hehe its funny how things end up working out for the best...

I drive past it now and then on my way to airport. Good times.
Right, i'm bored. Turn on the lasers.
Royal +

Times thanked
< 86
Did anyone get down there to grab some photos?
minsky +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal

Did anyone get down there to grab some photos?

Funny you should ask.

I made the trek down to Sydney to visit the my parents today and decided to drop by and take a look at what had become of the place. (Chizzle's post re getting a camera reminded me to take mine, . I snapped some shots for old times sake. Here is what i got.

http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...W_06127657.jpg
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...W_06138121.jpg
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...G_06157402.jpg
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...G_06176915.jpg
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...G_06188186.jpg
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...G_06199321.jpg
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...G_06207945.jpg
http://www.PhotoShare.co.nz/PhotoSha...G_06215358.jpg

Defiantly not the way I choose to remember the place.

So Sad.

Cheers

M

Last edited by minsky: 21-Aug-06 at 08:34am

Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
< 0
can someone tell me (or pm me) where this is?

midian?

...ive heard awsum stories and im gonna bloody well get some good quality pics if thier gonna destroy this landmark!
minsky +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie Darko

can someone tell me (or pm me) where this is?

midian?

...ive heard awsum stories and im gonna bloody well get some good quality pics if thier gonna destroy this landmark!

It is located on Botany Rd at Alexandria.

Cheers

M
cosmic_seadog +

Scent of Man

Times thanked
< 3
botany rd near corner of mandible st, just next door to puma factory
BOOGIE DANCE CAFE - Fridays 11pm - Eastside Radio 89.7FM
polanski +

Times thanked
< 0
cheers minsky appreciate the photo's....nice one........
rayva +

aka smileytshirt

Times thanked
< 0
Wow thanks minsky!!!!

I search all over the net for photos of the GHOF, but couldnt find any. CHEERS!!!

Its quite sad how its all ended up.
v00d00 +

Times thanked
< 0
Hey minsky, those photo links don't work anymore.... I'm a mate of Spanos's through boardriders and am doing a graffiti project and would love to use your photos!
twenty3 +

Times thanked
< 3
i lived down in mascot, used to love that place when i was a kid
Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »