The DJ Booth

Who thinks vinyl is dead... or dying a slow painful death?

View Poll Results: Is vinyl dead.. or dying a slow painful death?
Yes vinyl is dead 11 4.44%
Vinyl isnt dead yet.. but it soon will be 47 18.95%
Vinyl will still be used for a while yet 77 31.05%
Vinyl will never die 113 45.56%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Tools
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
Who thinks vinyl is dead... or dying a slow painful death?
Its been a fair while since we have addressed this question.. But as I havent seen a big international on God knows how long.. i thought i would ask u people.

With the insane price of vinyl, and the insane value of 320KBPS MP3s.. its seems to me that literally hundreds of DJs are joining the dark side every week. I dare say that the vast majority of beginner DJs are choosing digital formats these days as well.

For me its just about economics, being able to get a song whenever i want it, and not having to carry around a massive crate.

Oh also.. i dont mean 'dead' absolutely.. there will always be at least a small handful DJs who spin vinyl.. i.e. some of the hip hop/breaks guys and those obsessed with white labels.

So.. how long till vinyl is 'dead'?

Last edited by Buey: 10-Aug-06 at 09:02pm

DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
Yeah these days I get all my tunes from places like Beatport and Stompy and mix them on two different setups, one is my midi controller on the PC and the other is my decks/mixer/serato setup but even though I've stopped buying new vinyl I still love mixing with control vinyls. Being able to mix with any sample, or cut up and edit tracks before mixing them is awesome.

As much as I love the smell and feel of buying a new rekkid, a $17 12" which usually contains a few versions of the same song I'll never play vs a $2 320kbps ch00n is no comp.
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
<
Just wish they'd release more dubstep tunes on MP3! Bah!
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
<
vinyl will be around as long as CDs are... and at the current look of things with SACD and DVD-Audio, that's gonna be a long time.

Vinyl production is increasing. And not just in the dance genres. Punks fkn love their vinyl.
Commando Sting +

mnml avtr

Times thanked
<
vinyl4eva!
fck mnml the new buzzword is maximal
RobbievanBasten +

aka... Robbie Santiago

Times thanked
<
Don't real DJ's only use vinyl?

Digital is fantastic, cheap and easy - But Vinyl has tangible qualities that at times justify the extra $$.

Mixture of both ftw!
DUSTCHILD +

Times thanked
<
Aslong as Serato Scratch doesn't die i'll still be using them.
tecks +

madliberated

Times thanked
<
im not sure.

yes more and more internationals are switching to cd's, but i guess that's mostly for convenience. if you read interviews most say they prefer to use vinyl at home. bedroom/local dj's, yes more are switching due to price, but most of the local guys you see playing out are still 80% vinyl.

and as phunk said, there has been a big boom in vinyl amongst the punk/rock crowds.
jazam +

Times thanked
<
since the decline of cd sales, its interesting to note that a lot of sales for "indie" records has increased.
also, in order for vinyl to survive i think they need to make a greater effort in trying to innovate. Through the use of beat tools, sounds, accapellas etc.
How good would it be to buy the latest 12" which comes with short looped samples of the lead riff etc.
I hope you understand wat im talkin abt
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecks

im not sure.

bedroom/local dj's, yes more are switching due to price, but most of the local guys you see playing out are still 80% vinyl.

I have to disagree with that hey.. i frequent about 4 clubs.. and about half the locals play only CDs.. and the other half play mostly CDs with a few vinyls.

There are some songs that only make it to vinyl.. so its good to find that secret bomb that no one else will have. But yeah i think generally most professional djs are using vinyl because they can get the latest tracks so easily and quickly. Its not even about the price for a lot of them (im assuming).. its just so easy to sit on ur PC and browse files in about a tenth of the time it takes u to go record shopping physically.
bojangles +

Spunky Monkey

Times thanked
<
Viva La Vinyl!!!, I am a total vinyl junkie, and alot of the releases I am after don't come out on any other medium, either way I still love the feeling you get when you walk into the studio and it is wall to wall of vinyl, sure it's harder to move around, but i am and always will be a die hard vinyl fan. And if things are going the way you suggest, maybe using vinyl will be the way to stand out in the future. The only CD's I play are songs I have written, cause no one will sign me yet so I can put them on VINYL!!

But remember the days when DJ's that only played CD's used to get flamed hardcore!! Oh my how the times have changed.

If vinyl has lasted this long, why die now? It's outlived cassettes and Mini Disc and beta max (ha ha this reminds me of that Hilarious Mighty Boosh Episode ha ha ha ) anywas. I'm all for the vinyl

Much Peace
wenn ihr den scheiss hier fuehlt schreit!!
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
<
records would have to be the longest running recording format methinks? (feel free to prove me wrong)
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
its a shame that vinyl is too expensive...
and that it cant handle decent bass waveforms.
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
Ooh! The can of worms has now been opened.
alowflyingpig +

FunKy ElEctRo

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbievanBasten

Mixture of both ftw!

Agreed!

Vinyl will never die as long as there is a demand for it, it will stick around..

Altho I'm finding myself more and more lately going for my CD wallet rather than my crate to play a tune.. hmmmmmmmmm
a.k.a Adam Brookes

If I asked you a question, what would your answer be??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

I was a *** then and I'm still a *** now :***:

Dub DeLay +

check the intensive snare

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkdust

records would have to be the longest running recording format methinks? (feel free to prove me wrong)

I think you are probably right.

I think vinyl will do a slow but unpainful and almost but not complete death (how's that for grammar?). I think that the raw material is going to get very expensive. The lathes will gradually stop working and I doubt the art of cutting will survive. And digital will increase.

The Technics 1200 story is amazing, who would have thought it?
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
cheap skates and kids who expect this month's hottest tunes and tracks handed to them on a platter (or CDJ to be more accurate) for $20 have no care for vinyl.

"oh it costs too much"

well yea ... that's cos you get a great big piece of black plastic with the music on it, and that has to be driven and flown around a few places to get to you ... it's not like they sell you 5BM of HD space with every MP3 you D/L do they?

as a medium for reproducing music there is still a virtually unfathomable back catalogue of years and years and years of record production. What % of this do you think has been digitised and easily available online (at a cost or otherwise) ?

as a result, by their nature, records are collectable.

It also comes down to the value you place on the medium you use. I have no qualms what so ever emptying my wallet for some vinyl.

Some of the people who bemoan the (apparently prohibitive ) price of vinyl could well be people who fork out $40 for a Tshirt or $150 for a pair of shoes. well fuk that ... why waste money on a passing fashion when i can invest it in some music i enjoy and will always have and can share with others for years to come ... it's all about opportunity cost
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
P_A_Sime +

I'd have a crack :)

Times thanked
<
Vinyl will be around for as long as people continue to buy it.
Juggalo Muli +

Sven ****ing Vath

Times thanked
<
i haven't bought a vinyl since about march this year... i actually sold one of my turntables and bought a 2nd cdj.

I still play my old stuff on vinyl, but not much.

It's mainly a cost thing for me, i have a mortgage, so yea, don't have money to waste on it.

Also convenience, for example, got a gig this weekend, bought 10 tunes, had them straight away.
meet me in the cl0ud

http://www.mixcloud.com/m00f/
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

Some of the people who bemoan the (apparently prohibitive ) price of vinyl could well be people who fork out $40 for a Tshirt or $150 for a pair of shoes. well fuk that ... why waste money on a passing fashion when i can invest it in some music i enjoy and will always have and can share with others for years to come ... it's all about opportunity cost

True i see your point. Each to their own.. if you have a passion for vinyl then its not money wasted.

However in relation to fashion trends, music trends change just as often. Unless you are the most stringent and tight ass vinyl purchaser that only buys classics that they KNOW they will always play, i doubt they will be playing all the vinyl they bought ten years ago. i.e. money spent on out of fashion records is just as 'wasted' as money spent on out of fashion clothes.
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
I question i should have asked is this, what medium you play when you play out? Or what would you play?

I have vinyl, but only play CDs out.

I think a few people may be in the same boat.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buey

I have vinyl, but only play CDs out.

Why don't you play the vinyl out? Too soft to carry it?

Love vinyl, always will.
Digital has its merits, but it's just not the same...sure it's cheaper, but it's worth nothing as data on you PC or a CD with marker scrawled on it. It has no colectability whatsoever
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buey

However in relation to fashion trends, music trends change just as often. Unless you are the most stringent and tight ass vinyl purchaser that only buys classics that they KNOW they will always play, i doubt they will be playing all the vinyl they bought ten years ago. i.e. money spent on out of fashion records is just as 'wasted' as money spent on out of fashion clothes.

quality music defies time and fashion trends

i buy records that are 2-15 years old way more often than anything released in the past 6 months.

I might not be continually playing the records i bought 10 years ago ... because i have a lot more now so they come up less often in rotation. They still have their place and their time though.

This thread seems to have to DJing aspect firmly affixed to it. When i started collecting records i had no intention of becoming a DJ ... i was (and still am) just a music collector ... i also happen to like graphic design, packaging and album art ... so i keep buying records. DJing is a challaenging hobby that occasionally pays for my vinyl habit

funkedub dot com

Juggalo Muli +

Sven ****ing Vath

Times thanked
<
i started buying trance vinyl... now i play house etc...

have very little interest in busting out on the trance vinyl now.

just as i wont wear my hypercolour t-shirt
meet me in the cl0ud

http://www.mixcloud.com/m00f/
House Atreides +

mispelors ov t wrld untie

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Dude it was the first recording format invented.

But its like this, I play bass in a rock band and the bass i own is totally shit however, In it i have some top end Pick ups.
Essentially the sound that outputs is that of a $3500 bass, meaning the cost i paid dosn't reflect the sound it produces.
Now i could go out and buy a top end bass and put my top end pick ups in it. What has changed? to the punter the LOOK to me the FEEL because it will sound the same.

the same can be argued with vinyal CD/mp3....... essentially they all out put the same sound, (some people say they can hear the difference, i and no person i have EVER asked/tested can, but you may be able to) its not about the sound, its the LOOK and FEEL.

The look of going into a club with a case slung over each shoulder, every one knows that a dj has entered the room, and you will feel good to be noticed.

The feel of slapping down two bits'o'vinyal on the wheels of steel and letting the bass fly........ or pluggin in serato and slapping down two bits'o'vinyal on the wheels of steel and letting the bass fly.......

a) its not about the sound
b) its about the look
c) its not about the feel (serato/vinyal)
d) personal preferance

I buy vinyal, i know its expensive but it always has been and till i get my own record press it will always be and i let others do the complaining for me (see below)

However when i get a spare $1000 i WILL use serato as well.

so really its all down to D) personal preferance

any questions?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 do do do do do do do do do do do do do doooooo

Last edited by House Atreides: 11-Aug-06 at 10:47am

big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
wrong (although the first method was quite similar)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
I should clarify that when I say its too expensive
I am referring to the affordability of releasing tracks on vinyl
even at $1000 for 100 white labels is hard to achieve when
you are just startin out.
Its more like $2000 for 100 if you do proper artwork & covers.

With digital I can lay down a track and be selling it within two days.
There are many artists like me that are very happy with this and
I am guessing that there are plenty of DJs and music lovers who
also like this method.
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by House Atreides

c) its not about the feel (serato/vinyal)

oh but it is about the feel ...

as some one once said about mixing CDs ... "it's like making love at long distance"

there's something about being able to put your fingers on the very medium the sound is on and directly manipulate that, which digital technology has great troubles trying to "emulate"

However, as far as music distribution goes in regards the numbers you can reach and relative cost ... the digital age is unparalleled

funkedub dot com

Andy_Matter +

Times thanked
<
I'm interested if there is anyone that is pro vinyl that is young, like < 20?
Never confused.
House Atreides +

mispelors ov t wrld untie

Times thanked
<
Funkedub

i was insuating that there is no differnence between djing mp3 through serato and using vinyal
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 do do do do do do do do do do do do do doooooo
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

However, as far as music distribution goes in regards the numbers you can reach and relative cost ... the digital age is unparalleled

Deffinately! The fact that Johnny producer can make a track, even mid flight on a laptop, upload it to any one of many hosting sites, send the link to all the people he knows, they can download it and play it in a club that very night is fucking awesome.

But still, data = worthless, vinyl = collectable

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

white lie +

Times thanked
<
I'm definately pro vinyl, but when interest rates and petrol costs (and even the cost of my banana's) start to go thru the roof, somethings gotta give. I can no longer afford to buy 5 tunes for $100 when I can get 40-50 for the same money... Maybe when I get a high paying job i'll start adding to my vinyl collection again.
Keep it Loud, And make me Proud
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by white lie

buy 5 tunes for $100

i've never done that ... i might be a vinyl junkie ... but i am a frugle one !!

funkedub dot com

DJSausageParty +

Times thanked
<
Vinyl is not dead or dying, just people who are willing to pay for music are.

Or at least pay $20 for an ep.
NormanBates +

Times thanked
<
Are they still making vinyl???
My dad told me about records....
But seriously, i love mixing off vinyl and probably allways will. The sound quality issue is a big one for me though, in terms of degredation over time, general clarity, stereo separation, dynamic range to name but a few issues. And lets face it, its really all about the music right? Im not a huge fan of MP3 format although its great for sending stuff across the internet fast.
As much as i love mixing with records, i'd take a proper cd copy over a piece of vinyl any day.
IMO the wax will live on, but CD's are the future/present (depending on where you're at)
huey-666 +

Times thanked
<
i'm just 20 and i only got into vinyl this year, i love it and i'm a uni student whom sometimes goes without food just so i can go to the record store. Part of my love of vinyl is the record store too, its a nice friendly place where you can grab some wax take it for a test whirl and if your a bit stumped then you can always ask the guy whats goin fast / is hot. In the defence of digital i think its great and i'm looking to get a CD player soon but i can see my files and cd's getting lost, my records are my fav thing, i noticed one was missing today and am gutted.
I have been known to fork out over $100 for records in one trip, i've probably done it like 5 times.
Bossanova...
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Cost is a bit of a catch 22 really.
While buying legal downloads is cheaper than vinyl, you A) have a PC or laptop and B) have a CDJ to make it worth while

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by huey-666

Part of my love of vinyl is the record store too, its a nice friendly place where you can grab some wax take it for a test whirl and if your a bit stumped then you can always ask the guy whats goin fast / is hot.

This is a pretty important part of the whole culture for me as well.

You can feel/hear the quality of the different vinyl too ... it's not that uncommon to find 2 copies of the same record from different countries of presses ... can make quite a difference.

And of course the social aspect is damn nice to ... be it chatting to the folks working in the store ... or mates you bump into feeding their addiction.

although i can't say i've ever cared to ask "what's hot"

funkedub dot com

Andy_Matter +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

While buying legal downloads is cheaper than vinyl, you A) have a PC or laptop and B) have a CDJ to make it worth while

In Perth we have a virtual vinyl store where you can use their computers to download mp3s, burn CDs or just put them on your iPod. I know the eastern states is always behind but I'm sure it will catch on over there soon.

http://www.ivinyl.com.au/

Seriously though - how many aspiring DJs don't have a computer?
Never confused.
ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
<
This topic has been done to death. Maybe in 5 years the thread would be worth doing.

Maybe.
fffffffff
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
This topic is constantly evolving and therefore will be reviewed constantly
until things settle down
so add your 2 cents or dont comment....
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
Dj DeKay +

~====~~~====~

Times thanked
<
vinyl and cds are going to be around for a loooong time...
-/--_=== _->>+<<<><--==---_*_
Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Punks fkn love their vinyl.

So much so that many bands will only release on small-run vinyl pressings, keeping with the DIY and store rummaging aesthetic of underground punk.
tecks +

madliberated

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_Matter

I'm interested if there is anyone that is pro vinyl that is young, like < 20?

Well I'm (almost) 21, so fairly young, and have been collecting vinyl for a couple of years. I definitely love having a big collection of records with labels and cover art, rather than CD's written on with a texta. That said I will definitely be adding a CDJ to my setup when I can afford one. Mostly the ability to put bits of my on production in, or play around with loops and samples is attractive. I'm also considering an SP-404 for this though.

Anyway one of my mates who is 20 has had CDJ's for a bit over two years and last month he forked out for two SL1210M5G's, and started collecting vinyl...

Quote:

Originally Posted by House Atriedes

Now i could go out and buy a top end bass and put my top end pick ups in it. What has changed? to the punter the LOOK to me the FEEL because it will sound the same.

well actually if you do a bit of research about the way pickups interact with the wood they're stuck in you'll see that a top end body made from good wood can make a big difference to your tone.
</guitar geek>
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitsmasher

So much so that many bands will only release on small-run vinyl pressings, keeping with the DIY and store rummaging aesthetic of underground punk.

I have a great collection of very limited run live sets in mp3
from some of the most fucked up units making techno
fresh as the moment they were uploaded....

...ahhh, technology, techno & the inet,
instant love.

Also got a few prelim tracks the same way,
before they get fucked up and squeezed
onto vinyl

MySpace

Back from tha dead!
ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaossproject

This topic is constantly evolving and therefore will be reviewed constantly
until things settle down
so add your 2 cents or dont comment....

That was my 2 cents.
fffffffff
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
it was only worth 1
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
Rabicemann +

Times thanked
<
vinyl is better for the senses. you can see it, you can smell it, you can feel it. seeing a record spinning round is a very powerful thing. you can see the grooves and when they are beat to shit.

to me digital stuff seems very sterile...
"To be honest with you, I think they should just eliminate the Olympics all together and replace it with the World Beard and Moustache Championships."

-- Grant Parpan, Staff Writer, the Signal, Santa Clarita, California, November 4, 2003.
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabicemann

vinyl is better for the senses. you can see it, you can smell it, you can feel it. seeing a record spinning round is a very powerful thing. you can see the grooves and when they are beat to shit.

to me digital stuff seems very sterile...

def agree with the rotation thing there
one of my favourite pieces of vinyl for that
is a Louis Bellson 10" with a scratch at exactly
the right point and it just rotates in that loop
so beautifully
you put it on and its swing jazz from 1940s
so it is quirky
and then at about 1min in she gets locked
in this loop that caves my head in everytime

...goes off to put vinyl on deck...
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
Dj DeKay +

~====~~~====~

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecks

Anyway one of my mates who is 20 has had CDJ's for a bit over two years and last month he forked out for two SL1210M5G's, and started collecting vinyl...

hmm im thinking of the same thing, ive got 2x Denon DN-S3500's and have started out with cds, im waiting till i get a bit more cash and get some technics and collect vinyl .. mind u im still pretty young
-/--_=== _->>+<<<><--==---_*_

« Previous Thread Next Thread »