The DJ Booth

Who thinks vinyl is dead... or dying a slow painful death?

View Poll Results: Is vinyl dead.. or dying a slow painful death?
Yes vinyl is dead 11 4.44%
Vinyl isnt dead yet.. but it soon will be 47 18.95%
Vinyl will still be used for a while yet 77 31.05%
Vinyl will never die 113 45.56%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Tools
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
Make no mistake.. if i could afford to buy vinyl.. i would! It definitely feels better than a cdj.. and i too love the organic qualities of vinyl. The feel, the smell, the look, the artwork, the sleeves, the record shops, the nostalgia.. all those romantic notions.

In fact when i first got into DJing.. i got two technics 1210MK5G's.. those were the most beautiful machines ive ever seen.. i loved them to pieces. But after 6 months.. i only had about 30 tunes - and half of them borrowed - and being a poor uni student, it was killing me that i could only afford 1 record a week if that so i had to switch.

I think another factor for me was that I live on the Gold Coast and there are no big decent record shops here.. the closest are in bris an hour away so that was really inconvenient.

So i sold my tech's (and cried when they left) and bought some cdj1000s and have never looked back (accept about once a month when i look at the photos of took of my techs). The fact that i can browse tracks, buy them, and be playing them within minutes is a massively welcomed change from my 1 tune a week.

Another point id like to make is that, i thought it was a bit irresponsible of me to be spending all my spare money on vinyl. Im obsessed with music as much as the next guy (ive even ditched girlfriends over it) so dont tell me that if i loved it enough i wouldnt care about the cost. So many people spend thousands of dollars on vinyl, at this stage in my life being the young guy i am, i felt i should have been putting the money towards something constructive such as a house deposit which - i have since done so. Vinyl is a waste of money IMO for something that is basically a hobby, especially considering i can still enjoy that hobby for a much cheaper price. Cause lets face it, i doubt many if any of us (although i hope an itmer makes it big!) od going to be the next Sasha.

I will always miss my techs, but my bank balance certainly wont.

ps. just out of interest, how much do you vinyl junkie DJ's spend on stylus/cartridge costs per year for example? No one has mentioned that yet.. i know cdjs cost a lot more at the outset.. but man some of the cartridges/stylus are like 300 bucks.. i dont think it would take u long to erode what you save with vinyl decks.

Last edited by Buey: 11-Aug-06 at 11:50pm

saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
im 19 and started off with vinyl, and dont have any cd players, but im looking into using my laptop. I spend msot of my wage on vinyl everyweek, and sure, I can have as many tunes, however, i prefer quality over quantity, because vinyl is expesnive, nearly every tune i buy is somethign i love, and will not get bored of or nethign.

However, if i look at the amount of money ive spent on vinyl, i could have bought 2 numark CDX's so yeah. I reckon i will eventually sell one deck, but i wont stop using or buying vinyl anytime in the future.
white lie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buey

ps. just out of interest, how much do you vinyl junkie DJ's spend on stylus/cartridge costs per year for example? No one has mentioned that yet.. i know cdjs cost a lot more at the outset.. but man some of the cartridges/stylus are like 300 bucks.. i dont think it would take u long to erode what you save with vinyl decks.

While a complete pair of ortofon's will set you back close on $250-300, the replacement stylii are only around $50 each. You would have to be cranking some serious tune time (or be very reckless with them) to have to replace them any more than once a year. Upgrading them used to get me everytime though... I was always ready to splurge on new carts, then as soon as I get in the store, i'm like "oh but I can have so many tunes for $300!". Same goes with record bags/cases.
Keep it Loud, And make me Proud
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<
thank god Laser Discs didn't catch on... imagine having to drag a crate of those puppies around...
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

But after 6 months.. i only had about 30 tunes - and half of them borrowed - and being a poor uni student, it was killing me that i could only afford 1 record a week if that so i had to switch.

as generally agreed, tune selection is a huge part of being a DJ.

knowing and understanding your sounds and the way they relate to each other as well as understanding their roots goes a long way to making you a better Dj

There's only one way to develop this ... over time. You don't have to buy new releases every week. Go and find random $8 shit ... that's how much i paid for one of my Purpose Maker 12"s

This argument of not having enough tune NOW just doesn't cut it with me. (but i am more a collector 1st ... Dj 2nd). I'm not buying records to get gigs ... i'm just exploring the sounds i like.

I don't care how long it takes me to get my sounds together. The journey of digging for sounds is more important for me personally than trying to get enough cool records to rock a club ... or something.

Quote:

Another point id like to make is that, i thought it was a bit irresponsible of me to be spending all my spare money on vinyl.

different people put different values on different things ... and it's not always about material values.

Quote:

your whole post just speaks from your wallet you know

I just let friends/family know around christmas and b'days that what would really make me happy would be a pair of fresh stylus. .. even if i go halves the money spent is still a drop in the ocean compared to what some people spend over the bar or gurnning hard over a weekend or 2
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik

thank god Laser Discs didn't catch on... imagine having to drag a crate of those puppies around...

but they'd look well wicked when you got into some beat juggling with them

funkedub dot com

Andy_Matter +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

There's only one way to develop this ... over time. You don't have to buy new releases every week. Go and find random $8 shit ... that's how much i paid for one of my Purpose Maker 12"s

How much of the $8 do you think went to the artist?

That is one of things I dislike about vinyl - it is keeping labels and artists poor.

I understand the joys of vinyl, I have a huge record collection but its been in storage for 3 years and I don't miss it at all.
Never confused.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy_Matter

How much of the $8 do you think went to the artist?

That is one of things I dislike about vinyl - it is keeping labels and artists poor.

none of it went to the artist .. it was 2nd hand

vinyl might not be a huge money spinner for artists ... but iTunes isn't exactly the best deal for artists either

funkedub dot com

Rabicemann +

Times thanked
<
don't the major labels screw the artists anyway regardless of the media it's released in.

i think another problem with mp3s and downloading tracks is that you can pick and choose stuff. you get one song off the album. how many people here have bought an album and the songs you hate at first end up being your favourites? you miss out on that when you get mp3s.

a good example is the gnarls barkley album - a brilliant album with heaps of of great tunes, but how many people do you think bypassed them and just got the frontline Crazy single?
"To be honest with you, I think they should just eliminate the Olympics all together and replace it with the World Beard and Moustache Championships."

-- Grant Parpan, Staff Writer, the Signal, Santa Clarita, California, November 4, 2003.
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Go and find random $8 shit ... that's how much i paid for one of my Purpose Maker...

different people put different values on different things ... and it's not always about material values....

your whole post just speaks from your wallet you know

Interesting points funk..Yeah i think that the fact u are a vinyl collecter 1st is the reason we have different views on this.

I dont want some random shit for $8.. i want song X by X.. and unless i randomly come across it in a second hand store which is unlikely, i have to buy it for 20 bucks a pop.

My whole post does speak from my wallet, that was my whole point. I love vinyl and would prefer vinyl but cant afford the habbit. Some people may be content with only buying 1 tune every fortnight but thats not me.. im too obsessed with music for that there are so many songs i love.

Yep ur right again.. people definitely do put different values on different things. But just because i dont spend all my money on vinyl when i can get the same music for a 10th of the price.. doesnt mean i value music any less than anyone else. I just need somewhere to live when my parents kick me out

But trust me.. when i become a millionaire.. my vinyl habit will be back in full swing
truba +

Times thanked
<
dunno about vynil dying i personally only buy vynil and more than once i've spent more than 80 bucks for a single ep. but i think cds are gonna die cause you can already buy numark decks that play only on memory sticks. the actual decks look pretty nice. that way you only rock up at the gig with a couple of sticks. vynil ftw
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
At the end of the day
there are just more choices
for the artist and the player

its a win-win really
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
SilverStreak +

'Loco'-'Motive'...

Times thanked
<
Vinyl collectors will collect vinyl.

I'm a vinyl collector, so I will collect vinyl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dribbler

I'm glad these forums are overpopulated, even if with many potheads, they provide serious bussiness ideas. The ones with the marijuana growing and child kidnapping ideas were the best, even if they were seriously off-topic. Thanx guys!

baax +

Times thanked
<
I like wax better,of coarse,most do,and at my joint, with my average setup it sounds better.
I can buy a shitload more data than wax though.
And i love having alot of new/varied gear around,something i could never do if i was buying vinyl only.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
Do you think that the large amount of people now buying MP3s will force vinyl prices down?

I know there is onyl so far prices can go down cause a vinyl is actually a big bit of cut plastic with a big glossy cover.. which costs money unlike data. But u would think that a decrease in demand would cause at least some amount of price drop?
discomagnet +

button badge land

Times thanked
<
^^ No probably not, vinyl won't come down in price. If anything it will only go up.
Rad Button Badges - www.discomagnet.com
saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
someone needs to open a vinyl pressing plant here, cos in Europe vinyl is soooo much cheaper than hear. All the shipping makes it expensive, so big plant here, would be good, if the labels wld let it press recors here. Also woul nencourage a lot more white labesl here
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
http://www.vinylfactory.com.au/da/32544

go to link to see that pressing is now being done in Aust....

still expensive
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
dopamine +

Disconnected Audio

Times thanked
<
I have a passion for music. I am not quite as bothered by the medium it's released on as long as it sounds good and I can manipulate it.

My biggest gripe at the moment is that so many of the labels that now do digital (or even digi only labels) are starting to get really lazy. When they were only doing vinyl for dj's you HAD to master it or the cut would sound fucking gash. These days almost half the music on beatport and other download sites is unmastered. It's fucking ridiculous. I complain bitterly to any label that sends me unmastered promos and i simply refuse to play them. Some labels treat me as if i'm being difficult but I am doing them a service by telling them their product is substandard. Some labels do thank me though.

There is also the issue of labels putting out stuff as mp3 that they dont think is strong enough for vinyl release.

So yeah it's not the medium but the attitude towards digital releases that sucks.
dopamine +

Disconnected Audio

Times thanked
<
Now go buy my records.
adamhatfield +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dopamine

Now go buy my records.

But I want a digi-download

Nice set from what I heard on sunday at sorted.

Meant to come and say hello but ended up legging it early

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

anything bigger tended to be crap and only bigger because theyre bigger, but not actually better and bigger at the same time therefore not better just bigger?

Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

So yeah it's not the medium but the attitude towards digital releases that sucks.

Agree 110%
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I
My biggest gripe at the moment is that so many of the labels that now do digital (or even digi only labels) are starting to get really lazy. When they were only doing vinyl for dj's you HAD to master it or the cut would sound fucking gash. These days almost half the music on beatport and other download sites is unmastered. It's fucking ridiculous. I complain bitterly to any label that sends me unmastered promos and i simply refuse to play them. Some labels treat me as if i'm being difficult but I am doing them a service by telling them their product is substandard. Some labels do thank me though.

until that kind of mess is effectively minimised theres no beating going into the record store and listening to excactly what yr about to buy ... CD or vinyl

funkedub dot com

karlsav +

mmm.

Times thanked
<
I wasn't going to say anything but thought fuck it I will:

I wouldn't have been able to buy my house recently had I kept going buying vinyl at the rate I did.
I always buy digital now or in rare circumstances buy a one off record. That said I haven't bought a piece of wax for nigh on 6 months now. Its just *way* too expensive. Anyone who calls me a "wah wah" for saying so I bet doesn't have a mortgage or a car loan - and probably will never have one.
My local record shop (bless them they are a great store) recently had a wah to me that everyone was buying offline and that vinyl sales were dropping. Then had a mini dig at me for playing mp3's only. I said to them, set up an online mp3 store and I will buy from them...

I have an extensive collection of vinyl which I love and will never sell, but Im sorry , digital has taken me over for cost, ease of transport and other reasons too.

Vinyl will never die (well not in the immediate future) but it is dropping in popularity. Sales indicate that at the local record shops here.

SO!..... until the next "is vinyl dead thread, ciao.
www.myspace.com/karlsav
Out Now:
Myagi - Thug (KS rmx)

Coming soon:

KS & Nikita - How I roll
Rhythm Mechanic - Systematic Roll (KS rmx)
High Eight - Open Your Eyes (KS rmx)
Mesmer - Le Fued Food (KS rmx)
Mesmer - Glaregaze (KS rmx)

kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
And vinyl release dont have quality of recording issues??

(however, I do agree that many digital tracks released are straight outa tha bedroom).
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaossproject

And vinyl release dont have quality of recording issues??

(however, I do agree that many digital tracks released are straight outa tha bedroom).

vinyl releases vary as much as digital releases sometimes.

but when you pick up a slab of CD or records and listen to them on the same setup in the record store ... you get an idea as to what's worth your $$$ and what isn't

funkedub dot com

kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
then when i do that at home
am i not also comparing apples with apples...??
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
House Atreides +

mispelors ov t wrld untie

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by tecks

well actually if you do a bit of research about the way pickups interact with the wood they're stuck in you'll see that a top end body made from good wood can make a big difference to your tone.
</guitar geek>

Really....... to the average punter??????

Quote:

Now go buy my records.

HA HA HA HA

We have been told!!!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 do do do do do do do do do do do do do doooooo

Last edited by House Atreides: 15-Aug-06 at 10:03pm

dopamine +

Disconnected Audio

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by House Atreides

Really....... to the average punter??????

No punter should be treated as average.
House Atreides +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

You missed the... oh never mind!

Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<
^ awsum username!

i love the DUNE books

/end hijack

o yeh on topic Klaus Hill said once he reckons vinyls got 5years left
i believe him

not that we both dont luv it..
r0bsta +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

My biggest gripe at the moment is that so many of the labels that now do digital (or even digi only labels) are starting to get really lazy. When they were only doing vinyl for dj's you HAD to master it or the cut would sound fucking gash. These days almost half the music on beatport and other download sites is unmastered. It's fucking ridiculous.

good point here - tho you got variable quality on vinyl depending on the producer/mastering engineer/label, the quality on digital releases is ridiculously variable.

Quote:

There is also the issue of labels putting out stuff as mp3 that they dont think is strong enough for vinyl release.

i can see why they do this tho, for them it is a minimal risk venture, if they put out a vinyl from a new artist then it could lose them money, if they put it out in digital only then it can only make them money, even if it's only a tiny amount. it's a good way to try to break/test new artitsts. or to make available tracks that mightn't be commercially viable on vinyl, and this especially can only be a good thing really.

back to is vinyl dying - i think it is. combination of a cdj with a decent interface and the spread of broadband internet (and hence download stores) will do for it soon, bar traditionalists and collectors. i used to love vinyl, i got into djing in the first place from collecting indie vinyl, but now i just don't like it that much. cdjs have every advantage as far as i can see - ease of use, loops/hot cues and other tricks, cds being lighter than vinyl (and hence you can pack more variety in your bag), the fact that every cdj (of the same model) responds the same way (whereas every technics is different depending on how well it's been looked after), being able to cue on buttons is a million times better... and so on... the only thing vinyl has is the aesthetic quality - it's tactile and looks the part. however shifting several thousand of them when you move flat is no joke.

the smaller the market becomes for vinyl too, the more it will make it harder to survive - as pressing costs will rise and fewer labels will be willing to risk putting out tracks on vinyl.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
digital = more music
digital = easier music production
digital = easier promotion of music
digital = more shit to sort through because now every man and his dog can "release" a track

funkedub dot com

dopamine +

Disconnected Audio

Times thanked
<

Quote:

digital = more music
digital = easier music production
digital = easier promotion of music
digital = more shit to sort through because now every man and his dog can "release" a track

Yes you are right, these are all good things.
baax +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

And isn't there some shit out there?
I was having a search through a few sites looking for some minimal style tunes but ones that have some oomph to them.
The boring, sound like everthing else dross i had to go through to find only one good tune was insane.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
hrdde +

Master of Decks

Times thanked
<
im 20 and just spent over $3500 on vinyl in the last 2 months, probably closer to $4000, the collectabilty and just the fact i can look at them and appreciate what my money has bought, not to mention when playing im playing on a physical medium which cannot be replicated imo, im all for mp3 as there cheap and convenient but i dare say the majority love the collectability of vinyl which inturn will keep the production of it going for a long time yet, how old is the vinyl medium now? i dunno ahah but its still being produced, the reason being, PEOPLE ARE STILL BUYING IT

Last edited by hrdde: 16-Aug-06 at 04:11pm

hrdde +

Master of Decks

Times thanked
<
by the way not to mention the amount of limited press white labels, you cant get them on mp3 sites and some of these white labels are pure gold in the way of choonage
white label mp3, only 500 to download, bahahahha how stupid
and not being able to get a car or home loan, thats no intirely true, depends how much you spend, sure i had a big splurge, but i just got a car loan of $40000 for a subi foz xt my05, and the end of next year i plan to be going for a home loan, im still going to buy vinyl though, im addicted

Last edited by hrdde: 16-Aug-06 at 05:07pm

House Atreides +

Times thanked
<
S E R A T O

best of both worlds.

P.S. Thanks Donny...

Oh and apparently there is some dude in New Zealand who presses 100 units for like $500...... This was told to me by a free form jazz/noise guy, who get's his stuff there........ Of course i have lost his number........
soulshine +

I love/hate golf

Times thanked
<
I'll miss all the beautiful cover art. Another industry that will suffer due to digital downloads

Shiny new site

Last edited by soulshine: 16-Aug-06 at 08:07pm

Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by House Atreides

S E R A T O

Would you say the majorit of serato users are bedroom bangers?

I cant remember ever seeing a DJ use serato at a club.

One negative point about Digital is that, because of the cheap price of digital downloads.. and the speed at which u can get new songs.. you definitely dont get to know yours songs as well. Having a shit load of music is definitely a catch 22.
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

My biggest gripe at the moment is that so many of the labels that now do digital (or even digi only labels) are starting to get really lazy. When they were only doing vinyl for dj's you HAD to master it or the cut would sound fucking gash. These days almost half the music on beatport and other download sites is unmastered.

Excuse my ignorance.. but how is a song different when it is unmastered/mastered? What is the mastering process? Is it easy to tell if a song is unmastered?

That sucks about beatport tunes not being mastered.. does it effect DJing? or is the sound quality just lower?

Cheers
Juggalo Muli +

Sven ****ing Vath

Times thanked
<
you haven't noticed?

You can buy some tracks, and the volume levels are so different, some sound really harsh too.

sucks when you are paying for it!
meet me in the cl0ud

http://www.mixcloud.com/m00f/
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrdde

when playing im playing on a physical medium which cannot be replicated imo

Once again for the cheap seats at the back ....

SERATO BABY!
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
A bit off topic but...

I was thinking about getting Serato instead of a 2nd CDJ.
What are peoples experiences using both?

One of the guys at DJW did a demo of SSL, and its looks as good as if not better than using a CDJ.

Has anyone seen the NAMM video of M-Audios new DJ gear?
It looks awesome. You can even use Midi devices to activate different samples and use it like SSL.
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juggalo Muli

you haven't noticed?

You can buy some tracks, and the volume levels are so different, some sound really harsh too.

sucks when you are paying for it!

That really gripes. Some tracks ive bought have stupidly low levels and the quality aint the greatest as well. Whats teh point having a 320k mp3 if it sounds like shite?
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Fusion

Once again for the cheap seats at the back ....

SERATO BABY!

Serato sounds awesome.. but dont u need a laptop for that? I cant see it really being viable if you want to play in a club.. i suppose you could bring in your laptop and other gear but it would be a bit of a mission wouldnt it?

Awesome for house parties tho.
bojangles +

Spunky Monkey

Times thanked
<
Dude, before you get flamed.....Yeah it's not that big a deal to take a laptop to the club
wenn ihr den scheiss hier fuehlt schreit!!

Last edited by bojangles: 22-Aug-06 at 11:28am

johnjay +

Times thanked
<
simple: people still collect cards and comics when you can just view them on the computer via the net? WHy coz its cool to have the physical form and collect it for the love of it.
Its a hobby it;ll never die
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangles

Dude, before you get flammed.....Yeah it's not that big a deal to take a laptop to the club

well i have never seen anyone do it.. except sasha.. and well.. he's sasha. And it was set up the whole night waiting for him.

Ive never even seen a serato setup.. but do u really think it would be easy to rock up to a busy club where the crowd is jumping and try and set all your gear up, find powerpoints and rca inputs and other plugs, in a dark and dingy DJ booth all the while trying to stay out of the outgoing DJs way?

Anyway i dont know.. im probably wrong ive never even seen a serato set up. But yeah just my initial thoughts.

flammed? flamed.
bojangles +

Spunky Monkey

Times thanked
<
Oh I thought you meantt laptops in general......And I have seen a few people using it now (don't know if it was serato or FS) but there is a guy at bungalow 8 that uses it there a bit, seen someone at Candy's just last weekend only use a laptop.

It happens alot.

Oh and as for flammed> thanks for the spelling correction, and pointing out my ppparkinsons.....*cough*
wenn ihr den scheiss hier fuehlt schreit!!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »