The DJ Booth

Who thinks vinyl is dead... or dying a slow painful death?

View Poll Results: Is vinyl dead.. or dying a slow painful death?
Yes vinyl is dead 11 4.44%
Vinyl isnt dead yet.. but it soon will be 47 18.95%
Vinyl will still be used for a while yet 77 31.05%
Vinyl will never die 113 45.56%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Tools
rquinsee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj DeKay

hmm im thinking of the same thing, ive got 2x Denon DN-S3500's and have started out with cds, im waiting till i get a bit more cash and get some technics and collect vinyl .. mind u im still pretty young

Ditto

Im 23, I have 2x Denon 3000s and 2x American Audio HD turntables. Ive only been playing for around a year and collected maybe 50 vinyls and many many more digital downloads.

By now, i have all these CDs with 'sony' and 'verbatim' on them and a shit load of texta.

I cant organise my CD collection, hate blank CDs and CD booklets, and really cant get into p3s on a comp screen. And, as a result of this in-personnel music collecting been a little turned off from the whole thing.

So, after trying both, i think i will be focusing back on the more expensive vinyl, happy to have a smaller (more selective), but more personal - material record collection - with art!

Thanks for readin!
rquinsee +

Times thanked
<
One negative point about Digital is that, because of the cheap price of digital downloads.. and the speed at which u can get new songs.. you definitely dont get to know yours songs as well. Having a shit load of music is definitely a catch 22.[/quote]

One more point - this is another reason for my change - I have downloaded like 300 tracks in the last few months - I dig them all, but couldnt tell you which is which if you asked me. I go through my CD book and blindly pick one and mix! lol, and obviously this is a trap i really want to change asap.
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
<
I'll never stop playing records, I love them too much.
AS001

AS002
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
I just counted 6 cdj threads on the front page. Thats insane.
pfalzon +

Paulie Falzonie

Times thanked
<
I use both. I like both formats and they both have their pro's and Con's. I think the
main issue that will kill Vinyl is the price. I get payed monthly so if I have some cash leftover its Vinyl Shopping. If I'm eating Beans on Toast and 2min Noodles its Beatport.com.
Dec0n +

Watermelon Man

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buey

I just counted 6 cdj threads on the front page. Thats insane.

I counted 3 started by the same user
Blue Otani
House Atreides +

mispelors ov t wrld untie

Times thanked
<
i dont think that they really will price them selves out of the market, as they have been relativly steady for what 15 years now..........

I was in a mates store today and he has go in the new pearl jam album.Realeased on record.

If a major is releasing a rock album on vinyal, then is it safe to assume that there may be some life left in it yet.

Oh and for all those who say its to expensive (i fall ito this catagory as well) GET A FUCKING JOB, YOU FUCKIN BUM!!!!!!!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 do do do do do do do do do do do do do doooooo
BOKSOFROX +

hey you

Times thanked
<
Well, I don't think vinyl will ever truly die. It may get pressed out in fewer quantities, but there will always be some sort of niche market. The pressing plants may find themselves out of business, with a lack of records to press in the future; but there will still be individuals who insist on having vinyl records. This will mean that there will always be room for cutting houses, even if it means cutting a battle scratch record.

As long as there are people willing to use vinyl records, there is always someone willing to cut them. It'll get more expensive... but it'll have an antiquated charm about it that not even serato could emulate.
8==D8==Dchicks
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
rekkids are sexier

CDJs are not sexy

neither are laptops

vinyl is hot

and let's face it ... that's what's REALLY important !
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
dopamine +

Disconnected Audio

Times thanked
<
I fear for anyone's sanity that find dead horses sexy.
The Good Doctor +

House Music is a healer

Times thanked
<
I probably have a entirely different perspective to most of the other posts here. I've been DJing in clubs for around 15 years. In the early days it was a mixture of vinyl and CD's (played on those awfull early Denon units).
As the CD technology improved I moved totally over to CD's (purchased ones). Back then many of the labels pressed CD singles as well as vinyl. Playing House it is rather difficult getting hold of quality tracks on CD...thank God for labels like NRK, etc.
As mentioned by someone on here; a few years ago being a DJ playing off CD was deemed "not authentic or cool" but I persisted and how times have changed.
I still continue to play off purchased CD's and yes it is often as expensive as vinyl.
The whole download thing has never really inspired me as I also see myself as a music collector and somehow disposable bits of data just dosen't cut it.
Sure I'll admit there are some benfits to the download era, but I see far too many young pups downloading every latest track picked up from a setlist by Mr BIGNAME DJ and these guys have thousands of tracks with no real attachment to the music or really knowing their tracks.
Sure it's often hard getting sourcing great House music on CD but I see the format as the nice middle ground and with Pioneer's ever improving technology it works for me.

*Real artwork sleeves also make tracks so much easier to find in the crate than a folder full of blank CD's with some felt tip writing on it.
white lie +

Times thanked
<
Just another question I thought I'd throw in to the equation since I've been thinking a lot about it myself...

Does anyone see CD's dying? Personally, I do and see them going out of fashion far earlier than vinyl. The next big phase is memory cards. Pioneer have started it on their overseas players as well as a couple of other makers. I believe numark are doing a memory card only player somewhere in the pipework. It doesn't exactly bother me as they're both data mediums, but people carrying around a couple of 2 gig SD cards in their pocket as their set does have an unexplainable feeling about it.
Keep it Loud, And make me Proud
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
DVDJing

funkedub dot com

djtoastytraxx +

On the board walk......

Times thanked
<
Cds all the way!

and a occasional record that you cant get on CD, just to allow for one or two vinyls in a set, adds to the excitment and fun of putting a record down to play.

Last edited by djtoastytraxx: 25-Aug-06 at 12:48pm

Play with Shaun +

Times thanked
<
Yes, it will die as a mass medium. Simple market forces will prevail. It will become a very niche product.
Upcoming:
PUSH // White Bar, Fitzroy Street // NYE!
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
in terms of lifespan, CDs are going to be shortlived compared to vinyl.

digital mass storage devices are so much smaller and cheaper than a book of CDs

so stop lugging that big old book of CDs around and get with the times ya old hippies !!

funkedub dot com

rquinsee +

Times thanked
<
All the people that DJ with CDs....

How do you organise our collections? Do you keep the organized on a computer? or do you do something else like burn each release to CD and make own artwork etc?

or do you just have them all on burnt blank disks labeled with texta?
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
With intergroove going bust.. unfortunately i think its only a matter of time.

"Prominent dance music distributors Intergroove has gone bust, leaving many record labels out in the cold and many industry sources trumpeting this as the nail in the coffin for vinyl, especially following the rise of digital downloads.

Intergroove – which is responsible for distributing vinyl and CDs from labels such as Finger Lickin’, TCR, Adrift, Baroque, Four Twenty, Cocoon, Get Physical, Sex On Wax and Silver Planet – was one of the world’s largest dance music distributors and while it shuts up shop, dance music genres such as breakbeat, house and techno will undoubtedly feel the sting.

With Intergroove gone, only two major dance music distributors remain in the UK – Amato and Unique, who merged earlier this year. “Intergroove has been very honourable in upholding their payments to labels,” said Abel Reynolds from Fingerlickin’.“But as a result of the company closing, quite a few labels will go bust too, because they won’t receive payment for records distributed by Intergroove in the last couple of months.”
wyzest1 +

stamp collector

Times thanked
<
I look forward to the day when a standard club installation has dual phono outputs from the decks and a spare set of RCA's hooked to the back of the mixer so those with vinyl control can just plug and play.

Vinyl wont die....niche markets will prevail. I would love CD's to die. They are so useless as a performance medium.
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyzest1

I would love CD's to die. They are so useless as a performance medium.

how so?
Lukey +

Puke

Times thanked
<
maybe technics should wise up and buy out all the pressing plants as they go bust to keep their market open.

i doubt vinyl will die and i hope not.
something
djtoastytraxx +

On the board walk......

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I look forward to the day when a standard club installation has dual phono outputs from the decks and a spare set of RCA's hooked to the back of the mixer so those with vinyl control can just plug and play.

^^ i reckon that will never happen, with the introduction of the serato soundcard and the new torq soundcard it is definetly a investment gone to waiste. also its not good to split the cables.

.... anyway if you wanted dual outputs what venue orgainser/manager would be bothered to send them in to be installed, thats the questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkedub

digital mass storage devices are so much smaller and cheaper than a book of CDs

Go digital mass storage devices.
Duvdev +

Pat

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rquinsee

All the people that DJ with CDs....

How do you organise our collections? Do you keep the organized on a computer? or do you do something else like burn each release to CD and make own artwork etc?

or do you just have them all on burnt blank disks labeled with texta?

I buy a variety of mp3s and CD albums/compilations (for heaps of reasons I wont go into).

I burn my mp3/wavs to CDR as I buy them. I also copy my CD albums/compilations to a CDR and store them in a 400 CD folder. This way I don't have to carry original copies around with me and risk losing my entire collection to someone who decides to steal it.

Once my CDs have come in the mail or the mp3/wavs have been downloaded I type the track names up in an Excel spreadsheet and print them out so I can slip track listings in with the copied CDs.

Kind of a pain in the arse, but at least I can find my tracks easily and dont have to stress about losing my collection.
Pat

Last edited by Duvdev: 02-Nov-06 at 06:24pm

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts

Quote:

I would love CD's to die. They are so useless as a performance medium.

Sounds like someone's been using CDJ-100's.

Time to upgrade.
Phil Collins +

DJ Silvio / LOIN BROTHER

Times thanked
<
Further points related to this discussion can be found in this 3 page thread on ITM'ers preferences for vinyl v cd v digital mediums:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...=180353&page=3

(I jus had to make this cross-reference to satisfy my academic urges, thanks for understanding )
LOIN BROTHERS

ewokie +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbievanBasten

Don't real DJ's only use vinyl?

Digital is fantastic, cheap and easy - But Vinyl has tangible qualities that at times justify the extra $$.

Mixture of both ftw!

With that said, with the always increasing features on todays CD players (take the CDJ100mkIII for instance), you can almost completely re-edit and re-produce a track live whilst in the middle of your set.
You can also now do some pretty fine scratching on these players too, and whilst it doesn't feel the same, or have the same aesthetic qualities, it has most definately taken over vinyl use.

And for the people that say 'Only real DJs use vinyl'.. thats just backward thinking. Its like saying that your only a sportsperson if you compete in the Olympics, or your only a Singer if you get a record contract.

Get with the times.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewokie

With that said, with the always increasing features on todays CD players (take the CDJ100mkIII for instance), you can almost completely re-edit and re-produce a track live whilst in the middle of your set.

these ideas and arguments get thrown around alot with the advent and introduction of the latest nifty technological wonder.

But in the end ... who actually does this shit.

Can't say i've heard many DJs doing radical remixes on the fly in a club from Ableton yet ... apart from people doing sets of their original productions.

Most of the fancy effects, editing and looping trickery you can do with 2 copies of the same record anyway.... and it's been possible to do for a very long bloody time ... but do people do it ?!

No.

I don't want people telling me what can be done with shit ... i want to see shit being done.

funkedub dot com

ewokie +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

these ideas and arguments get thrown around alot with the advent and introduction of the latest nifty technological wonder.

But in the end ... who actually does this shit.

Can't say i've heard many DJs doing radical remixes on the fly in a club from Ableton yet ... apart from people doing sets of their original productions.

Most of the fancy effects, editing and looping trickery you can do with 2 copies of the same record anyway.... and it's been possible to do for a very long bloody time ... but do people do it ?!

No.

I don't want people telling me what can be done with shit ... i want to see shit being done.

Have you been out to see Craig Obey or Telefunken lately? They do it all the time.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
2 DJs i've never heard of or seen doesn't help sway my opinion

funkedub dot com

ewokie +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
^^ you musnt be from Sydney then.

Telefunken is a Sydney group, but Craig Obey plays all over Australia

Quote: Taken from an up and coming interview to appear on the main ITM page:

"Craig Obey is a Sydney boy, and has played at almost all major dance venues around Australia over the past 20 years, including clubs such as Family in Brisbane, Seven & One Love in Melbourne and a 5 year residency at Home in Sydney.

His last album work Elektrik Force includes ‘coolin@the.bar’ and ‘Hip-Ma-Tize-Me’, ‘Gonna have to pay’, ‘Under the Milky Way’ (It also features on the Ministry of Sound Annual 2007)

Last edited by ewokie: 03-Nov-06 at 09:11am

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
^^^^

that's right ... the world doesn't revolve around Sydney

now ... vinyl is it dead ?

well according to the masses of advertising featuring DJs playing turntables (Not CDJs or laptops) i'd say from the punter's perspective it's still very much the expected and "cool" performance medium

(ps. that article has no mention of vinyl or Ableton or mixing techniques ... relevance ?? )

funkedub dot com

ewokie +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

^^^^

that's right ... the world doesn't revolve around Sydney

now ... vinyl is it dead ?

well according to the masses of advertising featuring DJs playing turntables (Not CDJs or laptops) i'd say from the punter's perspective it's still very much the expected and "cool" performance medium

(ps. that article has no mention of vinyl or Ableton or mixing techniques ... relevance ?? )

You said that you had never heard of him, and I thought that if I mentioned some of the tracks he had produced that it may jog your memory...

Its not the full interview.. it should be on the main page next week
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
^^^

i understand you want to promote your article ewokie ... but this is a thread about the death of vinyl ... not Sydney DJs

funkedub dot com

ewokie +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

^^^

i understand you want to promote your article ewokie ... but this is a thread about the death of vinyl ... not Sydney DJs

Dont turn try to turn it around just because you have no rebuttal.

1. You said that using CDs was not real DJing

2. I replied with the fact that you can do a lot with CDs these days

3. You replied with 'but no one actually does'

4. I replied with some names of people who do

5. You replied with 'never heard of them'

6. I replied with information on the DJs you say you have never heard of

7. You replied with the above idiotic post

8. I replied with this post

9. You went and cried in your bedroom
Barry Jive +

Times thanked
<
I for one think that digital Djing is the way of the future. Whilst every good set up should however consist of

2 turntables and 2 Cd's players with a kick ass mixer, I ma just as happy to either use or see a DJ who is using just one or the other.

The flexibility that is offered with digital is great and allows for the progression of the scene beyond what simply turntables can provide. Hell I saw one DJ using

2 * turntables
1 * mac Laptop
2 * Cd player
1 * iPOD (yes an iPOD)

So yeah I think it is ridiculously Elitist to say "only real DJ's use Vynil" this is simply bullshit the term should be "Only old school Dj's use just turntables" If we want the scene to progress and hear new and exciting tracks then we need people innovating and we need people using all sorts of media.

The argument put forward in this track is exactly the same as the closed minded people who think that dance music is "not music because they don't play instruments' it is simple minded bullshit. Open you mind.

I prefer digital media for several simple reasons

1 - It is cheaper
2 - It is easier to obtain new samples and to mix on the fly
3 - It allows for a lot of on the spot creativity
4 - It can at times be easier

Vynil is not dying because i for one will never stop using it, buying it or being in complete awe of amazing DJ's who can use it so well. But it is starting to take a back seat to new media much as it has in every other music scene.

it just comes down to diversity and progression
Where is the up town five???

http://www.myspace.com/dan_random

Oh and my name is actually Dan
Dec0n +

Watermelon Man

Times thanked
<
the only really good thing about CDJ scratching is that it doesn't wear out your vinyl...
Blue Otani
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

1. You said that using CDs was not real DJing

That's quite incorrect ... i did no such thing.

Quote:

2. I replied with the fact that you can do a lot with CDs these days

3. You replied with 'but no one actually does'

4. I replied with some names of people who do

5. You replied with 'never heard of them'

no doubt ...

Quote:

6. I replied with information on the DJs you say you have never heard of

yes ... then i questioned the relevancy of the actual information presented to the thread topic, which obviously didn't gel with your sensibilities ... so you lash out make this claim

Quote:

7. You replied with the above idiotic post

Quote:

8. I replied with this post

9. You went and cried in your bedroom

you seem so sure of yourself

funkedub dot com

ewokie +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

well i have never seen anyone do it.. except sasha.. and well.. he's sasha. And it was set up the whole night waiting for him.

Ive never even seen a serato setup.. but do u really think it would be easy to rock up to a busy club where the crowd is jumping and try and set all your gear up, find powerpoints and rca inputs and other plugs, in a dark and dingy DJ booth all the while trying to stay out of the outgoing DJs way?

Anyway i dont know.. im probably wrong ive never even seen a serato set up. But yeah just my initial thoughts.

flammed? flamed.

Bexta uses a laptop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fukedub

That's quite incorrect ... i did no such thing.

Your right sorry, it was RobbievanBasten

Quote:

yes ... then i questioned the relevancy of the actual information presented to the thread topic, which obviously didn't gel with your sensibilities ... so you lash out make this claim

I matched perfectly with your statement that you had never heard of them. I was merely trying to educate you.

Quote:

you seem so sure of yourself

Just trying to lift the mood :p

If any case.. I love vinyl, as well as CDs, as well as MP3s (Although I prefer CD & Vinyl). Most of my favourite DJs and mates use Vinyl as well as CDs.

I have a mate who is a relatively known DJ who owns 180 crates of vinyl (each with about 80 12"). And even though he owns so much vinyl, he can see the advantages of CDs and uses them in his sets.

This is all just my opinion though, so show some
alison87 +

acid evangelist

Times thanked
<
Deader than Jesus.
house music is delicious
Jude May +

ohhh yes, me please!

Times thanked
<
all right, who dug this shit up?

get ready to get slapped, big time.

horses for courses people. some like the black plastic some like CD. neither party will be converted. let it die for fucks sake
My SoundCloud
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
djtoastytraxx +

On the board walk......

Times thanked
<
Yeah where the did the topic of conversation go anyways.

there is a million and one issues that are invloved in this matter that could be taken side of either way. To put forward your opinion is the best way to show what you think rather than battle them.

I love digital but i reckon vinyl does have its elements too, which in the end makes for a arguement that is going to be neutral because no one can predict the future and weather or not it will have the need and market for vinyl. Is vinyl going to be produced at the same rate as what it is these days in the future?? Fuck i know i hav'nt seen any real concrete evidence in this thread as to how it wont be.

Ive stopped buying vinyl but does that mean that every one else will, i buy occasional vinyls but that is becuase i cant get them on digital. Mind you i love the crisp sound of vinyl and its about the effort of luging the shit around for me. Still does that apply to other people as well. Beats me!!!

It is just speculation. time can only tell.

Or a decent statistic on vinyl sales from somewhere??

Or a fucking poll from someone?? still its only a vague statistic but it would giv a general idea.

Last edited by djtoastytraxx: 03-Nov-06 at 08:20pm

acoustinaut +

:interstitial funk thief:

Times thanked
<
*yawn*

Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<
Just wanted to ad that.. the question was not 'do you still like vinyl' or 'will you continue buying vinyl'. It was whether vinyl is dead.. or dying.

The fact that a bunch of undeground purist itmers still love their vinyl isnt going to change the plight of the big record companies losing millions on vinyl.

I think too many people have answered the poll with their heart rather than their head. I will be extreeeeeeeeemly sad the day i see a club without old school turntables spinning the black wax.. however im smart enough to realise the economic pressures of the times. And they dont allow for vinyl to continue as a mass music medium.

Of course there will still be boutique retailers and pressers.. but in terms of a medium used by all the big clubs and all the big djs around the world.. im afraid it appears to be dying. The fact that you may not want to die, has little relevance to whether or not it actually is.
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I dont think this is relevant. Everyone knows vinyl is cooler than CDs.. no one is disputing that. Hence the reason that technics decks and vinyls are always used in any dance music advertising. Its just not cool to see a big phat CDJ or a standard blank CDR.

However again i reiterate that whether or not vinyl is cooler or is more loved is not the issue. The fact is that the majority of djs are not buying vinyl anymore because its waaaaaaaaay too expensive and vinyl shopping is way too time consuming in comparison to the purchase of mp3s/cds.
RZArector +

muffin man

Times thanked
<
vote 1 for serato
it'll get to the point where clubs will have it set up and all you have to do is bring along your USB hardrive.

Ill still buy some vinyl when i can afford it, but at the moment im saving for serato (which is worth about 45 ep's )
so in theory ill make my money back within 60 or so digital releases. Its a win win situation, the feel of vinyl but only spending $3 max per track (juno has a digital section where a release is $2.50AUD)
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I dont think this is relevant. Everyone knows vinyl is cooler than CDs.. no one is disputing that. Hence the reason that technics decks and vinyls are always used in any dance music advertising. Its just not cool to see a big phat CDJ or a standard blank CDR.

However again i reiterate that whether or not vinyl is cooler or is more loved is not the issue. The fact is that the majority of djs are not buying vinyl anymore because its waaaaaaaaay too expensive and vinyl shopping is way too time consuming in comparison to the purchase of mp3s/cds.

of course coolness isn't relevant ... i was just highlighting the fact that the image of a DJ is still very much someone behind two turntables, and that's an interesting juxtaposition to the obvious transition of the working DJs to more digital technology.

a lot of arguments for digital mixing come down to factors of convenience, be it $$$ or time ... i can accept that, but for me, it is about taking that time, or spending that money, and valuing the investment i've made.

If people think that finding tunes takes up too much of their time ...then they in my opinion have a screw loose ... i can dig for hours and hours looking for and listening to records ... once again, time invested well for me personally

of course these cases apply to digital media too ... now it's all too easy to pop out and get an entire back catalogue of a record collection for a fraction of the price of trying to source it all on vinyl ... but it ain't going to make you a better DJ

funkedub dot com

Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

of course coolness isn't relevant ... i was just highlighting the fact that the image of a DJ is still very much someone behind two turntables, and that's an interesting juxtaposition to the obvious transition of the working DJs to more digital technology.

a lot of arguments for digital mixing come down to factors of convenience, be it $$$ or time ... i can accept that, but for me, it is about taking that time, or spending that money, and valuing the investment i've made.

If people think that finding tunes takes up too much of their time ...then they in my opinion have a screw loose ... i can dig for hours and hours looking for and listening to records ... once again, time invested well for me personally

of course these cases apply to digital media too ... now it's all too easy to pop out and get an entire back catalogue of a record collection for a fraction of the price of trying to source it all on vinyl ... but it ain't going to make you a better DJ

wow.. your on fire tonight funk.. we agree again!

I think for a lot of djs out there.. they probably would love to spend hours digging through record crates but they just dont HAVE the time to search physically for all the new hot tunes. For the pros, most get tunes sent to them personally so its just a matter of listening to them and burning to CDR. Other sites like beatport make it so much easier. And for the amateurs like myself, they have jobs or other study commitments that dont allow them to spend hours a week in a record store.

That is an interesting juxtaposition you note. I wonder how a picture of a guy standing behind a monitor would go down on a flyer.

Every part of this debate just seems to echoe the notion that 'its a shame.. but its inevitable'.
kaossproject +

Times thanked
<
For all the creative potential that new technology has provided
there are still way to many boring mixes that lack any creativity...
MySpace

Back from tha dead!
Phil Collins +

DJ Silvio / LOIN BROTHER

Times thanked
<
I'm sceptical of any digital based DJ that does not have atleast a vinyl turntable to buy vinyl to convert to digital.

There are waaaay too many tunes out there that are only released on vinyl. Yeh alot of stuff turns up on Beatport/Juno etc and Limewire/Soulseek/emule networks etc but a hell of alot of stuff does not.

A DJ that only sources their stuff digitally communicates that they are swayed by convenience over the sound. That a comprimise has been made imho.

Sure, there are some tracks that are CD only or digital only releases. These are in the minority compared to tunes that are only available on vinyl (i'm talking strictly about decent DJ-able tunes rather then adult contempary filth and recent pop tunes).

And yes, vinyl only DJs I am a tad sceptical of them also if that's the only avenue they use to source their music...
LOIN BROTHERS

Phil Collins +

DJ Silvio / LOIN BROTHER

Times thanked
<
it def matters what u play aswell.

for example, i'm right into all takes on the disco sound, new and old, legit releases and bootlegs, plus well a whole bunch of stuff out in all kinds of directions vinyl is the main option.

the majority of what i play is available on vinyl only.

some of what i play i really think it sounds so much better at high or low speeds. Often when i'm at a music store i'll mess with the pitch control till the track sounds right. I've not been to a record store yet where u can listen to a CD and change the tempo/pitch.

CDs ain't as good to browse stuff either (when buying this kind of stuff). With record u can see the break, the faster tracks, the changes, etc and jump straight to it. With CDs this isn't possible. Skipping throguh a track in fast forward (with a CD) ain't as effective as being able to jus pick the needle up and drop it back down where ever it needs to go.

CDs too are an essential component of this soundscape. Re-edits of tunes can really take things deeper etc. Getting onto ableton to extend intros and cut out bad sax solos/choruses etc. Great to burn these onto CD and get them into the mix.
LOIN BROTHERS

« Previous Thread Next Thread »