The DJ Booth

Who thinks vinyl is dead... or dying a slow painful death?

View Poll Results: Is vinyl dead.. or dying a slow painful death?
Yes vinyl is dead 11 4.44%
Vinyl isnt dead yet.. but it soon will be 47 18.95%
Vinyl will still be used for a while yet 77 31.05%
Vinyl will never die 113 45.56%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Tools
Phil Collins +

DJ Silvio / LOIN BROTHER

Times thanked
<
What i'm suggesting here is that sure you can push the envelope sourcing music from digitally available only sources and likewise for the vinyl fiends but to really get to the land beyond beyond surely one must have attempted to extinguish all possible avenues in sourcing their material.

I mean if you are an academic you don't read 3/4 of the books on the shelf and call yourself a professor. You read every goddamn thing you can get your hands on. You send requests to libraries in Belfast, Greenland, Chile etc to get every last PHD thesis written so no-one can refute your arguments. you know your opinon is gospel because you have used every know network of information on your chosen niche.

Oh don't get me wrong. DJing is something we do for fun. Yep. Lubricate the crowd. Spin a room around and try and assist the ppl to get beyond the troubles of the day. If that deeper track ain't working, don't persist with it and kill the vibe etc etc.

But really if you want to be at the top of the game. The guy that deeply influences others. the one that blows minds, of the 'party people', the 'chinstrokers' and your heros all at the same time (e.g. Jeff Mills, DJ Harvey, QBert, Danny Tenaglia, DJ Heather, Bang Gang, Craig Obey, Pee Wee Ferris... whoever), man don't expect to be doing it if you are gonna be close minded about where you are getting your music from.

LOIN BROTHERS

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Collins

And yes, vinyl only DJs I am a tad sceptical of them also if that's the only avenue they use to source their music...

don't be sceptical ... just listen to your feet
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
RZArector +

muffin man

Times thanked
<
my feet told me im gay

should i be scared?? @_@
back_4_more +

Times thanked
<
Vinyl / Analogue... warm & depth vs Digital... clarity, hollow, non personal (ie no scratches or mispresses that keep things interesting)

Just play both... but stay true to it's beginnings and open to whats in the future.

(my 2 cents worth)
blop +

Times thanked
<
vinyls = fun
fun = ftw

also, vinyls are better quality.
and for you who say carrying around vinyls is a big deal, boo hoo.
the only downside to vinyls is the cash.
also, it depends on the music you are spinning.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by blop

vinyls = fun
fun = ftw

the plural of vinyl is vinyl

funkedub dot com

Last edited by Funkedub: 31-Jan-07 at 01:33pm

Dj DeKay +

~====~~~====~

Times thanked
<
-/--_=== _->>+<<<><--==---_*_
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

thankyou!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

P_A_Sime +

I'd have a crack :)

Times thanked
<
Gotta love the English language.
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
<

Quote:

the plural of vinly is vinyl

The correct spelling of vinly is vinyl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

vinyls = fun
fun = ftw

you bumped a 2 month old thread and used your first ever post just to say that??

Quote:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK

alison87 +

acid evangelist

Times thanked
<

Quote:

And any way you spell it, it's still dying a slow, painful death
house music is delicious
plan-b +

Times thanked
<
it was funnier when funke's post still had the typo...

Quote:

plan-b +

Times thanked
<
I was gonna post I made the decision to stop buying records a few weeks ago... for obvious reasons and one of my favourite labels just went digital... but i just caved and went to central at lunch and spent $150 so i'd be lying

Quote:

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by alison87

it's still dying a slow, painful death

well if you think old technology isn't worth using anymore ... better get rid of that 303 in your avatar

funkedub dot com

blop +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b

you bumped a 2 month old thread and used your first ever post just to say that??

i didnt think that the first post was such a brilliant event.
everyone is so harsh to the noobs.
*tear
presto music +

Times thanked
<
slow and painful

sad too
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i didnt think that the first post was such a brilliant event.
everyone is so harsh to the noobs.
*tear

welcome to the forums

Quote:

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

wrong and wrong.

Better quality that what? a cd of that vinyl recorded to cd? how will that sound any different to the vinyl? er... I think the whole vinyl sounds better argument has been over for a looooooooooooooooooong time guys.

You don't think carrying vinyl around is a big deal? Are you a professional DJ with 7 to 12 gigs a weekend over a range of styles? Didn't think so. Spend some time with someone who does and you'll learn the reality. = world of PAIN.

This is a moot argument.

Last edited by Pro Tool: 02-Feb-07 at 09:09am

DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
Vinyl has taken a serious beating for sure...in the 80's you could walk into any music shops on the planet and find vinyl and tapes, the moment the CDs came out in mass during the early 90s vinyl and tapes started to disappeared of the shelves of your regular music shop fast, now forget about tapes, as it is mostly dead in developed countries, you can still find tapes in 3rd world countries, but no vinyl, and in developed countries you can only find vinyl in specialized shop (And of course online).
When buying vinyl back in the 80’s prices were reasonable (It was the prices we knew anyway, so we could not say it was expensive) and since inevitably the price of products increase with time which is quiet normal, I found the current price to be well in its norm.

What will keep vinyl alive is the demand nothing else, whether it is for turntables or vinyl, companies that own the different productions (manufacturing TT or pressing vinyl) decide in function of the demand, you as an individual have no say, they don't care about you (Or your dog for that matter), just because you like the sound of vinyl or because you like the feel of vinyl, some people like the feel and sound of other things (It is all subjective), but shareholders really don't care about what you like or don't like (Nor do they care about your dog). On the other hand where the difference can be made, is as a group, so long the group exists and the demand is there, then so will be the companies. Surely having labels starting to put up for download whatever they have doesn't help their own cause, because now they are trying to open up to a new market that they can no longer ignore (Yes they finally found a new goldmine), on the other hand because of prices, availability and conveniences, they are in fact enticing new market (or future market) to get into CD or PC djing, which means that new generation of DJs coming out, may very well be attracted more towards digital djing, not only for the price but also the flexibility, as other consumer products such as MP3 players, car Mp3 players and others can share this digital format...

Now I think all the vinyl players and I'd like to say even the people from the "vinyl religion" have a very bad attitude for some reason towards other people using different medium or even new people, in fact this attitude is most probably making more harm to themselves than any others thing. So yes we did understood that the Technics were the best TT and all the rest is crap...what happen, is that the young newbie that do not have enough money to buy the best and being told that the rest of the TT are crap, will inevitably give a try at CD or PC (And start to see all the advantages that goes with it), then thanks to all these Technics fanatic, they just blown down a new potential generation of TT player. Then if it continues in this direction all other brands will have a decrease in sales and then figure out, well why bother, and stop producing TT and concentrating more on the digital side of the business, so thanks to all these vinyl lovers if they do not drop the attitude, then they are sealing their own faith (Just like cutting the very own branch your are sitting on…stupid…certainly…but true…unfortunately). As you can see more and more people are switching to CD and PC, these people seems not to want to be left behind, so they make a choice, and when they will be less and less vinyl players, what happen is that clubs will stop putting TT in their environment since all they will have left to hire are digital players, as it will become to hard to get vinyl players.

The moral of the story is for vinyl players to be more gentile towards newbies and try to perpetrate the "tradition" in a positive manner instead of always be so arrogant, and say everything else is shit, and all that crap about feel and sound, and not be real DJs if not spinning vinyl, it does not help vinyl at all, instead they should be promoting being hybrid players, and take on the new stuff without losing but learning the tradition (And I do have great respect for vinyl player skills…but boy do I hate their attitude). TT will be here for a long time to come because of the amount of records that is out there, but don't fool yourself the labels might be the first to turn their back on TT players (It seems to be starting already), and when no more new stuff his available, TT will only be there for playing the old stuff.

Having said that and being mostly a CD player person, do I feel threatened myself, you bet, with digital music download sites popping everywhere (and if you search you will see that there is a hell of a lot.), with the size of Hard drive growing to such amazing space, and players becoming more HD based, I can see a guy working in a club with his headphones and 80 000 songs in his portable HD…and since most music is digitally recorded it takes only just a few minutes to upload it and making it available for the rest of the world, cutting production time, cutting raw material cost…

Bottom line, I will not be making any friends today, and I don’t really give a damn about it, or any lobotomized monkey stupid comment or bashing to follow (All I say is open your eyes and see what is happening around you)…Instead of fighting over the medium, people should be uniting behind the discipline, djing is about loving music, loving to mix it, loving to make people happy and pack the dance floor, loving to make people feel better about themselves and make them forget about the miserable life they might have when they walk on that dance floor to the great tune you are just blasting…

So is vinyl dying a slow painful death? Vinyl players, the faith of your medium is precisely in your very own hand…so continue with the attitude…be my guest…but don’t come crying later…

DJD1
DRi_2004XL +

Custom User Title

Times thanked
<
I love the ferocity of threads like this. Im going to archive this thread for my grandkids to piss themselves laughing at.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
I;m gonna print this thread to wipe my fat ass with.
DSILVR +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Tool

I;m gonna print this thread to wipe my fat ass with.

I think i will also.

FFS just put this thread back to sleep

There both good
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
I reckon we can sum it up.

Vinyl will live on in the eyes of collectors, and niche market small runs in the near future.
Lets not forget that dance music on vinyl is only a very small percentage of all the vinyl that is pressed. It will also live on in the silly little DJ's minds that have absolutely no knowledge of how limiting a media that it actually is.

CD's could suffer the same fate, as more and more people begin to experiment with alternate ways to deliver the one thing that matters most in all this 4 pages of shite and dribble. THE MUSIC
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo_

4 pages of shite and dribble.

It's got to 4 pages of "shite and dribble" because people are obviously passionate about their preference ... which ever they choose ... and by their posting here, clearly indicates they have a passion for their music ... and that is never shit and/or dribble

funkedub dot com

plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo_

I reckon we can sum it up.

Vinyl will live on in the eyes of collectors, and niche market small runs in the near future.
Lets not forget that dance music on vinyl is only a very small percentage of all the vinyl that is pressed. It will also live on in the silly little DJ's minds that have absolutely no knowledge of how limiting a media that it actually is.

CD's could suffer the same fate, as more and more people begin to experiment with alternate ways to deliver the one thing that matters most in all this 4 pages of shite and dribble. THE MUSIC

CD's apparently will be obsolete within the next ten years...

i was meant to be giving up buying vinyl this year for the obvious reasons... but i caved and bought rekkids yesterday... The collectability aspect is the big hold for me atm... I kinda wish the labels that I play out went all digital so I wouldn't keep at it...

the other thing is, and this is gonna sound cheesy, elite and cliched, and I didn't see this one coming when thinking about the "digital revolution"... I miss the days when DJ's had to hunt down his/her tunes... One thing I've noticed is that DJ's who started on vinyl and then made the move to CD seem to get lazier with their tune selection and buying habits...

Quote:

Tristan W +

Times thanked
<
Hate to jump in right at the end of this thread but one point that may have been missed(I only read the 1st page and the last) and it is one of the reasons I will be moving to cdj's is to do with precision. Surely cdj's provide a greater level of precision and control over mixing. The added precision and control Im sure makes long mixes tighter not to mention the ability to create loops.

I look after my vinyl pretty well but it still doesn't stop it from attracting large quantities of dust. Plus a lot of vinyl isn't without varied degrees of warping. Sure all those elements are what makes mixing on turntables a challenge but cdjs seem to eliminate a lot of those factors so the dj can spend more time mixing.
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan W

Hate to jump in right at the end of this thread but one point that may have been missed(I only read the 1st page and the last) and it is one of the reasons I will be moving to cdj's is to do with precision. Surely cdj's provide a greater level of precision and control over mixing. The added precision and control Im sure makes long mixes tighter not to mention the ability to create loops.

Exactly why I love mixing from CD

Quote:

Tristan W +

Times thanked
<
I gather on a cdj 1000 or 800 if the bpm's say the same number your mix wont drift at all so it is pretty much up to cueing the beat on the beat?
saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
No not exactly, cos the BPM meter is just a rough guide, its only whole numbers
www.myspace.com/saadhafiz

www.flickr.com/photos/saadme

"You're a Class A **** selling Class C drugs"
Tristan W +

Times thanked
<
But aren't most dance tracks produced specific bpm's like 128, 130 not 128.25? Anyway still a lot more accurate than 1200's
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I gather on a cdj 1000 or 800 if the bpm's say the same number your mix wont drift at all so it is pretty much up to cueing the beat on the beat?

not really... what if there's 122.4 beats per minute?? also they're not 100% accurate... they can be good as rough guide though... it's a bad habit to rely on them though

Quote:

plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

But aren't most dance tracks produced specific bpm's like 128, 130 not 128.25? Anyway still a lot more accurate than 1200's

not sure about that, but the bpm changes as u move the pitch fader... if a track's at 100bpm, unless u only mix in increments of 1% (which no one does), then the track won't always be at a whole number bpm...

Quote:

Tristan W +

Times thanked
<
Is the change from vinyl to cdj's enjoyable and easier to mix
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

not really... what if there's 122.4 beats per minute?? also they're not 100% accurate... they can be good as rough guide though... it's a bad habit to rely on them though

when i first got my 1000s i put tape of the bpm counter so i wouldnt rely on it.

However now i dont really bother.. because i figure that most places have cdj1000s/800s so im not really going to get caught. If i did i can beatmatch without anyway.. but yeah it just takes a little longer.

When i mix i like to match the BPMs on the counter first.. then i use my ears and ignore the counter altogether cause as said they arent that accurate. But yeah i do find that they cut out some time because u can get it pretty close straight away. Unless its taped up you cant really not look at it. What do u think?
saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Yeah when i play out using CDJ's i get the Bpm's matched then cue, and fine tune.
www.myspace.com/saadhafiz

www.flickr.com/photos/saadme

"You're a Class A **** selling Class C drugs"
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buey

when i first got my 1000s i put tape of the bpm counter so i wouldnt rely on it.

However now i dont really bother.. because i figure that most places have cdj1000s/800s so im not really going to get caught. If i did i can beatmatch without anyway.. but yeah it just takes a little longer.

When i mix i like to match the BPMs on the counter first.. then i use my ears and ignore the counter altogether cause as said they arent that accurate. But yeah i do find that they cut out some time because u can get it pretty close straight away. Unless its taped up you cant really not look at it. What do u think?

my attitude is learn to mix without them, but if they're there... why not use them??

Quote:

Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<
A Beatcounter is like the human appendix- pointless, but the manufacturers keep chuckin it in the final product
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik

A Beatcounter is like the human appendix- pointless, but the manufacturers keep chuckin it in the final product

they can be useful when pulling off really quick mixes but generally yes...

Quote:

Tristan W +

Times thanked
<
"Yeah when i play out using CDJ's i get the Bpm's matched then cue, and fine tune."

Cool, I thought that would be the best way to beat match on them. If you know how to beatmatch nothing wrong with them and I would laugh though if a pro had them taped up just to prove a point.

For someone starting out having beat counters is not a huge advantage. having two tracks running at the same bpm is one thing but having the beats tightly in sync is another.
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

For someone starting out having beat counters is not a huge advantage. having two tracks running at the same bpm is one thing but having the beats tightly in sync is another.

I disagree... buying a mixer with beatcounters made life a hell of a lot easier when learning... when i lost interest for a good year or two it made it easier to pick up again as well...

Quote:

DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
I Have to agree with TW, relying on BPM counter has made life a hell for me in the contrary, as they are not always right and will mess up your mix more often than not in my case, but then again it depends of the gear, some are okay and a bit more reliable, some are not. It is good to have an indication of what BPM is a song, but just for aproximate estimation, so you do not try to mix a 160 with a 120 one (Then again you could), well you know what I mean. Most of the time even with the same value on the counter be ready to ride the pitch slider. There is not a BPM counter in the world that is always right 100%, believe me, I know that for good reasons.
Before when I tried to learn beat matching, I always try to get the pitch slider at the same value of the other player, but never got it right, so I started to think something was wrong, which lead me to say plenty of stupid things, before I was rectified by a couple of guys on this forum, then I was told to forget about BPM and listen, and suddenly I could beat match, and was able to do so straight away.. I just did 10 mix this morning, and last one I had 128 and 129 and still they holded for 30 sec very well...but hey, if the BPM counters work well for you, goooooood 4ya...it is all up to the person and its preferences, but I still think trying to beat match without them makes you better at the end, and probably learning without will make you a better beat matcher.

DJD1
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Your ear is much more refined than any beat counter will ever be. Just practice.

Unless you have a beat counter which goes to multiple decimal places, they're never going to be accurate enough to rely on, and you shouldn't rely them anyways as what happens when you go to play some place which doesn't have them?

Two tracks going at 132.465 BPM is great, but are they in the right phase?

IMO, anyone learning should avoid beat counters altogether...if they're on the mixer, tape over them. You'll become a better DJ if you do.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Dik_Bob +

Times thanked
<
There’s nothing wrong with beat counters if you accept them for what they are; a tool to help you mix and not a prop to make up for lack of skills.

I learnt to mix on a DJM300 but didn’t cover the counters, which were accurate enough I suppose. Using them when I first started helped me to learn the difference between a track that was falling behind or speeding ahead, and I’d argue that I learned to beat match quicker with the help of the counters.
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dik_Bob

There’s nothing wrong with beat counters if you accept them for what they are; a tool to help you mix and not a prop to make up for lack of skills.

I learnt to mix on a DJM300 but didn’t cover the counters, which were accurate enough I suppose. Using them when I first started helped me to learn the difference between a track that was falling behind or speeding ahead, and I’d argue that I learned to beat match quicker with the help of the counters.

I learnt on a DJM300 and used the beatcounters for a couple of weeks... when I felt comfortable enough to go without them, I turned them off...

and walla it was as if I had a mixer that didn't have them

[this topic's gone all lame]

Quote:

richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Vinyl dead? Or BPM's valid... I've lost the gist of this topic...

As far as the argument of "people don't hunt out their tracks anymore, they're too lazy thanks to digital format" goes, I wholeheartedly disagree (even though I've never bought a rekkid in my DJ life). Spend as many hours as I do on beatport every week going through every newly released track in more than one genre and lemme tell you, you'll find the gems out there but you have to filter through SO much crap it's not funny. I wouldn't trust the task to anyone else though, and I reckon it's a great way to train your ears/musical-taste as to quality and worth.

I guess it's the same process Vinyl-jocks go through but on a more massive scale?
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by richcur

Vinyl dead? Or BPM's valid... I've lost the gist of this topic...

As far as the argument of "people don't hunt out their tracks anymore, they're too lazy thanks to digital format" goes, I wholeheartedly disagree (even though I've never bought a rekkid in my DJ life). Spend as many hours as I do on beatport every week going through every newly released track in more than one genre and lemme tell you, you'll find the gems out there but you have to filter through SO much crap it's not funny. I wouldn't trust the task to anyone else though, and I reckon it's a great way to train your ears/musical-taste as to quality and worth.

I guess it's the same process Vinyl-jocks go through but on a more massive scale?

you're not everyone Rich

Quote:

richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Yeh true.. I'm a one-in-a-million hehe
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
Buey +

Chugg on..

Times thanked
<

Quote:

they can be useful when pulling off really quick mixes but generally yes...

true story.. they are very useful when u find urself with only about 30 seconds left in the outgoing track and have to drop something in quickly.
Radic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Is the change from vinyl to cdj's enjoyable and easier to mix

nothing is as much fun as mixing on 1200's with vinyl i reckon. The practicality of digital has given way to the character of the old analogue world.
Soundcloud

« Previous Thread Next Thread »