<
I reckon they'd be mad to scratch on... wicka waaaa
I may not be fred flintstone but i bet i can still make your bed rock
funkanova +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieBrooke

Still no one has developed a controller with full sized platters - surely Numark will do it?

a spinning full sized platter would be even better. Surely technics, vestax, stanton, numark, etc, could strip a deck down, remove the tone arm and sound gear, and modify the platter so the movements of a vinyl like control surface could be read. I guess it's not really necessary with programs like FS, SSL, Torq, etc, but to play a house party or mobile gig with these sort of solutions you need to take 2 decks, a mixer, control records, laptop, interface, needles, headphones - a lot to lug around in other words
I may not be fred flintstone but i bet i can still make your bed rock
Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<
^ how about a CDX with a final scratch program?

but yes a slim down version is what id like (without the cd capability)
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
the cdx has midi out doesnt it??
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
Im thinking of getting a BCD for the after party after sasha and diggers
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<
...what after party?
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
At a secret location known by the lucky few...
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<
damn u neo_! 0____o *shakes fist*
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo_

Im thinking of getting a BCD for the after party after sasha and diggers

Too bad Sasha won't be able to stick around for the after party. At least Digweed will kick on, Groove stylee.

Almost worth a flight to Newcastle for.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
saying that djs will be mixing in the future using lasers etc is like saying an orchestra will no longer use instruments anymroe but laptops

its exactly the same

but anyway bye bye cd,

vinyl will make a come back vinyl control anyway
NessaTron +

Times thanked
<
hey im looking to get into bedroom dj'ing, should i get one of these mp3 controller thingys or a cd/mixer combo?

would someone please point me in the right direction.

thanks joe.
OllieBrooke +

Futurist

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo_

the cdx has midi out doesnt it??

Yeah, it does, i've not gone down that alley yet... RE: Future and stuff, DJMij and I were talking about how archaic it is using vinyl to control mp3s (we were trialling Final Scratch). But it's only archaic if it's not the best possible control method for playing music. So is a vinyl styled control surface the BEST way to control tracks on the fly? Or is it simulated just because it's the most familiar method? I can't think of a better method TBH. CDX lining up with a midi controller and some DJ software might be cool though, might give it a whirl...
http://www.purehousemusic.net/
Dj SteveWill +

Times thanked
<
I have had the BCD-2000 since March and it hasn't broken yet
Have tried it with Traktor 3 and DjDecks and it works well for what it is.
Still haven't taken it out on a real gig yet just wouldn't want it stuffing up mid set!!!
So for now I still play out on real vinyl and cdj's.
Where it really shines is at a house party where it fits into my laptop bag and just plug it into their home stereo.

But I really like the idea of the touch sensitive wheels (ala vinyl-mode cdj style) of the XP10 and must try them out soon!
Also in the pipeworks there is a version without the inbuilt soundcard and a duel 19" rackmount version as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EKS XP10.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	22253
Click for full size

Press Blurb:

The audio quality of XP10 is truly Hi - Fi, using patented audio
technology. With signal-to-noise ratio of 105 dB or more (EIAJ), XP10
can beat your normal high-quality soundcard hands down.

Just like vinyl and very latest CD players, you can stop the track with
your fingers and use the wheel to cue.

The size? The XP10 controller can almost fit inside your pocket and
weights under 400 grams. It changes the way of thinking about mobile
DJ ’ing. Still it is packed with all the features of the bigger and heavier
DJ equipment.

XP10 is going to change the way you think of DJ ‘ing - for the first time
you can carry all your playing equipment in an ordinary briefcase,
including your music!

XP10 connects to your PC through USB. It needs no external power
supply. It is an USB bus powered device. Audio outputs (RCA) are next
to the USB connector. Finally you don't need to install any hardware
inside your PC!

XP10 works with our Bison software, but can be adapted to work with
3rd party software products through future Midi compatibility or software
development by 3rd parties that we support.

Last edited by Dj SteveWill: 01-Nov-06 at 04:52am

Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj SteveWill

Attachment 22253

this. i want.
Music_Pirate +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie Darko

this. i want.

Any idea on prices and when its going to be out?
wyzest1 +

stamp collector

Times thanked
<
The XP10 has been out for a while...its just way too expensive.

BTW......this is a bit naughty, but i cant post on the FS forum.....I have a spare BCD2000 if anyone wants one (reserve 160)

Last edited by wyzest1: 01-Nov-06 at 06:52pm

Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
How much you want?
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
Dj SteveWill +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music_Pirate

Any idea on prices and when its going to be out?

The XP10 is already out and around $500+ each
Dj SteveWill +

Times thanked
<
Forgot about this one I had saved on my comp at home I don't know much about it though apart from the price (approx $1000) and thats its already out.

E-Mix MP1200

Name:	E-Mix MP-1200.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	22281
Click for full size

Press Blurb:

The professional sound mixer for PC's/Notebooks - prefect for trendy DJ's, MP3-Fans, music lovers. Provide your own sound mixes and compilations - live or at home, directly starting from PC. People, who bought e-mix (club DJ's, FM/Internetradio DJ's, DJ's with low budget or music freaks) report inspiredly: we mix faster (search functions, no more rooting), simplier, more creatively (looping, cueing, effects, etc..) and are mobile (only Notebook and e-mix are necessary)!

Mix your digital music files like a professional: clean transitions - beat-synch - great parties - own mix CDs and many features...

Illuminated operating controls device similar to professional equipment: 2 players, mixer, cross-Fader, microphone, jingle player, preview player
Comfortable and quick database
Very easy and quick operation (from the panel or with the mouse)
No additional soundcard required
No need for an extra current feed (USB)
Access to new features and jingles through Software Updates
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
http://www.vestax.com/v/products/players/vci100.html

Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<
thanks ekwipt! how cool is that!!! the future is comin ladies n gentleman...
*Fkin stupid cds..*
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
but it seems all of these mp3 controllers are still trying to emulate vinyl or cd's, i mean if you want platters and shit keep your turntables and buy serato, if you want pure mp3 software ala traktor you don't need this extra crap
Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<
does a beamatching device need needles and a vinyl control surface which will suffer from wear?

as vinyl sales continue to drop will the demand for a vinyl scratch operation remain? or will it fall alongside the sale of vinyl turntables?

or perhaps ultimately...

is there even a place for beatmatching in the dj world of tommorow?
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
No a beat matching device doesn't need needles, but it also doesn't need platters to nudge the track forwards or back, a simple forward and back button would work, or a touch pad of some kind, a joystick, laser beams or some shit like that......

It looks like the controllers are getting closer (in regards to the vestax unit) but they should keep them as small as possible with out losing functionality (platters are too big imo for the need of them)

Is there are place for beatmatching, probably yes but not buy the user if you are using Traktor or Ableton, etc... just a waste of time let the DJ (redundant??) get on with track selection, mixing points, effects etc.)

For Serato and other vinyl emulation yes of course, otherwise its not doing what it was intended to do (vinyl emulation) not saying that it can't make it easier (quicker) waveform displays, BPM readouts, etc, basically the same argument freeing the DJ to perform some other tasks they might of been doing if they were beat mixing.....
Dj SteveWill +

Times thanked
<
The Vestax looks really good with its touch sensitive wheels but pity about the stupidly short pitch faders which you wont get any decent resolution with???
m3mbran3 +

Times thanked
<
so $500USD for the Vestax, which translates to about $1500AUD. Obviously it is of a supremely better build quality than the BCD but at that price and sans internal sound card it's like comparing apples to oranges.
DRi_2004XL +

Custom User Title

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie Darko

is there even a place for beatmatching in the dj world of tommorow?

Thats the question that gets the old vinyl heads upset that the skill they worked so hard to master is increasingly needless. Without the need to nurse a mix so much, the whole role of DJing is changing yet again (and lets not whinge too much about it, its only a few decades old anyway!).

Interesting, volatile, argumentative, whinging, exciting, wonderful times we live in
shalako +

Times thanked
<
interesting thread.

over the past 4 years i've been trying to make the transition from vinyl to digital.

in need a solution that:

1. takes advantage of my existing music library (itunes). i don't want to import and/or re-organize my library again for another program.

2. doesn't require prep for each song. seems like all laptop software have to scan the tracks, and if it's standalone you have to prep the tracks so they'll be beatmatched. i want to download the song and be able to play it without any prep. this requires beatmatching functionality.

cds require burning, remembering what's on them, burning new ones when i get new tracks... out.

vinyl control of software (serato, etc) have too many potential points of failure. bad experiences from FS1. if anything between the turntable and the software causes the signal to degrade, you're f*d. also the software for these products usually require scanning new tracks, and often use separate libraries from itunes. out.

standalone software (ableton) requires too much prep. can't beatmatch without prep. out.

laptop with a controller.. promising. this isn't the thread for it but i'm interested to know of products that meet these requirements. software should read songs from a directory (scanning for waveform view should be optional) and controller should have jog wheels and pitch control. i would prefer a controller which is NOT also a mixer. so many nice analog mixers out there i'd rather work with and these controller tend to take up too much space. the key to take as little to the gig as possible and still do what you need to. controller could also be an audio interface with four outs, or maybe just the jog wheels and pitch and few other knobs for control of software, and let a proper audio interface do it's job. i'd be interested in both solutions.

hd controllers (cortex, denon dn-hd2500, etc)... these are the most promising for me at the moment. i organize all my music in one place, which gets synched automatically to an ipod, then all i bring to the gig is my ipod and the controller (until clubs start having them installed). plug it in and boom - access to all my music, without any more work than organizing it on the computer, and i can beatmatch it. i prefer a product without an internal hd. defeats the purpose, imo. otherwise you have to sync that hd with your music library (manual copying? no way).

i got a cortex hdc-1000 ($500 USD) to try out this weekend. it's pretty awesome. the firmware updates add a 'scratch' vinyl mode and onboard playlist control. the first isn't good enough to scratch or cue with, and the second i'm not interested in because i create playlists in itunes. it allows me to use an outboard mixer. mixing with it is a snap. the 3000 apparently has waveform view, effects, looping, and sample banks. valuable features, but it's twice the price ($1000 USD). only potential dealbreaker is that while navigating i have been able to cause the audio to drop out for a second. i found that rather than skipping between tracks in play view, it's better to go to search view. since then i haven't had any drop outs. this is definitely a bleeding edge, first-gen product. but i've been looking for a solution just like this so i might have to hold onto it.

i was interested in this thread because it turned me on to a couple other brands with similar products (denon hd-2500 and numark d2). i'd be very interested if people had any reviews of them. they both seem to have more features than the cortex and maybe the single screen makes more sense than two (certainly they're higher resolution than the cortex!). but it sounds like the denon (i read $800 USD) has an internal hd. dumb. and the with numark ($500 USD) you apparently have to manually add tracks from external drives to a "master playlist"? dumb. the cortex lets you stream tracks right off your external. plain and simple. would be nice to have an established company behind it though. and the cortex's screens are small and low-res. might have to try these other two and do a comparison.

thanks.

Last edited by shalako: 28-Jan-07 at 12:24pm

DJ_Watson +

Times thanked
<
On a related subject NI has recently released Traktor Scratch ....

http://www.native-instruments.com/ty...532024f64a.jpg

Looks pretty good ...
Hertz +

Times thanked
<
I don't think it has been pointed out yet but Allen & Heath are releasing the Xone:2D, just the midi control portion of the 3D, for people with an existing mixer. Seems like it is currently the ideal solution if you don't mind using a laptop and can afford it (499pounds each).

This thread has sort of been bitter sweet to be honest. I bought a BCD2000 and after having some problems i decided to just go the old fashioned way and bought a turntable (just love that vinyl) though it was always in the back of my mind that i should be using a CD player or mp3. On the one hand this thread has sort of proved what i knew to be true, that mp3 is the future and there isn't really a need to be using CD players. On the other hand it is even more blatantly obvious that i have wasted $850 odd dollars on outdated equipment.

It still seems as though the ideal equipment is just on the horizon though so in that case what am I best off doing: selling this stuff and stomaching whatever loss i get on a stupid purchase and doing my best with current midi stuff, or just keeping it around to learn on until the perfect midi controller comes out (or is at least affordable)?
evilkeg +

Times thanked
<
Don't Forget about the Feena FMDJ9303
feenaelectronics.c om do an FMDJ9303 which is lush!

Review here:

evilkeg. c o.uk/wordpress/?p=21

pic here
futuremusic.c om/news/images/feenadjcontroller.jpg

I've been using it for about three months. Solid design and decent feedback. Set up mainly for traktor, but no reason it can't be used with Ableton etc.

I'd endorse it... if I was famous

Keg

PS Can someone edit my post, this is my first and I can't add links etc!
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3mbran3

so $500USD for the Vestax, which translates to about $1500AUD. Obviously it is of a supremely better build quality than the BCD but at that price and sans internal sound card it's like comparing apples to oranges.

no, when you convert from usd to aud you don't x3.

this unit *should* hit australian shores for less than $1000.

and whoever had a whinge about the pitch resolution, are you aware that people have been mixing fine on rack mount CD players which are shorter pitch travels for many, many years

if it's a solid device, it should be a great addition to the market.
step on my cubes.
Bassbunker +

Stay Strong, Stay Low...

Times thanked
<
$799.00 @ StoreDj for the vestax
Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true
Jerry lee lewis was the devil
Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do...
winstonuk +

Times thanked
<
Ok im gonna buy a behringer b control 2000 thingy bob, does anyone know where i can get one in Australia for $250 thats in stock...?

Seems there's been a good run on them and there even retailing in some shops now for $320.... not paying that.

Better still if anyones got a second hand one...
www.myspace.com/winstonandyoddy
www.soundcloud.com/winstonandyoddy
winstonuk +

Times thanked
<
Panic over just found one at Kosmic music in WA for $250 including Postage
www.myspace.com/winstonandyoddy
www.soundcloud.com/winstonandyoddy
eibwen +

Times thanked
<
anyone got any extra info on the D2 Director? Can't seem to find any real reviews..
chuckie +

Unregistered user

Times thanked
<
Im looking at the D2 Director as well, any first-hand info would be great.

From what I can tell, all you would need is a mixer and away you go?
N4TE +

I play rough now - don't like it? Don't play.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonuk

Panic over just found one at Kosmic music in WA for $250 including Postage

I used to get thrown out of Kosmic every saturday for "testing" marshall stacks and les pauls really, really fucking loud, until they'd throw me out. good times. Fuck me, I was going to say "that's before they invented mp3's" but then I realised it was before there was even an internet to steal mp3s from. When do you go past old school and just end up old?
“Care more than others think is wise,
risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical
and expect more than others think is possible."

Last edited by N4TE: 12-Apr-07 at 07:40pm

chuckie +

Unregistered user

Times thanked
<

This looks good.

Available from stock now - Denon DJ have released a breakthrough professional multimedia player and controller (the DNHD2500), which provides working DJs with a complete system solution that addresses virtually all their needs.

The rugged and portable DNHD2500 is designed for everything from small parties to weddings, club installations, outdoor events or anywhere that professional-quality, reliable operation is required. It joins Denon DJs full line of high-performance products for working DJs.

Denon DJ brand manager, Silvio Zeppieri, states: DJ equipment has progressed over the past few years, with DJs moving from vinyl to compact disc to laptop computers to a combination of all three technologies. Our DN-HD2500 represents the next step in this product evolution, offering a total all-in-one solution that addresses and actually anticipates the many different needs of working DJs. With built-in hard drive, external memory, CD playback control, catalogue back-up, special effects and more, the system is an all-in-one portable hub for professional DJs.

The key to the DNHD2500s usefulness in the field is its ability to bring together and provide access to huge music libraries from virtually all existing storage media, including Apple iPods and USB Flash Drives as well as Denon DJs dual CD/MP3Players. For total flexibility, the DNHD2500 also includes an internal hard drive intended for a DJs mainstream party music, with the added ability to connect multiple USB 2.0 Mass Storage Class drives for an extended library. The unit also offers complete command and control over Denon dual-tray CD/MP3 players such as the DND4500 and DND4000 drive section.

The DNHD2500 comes complete with Denon DJs acclaimed Music Manager software. Among its groundbreaking features is a highly refined search system, which lets users navigate quickly through any MP3/ WAV files connected to the system, with search criteria including Artist, Album, Title, Genre, Year, BPM and playlists. Other integral features include scratching, seamless looping, as well as on-board effects. Two Hot Starts (A1 and A2) can be made on the fly and easily turned into Seamless Loops, and the Hot Starts may also be used as Stutter points. For total versatility, the DN-HD2500 supports any USB/PS2 keyboard.

The DNHD2500 was designed with a removable hard drive for easy maintenance (i.e. you can change the drive for a larger 2.5 inch one) and features special shock-resistant mounting.
chuckie +

Unregistered user

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by eibwen

anyone got any extra info on the D2 Director? Can't seem to find any real reviews..

Numark D2 Director Review

Well Received a Numark D2 Director this past week and I have been playing all week and thought I'd post a review since there has not been much information mentioned about the unit. Attached are pictures of my unit on the bench testing. I have had it playing continuously for 12 hours with no problems. Here is my review. Not a complete review but the high points with my personal pro's and cons.

Hope you enjoy the review. This is my personal review and the accuracy is subject to my use and the revision of the unit at the time of this review.

Unit: Numark D2 Director MP3 Playback device.
Size: 3 space 19" rack, 5.2 lbs
Current Version: 1.03 player, 1.14 Librarian. There have been 3 updates since release. See Below for list of updates.
Operating System: D2 Director is built on a Linux platform to ensure high reliability and performance.
Note: Numark has made available the source code for those portions of the software in this source release tarfile. (Also available on their website). This allows users to edit the program if they want to.

Audio Specs
Output Level: 1.1v RMS 0dBFS
SNR: 96dB A-Weighted
THD+N: .003% 0dBFS 1KHZ
Freq Resp: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.1dB
Audio Path: 24-bit 44.1kHz
Pitch Ranges: +/-6%, +/-12%, +/-25%, +25%/-100%

Connections
3) USB connections, 1 on the front face, 2 on rear.
2) Sets of RCA audio outputs (Player-A L/R & Player-B L/R).
1) Power input
2) Fader start (input from mixers with Fader start outputs)

Packaging
Great. Unit is packed inside of a paded sleeve and styrofoam end caps hold it securly in the main box. Extras are packed in seperate boxes to keep them from rattling around the main box.

Included in the Box:
2) RCA interconnect cables
1) USB mini keyboard 12-1/2"L x 5-1/2"W
1) Power supply (similar to Laptop type)
1) 128mb Mini-USB Keyfob for transfering updates
1) Quick Start Manual (Full manuals are included on the USB Key)

Formats Supported: MP3, AAC, WAV
File Systems Supported: FAT16, FAT32, HFS+, NTFS(Read Only)
USB Supported: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0

OK how about how it works...Well here ya go.

Turning on the unit it flashes all lights and buttons to test. The unit automatically attaches the USB kayboard when attached with no setup required. Plugging in a USB source (keyfob or external USB Hard Drive) will prompt for a library if one does not exist or to load one if there is already a library on the drive. NOTE: it is better (and much faster) to create the library on a home PC using the Included software. (Updates for the PC program and D2 are available on the website).

With a 160GB external USB hard drive with 21,500 MP3's attached to my main home PC took 4 hours to create the library and seek tables. If you pre-make the seek tables on the PC it speeds up the load times on the D2. Otherwise the D2 must seek thru the song first before loading. There is also an option to create profiles also. Profiles are visual waveforms of the song used for beat matching. These waveforms are visable on the players large screen.

The D2 Director has a very large screen 4"w x 3"h. Black and White display with contrast and brightness controls.

Browsing your mp3 library. There 4 methods available: 1)File Folder Structure: allows you to browse thru the folder structure on the storage drive. 2) Search: allows you to search by (Title, album, artist or all tags), 3) Browse: by Track, Album, Artist, Genre, BPM, Year 4) Browse: Playlists. NOTE: It's important to have your ID3 tags up to date if you want to use #2 or #3.

Controls
The buttons for playback (Play/Cue/Pause/Loop) are rubberized instead of hard plastic so contact is solid with your fingers. The rest of the buttons are hard plastic.
Sliders: Used for pitch control.
Jog Wheel: Pitch Bend, Search, Scratch Mode
Pitch Button: Adjusts pitch range
Search Button: Allows Jog wheel to quickly search current track
Scratch Button: Allows jog wheel to make a scratch effect with the current track loaded.
Play/Stutter: Start or Stutter effect
Pause: Pause
Cue: Returns to beginning of track or to set cue point.
Mode: Adjusts each players options: Track Load (Manual, Automatic, Continuous, Cyclic), Time Display (Elapsed, Remaining), Fader Start (Off, Cue Pause)
View: While tracks are playing it brings up extended information about the tracks in the players, press again to display the tracks profiles.
TAP: Used to help the Beatkeeper system to detect the proper tempo.
Loop in/Loop out/Reloop: Allows looping of a section of the track in the player.

Track Loading:
Manual: Tracks are loaded manually by user. When done they return to the start and pause.
Automatic: The next song at the top of the crate (see below on crate) will be loaded to deck and cued at the start.
Continuous: Like automatic but the next song will automatically start to play.
Cyclic: Like Continuous but after the song is finised it is put back into the bottom of the crate creating a never ending sequence of playback.

Keyboard Shortcuts: There are a whole bunch of keyboard shortcuts to help with using the D2 Director. This allows quick access to functions without having to use the D2 Directors keys. Best of these are the functions keys to quickly access the browse and search options. See a list of Shortcuts at the end.

Ok how's playback...After playing 12 hours there were zero studders or pauses on playback. There was a pause in the display output when loading tracks or transfers to the crate. But no pause in playback was noted. Pitch control is great and accurate. Display shows BPM change and Pitch % change when making adjustments.

Beatkeeper: This is a visual LED display (4 per player and a middle sync set) that is used to sync both players visually for beats. After playing with this is rather easy to sync the beats of two tracks. I did not use the Profile mixing method as the time required to Profile 21,000 tracks was haulted after 2 days of running on my PC. Smaller libraries might be ok but large ones take way too long to create (and they take up a conciderable amount of space on the drive also).

Searching: Very large drives takes between 5-10 seconds on average and up to 20 seconds for a very vague search (many hits), if browsing it quickly displays sections right away. Searching did pause the display at times, but playback had priority and did not stop, slowdown or stutter. A good thing. There are so many ways to search you should have no problem finding what you need.

The Crate: This is one of the best things about the player. This is a waitlist that is created on the fly during playback. While playing tracks you can use pre-created playlists or you can create a waitlist (Crate) during the event. This removes the need for post-it notes or a page for requestts. During playback you can search the entire library for a track and can load it into a player not being used and listen to it. If you like it you can transfer it to the crate. You can also transfer tracks from the library directly to the crate. During automatic playback the players can auto pull tracks from the crate. This is great for the necessary bathroom break to have it play a couple of songs while your out. You can also load tracks to the players directly from the library also. This is very flexable. The only thing missing is the ability to move tracks up/down in the Crate to order the auto playback. You can move up/down in the crate to select which track to load manually. I like this as a mobile DJ as guests come up and make requests I can transfer them in the crate and pull from there when I need a guest request.

SUMMARY:
There is so much more I could talk about, but this gives you a good start about this unit. I already love this playback unit due to the keyboard shortcuts and the crate function. It is very easy to use and the layout is perfect. I would recommend it as it is inexpensive ($499.00) and is built solid.

Pros:
1) Included USB Key and USB Keyboard
2) Easy software updates
3) The Crate is the bomb
4) Searching is great
5) Solid, well built and controls are crisp
6) No pauses/stutters in playback during all functions
7) Control Layout is simple and the buttons below the display makes use of menu items.

Cons:
1) Display is plastic covered and easily scratched (really needs to be glass). This is a common complaint of mine for almost all manufacturers. DJ equipment get's abused and displays need to be hard coated.
2) Display pauses when loading tracks (but playback continues to play)
3) USB cables must be good quality. Had problems with some cables for the unit to recognize the drive.
4) Unit is still new and more functions/ideas need to be incorporated. ie-moving crate items up/down. But updates have been quick since it's release.
5) Numark does not have a user Forum to get suggestions and user help. This is a big minus in my book. I hope they put one up.
6) The surface of the unit is a rough black finish and it will be dirty quickly in dusty environments. While finger prints are not a problem (compared to chrome finished units) dust turns the surface grey and you have to clean it to make it black again. (picky I know).

New Updates/Bug Fixes since release:
What's New Since v1.00
1)Improved handling and decoding of corrupt MP3 files.
2)Most files will now be playable.
3)Start up time has been improved by about four seconds.
4) The library internal format has changed in this release. If an older format library is connected the player will offer to update it to the new format. A new Librarian release is available now and can also update your old libraries (this is the fastest option).
5) Implemented better USB flash memory key support, especially for old, slow or unreliable devices.
6) Implemented instant start for tracks with silent or near-silent lead-ins. As with Numark CD players, such tracks now automatically cue to the start of the audio passage when loaded to a deck. You can search or freewheel back into the silent passage if you wish to do so.
7) Improved scratch behavior so the time code no longer creeps forward while scratching during playback.
8 ) The file browser is now much faster and no longer causes playback to glitch while navigating large folders.
9) Implemented a letter picker for navigating large lists in the Library more quickly. Press and rotate (while holding in) the rotary control to bring up the letter picker - each click moves by one initial letter at a time. Only letters actually used in the list will appear. When the control is released the list jumps to the first entry with the selected initial letter. It takes a few seconds to index a very large list so if you see the stopwatch icon wait a moment and try again.
10) Various beatkeeper improvements:
• Improved BPM detection accuracy
• Beatkeeper indicator now correctly tracks looping/scratching
• Fixed problem with occasionally skipping a beat
• Tap can now be used immediately the track starts
• Tap now works while looping
11) In Library track lists, pressing the rotary control now invokes the Info function. Pressing again within Info is now equivalent to Back.
12) Re-implemented the Library BPM browser to be more like that of the Numark HDX. This offers a more useful range of BPMs to choose from, and then opens a list of all tracks sorted by BPM with the highlight at the first track within the selected range. The BPM of each track is included as a column in the list.
13) The Crate now has a Swap function for each deck. It swaps the highlighted track with the track on the selected deck. This function has replaced Pull on the first page of the Crate menu - Pull can now be found on the second page.
14) The current item in a list now remains highlighted even when the focus is on another control, such as the criteria field in the Library search window.
15) The Library search text entry field is now cleared when starting a new search.
16) If a Library search yields no results, this is now indicated on screen.
17) The previous search string is now cleared when re-entering the Library search control.
18 ) Changing the Library search field before the previous search completes no longer causes a system error.
19) The highlighted item in a list now shows a right arrow if it can be selected to open a sub-list.
20) Added icons to each desk display to indicate the current play mode (automatic, continuous and cyclic). No icon is shown if the play mode is set to manual.
21) The automatic play modes (automatic, continuous and cyclic) will now advance to the next track when pause is pressed after playing through at least 75% of the current track. It is no longer necessary to also be within 20 seconds of the end.
22) When entering text using the rotary control, the next character is now previewed at the right side of the text box. This is to eliminate confusion over which characters have been entered already.
23) When connecting multiple devices at the same time (or powering on with multiple devices connected) the various library notification windows now appear in a sensible order.
24) The track progress bar no longer jumps by a pixel when a track is loaded.
25) The library builder no longer attempts to import tracks from the Mac .trashes folder.
26) The library builder now correctly identifies that a library built by Librarian is up to date and does not attempt to re-import all the tracks.
27) Tracks with invalid genre tags can now be properly imported into the library. Previously these tracks were listed by filename instead of title (which looked very odd if they were from an iPod).
28 ) AppleDouble files are no longer imported into the Library.
29) Added graphics to the pitch fader calibration screen to make it clearer which direction to move the faders at each step.
30) Spinning the jog wheel very fast in search mode no longer causes the deck to start searching backwards.
31) Added the USB port number to Track Info.
32) The folder has been split out from the filename in Track Info so files nested deep in the file system can be quickly identified.
33) Adding a track or tracks to the crate no longer causes the UI to pause for a moment.
34) The Apple iPod now correctly exits from "Do not disconnect" mode after ejection.
35) Fixed a problem where a deck could sometimes not start playback after attempting to search within the track during seek table generation.
36) Fixed a problem where spinning the jog wheel on an empty deck could cause a system error.
*snip*

- http://www.djchat.com

Last edited by chuckie: 13-Apr-07 at 01:26pm

Hypalync +

Times thanked
<
Hi groovers, I just thought you fellow computer Dj's might be interested in this new device I
stumbled across in my musical journey.

it's called the EKS XP10

unfortunately they aren't available in Australian stores yet, but there are a couple of
German companies that sell them. (thats were i got mine from)

I have found it to be the best computer Dj solution available, it allows you to use a real mixer (or a virtual one) and feels just like a good cdj unit.

btw. I would post a link to the relevant site but i haven't made 15 posts yet
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
This mob?

http://eks.fi/

That controller does look nice, looks similar to the XP10 at the top of this page.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekwipt

No a beat matching device doesn't need needles, but it also doesn't need platters to nudge the track forwards or back, a simple forward and back button would work, or a touch pad of some kind, a joystick, laser beams or some shit like that......

Nah, for scrolling through the wave-form of a song you can't beat a jog-wheel imo. I could never use an all button controller after the BCD.
Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<
^ exactly the same boat, never again after the bcd

although that unit is the nices looking one in this thread imo, so small and sexy.
looked at the page, wonder if it works with traktor

im just gonna get traktor scratch now with vinyl decks
(still not going to burn cds or buy vinyl )
hippyknight +

Times thanked
<
Just for your interested folks,

I have the XP10's, setup attached, Granted the mixer is old and dodge but does my bidding well enough. USB attached to USB Powered hub to Laptop.
  • Attached Thumbnails

Name:	House setup.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	25242  Click image for larger version

Name:	House setup2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	25243  
" No, I don't know how to fix it ALRIGHT!!!"
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
Hey HippyKnight,

What kind of software are you using?
So the XP10 connects to the mixer thru RCA and then also to the laptop via USB, is that right? An you don't need any middle box or something. I have been trying to figure out how it works with the XP10 when connected with a regular mixer...Thanks for sharing.

D1
hippyknight +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ D one

Hey HippyKnight,

What kind of software are you using?
So the XP10 connects to the mixer thru RCA and then also to the laptop via USB, is that right? An you don't need any middle box or something. I have been trying to figure out how it works with the XP10 when connected with a regular mixer...Thanks for sharing.

D1

Right, setup!

Laptop running VirtualDJ which natively supports the XP's and has mapping pre-configured with the additional functionality of a shift key x2 to customise.

XP's connect to Hub (self powered) then to Laptop via USB. Through the hub because the Laptop was giving me bad grounding sound issues when plugged straight into XP's, hence the powered Hub.

XP's rca to mixer and so forth. No middle box. Was the reason I bought this as i wanted the jog wheel and separate controllers. Has the built in sound card.

The units come with EKS's software called Bison but I found it very limiting and too simple. There is talk of native functionality with Ableton but at the moment it's seen as a standard Midi controller with ASIO and MIDI drivers available. I am only now playing around with Ableton demo over the last couple of weeks.

Apologies guys if this is all Grandma Eggs. Kinda keen to keep the TT in the setup as I still love the feel of a beat as apposed to the look (wave form) but most of my music is Mp3/ WAV now it made sense for me to go this way.

Units cost me $550 all up.
Site is http://www.eks.fi
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippyknight

Just for your interested folks,

I have the XP10's, setup attached, Granted the mixer is old and dodge but does my bidding well enough. USB attached to USB Powered hub to Laptop.

i learnt on that mixer, Gemini Pro 600 or something
step on my cubes.
hippyknight +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

i learnt on that mixer, Gemini Pro 600 or something

yeah, you got it!

626PRO I think.

and I am still learning. Borrowed a mate's Denon 1500 for awhile but he wanted it back for some reason to use himself.

No longer mates....
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippyknight

Right, setup!

Laptop running VirtualDJ which natively supports the XP's and has mapping pre-configured with the additional functionality of a shift key x2 to customise.

XP's connect to Hub (self powered) then to Laptop via USB. Through the hub because the Laptop was giving me bad grounding sound issues when plugged straight into XP's, hence the powered Hub.

XP's rca to mixer and so forth. No middle box. Was the reason I bought this as i wanted the jog wheel and separate controllers. Has the built in sound card.

The units come with EKS's software called Bison but I found it very limiting and too simple. There is talk of native functionality with Ableton but at the moment it's seen as a standard Midi controller with ASIO and MIDI drivers available. I am only now playing around with Ableton demo over the last couple of weeks.

Apologies guys if this is all Grandma Eggs. Kinda keen to keep the TT in the setup as I still love the feel of a beat as apposed to the look (wave form) but most of my music is Mp3/ WAV now it made sense for me to go this way.

Units cost me $550 all up.
Site is http://www.eks.fi

is that $550 each or both? the rrp on that site is listed as rrp 299 euro per unit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Page 2 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »