Page 3 of 3
  Tools
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by hippyknight

Right, setup!

Laptop running VirtualDJ which natively supports the XP's and has mapping pre-configured with the additional functionality of a shift key x2 to customise.

XP's connect to Hub (self powered) then to Laptop via USB. Through the hub because the Laptop was giving me bad grounding sound issues when plugged straight into XP's, hence the powered Hub.

XP's rca to mixer and so forth. No middle box. Was the reason I bought this as i wanted the jog wheel and separate controllers. Has the built in sound card.

The units come with EKS's software called Bison but I found it very limiting and too simple. There is talk of native functionality with Ableton but at the moment it's seen as a standard Midi controller with ASIO and MIDI drivers available. I am only now playing around with Ableton demo over the last couple of weeks.

Apologies guys if this is all Grandma Eggs. Kinda keen to keep the TT in the setup as I still love the feel of a beat as apposed to the look (wave form) but most of my music is Mp3/ WAV now it made sense for me to go this way.

Units cost me $550 all up.
Site is http://www.eks.fi

Hey Thanks for that, one of my mate is using his mate setup and it is a bit similar except for mixer they use a DJM800, same software and the XP10s. It is interesting coz you can still use your regular mixer as opposed to a all in one controller, which sometimes the mixer feels to "toyish" to me...

These guys are overseas so when I saw one of them I forgot to ask if they had some kind of extra box in the setup. For some reason I thought you would have needed one of these Native Instrument box which do cost a bit.

So $550 per XP10...so if you have a mixer and a laptop you can go fully digital...must be really interesting setup...

D1
hippyknight +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ D one

Hey Thanks for that, one of my mate is using his mate setup and it is a bit similar except for mixer they use a DJM800, same software and the XP10s. It is interesting coz you can still use your regular mixer as opposed to a all in one controller, which sometimes the mixer feels to "toyish" to me...

D1

Yeah the toyish feeling was kinda of the reason I bought these. Though saying that they fairly toylike because there is no metal in the enclosure make up. Numerous customisable Buttons and jogwheel make it the business for me though.

Just to answer the price question I bought them for $550 for two including delivery as they were second hand but from what i could gather they were close to unused. Weren't fit for purpose for the guy I believe.

For my use and budget it was perfect. I play a lot of Tech house/ Techno rahrahrah so I like being able to pull bits in here and there, many cues, and play with the bass. I think it's called mixing but I could be wrong......
" No, I don't know how to fix it ALRIGHT!!!"
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
^^Yeah you can see they are plastic though since you can use them in conjonction with a real mixer I guess in my case it is a good compromise when travelling. leave 2 two fat cd wallets and the 2 x 6kg cd players home. Only bring mixer and the 2 XP10s (Well of course and the laptop)

$550 for both is not bad considering that this is the price of one basically.
I never seen something similar to the XP10, seen a lot of all in one though, as I see it I could live with the XP10, not too much a fan of the all in one.

D1
Ralph Wiggum +

Registered Techno User

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekwipt

http://www.vestax.com/v/products/players/vci100.html

This is looking like my next controller.

I'm interested to know if anyone here has actually used one, doesn't matter where. I'm wanting to know what the build quality is like?

Has anyone seen these in Melbourne?
Effin See

Rav

Frisky Music
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
Sturdy as Joe.

If i was looking for a controller like this it would be at the top of my list along with the m-audio thing. Which is a bit dearer i believe.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
Ralph Wiggum +

Registered Techno User

Times thanked
<
Sweeet that's what I wanted to hear.

The m-audio looks fkn hot, but is retailing for approx $1200, not for me. But the Vestax, Store DJ has them for around $550 plus it comes with their LE version of Virtual DJ, Cue or Cube? Apparently the only dif in the software is the ability to output video

I'll go and hunt one down this weekend!
Effin See

Rav

Frisky Music
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Yeah I had a play on one of those at spank records briefly and it was hell fun. Seemed
pretty well built?
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
I'd love that Vestax if it had an internal soundcard like the BCD, kind of defeats the 'all-in-one' solution I was lookin for otherwise.
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
Like I said I am not too much of all in one, the reason being because of the mixer part which sometimes lack of quality. Though never put my hands on the Vestax...if the quality of the mixer is good then this would be a cool device...Having try the BCD2000, I'd say depending of the quality of the mixer on the Vestax it would be probably be worth to double the money and get the Vestax instead of the BCD3000.

If you are in the market for this type of device, it would really pay of to try all of them instead of just purchasing blindly.

M-audio Torq Xponent looks good as well. I like the long pitch slider, as opposed to the vestax, but prefer the Vestax mixer part and look.

As for software, Traktor is pretty serious business. Not sure what the Torq one comes with though.

D1
Ralph Wiggum +

Registered Techno User

Times thanked
<
I've had a BCD2000 for almost a year now and wouldn't bother with getting the 3000 as the components are identical.

Interesting that the Vestax doesn't have an onboard sound card, seems rather odd. (I hadn't noticed or read that earlier) Still, a good quality USB sound card for the laptop would definitely get used, so I may look at that as an option.

I'll go and try one (if I can find one) this weekend and report back with my findings.
Effin See

Rav

Frisky Music
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

The m-audio looks fkn hot, but is retailing for approx $1200, not for me. But the Vestax, Store DJ has them for around $550 plus it comes with their LE version of Virtual DJ, Cue or Cube? Apparently the only dif in the software is the ability to output video

Actually the Vestax retails around 800 not 550

D1
Ralph Wiggum +

Registered Techno User

Times thanked
<
It's gone up then, storedj had them for $550 earlier this week.
Effin See

Rav

Frisky Music
deepbeetzz +

Extension.666

Times thanked
<
Nobody has really mentioned Live. Does anyone use a midi contoller with live as a dj setup? Would love to hear any experiences and/or recommendations.

Mad thread

db
soundcloud
Ralph Wiggum +

Registered Techno User

Times thanked
<
Abelton Live?

If so, I know Blinky Live uses one
Effin See

Rav

Frisky Music
deepbeetzz +

Extension.666

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Abelton Live?

If so, I know Blinky Live uses one

Yes indeedy, Abelton Live.

Is it true that a midi controller really aint to hard to build? Anyone ever attempted it?

db
soundcloud
Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<

Quote:

which what outputs video sorry?

sounds cool...
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
Check these bad mother F******s:

http://www.djmag.com/index.php?op=st...ve&word=&page=

http://www.djmag.com/index.php?op=st...ve&word=&page=

Be sure to visit the manufacturer site to see the other models.

D1
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
expensive units though.
step on my cubes.
Un_discovered +

Times thanked
<
Does anybody know much about the Numark Total Control?

Given what I've heard about the apparent lack of quality from Behringer's units (the BCD2000 and 3000), and that I'm yet to read a bad word of Numark, they seem the perfect alternative at the same price, given that I don't need the BCD's built-in soundcard (That's what a PC's soundcard is for, isn't it? )
DJSketch +

Strike3

Times thanked
<
hrmm
i havent used any controller, i always jack the outputs directly into the clubs mixer and away we go.

but recently i've been using a Xone3d, and i cant really complain, lol
Filthy Gorgeous
Cott Sessions
Rouge
Fuse
Halliwell @ Villa - April 16

www.strike3productions.com

Hit me up on PM for guestlist & VIP Comps.
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Un_discovered

(That's what a PC's soundcard is for, isn't it? )

Only if you've got some whizz-bang onboard card. Most internal cards don't have enough channels to allow mixing and monitoring at the same time.
Fear my latest tune.
DJSketch +

Strike3

Times thanked
<
hrmm

ok i use ableton+ traktor+ a vst host,, but i controll it with the knobs on a 25key midi keyboard and the mouse + keyboard and the vinyl control

but im growing a bit tired of using the vinyl interface at all, im thinking about going to a full digital setup, (BUT, i dont want to use the internal mixer on the control surface, i want to use the clubs mixer)

do you think getting a BCD2/3000 but just not using the mixer functions on it, jacking out to the clubs mixer. would be the best way to interface with traktor?

if i was to go that way, i'd worry about too much junk on stage cause i only play club sets and i play sometimes two at different venues per night.

i'd have to carry a laptop/bcd/externalsoundcard around with me but the advantage would be i wouldnt have to touch the keyboard/mouse during a set, or unpulg turntables ect.
what do ya think?

is there something more efficient as a control surface, that i can also use as a soundcard but not mixer. ( i.e two seperate outputs) i CANT use the Xone 3d, because its not practical to take to gigs with me,, Oh hi, yeah, can i just plug my fuckin 30 inch mixer in over there while you're mixin, dont mind me, lol
Filthy Gorgeous
Cott Sessions
Rouge
Fuse

Last edited by DJSketch: 08-Aug-07 at 06:15pm

DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
Probably taking your own MIDI keyboard and laptop would be your best bet.
Un_discovered +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Fusion

Only if you've got some whizz-bang onboard card. Most internal cards don't have enough channels to allow mixing and monitoring at the same time.

There's nothing whizz-bang about a 6ch soundcard
You can pick up good sounding ones for $20
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
Okay then.
DJSketch +

Strike3

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Probably taking your own MIDI keyboard and laptop would be your best bet.

hrmm, that's what i've been doin, but we play live too, so i cant map it to control traktor, as it's controlling the VST host for samples/intruments.
Filthy Gorgeous
Cott Sessions
Rouge
Fuse

Ralph Wiggum +

Registered Techno User

Times thanked
<
I just bought the Numark Total Control today to go with my Numark DJ|IO and am very impressed, a piece of piss to set up and the sound quality is so much better. Quite an upgrade from the BCD2000.

Numark Cue LE and Traktor LE is in the box which is licenced software, which is a great bonus

I took me about 5 minutes to get used to it after using the BCD2000 and can highly recommend it.

Very happy with my purchase.
Effin See

Rav

Frisky Music
Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<
you might want to know about the odd midi signals that unit uses joe...

"All the MIDI controllers I’ve encountered in the past have used the same format for endless encoders, rotating clockwise will send out a stream of, (to paraphrase the machines) “+1″ messages. Counterclockwise gives “-1″. Spin your jogwheel or knob faster, and it sends out more messages per second. The Total Control, however, changes its message depending on how fast the wheel is spinning, so an increasingly quick movement would look like “+1 +1 +2 +3 +5 +7 +7 +8″ etc. Even more bizarrely, the values seem the reverse of what they should be, so a clockwise movement gives negative values."

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/0...trol/#comments

not that your probably gonna use it for vj-ing but incase your curious about setting it up for other programs than traktor, good to know stuff
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
Nice one Wiggum, looks like it craps on my BCD.
DastardlyD +

has funk on the mind.

Times thanked
<
I have been using the BCD 2000 for about three months now and i must admit that it serves my purposes very well.

Its true that the sound card aint perfect but i use a external powered Direct input and it cranks it out fine and i play out in the open in which the sound has to project over a large area and as far as i can tell, the sound quality is pretty much top notch even from a fair distance.

It would probably not work in a large club setting but for intimate clubs and outdoor gigs i would highly recommend it!

Now as far as having problems with it, as long as you dedicate ur CPU to DJing only and get rid of anything that might be chewing up extra RAM then i think you should be right to go.

The BCD may not be for everyone, but for what I do its a perfect alternative to lugging my turns, CDJ's, mixer, Records, CD's etc out and about. Just my Lappie and the BCD and I'm ready to rock!

A bit of food for thought......considering I only paid $260 fot it.
Ralph Wiggum +

Registered Techno User

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie Darko

you might want to know about the odd midi signals that unit uses joe...

"All the MIDI controllers I’ve encountered in the past have used the same format for endless encoders, rotating clockwise will send out a stream of, (to paraphrase the machines) “+1″ messages. Counterclockwise gives “-1″. Spin your jogwheel or knob faster, and it sends out more messages per second. The Total Control, however, changes its message depending on how fast the wheel is spinning, so an increasingly quick movement would look like “+1 +1 +2 +3 +5 +7 +7 +8″ etc. Even more bizarrely, the values seem the reverse of what they should be, so a clockwise movement gives negative values."

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/0...trol/#comments

not that your probably gonna use it for vj-ing but incase your curious about setting it up for other programs than traktor, good to know stuff

Works a treat in Cue

I did actually notice when I originally configured by BCD that the rotary and tempo controls when midi mapped all worked in reverse, this of course can be edited, but I did find it a bit odd that the standard was in reverse?

Quote:

Nice one Wiggum, looks like it craps on my BCD.

Nawwwwww
Effin See

Rav

Frisky Music
newjack +

brisvegas_vibez

Times thanked
<
Iam seriously thinking of getting this

NEW! M-Audio Torq Xponent
Price: $1099.00 Add To Cart
Members Price: $1079.00

LIMITED STOCK AVAILABILITY DUE TO LARGE DEMAND. ORDER NOW TO BE NEXT IN LINE. Torq Xponent is a cutting-edge performance system that brings professional-grade control to the world of the computer-based DJ. Engineered by M-Audio’s SynchroScience Design Group, the package includes the Torq DJ software that’s revolutionizing digital DJing and the Xponent hardware control surface that puts all that power right at your fingertips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLDkbyYkngw

For videos and more information visit: www.torq-dj.com

With full-size tactile controls, an integrated USB audio interface and intuitive MIDI-learn capabilities, Torq Xponent bridges the gap between traditional DJ hardware and today’s powerful performance software once and for all. This completely integrated system combines the features of a standard two-channel DJ mixer with the controls of a pair of DJ CD players, letting you cue, mix and scratch digital files without touching the host computer

4-output USB audio interface:

* 4 RCA outputs for independent control of the house system and booth monitors
* ¼” TRS headphone output with cue and volume controls
* 16-bit/48kHz max sample rate
* ASIO and Core Audio compatible

Mixer controls:

* 2 vertical volume controls
* 2 3-band EQ control knobs with kill buttons
* 2 gain-control knobs with mute buttons
* Horizontal crossfader control with transform buttons
* 2 LED volume meters

Player controls:

* 2 touch-sensitive scratch wheels
* 2 100mm pitch adjust controls
* Built-in touchpad/assignable X/Y control surface for mouse or effect control
* 8 assignable knobs for effect control
* 64 assignable backlit buttons, including Play, Cue, Seek, Loop, Key and Sync controls
* 2 LED progress meters

FOR SALE - 2x JBL 300w SP-15 & SKT-V6 Power Amp + Cables $1,700 ONO / Nightlife Info www.myspace.com/aussie_vibez & uk_vibez , usa_vibez , ibiza_vibez , brisvegas_vibez , sydney_vibez , melbourne_vibez , streetmusicnmags
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I just bought the Numark Total Control today to go with my Numark DJ|IO and am very impressed, a piece of piss to set up and the sound quality is so much better. Quite an upgrade from the BCD2000.

Numark Cue LE and Traktor LE is in the box which is licenced software, which is a great bonus

I took me about 5 minutes to get used to it after using the BCD2000 and can highly recommend it.

How much did you pay for this setup roughly??

I am considering the traktor route over the next few months will tell the tale if i get something like this or just use ableton and a Novation remote SL Zero.

I am thinking purely from a layout perspective, this sort of thing would make it a bit more fun and have that switch on and go playability.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
deepbeetzz +

Extension.666

Times thanked
<

Quote:

You just sold me on one with that post sir. Got my hands on my native instruments Audio 8 Dj from OS finally last week (lovelly!!!) so the controller is next. Was leaning towards the numark but was stilling doing some investigation on options, but if you say its the goods then thats enough for me. Wow I sure do value the opinion someone a forum I have never meet or spoken too.

Easy to set up is it? Comes all mapped for Traktor I know that, have you used it with any other software yet?

db
soundcloud
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<
Ok I'm just getting into DJing so excuse the dumb question. I've just bought two CDJ800s and a Vestax PCV-275. I'd like to use Traktor to mix MP3s on my MacBook as well, so am I looking for something like the BCD-3000 or is there something simpler to use? And do I run my laptop to the BCD, then the BCD to my Vestax mixer, then mixer to speakers? I'm looking for something just to have a bash around on so the Behringer sounds like it'll do the trick. Also, can the BCD be used to add effects to what's coming through the CDJs?

Cheers
djtoki +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by newjack

Iam seriously thinking of getting this

NEW! M-Audio Torq Xponent
Price: $1099.00 Add To Cart
Members Price: $1079.00

LIMITED STOCK AVAILABILITY DUE TO LARGE DEMAND. ORDER NOW TO BE NEXT IN LINE. Torq Xponent is a cutting-edge performance system that brings professional-grade control to the world of the computer-based DJ. Engineered by M-Audio’s SynchroScience Design Group, the package includes the Torq DJ software that’s revolutionizing digital DJing and the Xponent hardware control surface that puts all that power right at your fingertips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLDkbyYkngw

With full-size tactile controls, an integrated USB audio interface and intuitive MIDI-learn capabilities, Torq Xponent bridges the gap between traditional DJ hardware and today’s powerful performance software once and for all. This completely integrated system combines the features of a standard two-channel DJ mixer with the controls of a pair of DJ CD players, letting you cue, mix and scratch digital files without touching the host computer

4-output USB audio interface:

* 4 RCA outputs for independent control of the house system and booth monitors
* ¼” TRS headphone output with cue and volume controls
* 16-bit/48kHz max sample rate
* ASIO and Core Audio compatible

Mixer controls:

* 2 vertical volume controls
* 2 3-band EQ control knobs with kill buttons
* 2 gain-control knobs with mute buttons
* Horizontal crossfader control with transform buttons
* 2 LED volume meters

Player controls:

* 2 touch-sensitive scratch wheels
* 2 100mm pitch adjust controls
* Built-in touchpad/assignable X/Y control surface for mouse or effect control
* 8 assignable knobs for effect control
* 64 assignable backlit buttons, including Play, Cue, Seek, Loop, Key and Sync controls
* 2 LED progress meters

I recently bought one of these and promptly returned it a week later. For the price tag, I was expecting something of higher quality (in terms of components). My main gripe was stability.. I tuned the f*ck out of my XP on my notebook (which is brand new 2gig ram etc) as recommended on all the forums, and still after a few tracks, things would go pear shaped... hum would develop indicating processor overload. Adjusted latency settings, still wierd shit would happen that required a re-connect or worse a reboot. Sadly I chose to try it out at a gig, and nothing is worse than a hum through a big PA system.

Why cant M-audio get what is simple 2 channel soundcard and midi controller package right? Serato worked flawlessly for me in terms of stability, sadly this baby did not.
Im now back using a x-session midi controller with a M-adio Fast track pro sound card and it is super stable... just not enough buttons and knobs on the controller. Funny they cant get it right when wrapping the two things into one package.
Tristan W +

Times thanked
<
I'm thinking of selling my serato and decks to get a mp3 controller for tractor, is NI bringing anything out. Or is there anything coming out soon that is going to be good to mix with. Something you can take to a gig and just plug into a channel and away you go.
waldorf +

everything, everything

Times thanked
<
Keen to know what people are currently using and how they set it up.

With the release of several new controllers, some with platters, others in mixer style there seem to be an endless number of possibilities on how to incoporate a controller in to a dj rig.
Kana

http://www.okkana.com

https://soundcloud.com/leo-hede

sck007 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldorf

Keen to know what people are currently using and how they set it up.

With the release of several new controllers, some with platters, others in mixer style there seem to be an endless number of possibilities on how to incoporate a controller in to a dj rig.

Ditto, I'm looking to pick up a controller for DJing with Live - have an SL25 at home for production - was looking at either a BCR2000 or UC-33e
endakis +

Times thanked
<
Hoping someone could help me out,

Just bought a Hercules DJ MK4 to muck around with mates on, but experiencing some skipping when I'm playing.

My laptop is an Asus K52F, 4g of Ram and 500g harddrive, Intel i3 core and 2.26 ghz. From what I can gather this is easily enough to run the MK4. I'm running the copy of Virtual DJ that came with the control.

I've increased all the power schemes on the laptop, turned off my wireless etc. but it continues to skip. I've read a bit about increasing the virtual memory but not sure what the deal with this is? Or is Virtual DJ just not capable and I should get a copy of Traktor and map it out?
I've got my music stored on my D: drive and the program installed on the C: drive, but not sure that this is an issue at all.

Any help would be appreciated.
Hypalync +

Times thanked
<
Optional
if your experiencing skipping, you could try & force VDJ to pre-load more of the track:

config>options>max load (i set mine to always, then VDJ will try and cache the whole track)

oh... and another thing, i have found on some notebooks, the blue-tooth / WiFi can cause unusual interruptions, try disabling that ? (if possible)
Ralph Wiggum +

Registered Techno User

Times thanked
<
Cool, hadn't seen this thread in a couple of years and hadn't realised at how long I'd had my Numark gear for.

The sound card still works a treat and is used all the time

My Total Control has traveled the world with me and survived me well, all bar one effects knob which fell off a couple of weeks ago and the right fader is getting sloppy but all in all very happy

Worth every penny
Effin See

Rav

Frisky Music
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=284249
check out the buying selling thread if you want a BDC 3000!.. or Xone 22 mixer
/hijack
Page 3 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »