The DJ Booth

Dj equipment

Reply
Page 2 of 2
  Tools
DJ D one +

Registered User

DJ D one's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posts
1,500
Get a Numark DXm06 and 2 second hand Denon DNS1000 or Pioneer CDJ800 will get you occupied for a while.
I would say these are internediate, don't get anything below, as after 5-6 months you will want to upgrade (If Djing is your thing). Ultimately you will want CDJ1000 or DNS3500, but with the other set up will keep you busy for a year or 2 and can be found within budget if you go with DNS1000.
Damn in december they was that setup (DXm06 + 2 x DNS1000) for $1000 on ebay (Sold for $1000 as well), I whish I could have afforded it, would have bought just for the good deal it was).
Ebay is a bit tricky, don't buy from DJs but from Newbies that decided Djing is not for them, the equipment is less used, buying from DJs you can be sure the equipment is very used, and can be just not far from falling apart, you don't want to be buying a mixer just to find out you have to change the cross fader...so beware.
Anyway get some decent headphone straight from the beginning, I started with $30 ones (And I should not have gone thru that, but too late), now got decent ones, not the top yet but getting there.

DJD1
AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81
i was in ur situation like last year.. even with the same budget but i waited 6 months and got a 3.5K setup..what u need to do .. is stop asking ppl in the forums about the DJ Stuff.. it never helped me.. its good to see what other ppl say about products thats about it...dont go to DJWAREHOUSE.. there prices are ridiculous.. u will end up paying a better deal from an online store or sumn... now if u want to pay for needles n all that.. and records.. get vinyl (if u have the cash).. if u dont.. go with the cd's.. a good DJ will play on anything given to him..when u hear CD's.. u think oh pio's.. thats not the only option.. there are stantons equally good.. the new 1's are like 600 bucks.. and are as goood as the cdj800mk2.. but that is just a suggestion... as for a mixer.. i got an ecler nuo2...built to last.. its awesome i got it 600 new..but i dont think ur looking for sumn that much.. hmm.. all i can say is.. just save up a tad more.. that is if u want.. and look at the rest of ur money.. and go to a shop and test some shit out.. ur mixing hardcore shit.. so ur not gonna scratch..and some ppl say dont get like 30 headphones n stuf.. well 30 dollaz is a bit extreme but u can get 50 dolla ones.. therz a dj i noe.. spins house n stuff.. i think he dj's at zeta bar or sumn like that.. well his home setup.. is 2 technics.. a 50 dolla headphone.. and a 400 dolla mixer.. thats what he learnt with.. and thats what he had for a couple of years.. if u take care of ur equipment.. it will last.. best advice.. just go to a shop tell em ur budget.. and search some equipment...just suggestions no1 go sayin shit.. check out these.... stanton 303.. stanton 304.. u can also get like dual cd decks if u wanted..pio 200.. for a mixer u can chek out the.. VESTAX VMC-002XL..or the VMC-004XL.. (difference is the channels..but ull probably just need 2)..vestax make really quality mixers.. perfect for house and dance music and things in that genre..and they really do last.. so last advice.. dont be like me and post stuff in this forum.. ull get 10% useful comments.. and the rest is garbage
DJ D one +

Registered User

DJ D one's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posts
1,500
At least 10% useful comments is better than 0%
And people on this board are very helpfull or at least trying (And have been very helpfull to me in the past)...I spent 10 minutes writing my post, I could have been wanking instead. At least he will not get the mixer he was thinking of getting nor the CD players. You can get a k-mart mixvibe or whatever they are called for less than $150 would you suggest that?, you can go to jaycar and get a flimsy dual for $250 and a mixer for $150, would you suggest that? People ask help and sugestions, that is what they get, then they can make up their own mind, but at least after that they are more informed, and less likely to buy crap.
Nothing personal just my opinion.

DJD1
AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81
nono i know wat ur saying, but i did also give suggestions on what products he should look at.. no harm in that? i think what i meant was ppl saying.. dont buy PIO cuz its bad.. and.. dont get a 50 dolla headphone cuz i broke one..or dont get this cuz it is worse than a djm800 (for example lol).. and because he is probably a begginer..he will probz take it in.. and say damn i need more than 1.5 or 1.6k ..ill need a 5k setup.. just stuff like that man.. i know where ur coming from though.. yeah ofcourse a forum is gonna be useful...but so far ive had that 10% luck..but stil as you said its better than 0%
P_A_Sime +

I'd have a crack :)

P_A_Sime's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Posts
6,500

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

I've just solved all your problems.

http://www.djdeals.com/denonDNHD2500.htm


I wonder how much these will be here in Aus. I wouldnt mind a couple of those.
DJ D one +

Registered User

DJ D one's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posts
1,500
At the end it is all very subjective.
My first setup cost me about 1.3k second hand and kept me happy for 2 years, the mixer would have still keep me happy but sold the lot and upgraded to some DNs3500
My original set up was a Numark CDN90 and DXM06 with a cheap Behringer headphone.
Now I have some Sennheiser and just getting a Denon DNX300.
The headphones were allright at first because due to space restriction I was playing in the headphones, when I started to have more space and plugged the speakers, the headphones were having a hardtime keeping up as they tended to distort and I needed them to be louder for monitoring as I had a speaker right under me.
For sure you can spend a lot on equipment or try to make it on a budget, the thing is will you be djing for long or have the patience to learn, I see a lot that buy top notch equipment just to sell it a few months after, but then again praticsing on good equipment might give you more patience, don't know...really subjective again. I think there is a lot of guys out there taking DJing because they think it is cool, you'll get the girls etc...so they take out djing for the wrong reason to start with, some will then fall in love with it, but I suspect most will give up. For me the right reason to take out djing is because you love music to start with...and certainly not because you think it is cool.

DJD1
AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81
^ yeah.. best lesson here : the best dj's in the world will play with anything u give them.. even if it is a tape deck.. theyll rock ur world
P_A_Sime +

I'd have a crack :)

P_A_Sime's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Posts
6,500
Ive worked with some of the best in the world, and believe me, they wont play on anything you give'em.
Marky +

ITM Contributor

Marky's Avatar
Joined
Jun '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
2,430
Here's a different spin on it.

Would you spend $50,000+ on your first car, before you knew how to drive? If it was your own hard-earned money? (I really am not interested if your Daddy bought you an Audi TT to learn in)

I know I wouldn't.

Dude - if you want to get into this NOW, buy what you can afford NOW. If in 3 to 6 months you still love it, and find you've outgrown your gear, then that's fantastic - you obviously are ready to step up to the next level. Sell your old learner gear, and put the money towards getting new & better stuff. Sure, you'll maybe a drop a few hundred bucks or so on the transaction. But that's nothing compared to waxing $5000 on a top-notch setup that ends up gathering dust.

And if you sit around gear0lusting (as we all do) chances are you'll always be a few months a bunch of dolalrs away from being able to get what you want.

You said you have no job. So you are time-rich, and money poor. Spend the dosh you have on the best value package you can find, and spend 12 hours a day mixing tunes. You'll soon know if your gear is holding you back.
hit me up on the cloud: http://soundcloud.com/marcus-murky
big eddie +

Got soju?

big eddie's Avatar
Joined
Jan '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 8,126
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
Posts
51,633
prima donna jukeboxes, the irony of it all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

DJ D one +

Registered User

DJ D one's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posts
1,500

Quote:

Originally Posted by P_A_Sime

Ive worked with some of the best in the world, and believe me, they wont play on anything you give'em.

Lol I think he was refering to gear not muzik.
Surely it is always embarassing to play stuff that isn't yours...I hate request and more precisely people that bring their own CD, that I hate as much as death...coz then people think it was coming from me, and surely when it does not come from me...it is crap (Even if it is good), I put music according to the dance floor and the style I am in at the moment, I holdon to my best till I say I have to put it, coz I judge it is the right time. I spit on everybody that tell me to put a song, and then think they are the best because some people are dancing, I say try and come to put a 100 in a row. lol probably would have 5 minute silence between each track lol...

DJD1
P_A_Sime +

I'd have a crack :)

P_A_Sime's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Posts
6,500
I meant gear
RobbievanBasten +

aka... Robbie Santiago

Joined
May '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
237
sooo.......... what did young Wulvo purchase?
DJ D one +

Registered User

DJ D one's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posts
1,500
yeah would be interesting to know know...lol
DJD1
Bracko +

Bracko's Avatar
Joined
Apr '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1,532
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
Posts
42,178

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie

prima donna jukeboxes, the irony of it all.

step on my cubes.
wulvo +

Registered User

Joined
May '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
156

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbievanBasten

sooo.......... what did young Wulvo purchase?

Nothing yet

Saving up some money for cdj 800's most likley and a good mixer lol.

Thanks for the last batch of posts guys, diid help alot this time.

Anyways thanks.

By the way, im using virtual dj at home so im in no rush now to buy since im already mixing. I know its not as good but still man what the hey lol.

I posted a hardcore mix i made here http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post390510356

so if yu could tell me what yah think of it and if i have any future. Please reply too the mix in the link gven above.

Thanks guys.
bigruss +

Registered User

Joined
Sep '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
19
what virtual dj program are you using atm? and is it free?
thanks
rockdapingping +

ITM Contributor

rockdapingping's Avatar
Joined
Oct '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
1,919
Dude I read up until about post 25, where it clicked to me that you would be trying to mix hardcore, on cdjs. Serious dude, don't do it, get vinyls!

I mix hardcore, I wouldn't call myself a dj as such - I've got plenty of good gear due to a job that pays too much, and having no expenses (I'm also trying to get into the PA hire business, but that's another story) - but I can mix ok. I mix just about everything hard - happy hard, freeform/FiNRG, hardstyle, old school trancecore, gabber, industrial - and I would not survive if it weren't for my vinyl decks. I got vinyl decks to start with, and I use them the most. Why you ask?

YOU CAN'T FIND SHIT ALL LEGAL HARDCORE MP3s!!!

Seriously, anything decent in the way of hardcore, is all on vinyl. My entire CD collection, I can't use in a club, cause it's all pirated. If I could find somewhere to buy decent hardcore mp3s, I would, but I can't.

Basically the only people who mix hardcore on cd are the huge name internationals who get sent the tracks by the artists long before they come out on vinyl and/or produce the tracks themselves, and bedroom djs - cause they can use pirated stuff. The problem with pirated tracks is that a) they're usually shit quality, and b) if you get caught playing them in public you'll get hit with a massive fine.

Also, you might not have a problem with mixing with albums now, but that won't last long. I've done a little bit of promoting as well as djing, and I didn't allow a guy to play at a party one time cause he turned up with a bunch of Ministry of Sound Hard Bass/Hard NRG type cds to play with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Rooster

yeah I'm 18... the reason I know about the party scene back in the early 90s is cos my dad told me about it. Dimwit.

AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81
im pretty sure beatport and juno have lots of hardcore mp3's....
AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdapingping


Seriously, anything decent in the way of hardcore, is all on vinyl. My entire CD collection, I can't use in a club, cause it's all pirated. If I could find somewhere to buy decent hardcore mp3s, I would, but I can't.

Basically the only people who mix hardcore on cd are the huge name internationals who get sent the tracks by the artists long before they come out on vinyl and/or produce the tracks themselves, and bedroom djs - cause they can use pirated stuff. The problem with pirated tracks is that a) they're usually shit quality, and b) if you get caught playing them in public you'll get hit with a massive fine.

i thought i was a foool.. why cant u use ur cd in a club?.. how does the club noe ur songs are pirated?.. IM PRETTY SURE THEY CANT..cuz u burn them on a cd.. clubs arent gonna put ur cd on a comp and check... i know lots of ppl that play with legit and non legit songs on their cd's in clubs.. .. beatport.. and juno.. all have hardcore mp3's.. im very sure of that..

try n not make up shit on the spot...but yeh the only thing ur prolly rite is that most hardcore tracks come out on vinyl first.. and im pretty sure u didnt even say that
rockdapingping +

ITM Contributor

rockdapingping's Avatar
Joined
Oct '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
1,919
I'm not talking about the clubs themselves, I don't know how it's done, but it's do-able. I know this is gonna sound like 'some bullshit I made up on the spot', but I actually DID read a news article about a bunch of djs in the UK getting fined for using pirated music in clubs. The fine for broadcasting music without a licence is pretty hefty - not a risk I'd take, however slim.

I've looked at beatport, juno, and a bunch of other sites, and the FiNRG website is the only site I've found with any decent hardcore tracks (I think from memory the nu nrg site had mp3s for sale too).

Also, what you said about hardcore tracks coming out on vinyl first is only half true. If you can get in contact with any artist, signed on any label, you can usually find a bunch of tracks that aren't out on vinyl yet. You won't get the big releases unless you're 'someone' but you can usually find unreleased tracks if you do enough digging.

So next time, don't be a prick, and acuse people of 'making shit up on the spot'. Cause you might just find that they aren't as big of an idiot as you think.

PS
Did you take English classes at school? Cause you've obviously got no idea about spelling OR grammar.

EDIT:
I'd also like to address your comment that the best djs in the world will play on anything you give them. That is a complete load of crap. Even decent interstate djs will usually insist on either Pioneer CDJs, Technics 1200s, or a Pioneer DJM mixer. As Sime will testify to (and he was not joking when he said he's dealt with 'the best in the world'), the bigger the dj, the pickier they are about the gear they play on (usually).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Rooster

yeah I'm 18... the reason I know about the party scene back in the early 90s is cos my dad told me about it. Dimwit.

Last edited by rockdapingping: 27-Jan-07 at 08:42pm

AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81
yes i did take unglish classes in school..im doing my hsc.. i dont see the point of writing to u properly.. well atleast admit it.. u made up shit.. you said clubs didnt allow you to play in their clubs because ur entire cd collection is pirated.. but then u just said u READ sumwhere that ppl got fined.. dont try and miss inform sum guy...and beatport and juno have LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS of hardcore tracks.. and they are ALL DECENT..i cant see anything wrong with them.. and u stated again.. that the only people that mix hardcore on cd's.. are international superstar dj's..LOL OKAY

sorry.. but if that is true ill take it back.. but for now i find it hard to beleive that there are no dj's that play hardcore on cd's... just amazing
AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdapingping

Dude I read up until about post 25, where it clicked to me that you would be trying to mix hardcore, on cdjs. Serious dude, don't do it, get vinyls!

I mix hardcore, I wouldn't call myself a dj as such - I've got plenty of good gear due to a job that pays too much, and having no expenses (I'm also trying to get into the PA hire business, but that's another story) - but I can mix ok. I mix just about everything hard - happy hard, freeform/FiNRG, hardstyle, old school trancecore, gabber, industrial - and I would not survive if it weren't for my vinyl decks. I got vinyl decks to start with, and I use them the most. Why you ask?

YOU CAN'T FIND SHIT ALL LEGAL HARDCORE MP3s!!!
Seriously, anything decent in the way of hardcore, is all on vinyl. My entire CD collection, I can't use in a club, cause it's all pirated. If I could find somewhere to buy decent hardcore mp3s, I would, but I can't.

Basically the only people who mix hardcore on cd are the huge name internationals who get sent the tracks by the artists long before they come out on vinyl and/or produce the tracks themselves, and bedroom djs - cause they can use pirated stuff. The problem with pirated tracks is that a) they're usually shit quality, and b) if you get caught playing them in public you'll get hit with a massive fine.

Also, you might not have a problem with mixing with albums now, but that won't last long. I've done a little bit of promoting as well as djing, and I didn't allow a guy to play at a party one time cause he turned up with a bunch of Ministry of Sound Hard Bass/Hard NRG type cds to play with.


soz i posted doublesss my bad
Skerik +

naff

Skerik's Avatar
Joined
Nov '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 356
Thanked 245 Times in 129 Posts
Posts
2,165
I've found most internationals (hardcore or not) travel with cd's because

a: cheaper to fly with - having clocked up a few kays in the air myself, i can appreciate why these guys who fly 50 weeks a year do so with a cd wallet rather than 25kg's of records

b: most of these guys also run/own/work with record labels and use the choons from said label - bit of self promotion, and free music

I remember chattin to hixxy @ a syst0 one nite after i noticed he did the whole set from 2 discs - he just stated that these were choons about to get pressed and had 14 or so artists on each cd. after hearing that, i kinda understood that its not the medium that its presented on, its the content that matters to the 'floor

Kosheen bought 1 record with them last time they were in oz...
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
DJ D one +

Registered User

DJ D one's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posts
1,500
[quote=Skerik]i kinda understood that its not the medium that its presented on, its the content that matters to the 'floor[quote]

Well said!!! It is the way you build it up on the dance floor using your tunes, wether on vinyl or cds does not matter.

I can see this thread going to the same bs epic battle again...waste of time...the fact that both exist and that none of the two has disappeared means there are both in demand...bottom line no need to be a tyran , people can choose what they want to play on, and if it works for them...I am so happy...they made themselves the right choice.

DJD1
beattun +

Registered User

beattun's Avatar
Joined
Aug '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
600

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik

I've found most internationals (hardcore or not) travel with cd's because

a: cheaper to fly with - having clocked up a few kays in the air myself, i can appreciate why these guys who fly 50 weeks a year do so with a cd wallet rather than 25kg's of records

b: most of these guys also run/own/work with record labels and use the choons from said label - bit of self promotion, and free music

I remember chattin to hixxy @ a syst0 one nite after i noticed he did the whole set from 2 discs - he just stated that these were choons about to get pressed and had 14 or so artists on each cd. after hearing that, i kinda understood that its not the medium that its presented on, its the content that matters to the 'floor

Kosheen bought 1 record with them last time they were in oz...

agreed, im travelling to ireland next week and bringing my entire music collection with me (mostly cds now a days) but ill be bringing one vinyl and one vinyl only!
Ham and eggs - A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
rockdapingping +

ITM Contributor

rockdapingping's Avatar
Joined
Oct '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
1,919

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnthonyE

yes i did take unglish classes in school..im doing my hsc.. i dont see the point of writing to u properly.. well atleast admit it.. u made up shit.. you said clubs didnt allow you to play in their clubs because ur entire cd collection is pirated.. but then u just said u READ sumwhere that ppl got fined.. dont try and miss inform sum guy...and beatport and juno have LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS of hardcore tracks.. and they are ALL DECENT..i cant see anything wrong with them.. and u stated again.. that the only people that mix hardcore on cd's.. are international superstar dj's..LOL OKAY

sorry.. but if that is true ill take it back.. but for now i find it hard to beleive that there are no dj's that play hardcore on cd's... just amazing

Are you a retard or something? I never said clubs won't allow you to play cause your cd collection is pirated. I said I can't use my cds in a club for 2 reasons - pirated usually = low quality, and there's a risk of getting fined (however slim it may be). I've looked on beatport and juno, and I stick by my previous statement that there's very little quality stuff on there - which is of course an opinion, but I'm not gonna back down on it. I didn't not state that ONLY international superstar djs play on cd, again you seem to be reading what you want to read.

I never said that no hardcore djs play on cd, I may have been exaggerating when I said that 'basically the only people who play hardcore on cd are...', but the fact is that hardcore, is generally vinyl based. There will always be exceptions to any rule, a friend of mine who plays happy plays almost exclusively on CD - but if you ask him, he'll still tell you to learn on vinyl first.

Which really is the point I'm trying to make, there is nothing essentially WRONG with playing on cdjs, but hardcore is a vinyl dominated genre, do yourself a favour and learn with vinyls first. It's a lot easier (and in my opinion, it's the right way to do it) to switch to cd if you learn on vinyl, than it is to learn on cd, then switch to vinyl.

I got convinced by someone to learn vinyl before mixing with cd, when I was about to start, and I'm very grateful for that now.

EDIT:
Just went through 7 of the 11 pages of hardcore(that's about 100-150 tracks) of tracks on beatport, and didn't find 1 track I liked. I didn't even find any that I owned. That's not just happy hard, that's all the different sub-genres of hardcore. The only 2 decent labels they have on there are H2Oh (which I don't like, it's a good label, but I don't like the tracks) and Quosh (same as H2Oh. 2 labels, 1 gabber, 1 happy hard, no decent freeform, industrial, finrg...

EDIT #2:
Just checked juno, again, severely lacking in quality UK hardcore. No Raver Baby, Blatent Beats, Evolution/Evolution Plus, Next Generation - the list goes on. When it comes to Gabber, there's a whole 24 releases on there - and 7 of them are albums. Again the only decent UK label I could find was Quosh, and there was no decent Gabber. This just proves my point that you can't buy legal hardcore mp3s. Btw, if you went on there and saw plenty of good hardcore releases, it's probably cause you selected 'all' platforms, you need to click the 'download' button.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Rooster

yeah I'm 18... the reason I know about the party scene back in the early 90s is cos my dad told me about it. Dimwit.

Last edited by rockdapingping: 28-Jan-07 at 02:42pm

AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdapingping

This just proves my point that you can't buy legal hardcore mp3s.

yeah im heaps retarded..

i dont know what standards you have.. but im pretty sure.. that out there.. sum famous superstar hardcore dj buys sum tracks from beatport and juno and what not..

my point was dont misinform the guy by talking bullshit. he isnt gonna play infront of a crowd yet.. hes got sum time.. hes not going to be FULL fussy and pick what tracks he wants to play.. he should just learn to mix with any hardcore stuff he has and wants to get..

im not gonna bother saying anything more

ive said all i could..

dood..

vinyl = expensive needs money.. u prolly can get good traacks on vinyl more easily than cd's..

cd = cheaper in the long run and is what you want.

plus i think i already saw him say he was saving up for sum cdj800's.. hav fun with them.. there the bombbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
rockdapingping +

ITM Contributor

rockdapingping's Avatar
Joined
Oct '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
1,919
I'd be very suprised if there was ANY 'famous superstar hardcore dj' that buys mp3s from juno OR beatport. NONE of the big labels have mp3s on there, Quosh is only so-so, Nukleuz is shit, and most of the other labels, I've never even heard of! It's not a matter of him being fussy over tracks, the fact is, he would probably not know most of the tracks. Every dj wants to spin the music they know and love, and if they can't get access to the tracks, it's gonna piss em off.

I'm yet to see how I misinformed him, you may have misunderstood what I said, but I certainly did not misinform the guy.

Vinyl = great selection of fresh tracks, supports the artists that write the tracks, vinyls remain valuable, allows you to learn how to drop tracks, and lets you easily switch to CDJs if you wish to.

MP3s = shitty selection of unknown or old tracks, if you pirate the tracks you're taking money from the artists you love, MP3s aren't worth a thing from the second you buy them, and it's harder to switch to vinyl if you learn on CDJs.

Apart from that, you can pick up a nice set of new Stanton turntables (IMO the T120/ST120s and the STR8 150/T150s absolutely kick the ass of Technics 1200s), or a 2nd hand pair of Technics 1200s for much less than the price of CDJ800s. So in the short term, it's cheaper. You said you don't have a job? Well the money you save on turntables, you could put into buying vinyls, and by the time you get sick of those vinyls, you'll probably have a job, so you can afford vinyls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Rooster

yeah I'm 18... the reason I know about the party scene back in the early 90s is cos my dad told me about it. Dimwit.

P_A_Sime +

I'd have a crack :)

P_A_Sime's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Posts
6,500

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdapingping

Apart from that, you can pick up a nice set of new Stanton turntables (IMO the T120/ST120s and the STR8 150/T150s absolutely kick the ass of Technics 1200s)

Dear o dear............

And I have owned a pair of ST-150's
HAKS +

Cycling Central

HAKS's Avatar
Joined
Feb '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Posts
6,291

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdapingping

I'd be very suprised if there was ANY 'famous superstar hardcore dj' that buys mp3s from juno OR beatport. NONE of the big labels have mp3s on there, Quosh is only so-so,

if you did your research patty boy you would have noticed that Quosh have 95% (last time i checked) of their catologue online and available in 320kbps mp3's or wav files.

In regards to Happy hardcore there is plenty of legel MP3's available and more labels are making them available as we speak. I suspect (and hope) by years end the last few of the big Happy hard labels will have their sites ready. A few of the big ones are already very much on the ball with songs coming out about 3-4weeks after the vinyl realease on MP3. I did once upon a time think that there were none available but after some searching i had racked up a good $100+ worth of MP3 purchases in 1 night.

I do agree that Vinyl is better to learn to mix on but at the end of the day the records do cost an arm and a leg.
H2X
AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81
^ i went with vinyl ( i spin house /electro ) and i love it.. you can get awesome music on mp3's from beatport and every other site... but i decided to go vinyl? why? because i wanted to.. simple as that...i think that there both exactly the same(well not exactly) in what they do..rock the house... but im going to be adding a cdj1000..so i can have the best of both worlds.. i can put my music..samples..loops.. crap loads of songs.. and with that.. ima go crazy
P_A_Sime +

I'd have a crack :)

P_A_Sime's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Posts
6,500
If I was going to start learning to mix, I would whack out my 1000's anyday, theres no way in the world would I start paying for rekkids, no chance at all.
rockdapingping +

ITM Contributor

rockdapingping's Avatar
Joined
Oct '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
1,919

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAKS

if you did your research patty boy you would have noticed that Quosh have 95% (last time i checked) of their catologue online and available in 320kbps mp3's or wav files.

In regards to Happy hardcore there is plenty of legel MP3's available and more labels are making them available as we speak. I suspect (and hope) by years end the last few of the big Happy hard labels will have their sites ready. A few of the big ones are already very much on the ball with songs coming out about 3-4weeks after the vinyl realease on MP3. I did once upon a time think that there were none available but after some searching i had racked up a good $100+ worth of MP3 purchases in 1 night.

I do agree that Vinyl is better to learn to mix on but at the end of the day the records do cost an arm and a leg.

When I say Quosh is only 'so-so' I wasn't refering to how much they had online - I could see that almost all was online legally . I was refering to them being a 'major label', the reason I say that is because as far as I can see, they're the smallest of the big labels. Feel free to correct me on this one as they're not my favourite label by any stretch of the imagination, that was just my opinion really.

The only Happy Hard (notice I don't say happy hardcore ) labels I can find with legal stuff online (and believe me, I've searched ) is Quosh, and the Happy Hard labels that fall under Nu Energy Collective (for those that don't know, N.E.C. is mainly freeform). If you can point out other labels that have stuff online, I will go back on my statement, but I can't find them. Make sure you link me to anything you find

Vinyl may cost an arm and a leg, but the difference in price between a good set of 2nd hand technics (or new Stantons ) and a set of good CDJs would be enough to buy you enough vinyls to start with.

PS
I didn't mention Nukleuz cause they are SHIT imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Rooster

yeah I'm 18... the reason I know about the party scene back in the early 90s is cos my dad told me about it. Dimwit.

wulvo +

Registered User

Joined
May '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
156
Ummm, who said that i dwnloaded music of the net illegally??? And i purchased my ALBUMS there fore i am entitled to use that music on the floor if i wish.

I have been to other sites other than juno and beatport and have found heaps of good hardcore songs that i like.

And the quality of songs of juno and beatport are quite good, i must admit. The ones you listen to are only sampels.

i rekon vynl is 10 times better than CD's, but i dont have 20 bux to buy a new song each time.

I wanna use CDJ'S lol. Maybe vynl afterwads. Thanks for all the help guys.
AnthonyE +

Registered User

Joined
Apr '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
81

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulvo

Ummm, who said that i dwnloaded music of the net illegally??? And i purchased my ALBUMS there fore i am entitled to use that music on the floor if i wish.

I have been to other sites other than juno and beatport and have found heaps of good hardcore songs that i like.

And the quality of songs of juno and beatport are quite good, i must admit. The ones you listen to are only sampels.

i rekon vynl is 10 times better than CD's, but i dont have 20 bux to buy a new song each time.

I wanna use CDJ'S lol. Maybe vynl afterwads. Thanks for all the help guys.


hope u enjoy it buddy.
brenz +

Registered User

Joined
Mar '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Posts
96
honestly dude... get a behringer djx700 mixer they are great i had one for my first year of dj'n and i just upgraded to a pioneer djm800 last week and for the price i paid for the djx700 i was very impressed you will get away for under $400 and its a great mixer with a few effects to keep you occupied and plus the extra channels incase you have some wild ideas in the next year or so
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

littlebrains69's Avatar
Joined
Feb '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Posts
1,393
What ever you do..
Do NOT buy Stanton CD players. I bought two C.303s to learn on and they were pathetic. One kept skipping and would lock up when looping, and when I took back to stanton they told me they couldnt find anything wrong with it, and it worked when they 'tested' it. Also they wouldnt hold pitch properly, they would wander slightly. I had a friend that had a C304 that was also shotty.
Both of those models have now been replaced with 313 and 314 so maybe they have fixed the problems, but I wouldnt trust it.
So thats my two cents.
Also, I think for a cheap 2 channel mixer though, Numark DXM06 is a good one. Built in FX and pretty reilable.
Page 2 of 2
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts