The Wire

Page 1 of 10
  Tools
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
The Wire
Anyone else watch this show?

Just seen the few couple of episodes of Season 1. Looks really good so far, 1000 times better than the usual cop show garbage that is on.

Kinda funny seeing alot of the old Oz characters though.
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
Bump --- almost finished watching the first season.

This is some seriously good tv.

Highly recommended, do yourself a favour and hire out the DVD or grab a torrent of it.

Pinozi +

Degenerate Speculator

Times thanked
< 22
I d/l Season 1 about 3 weeks ago and Im in love with the show - such a realistic and gritty cop show.

The characters and their development is brilliant - the script and storyline are amazing!

The best character has to be Omar - smooth talking standover man, who happens to be gay!!
wassup 2 3 4 wassup 2 3 4
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah, Omar is one bad ass character.

Love that scene where he's walking into the projects in broad daylight with a shotgun. All the little hood-rat kids are yelling "Omar's coming! Omar's coming!" and everyone just starts running.

Will be watching the final episode of season 1 tonight. Apparently there's four seasons, so will be downloading the second one pretty soon I would imagine.
Pinozi +

Degenerate Speculator

Times thanked
< 22
Second season goes off on a different tangent as they chase dockworkers with splashes of the Barksdale crew thrown in. Season 3 then comes back to the Barksdale/Stringer Bell empire and "Hampsterdam".

Such a great show!

I just finished downloading Season 4, so I'll work my way through that soon
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
I've only seen season 2, and I agree, this is by far the best drama of recent memory. And i'm comparing it to other standouts such as The Shield, West Wing, 6 Feet Under and The Sopranos.

This is gritty cutting edge crime/drama that will not disappoint anyone who decides to get onto the series.

Its just unfortunate it hasn't received as much hype and support on TV as other shows.
Good day prospective employer, I am both smarter than a hatful of periwinkles and prettier than two bags of smashed assholes. Fail to employ me at your own risk.
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
Just finished watching Season 4, this is one great TV show.

Chris the hitman has become one of my new favourite characters. I'm almost glad that Macnulty / all the survelliance stuff took a bit of a backseat in this season as well.

A few reviews have described it as "The best show that nobody watches".

Hmmm.. I think my picture a few posts up has changed.

Anyway, cannot recommend this series enough.

Pinozi +

Degenerate Speculator

Times thanked
< 22
I totally agree riichiee - it is such a good show

I've done a rewatch of the whole 4 seasons and its almost better the 2nd time around as you learn more about the characters and get an even more indepth look.
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah, think I'll definately be doing a full re-watch of the whole series a month or two down the track.

Get on to it peoples! The only thing that comes close to this show is Deadwood.

Apparently Season 5 is going to be the last season. Felt so sorry for so many of the characters at the end of season 4. That's one great thing about this show though, there is no sugar-coating at all.
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
I've watched seasons 1 & 2.

Brilliant. Outstanding. This is the most rewarding viewing experience from a TV series i've ever had.

The Amazon Editorial Review echoes my sentiments exactly:-
After one episode of The Wire you'll be hooked. After three, you'll be astonished by the precision of its storytelling. After viewing all 13 episodes of the HBO series' remarkable first season, you'll be cheering a bona-fide American masterpiece. Series creator David Simon was a veteran crime reporter from The Baltimore Sun who cowrote the book that inspired TV's Homicide, and cowriter Ed Burns was a Baltimore cop, lending impeccable street-cred to an inner-city Baltimore saga (and companion piece to The Corner) that Simon aptly describes as "a visual novel" and "a treatise on institutions and individuals" as opposed to a conventional good-vs.-evil police procedural. Owing a creative debt to the novels of Richard Price (especially Clockers), the series opens as maverick Detective Jimmy McNulty (Dominic West, in a star-making role) is tapping into a vast network of drugs and death around southwest Baltimore's deteriorating housing projects. With a mandate to get results ASAP, a haphazard team is assembled to join McNulty's increasingly complex investigation, built upon countless hours of electronic surveillance.
The show's split-perspective plotting is so richly layered, so breathtakingly authentic and based on finely drawn characters brought to life by a perfect ensemble cast, that it defies concise description. Simon, Burns, and their cowriters control every intricate aspect of the unfolding epic; directors are top-drawer (including Clark Johnson, helmer of The Shield's finest episodes), but they are servants to the story, resulting in a TV series like no other: unpredictable, complicated, and demanding the viewer's rapt attention, The Wire is "an angry show" (in Simon's words) that refuses to comfort with easy answers to deep-rooted societal problems. Moral gray zones proliferate in a universe where ruthless killers have a logical code, and where the cops are just as ambiguous as their targets. That ambiguity extends to the ending as well; season 1 leaves several issues unresolved, leaving you begging for the even more impressive developments that await in season 2
Good day prospective employer, I am both smarter than a hatful of periwinkles and prettier than two bags of smashed assholes. Fail to employ me at your own risk.
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
Hahaha, funny this thread was just bumped, I was thinking of re-watching Series 1 again tonight.

I though the end of Series one (when the Stringer Bell & co start "cleaning up shop") was fantastic.

Cannot recommend this show enough.
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
Favorite scene in Season 1 is when McNulty and Bunk re-investigate the shooting murder of Avon's mistress at her apartment.
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
Hahahahahaha, that's an absolute classic scene.

It's up there with a scene in Deadwood where Mr Wu is trying to explain to Swearingon who stole his opium.

Think my favourite scene is from Season 3, so I won't give too much away. It involves McNaulty, waaaay too much alcohol, a car and a waitress from an all-night diner.
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
I'm still wondering why this isn't more popular. Torrent the 1st season people!

More popular shows have been axed from HBO, but they've kept this series because it is simply the very best episodic drama ever. The character driven plot is deep and involving and punishes those that don't watch from the start. I guess thats one of the reasons for its lack of a larger fanbase.
Abziie +

Times thanked
< 59
it used to be on over here late at night (ch9) back in the day, very good.
Pinozi +

Degenerate Speculator

Times thanked
< 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambuca

Favorite scene in Season 1 is when McNulty and Bunk re-investigate the shooting murder of Avon's mistress at her apartment.

F*** MutherF***er F*** me F*** MutherF***er F*** me

My favourite scenes involve Omar in Season 3 - wait till you see what happens when he goes out in the morning to buy some cereal - and his back and forth with Brother Muzone is brilliant
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
man i am eagerly awaiting season 5.

the final episode of season 4 was so kick ass!
meh..
dix_ +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambuca

I'm still wondering why this isn't more popular. Torrent the 1st season people!

Good advice there.

Just started on season 1 and hooked already, loving the fact theres another 3 seasons ahead
tumbling here
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
I will keep bumping this thread until there's more acclaim. Bring the love people.
dix_ +

Times thanked
< 0
Have watched series 1, 2 and 3 now. Such a class programme. Love how the themes shift so much but many of charchters keep reappearing.

Definite thumbs up but watch out for some late nights near the end of the series, always finish the last one about 4am
tumbling here
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
Why the emmys yet again snubbed The Wire

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2004...046803,00.html

Variety Review:
http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryId=32&cs=1

National Review:
http://www.nationalreview.com/dunphy...0410220845.asp

Every review out there gives it critical acclaim. This is an outstanding series people.
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
Tim Goodman's review from the San Fran Chronicle. "Best Show on TV"

The Wire: Drama. 10 p.m. Sundays, HBO. Over the course of its first three seasons, "The Wire" on HBO has been one of the great achievements in television artistry, a novelistic approach to storytelling in a medium that rewards quick, decisive and clear storytelling. It has never flinched from ambition -- dissecting a troubled American city, Baltimore, as well as and certainly more truly than any history book could have. It has tackled the drug war in this country as it simultaneously explores race, poverty and "the death of the American working class," the failure of political systems to help the people they serve and the tyranny of lost hope. Few series in the history of television have explored the plight of inner-city African Americans and none -- not one -- has done it as well.
On the off chance that you need to be reminded, this is not "Desperate Housewives."
And yet, the curse of "The Wire" and the thing that makes its creator, David Simon, nearly apoplectic, is the notion that "The Wire" is difficult and dense and hard to follow if you haven't been there from the start. Simon, perhaps the best writer in all of television -- a label one should not toss around lightly -- has a point when he jokingly suggests that critics who love the series should temper the part about it being difficult to jump into. That scares away viewers. It makes people believe he's forcing them to eat their vegetables on a cable channel that offers brilliance in other packages, some of them a whole lot easier to swallow -- like "Entourage," for example.
And yet here are the hard truths about "The Wire," not all of them the kind of accolades that might sit well with a producer hoping for a big turnout come Sunday. First, it is, in fact, a difficult series. Viewers would benefit greatly from having seen the first three seasons, currently available on DVD or waiting like little orphans at Netflix. (That said, you can slide into Season 4 on Sunday with less effort than it took to hook yourself on Season 3, in part because "The Wire" is essentially starting from scratch, and new viewers could check out the immensely helpful HBO Web site to familiarize themselves with the characters, and also come to Jesus on the issue of great art taking a little more effort than, say, watching a sudsy hospital drama.)
Second, the argument over whether "The Wire" is the best show on television needs only two other participants -- also from HBO -- in the form of "The Sopranos" and "Deadwood." Rather than split hairs, let's just say that the breadth and ambition of "The Wire" are unrivaled and that taken cumulatively over the course of a season -- any season -- it's an astonishing display of writing, acting and storytelling that must be considered alongside the best literature and filmmaking in the modern era.
If you're not interested in "The Wire" after that, Godspeed to your unexamined life. That said, expecting the series to be simple, easy or unchallenging is a ridiculous notion. And we speak of it no more.
[SPOILER]After the death of drug dealer and entrepreneur Stringer Bell and the incarceration of his partner and empire-ruling (and ruining) leader Avon Barksdale in Season 3, "The Wire" returns yet again to dilapidated Baltimore to explore what remains. [END SPOILER]And much of it does. The wiretapping of young gang leader Marlo (Jamie Hector) is up and running, producing encouraging results for Major Crimes detectives Freamon (Clarke Peters) and Greggs (Sonja Sohn). McNulty (Dominic West) seems happy walking a beat as a street cop, and the mayoral race between incumbent Mayor Royce (Glynn Turman) and the white challenger, Councilman Tommy Carcetti (Aidan Gillen), is heating up. The big hook this year is that former officer Roland "Prez" Pryzbylewski -- who accidentally killed a cop in Season 3 -- is now teaching in one of Baltimore's tougher grade schools.
The whole gist of Season 4, in fact, revolves around education. And not just in the wildly dysfunctional, borderline hopeless Baltimore public schools system, but as has been the way of "The Wire" -- a series that has managed to contrast the mundane failures of office work (police) with the mundane failures of being a drug dealer running a syndicate -- the show will explore all facets of education, from what volunteer boxing instructor Cutty (Chad L. Coleman) brings to young kids trying to stay off the street to what kids on the corner are learning about the drug trade from older dealers to what "Bunny" Colvin (Robert Wisdom), the repudiated major in the police department (who tried to set up a legalized drug experiment), can do to help a Maryland university study at-risk kids.
It is a bold, sweeping and dense look at what education means on all levels in a faltering urban structure. Not the kind of fare you're going to get on NBC at 9 p.m. Not easy to decipher, not easy to access. Rewarding? That's a wholly separate issue.
The beauty of Season 4 is in how Simon and his team of writers deftly and slowly reintroduce past major characters into their new roles. In a way, Simon has decentralized the cast structure that nominally had West as the lead and Bell (Idris Elba) and Barksdale (Wood Harris) as co-leads. Now the enormous cast serves as one lead (how they act when they bump into each other -- wonderful plot elements at every turn -- should delight longtime fans without overly confusing new viewers, which is a structural marvel all to itself).
Yes, McNulty is back. Bunk is back. Pretty much everybody is back. Hell, even Wee-Bey is back. Best of all -- "Omar back."
And yet, what was true of "The Wire" the past three seasons is true here. It starts slowly. It continues to move slowly, with intricate strands of story revealing themselves at a leisurely pace, like a good, well-crafted book. No, check that -- like a great novel. As in seasons past, it's not until the third episode, where directions announce themselves, that the myriad stories pile up with irresistible pull and depth. By the fourth and fifth episode, once again you're caught in a bracingly complex, enriching tale you don't want to end.
"The Wire" is an inherently sad story. Though Simon and his writers infuse it with street-smart humor and even a droning, Dilbert-like quality that strips workplaces and government institutions to their flawed core, the heart of "The Wire" is a dark one, as always. The tale that Simon has told for three seasons can best be summed up this way: "It doesn't work."
The war on drugs is flawed not only from a police procedural standpoint but also because the department is beholden to the mayor and the mayor to special interests. Even the most cleverly constructed, forward-thinking drug gangs are flawed because the greed, hopelessness, laziness and fearlessness of others always intervenes. Politics fails because so much of Baltimore is in the death grip of immediate need, of decadeslong failure that demands reparation. And now we see how the education system doesn't work, from a strapped school district that advocates "social promotion" so that teachers don't have to deal with bigger, stronger troublemakers, to the cruelty of poverty and how it strips away chance and, ultimately, to the much more damning, complicated notion of historical nonparticipation of poor families in the very idea of necessary education for betterment.
An after-school special this ain't.
There is a crushing sense of failure at all turns in "The Wire," but that has never, in three seasons, been as disheartening as it might sound. That's because Simon has ratcheted down the age range of where hope meets reality. And at that intersection, we meet a whole new batch of kids on "The Wire." Emphasis on kids. Simon catches them at a crossroads, their innocence still intact despite it all. Their vulnerability exposed. Season 4 follows the lives of a band of grade-school kids who will find out sooner than they should that their world begins and ends at the corner. It's not Simon who should worry that people won't watch his show because it's difficult. It's viewers who should worry that they are missing the absolute best of what television has to offer merely because it requires effort.
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
January 6.

Media Player
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
fuck yeah more wire!!!!
meh..
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
4 more days
meh..
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
nearly time for more wire

get excited ****s
meh..
SpaceAgePimp +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
< 8
Def looking forward to the concluding season. Took me a long time to get on board for this show, when I finally did I managed to watch all 4 seasons within a span of a couple of weeks. With the non-ratings period in full swing in the U.S, and none of my other perennial faves being aired, it will be quite refreshing to see how all of the plotlines wind up. Go fuzzy head!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weinertron

honestly SAP, I hope a gypo eats you one day

riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
Oh shit, it's tommorrow!!! (which means Monday on torrents)...
dix_ +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by riichiee

Oh shit, it's tommorrow!!! (which means Monday on torrents)...

If ye search ye may find... ep 2 aswell
tumbling here
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by dix_

If ye search ye may find... ep 2 aswell

I wonder if these season 5 files im seeing are real.... is it possible all the episodes have been leaked ? Only one way to find out i guess.
meh..

Last edited by crowy: 06-Jan-08 at 04:21pm

crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
episode 1 was superb!

Spoiler:
The scene with all the cops at the bar talking about holding up a liquer store was classic. Intresting to see the new sub plot is the news paper reporters. I can see that getting intresting and pissing lots of people off real fast.

off to watch episode 2
meh..
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
Link for ep 2 torrent?

Nice to see Bunk and homicide up to their old tricks.

Not nice to see Mcnulty back to his old ways. Although, i guess when he's sober he's boring. I did like Beadie though =(

No signs of Omar either.......maybe another conveinience store in his pj's type scene for this season too.

This season is going to be terrific. I predict another major gang war. See the new day co-op scene? Cheez looks just a bit too comfortable with the way Marlo spoke to Prop Joe.

Interesting times ahead......

Best TV show ever. EVER.
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
pm sent.
meh..
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
omg! i have currently watched eps 1,2,3,5,6,7. Did not watch in order as i was having trouble finding 3 & 4. Still havent seen 4 actually. Anyway i cant get enough of this show!
Classic Mcnulty and Bunk moments, lovin where the whole thing with Omar is going and cant wait to see how everything works out for all the characters as there is a fair few of them now.

There is a few things to watch on the site that are worth a viewing.
http://www.hbo.com/thewire/chronicles/
meh..
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,752
there are torrents and RS links for season 2 out there ... but don't do it. The quality is shite compared to the other seasons.

I bought the entire season 2 box set today from ezydvd for $56. Bargain.
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
I think i might re-watch all the seasons (1 - 4). Episode 8 of season 5 is not gonna be out for ages unless there are some more leaks.
meh..
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
I've seen episode 4...

omg........

Just......machiavellian.
Sambuca +

Times thanked
< 73
oh, can someone (crowy) send me the link for ep5? I can't find it anywhere...
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
that episode seems to have vanished from pirate bay

il ask around and see if any other sites have it
meh..
Downlow +

Smokes, let's go..

Times thanked
< 114
Just watched season 4. Even pulled a sickie on monday to finish it.. Man i can't wait to see all of 5 to see how Marlow goes down.
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
i dont like marlow... specialy after ep 4 of season 5.

still cant find 5 for ya anywhere sambuca
meh..
dix_ +

Times thanked
< 0
Ep5 is def still about... the wait for 8 is gonna be a killer.

Love how the newspaper storyine has brought back all the other themes.
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
OH SHIT!

s05e04!! !

Spoiler:
Marlo kills Prop Joe! Well Chris does anyway..

I've gotta say, I've always liked the way that Chris kills people. Never really let's them suffer (except for Bugs dad) and he's always pretty nice to them, trying to get them to relax.
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
when does ep 9 air?
meh..
riichiee +

Times thanked
< 0
F*ck! Just saw episode 8.

Spoiler:
Kennard! Omar!

I knew that he was going to die sooner or later, but there's no way I saw that coming..

Only 2.5 episodes left ever
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,752
ok, I have the last episode (10) of season 5, the last ever ...

Damn. Now what I am going to watch?

RIP to the best TV series ever.

Downlow +

Smokes, let's go..

Times thanked
< 114
Yeah i'm seriously bummed about the end of this. Not the best show ever (The Shield and Deadwood just pip it out for mine) but fuck it was just SO quality. Fuckin Jimmy McNaulty..

Omar is still the best badguy of all time.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,752
yeah, Omar was seriously cool. Just the mention of his name or seeing the guy would have seasoned gangsters flying into a blind panic.

I think that The Wire just beats Deadwood because of season 4 -> where they went down to the root of the problem : the corner boys, the pride, the juking of numbers, the politics, the fact that the streets wouldn't let people go, the casual violence, characters like bubbles (always a junkie, trying to survive), Bodie (looking for a way out, will never find it), Carcetti, Presbo etc. Probably the best character development I've seen anywhere.

dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
< 1,752
I just had a look at the Wiki for the Wire :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wire_%28TV_series%29

Quote:

The Wire has received critical acclaim for its realistic portrayal of urban life and uncommonly deep exploration of sociological themes, and has been named the best show on television by TIME,[2][3] Entertainment Weekly,[4] The Guardian,[5] the Chicago Tribune,[6] Slate,[7] the San Francisco Chronicle[8] and the Philadelphia Daily News.

crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
< 23
ep 10 of season 5 was a great finish to a brilliant series. so many stories and strong characters all coming together for the end of season montage. some happy endings and some unhappy.

all in all one of the best tv series i have ever seen.

meh..
Page 1 of 10

« Previous Thread Next Thread »