Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

What internets should I get?

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
MadMike +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,467 Times in 1,305 Posts
Search for plans that suit your needs - http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=search

Opinion on what is good/bad - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

FAQ on Choosing a broadbrand provider - http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=Ch...Provider%20FAQ

Australian Bureau of Statistics - Internet Activity - June 2014
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/8153.0/
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|

Last edited by MadMike: 23-Oct-14 at 08:57am

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
After seven years of sitting here locked in beta, I think we'll open this thread for general discussion of home & mobile internet connections. Because sometimes it's nice to supplement your research with advice from Good Pals.

Please use this thread for:
  • Seeking advice on internet plans, after you've looked at Broadband Choice. We do advice; not homework.
  • Posting your jerk speedtest results

Please don't use the thread for general tech help or industry news. Suggested threads for these topics:

Last edited by Gruso: 01-Dec-14 at 02:51pm

ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
<
Slightly off topic:
Does anyone know who's providing the biggest mobile phone data plan for under $100 a month? I'm currently paying Telstra $80 for 2.5gig but Otus has 8gig plans for $100 and i'd get a free new phone.

I guess the other question is are the non-telstra/optus as bad as i think they are? I travel around regional victroia for work so reception is vital
fffffffff
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,843 Times in 721 Posts
Are the locations you're visiting in regional Victoria often the same?

http://cellsite.nudge.id.au/

^check proximity to the towers at the addresses you frequent most on the above map, go with provider that has highest ratio of close towers to places you often visit.

hint: 90% chance it'll be Telstra

The other helpful thing would be to get a 3G modem with an external antenna connector and get a high gain antenna - just for emergencies where the inbuilt antenna is struggling.
Bye now!
ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
<
Nah the places i visit aren't the same. I've been told optus are pretty good these days. I can handle a few more reception deadzones if it means i get 5 gig extra data.
fffffffff
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Is there a definitive Broadband Choice type site for mobile plans? Found these, but haven't looked in depth:

http://youcompare.com.au/mobilephones

http://www.plancrunch.com.au

http://www.phonechoice.com.au/
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChemicalJames View Post

Nah the places i visit aren't the same. I've been told optus are pretty good these days. I can handle a few more reception deadzones if it means i get 5 gig extra data.

Optus are fine, mostly. I worked all over Victoria the past two years and I only had a couple of black spots in some really remote, rural areas outside of Bendigo. Usually had H connection everywhere I went.

Funny story though, when I moved to Brisbane I had no reception at my house. Turns out I'm in a known Optus black spot. So they sent me a digital receiver/booster that plugs into the network. I think they've since fixed the black spot, but I'm still running the thing anyway.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,550 Times in 1,587 Posts
Anyone here with SkyMesh for NBN?

Just signed up with them after doing some whingepool research.

2TB 100/40 for $79 a month. No lock in contract and an Australian call Centre.
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,819 Posts
Damn that's pretty good.

I'm with Internode, 300GB 50/20 $85 per month. The beautiful thing about FTTP is you actually get those speeds.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,038 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABitPatchy View Post

HNNNG! That sounds very, very satisfying.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,660 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABitPatchy View Post

i'm trying to work out why on earth they wouldn't list their plans & prices on their website. Only for the ISTAR satellite shit

good thing whingepool has it all http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/isp-75...-nbn-fibre.htm

they sound very tpg-ish oversubscription model but being fibre connected nbn would it really matter?
ABitPatchy +

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,550 Times in 1,587 Posts
They match any other provider deals as well. Showed them the DODO plans and that's what they came back with.

Congestion wise they are getting great reviews so who knows. If they're shit I can drop them after a month anyway.

I may never leave the house again.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
It matters more. You get your advertised circuit to the NBN/carrier POI. Beyond that you are at the mercy of your providers upstream bandwidth and traffic management.
Gruso +

Times thanked
<

Glad to be up and running (well, glad for the old man to be up and running). But never use Spintel.

It was connected Monday last week, but we couldn't get the net working. Three days later they sent a text saying the phone was cut over. The phone was still dead on both copper & fibre, but the ADSL was still operating, so we decided to leave it for the weekend and see what happened. Come Monday (yesterday), phone still dead and ADSL down too.

Calls to after hours support were met with the old favourite "high volume of calls", followed by "call back later". Every night. So the old man finally got on the blower today, and after a full hour on hold was told that he merely needed the correct PPPoE login details, which the tech gave to him. This somewhat critical information was never communicated - no emails, no texts, no letters. No help on their site, no WP rep present in the past 3 months.

With the internet sorted, they turned to the phone issue. For some reason Spin has you connecting your phone to their provided D-Link modem, instead of the NTD as all the advice seems to suggest. And even after the guy attempted to configure it through Teamviewer, it's still dead.

A+

[edit] So it's not uncommon to use the modem's VOIP port instead of the NTD's Uni-V. Anyway, service not registering, will let the old man battle it out with them in his ample free time.

Last edited by Gruso: 10-Feb-15 at 06:53pm

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Spintel NBN, 9pm vs 1am.

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
lole we don't oversubscribe, honest john.
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Fuck me, is this real life?

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
shoulda internode.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Resposting from chat thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Spintel verdict:

Quote:

1. Internet speed issue is caused by congestion in our wholesaler's network (Optus) with an estimated time of repair on April 2016.
2. You opted to leave SpinTel without any termination Fee or 30 days notice.

April 2016. Those poor, clueless souls who will be dealing with this until then. Despite the free pass I'm tempted to contact the TIO anyway. What a shit operation.

So I started shopping around again last night, which mostly involved a few hours reading Whirlpool. It seems like this issue isn't limited to shitcan providers like Spintel. Massive bandwidth demands (Netflix) and high CVC costs mean that almost all providers are susceptible to the problem. Especially the resellers, and that's most of them.

Remember the dozens of small time mobile phone providers running on resold, choked up Optus bandwidth? They're back, in NBN form.

I'm trying to scrape together a list of providers that buy direct from NBNco. It's looking to be a pretty short list that includes Telstra and Skymesh among others. The latter seems to be universally praised (so much so that I started to wonder if it was a military grade astroturfing operation). I'm thinking they're worth a shot though, and there's no lock-in.

Here's a really interesting blog post from back in July, explaining how the current CVC model isn't sustainable. It's short and digestible so I won't tl;dr it:

http://blog.jxeeno.com/cvc-remains-t...threat-to-nbn/
Rocca +

Query: Do you feel lucky, meatbag?

Times thanked
<
Fresh new trance mix, embrace the madness!

https://soundcloud.com/philby/philli...ness-july-2015

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Learnings. There are hardly any providers who use their own backhaul. These ones do, and for me at least, this makes it the shortlist for ISP shopping:
  • Aussie Broadband
  • iiNET/Internode
  • Optus
  • SkyMesh
  • Telstra
  • TPG

Some others have their own backhaul from limited POIs, but resell in other areas. These include:
  • Harbour ISP
  • Activ8me

The other three squillion popup providers are Crazy Johns and should probably be avoided. Disclaimers: List is based on WP advice and may not be complete or accurate. Also, going with a provider that has their own infrastructure is no guarantee that there won't be congestion issues.

Anyway, the old man is going to give Skymesh a crack.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
ie, should've gone with internode.
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Even the hallowed 'node is susceptible to congestion: http://advisories.internode.on.net/

At least they communicate though.
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
<
Since TPG are now our iiNet/Internode overloards what's the current state of play on here? I'm looking at jumping to TPG since that's where I'm likely to end up there anyway, and their unlimited Naked ADSL2+ plan is $10 less than what I'm paying for 600GB a month with iiNet. Transparent proxies are supposedly no longer an issue, and the estimates on their coverage map are pretty comparable to my iiNet speeds. No cable and NBN isn't even planned in my area, so I've got a whopping choice of ADSL2+ and ADSL2+ for internet.

Quote:

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
iiNet is still an independent operation* so don't expect to get the same level of service if you jump to TPG. If iiNet is working fine for you (no issues with peak time congestion etc) I would suggest staying put, because you don't know what you're going to get if you jump ship.

Also weigh up TPG's "unlimited" vs iiNet's quota free content. I get by on a 150GB Internode plan, because things like Netflix and Steam are unmetered.

See if you can find people in your area on WP. They might have advice on which ISPs are better on your exchange.

*mostly
*for now
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

iiNet is still an independent operation* so don't expect to get the same level of service if you jump to TPG. If iiNet is working fine for you (no issues with peak time congestion etc) I would suggest staying put, because you don't know what you're going to get if you jump ship.

The takeover's well and truly underway and strings are well and truly being pulled. iiNet's replacement CEO for Michael Malone was let go about a week ago, so was Internode's key PR guy (two key guys responsible for their customer service reputation) and there's already talks of major board restructures. iiNet service levels have reportedly dropped as well.

And I am suffering issues with peak time congestion (since around the time Netflix launched).

Quote:

Also weigh up TPG's "unlimited" vs iiNet's quota free content. I get by on a 150GB Internode plan, because things like Netflix and Steam are unmetered.

Way ahead of you, I used to buy a lot of music from the iTunes Music Store which is unmetered on iiNet. Now that I stream it instead from Apple Music, it's now metered (as well as moving a few other things to cloud storage). I've already had to bump my plan up as a result (which is how this started)

Quote:

See if you can find people in your area on WP. They might have advice on which ISPs are better on your exchange.

Ugh, I hate that place.

Quote:

*mostly
*for now

I think it'll happen sooner than you think.

I will likely stay put for the time being. It's a lot of hassle to change and means recontracting. Also, when it came to Telstra wholesale, iiNet were down the bottom of the pile, but they knew it and they did try to make up for it in other ways.

Quote:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK

Last edited by plan-b: 08-Sep-15 at 08:12pm

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Yeah, the whole country is being screwed by Netflix demand at the moment. Even NBN - see my FTTP speed tests up the page.

Anyway you're clearly well informed on the TPG debacle so I'm not sure what advice you need. Personally I wouldn't touch TPG with a barge pole. But the results will vary by exchange and that's why you have to brave Whirlpool. There's a massive national userbase, so you're likely to find feedback from someone in your area. That's the most reliable indicator you'll get.
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
As long as “that news thing” stays active I'm happy.

Edit: News is best lefts unsaid…

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

Last edited by Mickstah: 08-Sep-15 at 08:38pm

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Love me some news.
plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Personally I wouldn't touch TPG with a barge pole.

Pretty much this. It's a sad state of affairs for us DSL plebs

Quote:

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
So. Skymesh. The old man put the application in this morning. By this evening he had instructions to plug into the Uni-D 2 port, and that was that.

Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
But how are the speeeds?!

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

plan-b +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b View Post

will likely stay put for the time being. It's a lot of hassle to change and means recontracting. Also, when it came to Telstra wholesale, iiNet were down the bottom of the pile, but they knew it and they did try to make up for it in other ways.

Sorted, all iiNet Naked DSL plans are now 1TB no peak/off peak. Support lady bumped me down to their lowest plan which is the same price as TPG's unlimited plan (no included VoIP calls, which I never use anyway) and waived the $30 downgrade fee. Happy daze

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
iinet plans are sounding a lot like TPG ads. Read them in that chick's voice

http://www.iinet.net.au/internet/broadband/naked-dsl/
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
And it has begun.
Bye now!
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
<
Ditched iiNet after 12 years on Saturday. Signed up for Bigpond cable with the speedboost. Looking forward to 100mbit!

Tough call to leave iiNet and move to Telstra but our sync speeds on ADSL are dismal in this new house and Telstra data inclusions / prices are competitive.

Will post speedtest results to see how close the real world speeds are to the theoretical max once we're connected.
Mickstah +

Times thanked
<
How much are you paying for that?
What upload speeds do they promise?

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Bigpong cable plans on 24 month contract:
(can do month to month but cost is higher/month)

25Mb down / 1 up

100GB $75/mo
500GB $95/mo
1TB $115/mo

Speed boost is an extra $20/mo for 100 down / 2 up
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Actually Nis, normal is 32mb down/1mb up, speedboost of course 100mb down/2mb up - but speed boost is more like 115mb down if not in a congested cable area.

Jize - Probs wise to hang onto your adsl until cable is actually connected, shit does sometimes go very wrong with cable installations - went through a whole stuck in captive portal buttfuck for weeks when I tried to get a new modem set up a while back, hopefully they've fixed that issue by now though.
Bye now!
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Are you arguing with their website? Coz it says 25/1.
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Back when I originally signed up at my previous place and at my current place it was sold as 32mb. Generally hit between 34-36mb.

That kinda sucks if they've downgraded.
Bye now!
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
iI will still sync @ 32 - they are attempting to sanitise the marketing material between adsl/cable/NBN. NBN doesn't offer 32meg circuits but does to 25. so the extra 7 megabits is the consumer surplus.

Quote:

Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
After a bit of reading, ~32mb was the max "boost" speed on docsis2 hardware, so yeah, they might have changed the speeds on docsis3 plans to align with the NBN.
Bye now!
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts
Why is Internet so expensive in this country?

Although my NBN deal isn't bad, 100Mbit/40Mbit 500gb/500gb peak/off peak for $100. I think it's $60 for 40/10 and 100/100.
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Well, mostly because they didn't have the smarts to roll out the NBN to profitable higher density areas early on, and instead focussed mostly on bumfuck nowhere regional areas.
Bye now!
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Rudi View Post

Well, mostly because they didn't have the smarts to roll out the NBN to profitable higher density areas early on, and instead focussed mostly on bumfuck nowhere regional areas.

Because they definitely use the same contractors for regional areas as inner urban ones...

Quote:

nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
<
Yeah we're leaving the ADSL connected until everything is sweet. Given I work from home full time and a lot of that is spent on social media / online I can't afford to have any internet downtime.

Dunno the final price as the other half went in store to negotiate but he's got a Telstra mobile and the housemate pays for the Foxtel separately so we've bundled it all under 1 account for a good discount compared to what everyone was paying individually.

Voluntarily signing up for a Telstra bundle. There's something I never thought I'd do in my life...
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

Because they definitely use the same contractors for regional areas as inner urban ones...

Did they not focus on regional areas and avoid metro when they first started the NBN? Because the rollout in Sydney metro has been very pissweak.

The whole socialist agenda subsidising regional bumfucks who made a lifestyle choice by living away from the greater population is pretty darn wasteful imo. These people should simply have sold their homes and moved closer to exchanges
Bye now!
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Rudi View Post

The whole socialist agenda subsidising regional bumfucks who made a lifestyle choice by living away from the greater population is pretty darn wasteful imo. These people should simply have sold their homes and moved closer to exchanges

How many farms can you fit next to your big city exchange?
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »