Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic

Page 1 of 3
  Tools
jeneaux +

Times thanked
<
Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
This game has recently been released for Xbox - not sure if it is available locally yet - but my question is, does anyone know if it will be released for other console platforms? I know it's coming for PC as well, but my PC is too slow to run it and make it an enjoyable playing experience - besides, single player RPG type games dont belong on PC! Its all about sitting infront of the TV on a comfy lounge.

I own a ps2 and a gamecube, so any KOTOR news on either platform is appreciated!

I'd play it on my roomate's Xbox, but that will be a last resort as i absolutely hate the Xbox, and refuse to use it. But if i must, to play KOTOR, i will
Hobbies: I enjoy laying naked on top of my neighbor's roof really early in the morning. I like to pretend like I'm swimming underwater in slow motion and shit. I lay up there as long as I can or until the police come.
peakin bunny +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
why do you hate the xbox?

or do you hate microsoft....
They call them the
ITCHYTRIGGERFINGER******S
The what
The
jeneaux +

Times thanked
<
Hehe, no I am not a Microsoft hater.

I just dislike the Xbox because ... I dont know, because its so American, if that makes sense. The controllers are huge (even the small Japanese ones are too big, although a massive improvement on the western controller), the console itself is huge + heavy, and (in my opinion) there arent any decent Xbox-exclusive games to warrant purchasing one. (apart from maybe KOTOR )

I just dont like it because its too different to the Japanese developed consoles; NES, SNES, Playstation etc. I was never a big fan of non-JPN made games (with a few exceptions; Grand Theft Auto being one of them). As i mentioned before, there doesnt seem to be much in the way of quality (my opinion of quality) Xbox-exclusive games.

I just think they are going about the whole console market the wrong way; bigger does not equal better!

But if KOTOR turns out to be Xbox only ... well, I might have to bite the bullet and use the Xbox

Also, I would rather have it on PS2 or Gamecube due to the fact that I don't own an Xbox, and I'd like to be able to play it whenever I want, not wait for my roomie to finish his game of Halo
Hobbies: I enjoy laying naked on top of my neighbor's roof really early in the morning. I like to pretend like I'm swimming underwater in slow motion and shit. I lay up there as long as I can or until the police come.
lordhuk +

These go to 11.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I just dislike the Xbox because ... I dont know, because its so American, if that makes sense. The controllers are huge (even the small Japanese ones are too big, although a massive improvement on the western controller), the console itself is huge + heavy, and (in my opinion) there arent any decent Xbox-exclusive games to warrant purchasing one. (apart from maybe KOTOR )

The S-Controller - the Japanese one - is as small as any other controller on the market. It's also probably the best controller on any console, full-stop. If you think it's big, you obviously haven't used it. You're about a year too late on the whole 'Xbox controller hate' thing.

And if you don't think there are any good exclusives then you simply have your head up your arse.

Quote:

I just dont like it because its too different to the Japanese developed consoles; NES, SNES, Playstation etc. I was never a big fan of non-JPN made games (with a few exceptions; Grand Theft Auto being one of them). As i mentioned before, there doesnt seem to be much in the way of quality (my opinion of quality) Xbox-exclusive games.

KOTOR is developed by Bioware who are Western developers. So you can start hating on it now.

Quote:

I just think they are going about the whole console market the wrong way; bigger does not equal better!

What?

Quote:

But if KOTOR turns out to be Xbox only ... well, I might have to bite the bullet and use the Xbox

It is. And so is its upcoming sequel. And another exclusive Bioware RPG is in the works (non-Star Wars). So bite that bullet.
peakin bunny +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
you must also now bring into play the the big compaines scce and microsoft are buying out devlopers and making there games exculsive only to there system... this is very annoying to the consumer but makes them big bucks....
They call them the
The what
The
MattD +

Art Is Resistance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally posted by peakin bunny
you must also now bring into play the the big compaines scce and microsoft are buying out devlopers and making there games exculsive only to there system... this is very annoying to the consumer but makes them big bucks....

im glad someone's keeping game companies afloat.

vivendi's game wing is for sale by the way, it can be yours for 800 million

Matt D
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,660 Posts

Quote:

Originally posted by MattD
it can be yours for 800 million

is that lira? pesos? yen? :p
jeneaux +

Times thanked
<
Gee, sounds like this little Xbox fanboy is a little bitter that someone has some mean things to say about his beloved Xbox! You shouldnt get so emotional over it man, its a console. I wasnt sitting here telling everyone how crap it is - i was asked, and i answered.

Quote:

Originally posted by lordhuk

The S-Controller - the Japanese one - is as small as any other controller on the market. It's also probably the best controller on any console, full-stop. If you think it's big, you obviously haven't used it. You're about a year too late on the whole 'Xbox controller hate' thing.

OK, small yes - comfortable? hardly. BTW, i have used it - used it enough to know that the gamecube and ps2 controllers shit all over it. Ever think why the PS2 controller is exactly the same as the PS1 controller? Yeah, cos they got it PERFECT the first time. As for being a year too late - well, ive been hating on the xbox controllers since they were released - its hardly a new gripe for me.

Quote:

And if you don't think there are any good exclusives then you simply have your head up your arse.

as i said in my post, IN MY OPINION. I dont care what your opinion is; as far as im concerned there arent. Name one decent xbox exclusive title other than KOTOR and Halo (I dont like Halo; but thats what everyone seems to use as their "No, the xbox really does have good games!" argument). Hell, even Halo isnt Xbox exclusive - there is a port coming to PC.

Quote:

KOTOR is developed by Bioware who are Western developers. So you can start hating on it now.

When did i ever say that i disliked western developed games? I said "never been a big fan", which implies i prefer japanese developed games. Can you understand that? Or would you like me to explain it with smaller words?

Quote:

It is. And so is its upcoming sequel. And another exclusive Bioware RPG is in the works (non-Star Wars). So bite that bullet.

Upcoming sequel? Another exclusive bioware RPG? Could you post some links to back those up, i wouldnt mind reading up a little more.
jeneaux +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally posted by peakin bunny

Yeah, I still havent decided if that is a good or a bad thing!

On one hand, it would be good as companies get money thrown at them to make great games that will entice consumers to purchase a specific console...

But on the other hand, very expensive to the gamer who wants to play a particular game but doesnt own the console to play it!
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,931 Posts
jeneaux is a great guy, and although he dosnt like the xbox, we still love him

"Push blue-red-red* and she does a mad tit-wobble move" = Jeneaux upon playing DOA3 just beore it was released

ps, you still got my xbox games man. And to answer your question, no, i dont know if its exclusive or not

*May not have been blue-red-red, but you get the picture

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

jeneaux +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally posted by Morphee
ps, you still got my xbox games man. And to answer your question, no, i dont know if its exclusive or not

oh shit yeah i do - ill bring them to next MPU
Lain Iwakuraa +

Times thanked
<
gamespot review of it here
"If you cant hear what im saying, it's cool cause I'm still saying it." - billy corgan
lordhuk +

These go to 11.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Gee, sounds like this little Xbox fanboy is a little bitter that someone has some mean things to say about his beloved Xbox! You shouldnt get so emotional over it man, its a console. I wasnt sitting here telling everyone how crap it is - i was asked, and i answered.

Your first post:

Quote:

i absolutely hate the Xbox, and refuse to use it.

And just for the record I own all 3 consoles.

Quote:

Originally posted by jeneaux
OK, small yes - comfortable? hardly. BTW, i have used it - used it enough to know that the gamecube and ps2 controllers shit all over it. Ever think why the PS2 controller is exactly the same as the PS1 controller? Yeah, cos they got it PERFECT the first time. As for being a year too late - well, ive been hating on the xbox controllers since they were released - its hardly a new gripe for me.

The Gamecube is made of cheap plastic and too unorthodox. The DS2's D-pad is just plain fucked and it's control sticks are nowhere near as accurate as the S-Controller. If you honestly believe keeping the SAME controller was because it achieved the pinnacle of design perfection, then I guess you thought it was great that Sony included only TWO controller ports.. again?

Quote:

as i said in my post, IN MY OPINION. I dont care what your opinion is; as far as im concerned there arent. Name one decent xbox exclusive title other than KOTOR and Halo (I dont like Halo; but thats what everyone seems to use as their "No, the xbox really does have good games!" argument). Hell, even Halo isnt Xbox exclusive - there is a port coming to PC.

I know it's your opinion but that doesn't change the fact you still have your head up your arse. I'm not going to sit here and list all the exclusive titles that I've been playing whilst you've been sitting there waiting for Halo on the PC. Go and read reviews and do a bit of research instead of making broad and ignorant generalistations. There are even a number of threads here in regards to this exact argument.

Quote:

Upcoming sequel? Another exclusive bioware RPG? Could you post some links to back those up, i wouldnt mind reading up a little more.

There's info on Gamespy and Gamespot as well as word at E3. Haven't got time to look it all up for you sorry.
jeneaux +

Times thanked
<
> I wasnt sitting here telling everyone how crap it is - i was asked, and i answered. / i absolutely hate the Xbox, and refuse to use it.

ok fair enough, i worded that wrong. what i meant was, i dont think the xbox is crap; its just not my kind of console.

> And just for the record I own all 3 consoles

thats good, at least you arent a blind xbox lover.

> The Gamecube is made of cheap plastic and too unorthodox. The DS2's D-pad is just plain fucked and it's control sticks are nowhere near as accurate as the S-Controller. If you honestly believe keeping the SAME controller was because it achieved the pinnacle of design perfection, then I guess you thought it was great that Sony included only TWO controller ports.. again?

I like the way the GC controller is laid out, it works well for me for games like Zelda and Mario Sunshine.

As for the PS2 controller vs Xbox controller; fair enough, but i still prefer the PS2 controller. put it down to personal preference; i find the PS2 analog sticks infinitely easier to control than the xbox analog sticks. Horses for courses

On the 2 controller ports - the fact that the ps2 is missing a 3rd and 4th controller port doesnt bother me, im more a fan of single player games anyway. To be honest, i dont know of any PS2 games that support 4 player action? (perhaps this is a result of the ps2 only having 2 ports)

> I know it's your opinion but that doesn't change the fact you still have your head up your arse. I'm not going to sit here and list all the exclusive titles that I've been playing whilst you've been sitting there waiting for Halo on the PC. Go and read reviews and do a bit of research instead of making broad and ignorant generalistations. There are even a number of threads here in regards to this exact argument.

I doubt you could say i have my head up my arse in terms of Xbox games - as mentioned before, my roomate has an xbox, and plentiful games (he has it chipped, and has an immense amount of games) - on several occasions I have sat down with it and gone thru the games he has, and none of them really stood out for me. Perhaps his game collections have been out of date; i really dont have much of an idea when it comes to xbox games/release dates/etc.
Grandmaster +

Valderrama

Times thanked
<
wasn't this thread about Star Wars KOTOR?
stop crying jeneaux, I'm sick of these arguments.

Star Wars KOTOR is the best RPG I've mever played! I usually only play sports games but I've finally found a game that's equally or more addictive tham Championship Manager..

Has anyone else played it yet? How many hours have u done? so far I've only clocked up 10 and a bit...
"We celebrate with a men's only party in my hotel room where we will play ping pong, wrestle totally nude and shoot dogs from the balcony."
Evan +

Times thanked
<
Its not out in Australia yet. Electronic Boutique guys tell me its due out August 29, xbox.com says september....
Iain +

Times thanked
<
It comes out today.
Friends are Electric : Lasergun <---
A fountain of blood In the shape of a girl ~ Björk <---
A Mad Tea-Party - Alice In Wonderland <---
Evan +

Times thanked
<
Got it on my lunch break. Just waiting to get home now. I sense a weekend of heavy geekdom coming up....
Grandmaster +

Valderrama

Times thanked
<
I've now played 22 hours and am up to Tatooine. Damn Sand people are bloody psycho ****s, where do they all fucking come from?
"We celebrate with a men's only party in my hotel room where we will play ping pong, wrestle totally nude and shoot dogs from the balcony."
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
The question is: Is it as firetrucking good as I have been led to believe?

The other question is: When's the PC release date? or was it today as well?
Iain +

Times thanked
<
got it last night....

i havent(before now) played any RPG's by the company that made it, apparently they follow a simial style of game mechanics?
anyways......
I played it most of last night, and got up early this morning to play it before work.
so yeah, for only the several hours i played im loving it so far.
was really good to play a different style of RPG (as apposed to the FF/squaresoft and survival horror styles i was used to from the ps1 and ps2).

gamespot has the PC release date listed at the 18/11/2003.
thats US release date so may vary for here though.
Evan +

Times thanked
<
What Iain said. At first I was a little underwhelmed by pale colours/ graphics, but I havent exactly been anywhere bright and cheery yet. Im having fun being an asshole to everyone and killing for money. Generally starting down the dark path.

The only real complaint so far is that a lot of the facial models for all the people I've met so far are rather similiar. I've talked to two or three people who I wouldnt be able to tell the difference between if not for the fact they have their names displayed.
Iain +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally posted by Evan
The only real complaint so far is that a lot of the facial models for all the people I've met so far are rather similiar. I've talked to two or three people who I wouldnt be able to tell the difference between if not for the fact they have their names displayed.

yeah, agree. :/
though that seems to be the only consistent complaint about it. ive seen.

how good is the morality choices!!
and probably the first star wars game ive played that actully feels like Star Wars and not just another game using the charracter, spaceship models etc.etc.
Evan +

Times thanked
<
Not a lot of morality so far. Just a lot of Onasi whinging whenever I blackmail or kill someone.
Iain +

Times thanked
<

I was stupid enough to give someone 200 credits to pay off a debt.
what the fuck was i thinking?! he just up and left, said thanks and that was it.
Evan +

Times thanked
<
If you need cash theres a Hutt around somewhere in Taris offering bounty contracts. Im trying save so I can get a nice'n'shiny suit of armour and some duel blasters so I can kill some suckaz john woo style.

One thing I think is missing from game play is some gore. Or at least the ability to sever limbs. I know puddles of blood isnt what you usually find in Star Wars, but a little would be nice. The first time I ran up to a guy with duel vibroblades, I expected heads to go flying. No suck luck.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
Just bought it... assignment procrastination ho!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,840 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:

haha thats the funniest thing i have ever read
lay off the crack, all forms of the xbox controller suck major ass. better off getting an adapter and using a ps2 or gamecube controller 8-)
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
I have big hands, personally I prefer the xbox controller over the PS2 one...

Quote:

Evan +

Times thanked
<
Alright, is it just me or does the double bladed lightsabre seriously suck? Everytime I try to use it against the Sith I seem to get my ass kicked...
Iain +

Times thanked
<
im not that far, but i using a single light sabre in each hand (dual katana stylee) and it kicks ass.
Evan +

Times thanked
<
Me too. I wonder if theres any benefit at all to having just one sabre.

If you want try out a double bladed one, just swap with Bastila. And swap crystals to get rid of that fucking ugly yellow blade...
PB Man +

Times thanked
<
I have decent sized hands and much prefer the big controller to either the S controller or the PS2 square piece of crap. It's the perfect size for almost everything, only complaint is that the irregular distance between the buttons took a bit of getting used to originally
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
from what I can see the double blade sabre does more dmg on crits & special attacks, but with 2 sabres you parry better.

Quote:

hostile +

Times thanked
<
ah yes, the old dual-wield or single weapon debate... In baldur's gate your characters got so damn powerful and there were so many sweet weapons that it was just a tragedy not to dual wield, say the +5 Crom Faeyr and +5 Flail of Ages 8-) and you were just a sissy if you used a shield. In KoToR however my Scout/Sentinel gets nice +12 attack bonuses for single weapon Duelling and I think these outweigh the extra attack, at lower bonus, that you get for dual wield. Bastila's pretty handy with her double ended number, but you only start out with a single light sabre so I figure my choice wasnt too bad. I guess in a replay on the dark side I might go for a combat hungry soldier/guardian and dual wield the whole way - can you hold a lightsabre and a vibroblade? Anyone found a spare lightsabre yet?

I must admit that the sentinel's yellow lightsabre does look sucky, gotta find me some crystals. Other than that, this game is the greatest star wars experience yet! My PC likes hangin with the chicks, dang that Twi'lek knows how to move her ass! :p
Orfeo +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally posted by big eddie
I have big hands, personally I prefer the xbox controller over the PS2 one...

agreed eddie, i think we can say that those ppl with small hands...ahem... would prefer the playstation controller i know what my money's at.

orfeo
Iain +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally posted by hostile
can you hold a lightsabre and a vibroblade? Anyone found a spare lightsabre yet?

Yes you can hold both,

spare light sabres (of all types) are found pretty quickly, get them by killing dark jedi, once you graduate/become a padawan.
Ive also found a small light sabre (same length as a microblade) that can be used in dual with a normal sized sabre.
Evan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

In KoToR however my Scout/Sentinel gets nice +12 attack bonuses for single weapon Duelling and I think these outweigh the extra attack, at lower bonus, that you get for dual wield. Bastila's pretty handy with her double ended number, but you only start out with a single light sabre so I figure my choice wasnt too bad. I guess in a replay on the dark side I might go for a combat hungry soldier/guardian and dual wield the whole way - can you hold a lightsabre and a vibroblade? Anyone found a spare lightsabre yet?

I must admit that the sentinel's yellow lightsabre does look sucky, gotta find me some crystals. Other than that, this game is the greatest star wars experience yet! My PC likes hangin with the chicks, dang that Twi'lek knows how to move her ass! :p

I started with a Soldier/ Guardian and started pumping feature points into 'melee' and 'duel weapons' asap so I could use pistols and vibroblades in both hands. By the time I became a jedi I was already a master with duel weapons, so it didnt really make sense to waste points on the duel feature.

Plus I was an evil **** right from the start. Im 30hrs into it and I think I've helped a total of 3 or 4 people who I havent attempted to extort, betray, or kill (sometimes all 3). Regreted it each time. Anyway, I had my second lightsabre before I'd even finished my Jedi Trials.

Once your main character gets access to lightsabres, theres little point in using a vibroblade or sword. I think the maximum amount of damage I've seen on a blade is about 13 points. With the right combination of crystals, or at least any of the crystals I've found so far, a lightsabre can do about 26 max damage, plus some bonus affects.
mxmai +

Times thanked
<
consoles suck.

dreamcast controller is the almighty.

-mxmai
hostile +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I started with a Soldier/ Guardian and started pumping feature points into 'melee' and 'duel weapons' asap so I could use pistols and vibroblades in both hands. By the time I became a jedi I was already a master with duel weapons, so it didnt really make sense to waste points on the duel feature.

So what sort of to hit bonuses do you rack up? Would be pretty good for a soldier no doubt... Does the extra attack make a massive difference or what?

I figured since Carth was a soldier and good a dual wielding I'd go something different, and you always know that the "right" way is the light way. That and in games like these the plot/dialogue options are strongly controlled by INT/WIS/CHA so I picked a character that wouldnt suffer too bad by not being a tank. You can always tank once you've clocked up a few Jedi abilities. The scoundrel just seemed sucky...

But next time, Soldier/Guardian evil bastard will be the go! Anyone ever play baldurs gate 2 as a Kensai/Mage? Soo very overpowered..
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
lightsabres block blaster bolts... the small lightsabre you get off the dark jedi you kill at anchorhead rawks for the offhand.

Quote:

Iain +

Times thanked
<
Did everyone kill Juani in the third part of the jedi trials?
hostile +

Times thanked
<
I didnt, infact she joins your party if you get her to repent. She's a Jedi Guardian, but I havent got her into any action as yet. You need to have a decent persuade ability, my first try didnt work.
Evan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

So what sort of to hit bonuses do you rack up? Would be pretty good for a soldier no doubt... Does the extra attack make a massive difference or what?

Each Lightsabre does about 22-26 damage max. with bonuses like (guestimates, cant remember exact numbers) +1-12 Damage vs Droids, +6 physical damage, +3 attack modifier and 25% chance of stun, +1-8 Damage vs Darkside, between the two of them.

Naturally assuming the extra sabre gives you an extra chance to hit, thats about 50+ possible damage per attack depending on what your're fighting. Plus with a 2nd level Flurry skill, most average enemies like Sith troopers go down in one attack.

Quote:

I didnt, infact she joins your party if you get her to repent. She's a Jedi Guardian, but I havent got her into any action as yet. You need to have a decent persuade ability, my first try didnt work.

I was wondering who the missing party member was...
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
how cool is the evil protocil droid...

Quote:

hostile +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I was wondering who the missing party member was...

that'll learn ya for bein evil!

dang, that damage you're shelling out definetely makes the dual sabres worthwhile!!! I have one slot of dual wield so all is not lost

such an enjoyable game. doesnt leave you wired after staying up far too late like splinter cell or vice city! I find I can happily lay back on the couch, and adventure away for hours thanks to the extra long controller leads.

i think the only benefit the Xbox controller has over the PS2 is that the buttons are easily identifiable to newbies. A,B red, green etc are a bit easier place than "X, or circle - no the top one, on the right hand side. Sure the original ones were large and cumbersome, but they're gone now. The PS2 controller does fucking rock though, so damn comfortable and versatile. As for the gamecube, well "my first controller" suits all ages but doesnt play well with others... there are no games on that system that could justify its purchase. Bring on halo 2!!!!
Evan +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

that'll learn ya for bein evil!

My large collection of heavy armour and spare credits says otherwise.

Been reading a couple of play guides and apparently I've been ignoring some penalties for duel fighting with an unbalanced weapon though. Wasted some feature points as well.

Quote:

how cool is the evil protocil droid...

Him rambling on about 'meatbags' was hilarious....

Last edited by Evan: 25-Sep-03 at 01:33pm

big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally posted by big eddie

how boring would that be?
Evan +

Times thanked
<
Finished it.

Some of the darkside morality choices towards the end were awesome.

Korriban was my favourite planet...
Page 1 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »