DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
Thanks...hope you hav fun now...
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
hey just out of curiosity what did you think of the ecler and why not it?
pfalzon +

Paulie Falzonie

Times thanked
<
Ecler is nice. It was definatley a tough decision between the two. Few months back I was convinced on buying the Nuo 5. Didn't even consider the Xone.
After waiting for my Q1 bonus to come through and doing some more homework I went the x92 because:

1. 4 EQ's - (would like to try and master this)
2. Faders were longer and smoother
3. More likely to see out in a club environment.
4. Individual meters on each channel
5. Sounds Fu(k1ng awesome!!! (Ecler sounds just as good though)
6. Better worldwide postsales/warranty support than Ecler (apparently)
7. Filters and damn fine and very adjustable.
8. Smaller dimensions than the Ecler (I have very limited space on my desk)

There were things on the Ecler I liked such as the Huge Eq's and EFX but honestly I can live without them. I don't use EFX that much and If I ever decide to, I can always get an external processor like KP3. At the end of the day both mixers are awesome and would be a good buy. But I think I got a good deal on the Xone and decided thats what would be best for me.

I appreciate all your feedback guys. Always good to have some reliable friends to assist.

PF
DSILVR +

Times thanked
<
^^ so when can i come over and use it?

Fuck brako, how do u mix off trebels? explain that please.
pfalzon +

Paulie Falzonie

Times thanked
<
HAHAH Long trip from VIC to NSW to play with a Xone

I think he is reffering to using High Hats etc. as a guide rather than Kickdrums.

Sorry Bracko correct me if I'm wrong....
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSILVR

Fuck brako, how do u mix off trebels? explain that please.

mix off the hats (snare crashes) not off the bass beat. you'll find you lower the volume of your cans a lot.
step on my cubes.
Dj Hempenhymer +

The Origin of Species

Times thanked
<
I cracked up the other day i was in a record store there was a xone92 on the counter with $4000 price tag and just below it said Australia RRP Wholesale price. pff yeah right....
pfalzon +

Paulie Falzonie

Times thanked
<
Yes that is BS I payed $2400 for mine. And that was including interest free 12 month finance
Dj Hempenhymer +

The Origin of Species

Times thanked
<
Finance nice one!

Im curious why you selected such a high end mixer for, i mean will it leave your bedroom ever? do you need that quality? ive seen some big events and big name djs using the same mixer so they must be pritty "up there" Im curious because im upgrading the DXM06 to something better and thinking if it doesnt leave the bedroom is something in the 2500-3500 reigon an overkill
WhiteMeat +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj Hempenhymer

Im curious because im upgrading the DXM06 to something better and thinking if it doesnt leave the bedroom is something in the 2500-3500 reigon an overkill

You have to look at what you want to do with your mixing in terms of how you mix and such and also look at what you *might* want to do in the future also along whether you are hoping to make money from it one day, and so on & so forth.

I picked up an Ecler Smac 20 about 2 months ago that I am already thinking of selling & buying a diff mixer, probably 4 ch, this is due to the fact that the smac 20 doesnt have an fx send / return on it - I have to run my kaoss pad (bought after mixer was bought & i was drunk at the time) on the main outputs of the mixer, which i'm not happy with and I want the ability to expand into other channels via cdj or extra turntable or whatever.

If you want overkill - have a look at some "home recording studios" that are out there - i'm not being critical (more like envious )

I've heard this time & time again over the course of my life & various hobbies but it still holds true to most things "Buy once, cry once"
Dj Hempenhymer +

The Origin of Species

Times thanked
<
ahaha yeah now you remind me, looking in that "post photo of your setup" thread some peoples home set ups.... crazy. So in otherwords if you feel you have a future in Djing/production may as well get something decent that will last
WhiteMeat +

Times thanked
<
Not only if you feel if you have a future in it, but if you are going to get into it, why not go all the way - if you get past the initial stage of having an ordinary mixer & turntables or cdj's & you are into it more or still at the same level of interest / whatever - why not limit the amount of upgrades by getting the best you can so you can spend more money on music over time than on replacing equipment?

Plus there is also the factor of wanting the best "toy", which, I will admit, I am guilty of also, looking at someone else get a 92 makes me want to bust out the credit card right now and cripple myself financially, but yea its not a bad thing hehe very self destructive when combined with wanting recording equipment though
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
if you buy shit it'll end up costing you more if you're serious.
step on my cubes.
Dj Hempenhymer +

The Origin of Species

Times thanked
<
im probably guilty of the wanting the best "toy" also, the xone 92 and the vestax CX have both sparked intrest in my wallet thus far....
WhiteMeat +

Times thanked
<
haha the wallet factor is always something to consider (especially if you like getting wasted )

but if you are willing & able - these guys seem to be running a special on the 92's atm (was just looking & thinking about it...)

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/

but yea, there is nothing wrong with holding out with entry level stuff until you can upgrade the whole shebang in one go or over a few pays so that it isn't too drawn out hell i did until 2 months ago, then i gave up smoking. I hate having a credit card...
pfalzon +

Paulie Falzonie

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ahaha yeah now you remind me, looking in that "post photo of your setup" thread some peoples home set ups.... crazy. So in otherwords if you feel you have a future in Djing/production may as well get something decent that will last

Yeah you could say that. I would not recommend spending $2400 on your first mixer.
Buy something basic and functional at first. When you feel you have outgrown it and have decided you want to keep mixing then go buy yourself a quality mixer.
Dj Hempenhymer +

The Origin of Species

Times thanked
<
Just thought id revive this thread not only because its great, but talks about higher end mixers.

Which comes to my question. How come there seems to be a big "hole" in the higher end market in mixers when it comes to comparisons and price, off the top of my head and im sure these are the more common "high end" mixers

Rane Empath Rotary
Xone 92
Ecler Nuo 5
Vestax PMC / PMC CX

All mixers are great, but the price difference are so varied. although im sure there characteristics are close and they all have things in common and sound great i just cant seem to understand how the price diffrence is almost up to $1000 between them.
Unless there is some other brands of mixers that compete in this that im missing out?

Chris
electroanarchy +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Just thought id revive this thread not only because its great, but talks about higher end mixers.

Which comes to my question. How come there seems to be a big "hole" in the higher end market in mixers when it comes to comparisons and price, off the top of my head and im sure these are the more common "high end" mixers

Rane Empath Rotary
Xone 92
Ecler Nuo 5
Vestax PMC / PMC CX

All mixers are great, but the price difference are so varied. although im sure there characteristics are close and they all have things in common and sound great i just cant seem to understand how the price diffrence is almost up to $1000 between them.
Unless there is some other brands of mixers that compete in this that im missing out?

Chris

My Empath Rotary arrives on the 23rd

Can't wait
strAta

My latest mix:

http://djstrata.beatsleuths.com/
cheekyage +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by truba

the cue on xone actually has two knobs, monitor is your normal cue and then there is one knob right above it which allows you to bring the track into the mix thru the headphones, if you know how to use it its pretty cool, plus you can also press any headphone button together and you get the same shit you get with pioneer. but the extra cue knob is awesome for mixing thru the phones.the only thing with xone is that its a pain in the arse when you run the efx 500 thru it, you actually have to run it thru a mic. channel, where with pioneer you press the button. but fuck the efx, the filters on xone have a squillion of possibilities

does the djm 800 give u the ability to cue and adjust the volume to then mix in your track thru the headphones?
Soul Devine live broadcast every other Thursday from 7-8PM SYD/10-11AM UK exclusively on SSRadio. | wegotsoul.com.au
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
Add the korg zero4 to that list when it comes out next month.
I wanna get one as it can double as a sound card / midi controller.
I love my xone62 to bits but want something new
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
:sexface:

check this out

Media Player

youtube of the forthcoming Ecler EVO5. Not the greatest demo but gives you an idea of what it will be like.

http://www.evobyecler.com/index.html

All right I want one already. Just the pretty lights alone.
Dj SteveWill +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyage

does the djm 800 give u the ability to cue and adjust the volume to then mix in your track thru the headphones?

Yes the DJM-800 does and so does the DJM-600.
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
can we not fucking play 'post the biggest photo of a mixer' contest please
step on my cubes.
Teknikall +

Times thanked
<
^^ lmao

fuckin hot looking mixer though

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

ekwipt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

can we not fucking play 'post the biggest photo of a mixer' contest please

HA! mines bigger than yours
plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfalzon

Picked up a 92 today. Love it already. Can't wait to be able to use it to its full ability.
OMFG the sound this thing produces!! The sound just fills the room so much better now!!
I can hear parts of tracks that I could not hear before. Very pleased.

good choice if you're not effects mad Xone would've been my pick as well... my next mixer will prolly be an 800 purely for price and the effects on 'em... Xone shits on it ten fold though...

Played with a Nuo5 last weekend... really nice mixer but couldn't figure out how to use the effects.... really love the oversized eq knobs though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
really plan b? i find the wet dry crossfade idea awesome. effects on the NUO5 are great.

Sorry all for the massive photo. Didnt realise it was going to be that big.
Nick Vidal +

house is a feeling

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Rane Empath Rotary
Xone 92
Ecler Nuo 5
Vestax PMC / PMC CX

Chris

one feature the vestax pmc cx has over hte xone 92 is that there are 3 filters (hi, low and notch/sweep) on each of the 3 channels, compared to two filters on each side of the crossfader (if that makes sense) on the xone 92

the matrix input assign where you can assign any input to any channel

there is a 3 band eq on the booth monitor, plus a 2 band eq on the headphones

all of the channel eqs have full cuts, and there is also a master isolator with full cuts.

There is also a master lo and mid antiphase switch

i also find the level meter on teh channels easier to read than the ones on the xones

and who can forget those big fat knobs

www.nickvidal.com www.shesydney.com
VIDAL CREATIVE www.vidalcreative.com
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
Ecler Evo 5 will be: 1,649.00 EUR=2,599.13 AUD
But with Aussie import duties i'd say it will be closer to $3000, which is on par with the Korg zero 8
Bekay +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
give me a pioneer 800 any day over any other dj mixer for ease & speed of use
Ben Kelly
I
www.myspace.com/benkellydj
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
What's so hard about moving some knobs and a cross fader?
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Ekwipt you are well and truly in the know. Whom do you work for?

Any update on the potential release date?
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
Channel 7

but I found the info on the ecler forums
Dj Hempenhymer +

The Origin of Species

Times thanked
<
Whats peoples opinions on the on board efx on the higher end mixers also, obviously you can add a KP3 to your Xone 92, Nu0 5, rane or what ever but is that just overkill, from what ive heard most mixers come with great inbuilt efx anyway...

or are there some that benefit from the addition of a KP3 more then others? if so what ones?
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
I would say any mixer that has onboard efx is no real advantage over plugging in the external efx modules other than saving room and clutter, UNLESS that mixer allows you to use both efx at the same time - now you're talkin

I use a KP3 + Xone92 and I can tell you the flitered-echo sweeps you can pull off with this combo are just bliss. The Xones only have filter and Lfo onboard efx as opposed to Denon & Pioneer which have the standard flanger, delay, trans blah blah blah.

The DJM800 is the only Pioneer which allows use of onboard and external efx at the same time, due to their inclusion of the "colour" efx - which are awesome. The Denon x1500 allows use of both as well, but for the other industry-standard mixers forget it, it's either onboard OR external

As far as the KP3 is concerned compared to other efx? It shits all over them. How's 128 onboard effects sound? Mind you, they're not all suited to DJing but it's such a massive number you can't help but brag lol
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST

Last edited by richcur: 19-Jul-07 at 08:42pm

McE86 +

Times thanked
<
i played with a 800 for the first time yesterday and must say it is lightyears ahead of my djm3000. As soon as possible i will be upgrading my mixer to one of the options listed here. But so far the 800 is winning due to the fun it creates mixing, and the fact the step up was an easy transition. The only issue i have is that i havn't used any of the other units just yet, working on that, and i have an efx1000. i was wondering is there anyneed to go the 800 for its nifty effects or would the xone's sound quality coupled with the efx1000 win out in the end?
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Xone sound qual coupled with the fx without doubt. Either that or you could look at ecler nu04 for the ability to set it up as a midi controller?
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
..Xone92 has midi control as well

saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Im thinking of a Xone 32. Theres a 62 for sale too, but not sure if I need that many channels. Do they both have the same sound quality?
www.myspace.com/saadhafiz

www.flickr.com/photos/saadme

"You're a Class A **** selling Class C drugs"
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
why is it that vestax mixers don't have cue mix?

am i the only one that puts the headphones to master when im doing my mix? maybe its just because the place i play doesnt have booth monitors but still you'd expect this and i like vestax mixers but will not buy one as they dont have cue mix.

Im currently playing at a place with a denon dnx 1500 it is good, the matrix system is prety cool, but the djm 800 rocks, i don't now why but my mixes were sounding better for some reason coming out of the 800
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
I'm also upgrading from my trusty old DXM06, I don't really want to spend more than a grand though.

Currently looking at these....

Behringer DDM4000 - awesome specs, no retail units released yet so no assurance of good build quality though:

http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=1490

Audio Innovate AEM100i - great specs, slightly more exotic than your average bedroom mixer but no MIDI.

http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=1319

Korg KM-402 Kaoss Pad Mixer - great onboard FX but not much else going for it?

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...duct_id=303799

DJM-400 - is this a DJM-800 for poor people with only two sources, or is there too much missing to compare it to its club-ready brothers?

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...duct_id=206731

I'm nearly 100% certain I want MIDI in my next mixer, even a simple BPM-clock out to my laptop would go a long way in tying Ableton into my mixing setup.

Last edited by DJ Fusion: 23-Jul-07 at 01:17pm

DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
Just spent the night watching DJM-800 demo videos - soooo hard to resist dropping 2k and getting the DJM-800, but its a lot of cash for a bedroom mixer, but then, if it lasts my whole life..... hmmm.....
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
well, that's why i mentioned the empath. for 2k you can get possibly get an empath and a KP3 (certainly a KP2+emapth)

there's a cool video of traktor and a KP2 going nuts, I'll see if i can dig it up from utube, but I've got no internets at home at the moment
step on my cubes.
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
Hmmm, you speak wise words Bracko-San. So would you rate an Empath + KP3 combo over a DJM-800 in terms of quality and functionality?
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
it depends waht you're looking for in a mixer? if you want a midi controller for ableton then the 800 is the way to go. if you want a great effects unit and a top of the line mixer the nuo/empath is the way to go....

2different solutions for 2 different applications.
step on my cubes.
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
and the Xone92 also is an option for midi control of ableton hahah choices choices

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
bah, the 92 is way behind in terms of midi control.
step on my cubes.
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
I'd agree with bracko the Pioneer is the best bang for buck mixer if you want midi control.

If you can wait for the new korgs I'd wait, then you get a soundcard as well in the deal
Page 2 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »