The DJ Booth

Trying to Decide on a New Mixer - need some user advice

Page 3 of 3
  Tools
Dj Hempenhymer +

The Origin of Species

Times thanked
<
just got a XONE 92, god damn the sound quality is second to none, and whoever said its a nightmare to learn on is full off ShizZ, i plugged mine in and was spinning back and fourth within 10 mins, the layout is piss easy you must haven't ever seen a mixer before if you cant work it out. mixes have improved dramatically over the past 2 days just because you can actually hear whats going on better, i love it.

The extra mid is fun also gives a few more options, ive found with vocals you can isolate them out using both mids or make them more defined quite well, it would depend on what key the song is in also im guessing

The metal switches are nice and rugged feeling and the faders are smooth. Most of the components move like they have purpose, no real plastic feeling about them.

another point for XONE 92!
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
anyone have any insider news on the korgs?
depending on the review, i want to sell my xone 62, efx 1000 and sound card when it comes and use the korg zero4 as a replacement.

maybe even sell my cdj 1000 and go fully digital.
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
anyone here have a xone mixer and an efx 1000?
how do u have it set up?
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
I used to have an efx500 so it connects the same way...

The EFX connects: "send" to the xone's "return 1", and the EFX "return" going to the xone's "mix 1 or 2"

This means you've gotta control the amount of signal sent to the EFX via the mixer's "Mix1 or 2" knob (depending on which one you connect it to), and the Mic1 channel fader on the far left of the mixer controls how much comes back in. But you've gotta have the "duck/on/off" switch set to "on"

Note: DONT connect a KaossPad in this manner, there's a whole other method for that
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST

Last edited by richcur: 02-Aug-07 at 08:39am

Brendonism +

Obama/Affleck 08

Times thanked
<
Question, is it pronounced:

a) Zone
b) X one
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Zone

jaymes138 +

Times thanked
<
I have also decided to upgrade my mixer in the next two weeks or so. Considering either a dn-x1500 + efx1000 or a korg pad or going for the djm800 (bit of an fx junkie). I love the feel of the djm800 and its usability, combining its beat and colour effects plus it has midi control. I have yet to play around on a dnx, but the layout looks a little confusing to me. Combining the onboard efx with an external unit is really appealing. In the end I donít know if I would use the midi control on the djm800, would I be better to get a midi keyboard with some pots on it?
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by richcur

I used to have an efx500 so it connects the same way...

The EFX connects: "send" to the xone's "return 1", and the EFX "return" going to the xone's "mix 1 or 2"

This means you've gotta control the amount of signal sent to the EFX via the mixer's "Mix1 or 2" knob (depending on which one you connect it to), and the Mic1 channel fader on the far left of the mixer controls how much comes back in. But you've gotta have the "duck/on/off" switch set to "on"

Note: DONT connect a KaossPad in this manner, there's a whole other method for that

ive got it set up like this, but if you have your channel fader up and your efx fader up, the channels phase and the bass cancels out. im i doing something incorrectly?
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
That usually happens when you've got the EFX "return" going to the mixer's "Aux1" instead of "Mix1" (or Mix2).

It's also peculiar only to the pioneer EFX units as the Kaosspad has a switch to be in either "send" or "direct" mode... it's almost like the Pioneer only has "direct" mode, which therefore causes the phasing problem on the Xone but not on Pioneer mixers

lavelle72 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by electroanarchy

My Empath Rotary arrives on the 23rd

How does the Empath Rotary compare??
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by lavelle72

How does the Empath Rotary compare??

i wouldn't buy the rotary due to the style i play but i am very interested in the empath for my new mixer as i used one at rudebwoyz recently and thought it was amazing.

does anyone have any imput on the empaths? anyone own one and still as happy with it now as the day they bought it?
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
djryley +

Times thanked
<
Anyone know a decent shop overseas where they stock all this stuff, or even a local that will import gear? I've tried decks.co.uk but they won't ship here, any suggestions?
BigJC +

BigJC For Prime Minister

Times thanked
<
I have the KORG KM-402

one hell of a mixer for the price tag. $750 i paid for mine. doesnt have all the features the DJM-800 has but has some that the 800 lacks which are cool.. if they could combine the 2 mixers then they would have mixer gold.. be awesome.
putraged +

Times thanked
<
guys, i'm a new kids in here, so i will appreciate any answer you'll give.

i'm wondering what mixer should i buy, since im heavily into making / producing some nice effects. i was playing keyboard in my band which is influenced by trentemoller & royksopp etc. i'm newbie btw, so my max budget for mixer is $600 (used is ok). my current choice will be pio DJM-400. what external effects should i buy. also, what digital mixer should i use? traktor pro or torq xponent?

thanks guys for any comments you put.
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
you should buy a behringer mixer as there the best quality and then get the behringer effect unit which is the best out there also!
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<
yeah trentemoller uses a behringer fxe-150. its the shit!
putraged +

Times thanked
<
ic..

behringer ddm400?
does it has better feature than djm-400? and vice versa?

i cant find any refference abt behringer fxe-150. where is it?

thanks dude.
aaronbishop +

Times thanked
<
allen and heath pwn all
putraged +

Times thanked
<
cmon.

$600 is the budget. xone 62 cost more than that.

sophisticated mixer for bedtime friends is not cool. lol.

thanks anyway.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy

you should buy a behringer mixer as there the best quality and then get the behringer effect unit which is the best out there also!

step on my cubes.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas

yeah trentemoller uses a behringer fxe-150. its the shit!

he used a Korg Kaoss pad 2 last time he was in sydney.
step on my cubes.
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by putraged

i cant find any refference abt behringer fxe-150. where is it?

It's because it doesn't exist. People will generally tell u to stay away from behringer, because they sound shit and have poor built quality.

Why do u want external effects? If you get traktor pro, that has heaps of effects built it. Then all you need is a midi controller.
putraged +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papanikolas

it's because it doesn't exist. people will generally tell u to stay away from behringer, because they sound shit and have poor built quality.

so what r u suggesting?

lol.. so should i stick looking for djm-400?
Papanikolas +

Times thanked
<
There's a thread on here about the Behringer DDM-4000. Apparently its not that bad. I think it has midi too, so you could map it to traktor.
putraged +

Times thanked
<
cool.

anyone, suggestion?

anyone sell cdj-400 too?

thanks
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^It's not like behringer and Pioneer are the only two brands on the market, and secondhand should be an option to look at as well. I've said it before and i'll say it again - Second hand Vestax - quality gear at stupid low prices most of the time.
truba +

Times thanked
<
^^^+1 man u can pick up a pmc 55 for peanuts these days, and that thing is the shit, the sound is awesome and u can plug 25475476532467532764567 things into it. i think it even has a filter
aaronbishop +

Times thanked
<
honestly a djm 400 is fine for the bedroom, imo a 2 channel mixer at home is all you need! as much as id like to upgrade buying an allen and heath or an 800, it would be a serious waste of coin
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<
^ fair true there.
jonnybiggs69 +

Times thanked
<
Yeah truba,
I've got a PMC-50, and for sure I never used it to its full potential. The most it ever had plugged in was a laptop, CD player and 2 decks. All the ins and outs for fx and whatever else - phew! But I was always happy with how solid it is and how the sliders etc feel, just noice
What was the peanuts you were referring to? Mine's been in its box for a year or two now...
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by truba

^^^+1 man u can pick up a pmc 55 for peanuts these days, and that thing is the shit, the sound is awesome and u can plug 25475476532467532764567 things into it. i think it even has a filter

i spent ages looking for one!
step on my cubes.
truba +

Times thanked
<
i seen one for 850 on ebay maybe a week and a bit ago
anyway http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...ctId=900197074
http://www.audiolines.com/product.php?productid=17098
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
preferred one in australia....

for such an old mixer, there could be complications due to the fact it has sat in a box for5-~10 years.

as was the case with my 37 Pro, although covered by warranty.
step on my cubes.
truba +

Times thanked
<
good luck finding one down here, hey man you should contact bbc, he might me able to get you one from japan for a good price. i was chatting to him the other day and they had vestax r2 second hand going for 1100 bucks in a good condition
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
yeah, that's why i got my 37pro... local or stfu.

I'm happy.
step on my cubes.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by truba

they had vestax r2 second hand going for 1100 bucks in a good condition

Woah! I didn't even think they'd been available for a year yet?

I'm pretty sure that the PMC-55 doesn't have a filter. They're pretty much the same as the PMC-50, and as said, I love mine (PMC-50). Only gripe is how close the EQ knobs are to one another... makes them a little 'slower'
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
r2 have been out for a while... 4-5 years?
step on my cubes.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
oh ok. the way they advertise them on the vestax site id've thought they were brand new.
truba +

Times thanked
<
yeah i'm pretty sure i 've read on few different places that 55 has a filter not sure bout 50 tho,dunno could be wrong, and i heard 55 many times, shits on xone lef right, center, i love that growl in the kick, xone dont have that, xone sounds punchy in the kick, and vestax has deeper bass. is there much difference between 50 and 55. and i know what u mean cramped, i have a pmc 46 and it is a little tight but that has never stopped me from abusing it, vestax higher end mixers to me are better than A&H mixers, they feel so much more solid, man when i tweak xone and get into it i end up picking fader and pot plastic caps from around my room, as soon as you hit them a bit hard the thing flies off, vestax is solid as and rotary knobs are actually bolted onto the actoal pot not just put there to fall off with any harder nudge.

Last edited by truba: 16-Nov-08 at 04:12pm

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
Nup... just got the PMC-55 manual for a read. Definetely no filter.

Differences as far as I can see are that the EQs only go up to +6dB, not +16dB, as on the PMC-50, and that the Balanced output for the master can be set between -20, -10 and 0dBU outputs.

Anyway... didn't mean for this to become a thread about Vestax mixers.
Just how many mixers do you have, truba?
truba +

Times thanked
<
3, one pmc 46, xone 92 and a bozak. anyway man its ok discussing vestax here, people discussed xone,korg,ecler now we can do vestax for a change, now tell me what are those transform buttons on each side of crossfader for and also wtf are those 2 little switches under the eq's on each channel not the fader select thingy but those 2 tiny little switches next to them on your pmc 50.

Last edited by truba: 16-Nov-08 at 05:29pm

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
There is a big sideways switch that turns on the Effects loop for that channel (rather than having an individual knob on each channel, there is the switch and it gets sent to the global effects loop at unity gain - at which point you have both input and output trim pots).

The two smaller switches are to switch on the 'mains' for the fader. You can tell the fader to go to Master1 or Master2, or both.
I imagine this is most useful if you are running a club with two sound systems... you can have two premixed CDs are whatnot running and send them to the two different zones. You also have separate Master Volumes for each of the zones.

The transform switches took me a while to work out, because I don't really use the crossfader (if someone wants to teach me how to scratch/use a crossfader, then I might ). What they do is add the other crossfader side's signal to the signal that's already in.

eg. I have channel 1 selected to Crossfader side A, and channel 4 to Crossfader side B. Both are up, but the Crossfader is set to B at the moment.
I can tap the transform button to bring in Crossfader side A momentarily, over the top. Pretty cool for bringing in little rythmic ideas/snippets or creating a glitchy sort of percussion effect.
truba +

Times thanked
<
thats sick, i use to use the reverse fader switches in combo with the fader for some crazy cuts on my pmc 46, vestax has some nifty features that sometimes takes time to figure out but once you do oh man, my 46 has a pot curve adjust for each channel, its cool as, and also only has bass and treble, no mid, the pots are buttery smooth. and my 46 has the same thing, you can run 2 rooms and a booth on top, the only thing i still cant figure out on it is how to run efx 500 with it.
jonnybiggs69 +

Times thanked
<
The FX should go either out the front side for just one channel or off that loop in out for master, neither the PMC50 or 55 have filters as far as I know, the EQs are sweet though i always found, plenty enough room for my chin-strokey prog style mixing. I have both the rotarys and sliders for mine & I found both solid and smooth as
probably get a warning now :-P - but if anyone wants my PMC-50 PM or email me...
truba +

Times thanked
<
its the pmc 46 i'm talking about here, i hook up everything right but for some reason it can only effect the source when i press the cue for each channel, it wont effect a channel fully, its like i can hear echo or i can hear the isolator being used its just wont kill at all and the effect wont be heard properly.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts
just putting it out there, anyone had any expierence buying a mixer from chemical records in the uk? was looking at the price of a xone:92, and getting it from there would cost £819.11 which is $1,866 at todays exchange rate as opposed to buying it from djwarehouse for $2090.

the xone can take any voltage right? and chem records isn't dodgy so its a go you would think?

Last edited by avatar_karma: 17-Nov-08 at 02:49pm

jonnybiggs69 +

Times thanked
<
Yeah the only thing i would say is that you have to be prepared to send it back to England if something goes wrong with it - the local distributor won't want to know - but if the saving is big enough its normally worth a look IMHO
Page 3 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »