Traktor Scratch vs Serato

Tools
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
<
Traktor Scratch vs Serato
Peeps,

Just wondering what the pro's and con's for either of these products are?
My Trap/Mash Up Mix - Twurk till it Hurt

https://soundcloud.com/iamdjshy/twurk-till-it-hurt
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
i'm in the same position and from my research and such traktor scratch is the weapon of choice
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
only decent review is here that I've found

http://www.nem0nic.com/index.php?opt...d=119&Itemid=1

since i've been playing the underdog all my DJ career, I'm probably going to get it. and for a great price i can't complain.
step on my cubes.
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
Traktor scratch is the new standard IMO.

Serato while they still have a great product with a great reputation for stability and ease of use. For mine they have dropped the ball considerably and rested on their laurels for a bit too long.
The latest versions are only just incorporating MIDI for pete's sake.

Traktor Scratch and its hardware are a lot more flexible and its just as stable and as easy to use.

2c
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
is the sound card a proper 4x4? could i acually pretend to make music on it?
step on my cubes.
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
Indeed it is.

http://www.native-instruments.com/in...id=audio8dj_us

Thats the interface that comes with traktor scratch.

IMO it leaves serato in a big cloud of dust at the moment. They are really going to have to revise some shit to compete.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
yeah, so i can potentially hook up external sources and use ableton/reason etc and it's by no means restricted to using traktor.....

that's a pretty big incentive IMO.
step on my cubes.
HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
<
I like to view the song side to side rather than up and down ... I can't explain it any better than that sorry, if you've played with both you'll understand what I mean. Traktor FTW
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Traktor definately looks the goods at the moment.
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
From all reports the sound card is pretty high qual too isnt it??
Dj Hempenhymer +

The Origin of Species

Times thanked
<
What is peoples opinion on the versatility on both setups, with regards to some forms of music are better off benefiting from this program such as Tech ,hip hop, ect.. where i can see you want that vinyl feel but also the extra HDD space or just dont want to cart all vinyl around.

Do you think for stuff more commercial style its better to just bite your lip, sell the decks and get cdjs if you know what i mean?

And when you are using the "control" vinyls can you still bring along a crate of vinyls along to the gig to just use them without having to unplug all that stuff?
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Yeah you can still use normal vinyl when Traktor is setup I believe.
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Ok I have ordered Traktor & a new mac lappy and now have the monumental task of
ripping all my vinyl to my computer.

Any one have any tips & tricks for this?

At the moment I have a xitel http://www.spankrecords.com.au/stock...l.asp?id=10559
at the moment which I will probably use for the task.
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
Get a good new stylus or cart specifically for this.
Ensure your vinyl is clean and dust free - obvious
A decent interface, you will have that in NI's Audio 8 (which comes with traktor)
A decent audio editing program. I am not sure of the free ones out there. But i use wavelab. $600 approx.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to give me a PM or hit me up on MSN Andreas.

Which mac did you get? i got my new one the other week 2.4 Ghz and its farken sweet!!!
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
If Traktor can pull off the 2 deck control of 4 decks well (ala Traktor 3.3), I reckon I'd be on it.... but what's Traktor got that Serato hasn't.

Serato for me...
HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj Hempenhymer

What is peoples opinion on the versatility on both setups, with regards to some forms of music are better off benefiting from this program such as Tech ,hip hop, ect.. where i can see you want that vinyl feel but also the extra HDD space or just dont want to cart all vinyl around.

Do you think for stuff more commercial style its better to just bite your lip, sell the decks and get cdjs if you know what i mean?

And when you are using the "control" vinyls can you still bring along a crate of vinyls along to the gig to just use them without having to unplug all that stuff?

Don't forget they come with control CDS as well as control vinyl!
jazzyd +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekwipt

If Traktor can pull off the 2 deck control of 4 decks well (ala Traktor 3.3), I reckon I'd be on it.... but what's Traktor got that Serato hasn't.

Serato for me...

Has serato got key lock?
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekwipt

What do you mean by this? Can you explain?

archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreas

Ok I have ordered Traktor & a new mac lappy and now have the monumental task of ripping all my vinyl to my computer.

i'm just thinking out-loud here, but are there any kind of copyright infringements for downloading music from the internet that you already own? i guess the fact the mp3 or whatever exists in the first place is illegal, but is there any kind of grey-area whereby you could download lots of tunes you already owned saving yourself lots of time?

or do you have to do the actual ripping yourself?

sounds like a bit of a nightmare, although on the flip-side i guess you'll rediscover a few gems
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by HARV3Y

I like to view the song side to side rather than up and down ... I can't explain it any better than that sorry, if you've played with both you'll understand what I mean. Traktor FTW

I guess each has its benefits.

With Serato running up and down, you can see where the basslines align for a beat mix. Yes I know you can hear it but if you want a visual if you didnt have a monitor, this would be helpful.

However with the side by side, you can see alot more track and what coming up.

archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyBoy

What do you mean by this? Can you explain?

traktor scratch allows you to control 4 digital decks via the 2 physical turntables

there are more audio inputs and outputs on traktor scratch

you can use both cards as standalone soundcards.
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
<
Most of you may find this a stupid question, but I know with Serato - its has those teeth at the top of the display that helps you beat sync tracks quickly.

Does Traktor have something similar?

archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
i'd say to grab yourself a demo copy mate - it's a small program. check it out for yourself! take away some of that mystique. i love it :blush: :blush:

you can see beats line-up easily in traktor too, if that's what you mean but yeah i'd suggest tooling aroud with the demo
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by archietech

i'd say to grab yourself a demo copy mate - it's a small program. check it out for yourself! take away some of that mystique. i love it :blush: :blush:

you can see beats line-up easily in traktor too, if that's what you mean but yeah i'd suggest tooling aroud with the demo

Sweet, I might take a look at the demo.

Before everyone jumps in with the 'why can you just beat mix by ear' I am wanting to get Serato/Traktor to mess around with mainly hip hop/rock mixing at home. The teeth graph on Serato allows you to align quicker and make faster transitions etc.

Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i'm just thinking out-loud here, but are there any kind of copyright infringements for downloading music from the internet that you already own? i guess the fact the mp3 or whatever exists in the first place is illegal, but is there any kind of grey-area whereby you could download lots of tunes you already owned saving yourself lots of time?

sounds like a bit of a nightmare, although on the flip-side i guess you'll rediscover a few gems

yes it is a grey area. from my limited understanding you're able to copy vinyl to mp3 as it's now not illegal. but the problem arises when you go to the buying and selling forum and tell everyone you're selling your vinyl because you've copied it, what you're doing is selling the licence with the piece of wax.

as for downloading an illegal recording that you have the licence for, thats a question for people like legal affairs.
step on my cubes.
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Its illegal to download the mp3 unless you pay for it. So you will have to re buy the tunes in that format.

You can change the format as in recording your vinyl, but if you sell the vinyl you no longer own the tune and therefore your MP3 copy is now illegal.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
Cheers mate - I'm not talking about selling any of my vinyl though, i couldn't do a thing like that! Purely as a time-saving excercise
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyd

Has serato got key lock?

Yeah, internets says it's better than Traktors too

But that's probably being said by the Serato
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

traktor scratch allows you to control 4 digital decks via the 2 physical turntables

Unproven if it works, the software update hasn't been released yet unless there's a beta.

It's a good idea though, beats having Ableton on the same laptop or the more expensive setup of having two laptops (Serato & Ableton.... Traktor users could obviously do the same thing)
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
I really think the line is closer than ever.

There hasn't really been a commercially available marketed product that has got even close to serato's hold on the market place.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Was talking to Chris at Spank about this very thing yesterday and his view is that even
ripping the vinyl to your computer would infringe copyright laws, as technically it is making
a reproduction.
My belief was that if you owned the original you could make a copy for safety purposes however that may not be correct either?

Definately shades of grey around the laws by the sounds.

Just read this on another forum didnt think you could use VST's or ableton with any of the
programs YET..

[ "This is a PM I sent a chap over on MS. Should help you out.

FYI, talking about Traktor Scratch First.

First off, the interface is by far the best on the market. It uses Cirrus converters and that's just unheard of in DJ equipment! it samples at 96k/24bit.

Another good thing is that it's all being built by NI, no third party involved anywhere. So they have been able to implement a number of features. The best one in my opinion is that you can run it through Ableton and use Ableton as you master clock, PLUS you can also run VSTs in Traktor Scratch itself. Custom effects anyone? Not only can you customize your effects, but you can use automation to record your movments to make effects even more dynamic and alive.

I've had mine for a bit now (friend works for NI so I got a 'demo' copy = p) and I really can't see anything wrong with it at the moment. Haven't played out with it yet but once I get the feel and trust myself with it more than I'll be taking it out.

But it's still new, and I'm not sure how often they are going to be putting out updates for it like Rane has for Serato. That's one of the reasons I went with Serato because they actually listen to what their users suggest and try to implement them.

Traktor Scratch is by far the superior product at the moment in terms of quality.

If you just use Serato as a record box than by all means no need to get Traktor, but if you have thought about using Ableton to SUPPORT your DJ set than by all means Traktor is the way to go.

Since you already use Ableton I would say get Traktor Scratch but that's me.

Cheers and best of luck!" ]
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Was talking to Chris at Spank about this very thing yesterday and his view is that even
ripping the vinyl to your computer would infringe copyright laws, as technically it is making
a reproduction.
My belief was that if you owned the original you could make a copy for safety purposes however that may not be correct either?

from what Iv'e read, since the laws changed in recording material for backing up purposes you can do this.

same with up until last year it was illegal to record shows you wanted to watch on your VCR player.
step on my cubes.
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Interesting Bracko. Either way you would have to be unlucky if you ripped your vinyl to
laptop for something like Traktor (keeping your vinyl at home) and got busted for
copyright infringement somehow?
Dj Hempenhymer +

The Origin of Species

Times thanked
<
Answer this!

if you have Serato or traktor scratch running, can you just remove a control vinyl and then put a proper record on and play it, it would save having to rip across all vinyl to the pc, and still gives you the option of carrying a case of records to the gig
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
thanks for sharing that pm andreas, that is pretty much the most insightful review i've read on traktor scratch. looks like a whole can of worms to play with

i have never heard of a dj being busted for the mp3 thing, but i don't have my ear-to-the-ground by any stretch of the imagination...

as you said you sure would be unlucky to get busted playing stuff you ripped yourself from vinyl haha
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
dj hemp yes just change the line to phono
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<
I don't know how people can compare and say Traktor Scratch is better based on paper specs when very few people have used it in the real world.

Based upon the previous efforts eg Final Scratch 1 & 2, that would be enough to scare me away.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech

I don't know how people can compare and say Traktor Scratch is better based on paper specs when very few people have used it in the real world.

Based upon the previous efforts eg Final Scratch 1 & 2, that would be enough to scare me away.

I agree, but we're not looking at hardware from Stanton anymore, and traktor software on it's own is a great product.
step on my cubes.

Last edited by Bracko: 20-Jul-07 at 12:48pm

Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
I have used both and for me traktor scratch is a better product.

Serato/ rane really need to lift their collective game with their product or they will be left behind.
Dont get me wrong, Serato is awesome. It does what it does extremely well. In this day though its a little rough and needs an overhaul with some decent features to really open up the playing field a bit more.

2c
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
Nixtol +

Tolerating crap since '82

Times thanked
<
I've been playing out with Traktor Scratch for about 2 Months now. It is a great piece of kit. Solid as a rock. Funny thing is, one of the best things about it is a simple way you hook it up to the clubs mixer. Because I play the same club each week I simply leave the mixer side of the Loom in place. (you can buy extras if you play more venues) All I have to do to set up is plug my laptop in, plug the sound card in to the Lappy (USB) and the plug the two cannons in and I'm ready to roll. Whole process take all of 2 min.

Once the Traktor 3.3 update drops, this thing will shit all over Serato from a very high altitude.

I use to use Final Scratch with Traktor 3... That was OK... the STANTON box being the weak link, not to mention Stanton's lack of customer support. NI on the other hand are an awesome company to deal with, they even sent out demo CD's and brochures at my request because so many people want to know what I'm using. With them having full control over the entire product I'm sure Traktor scratch is gonna become a real competitor in the race to become the standard, which at the end of the day is what we are all waiting to see, which company becomes the Pioneer cdj1000 of the Digital Vinyl control world.

Traktor Scratch FTW!
Snatch & Grab
Phoenix
Lesbian-Indie-Weekly
www.myspace.com/snatch_and_grab
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Thanks for that wrap up nix
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I sure wish I was lucky enough to have access to a Traktor Scratch unit. Infact I wish I were lucky enough to test any piece of equipment I've ever bought before buying it. Unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to be in this kind of position, and thus the only way I and many other people can conduct research is 'based on paper specs'. Another problem about never getting to play with things etc before you buy them is that people often give 'advice' that is incorrect or misleading, like comparing traktor scratch to the scratch amp for example.

I am going to buy traktor scratch, based entirely on 'paper specs' very very soon!
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Hi everyone. Have emails from some of you again. Sozzles een @ trade show ALL week with no internets at all Just checking now and have to go to gigs in like 1/2 hour so will get it all goin over the weekend/monday.

much love.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Blah, blah, blah.
silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,840 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:

Enjoy your obsolete serato
spandexxx +

Times thanked
<
been using serato for a while now and its been great, but the new features on traktor look very nice.... can use it as a soundcard aswell... might consider giving it a go
Spandexxx... The Tight Alternative
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
Beat jump- move within a track without losing track/tempo sync

Can anybody give feedback on this one?
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvaside

Enjoy your obsolete serato

I DJ, I'm not a button pusher or a feature user to make up for my inability.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
i love you.

Last edited by Pro Tool: 22-Jul-07 at 08:38pm

silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,840 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:

I DJ, I'm not a button pusher or a feature user to make up for my inability.

You sound like someone who thinks they've been hard done by technology, some kid with a laptop steal your gigs or something? At the end of the day you're only playing other peoples music...clearly you deserve a medal.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »