The DJ Booth

Traktor Scratch vs Serato

Page 2 of 4
  Tools
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
ohk so can someone give me a quicklist of all programs that let you have vinyl control using a laptop,

torq
numark
serato
tracktor

is final scratch serato?
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
final scratch is Stanton, SSL is rane.
step on my cubes.
TyPhoNiC +

Times thanked
<
Does Traktor Scratch or any other digital vinyl setup have the colour coded frequency waveforms like Serato? Serato definately has the best waveforms out of all the software I've seen.
Releases on Databass
NSW Red Bull Thre3style Champion 2012/2011
Mixes
Fanpage
Youtube

10/08/13 - Shake That Monkey @ Sly Fox
Laptopexcursion +

Times thanked
<
As a vinyl emulator serato scratch is unreal. Love it and use it all the time. It does what its supposed to do perfectly. Only major drawback is the clunky box. Its a pain to set up and the usb port on it is flimsy.
SloppyJo +

Times thanked
<
It comes down to what & how you play & think of your DJing. Tractor interface & setup tends to lend itself to more fluid styles of DJing, for styles like house, techno, trance etc. It also looks more like a CD player read out (on screen).
Serato lends itself more to hip hop & a turntablists view on DJing. Both have its pro's & con's but at the end of the day its more a personal choice.
blakenelson +

Times thanked
<
Okay i'm not somone who has the money to purchase traktor/serato and i've just done simple stuff with torq.

Has anyone used torq and can actually give me a good run down if its gonna just die halfway through a set.

It seemed stable when I used it but I wasn't using effects or cueing or looping or any of that stuff.
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Ring and speak to chris at spank records as he has been using torq for a while and loves it.

Best I can offer unfortunately
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
i wouldn't look at pricing as a direct comparison of quality. Stanton's unit was the same or more than rane scratch live and it simply smashes it in terms of performance.
step on my cubes.
Atomic-FX +

Times thanked
<
There's also Virtual dj with the feature od video mixing capabilities too ( i should be shot for mentioned it). I moved to vdj as a cheap ' hack it up as you go' custom job to the 'packaged and marketed' solutions out there. Before that i ran Traktor with jsut ann external mixer.

we run the system for mobile gigs with an 100Gig collection, also sometimes removing my mates pc ( as we dont have a 4 chan mixer) and placing his hdd in the gig machine adding another 100 or so gig to the collection. VDJ cannont cope with this at all now, it really shows that NI got their programming down right

NI Traktor3 is Just awesome product in so many ways, but for me nothing compares to how it's must crucial aspects to me (screen design/layout and functionality in this aspect AND its database mp3/id3 backend that has often been overlooked in other products giving u a tiny amoun of space to view playlisted songs and not handling importation / anaylisation well at all.

1. It puts its palylists and gets it directory tree from with in the windows file tree. Trust me on this one, a typed paragraph can not explain how benificial this is.

2. it's Search function is just soo damn powerful especialy considering u can show FULL id3 tagging ie ( key, directory path,track in album, release dates,last played ) all this is crucial info to how i operate in those moments where i dont have a song to chuck onto next. BTW the search function and mp3 database collection in vdj is utter tosh.
mike_jaye +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laptopexcursion

As a vinyl emulator serato scratch is unreal. Love it and use it all the time. It does what its supposed to do perfectly. Only major drawback is the clunky box. Its a pain to set up and the usb port on it is flimsy.

Compared to the shape of Final Scratch box, Serato is way more convenient. I also heaps prefer the screen layout of Serato, very simple and easier to search/acess tracks quicker. I'd never want the midi functions of Final Scratch, so am chuffed with Serato.
http://www.myspace.com/mikejaye (Dj)

http://www.myspace.com/physicalculture (Tracks)
mike_jaye +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SloppyJo

Tractor interface & setup tends to lend itself to more fluid styles of DJing, for styles like house, techno, trance etc. It also looks more like a CD player read out (on screen).
Serato lends itself more to hip hop & a turntablists view on DJing.

How does the interface of one or the other 'lend itself' to a certain 'style of mixing'? Granted that the only times I"ve used Final Scratch have been on a shakey old laptop, but Serato seems to respond quicker, be more stable and tracks better, which for scratching is a little more important. Although I'd have thought thats important for any style of music?

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Dude this isn't about Final Scratch. Go buy a newspaper, read the date, and check what's current.
mike_jaye +

Times thanked
<
[quote=andreas] and now have the monumental task of
ripping all my vinyl to my computer.

Any one have any tips & tricks for this?
QUOTE]

Yeah, rip at the highest bitrate you are comfortable with. I spent ages ripping stuff, only to realise it was doing it VBR. As far as programs, I believe Audacity is free as an editor, and EAC/Lame is a dope encoder with simple layout and good functionality. Check the user forums at Scratchlive or Stanton, heaps of threads and tricks.

andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
The first time I had a real session on my new Traktor Scratch the other night and I am even
more impressed now than I was before. Played for about 3-4 hours and just ran so smoothly,
easy to find & grab tracks, even using the scroll function on the time code vinyl. Didnt even have to touch the computer. Thought the scroll function on the vinyl was a bit of a gimmick but
it certainly is not.
The last set list of tracks would be great for internet radio sets. Analyze is awesome.
I am still coming to terms with the beat mapping but the Traktor seems to be pretty on point
with its marking of beats.

All in all the more I use this the better I like it.

Three thumbs up from me.

Now down to the task of ripping all my vinyl using the Audio 8 & Audacity.

Am also looking forward to the recording of sets function on Traktor. Should make things easier.
mike_jaye +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Tool

Dude this isn't about Final Scratch. Go buy a newspaper, read the date, and check what's current.

Apologies for my ignorance, I only read the telegraph so I'm a dumb shit

http://www.spankrecords.com.au/stock...l.asp?id=34612

Shit, that looks pretty fucking good... are there any known 'issues' with it?

andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
thks mike jay will check the scratch forums.

Any one have some Audacity settings for me to use for good qual

Also where do I find them in Audacity?

Preferences I presume?
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_jaye

Apologies for my ignorance, I only read the telegraph so I'm a dumb shit

http://www.spankrecords.com.au/stock...l.asp?id=34612

Shit, that looks pretty fucking good... are there any known 'issues' with it?

oh god ANOTHER Queenslander! There's a lot you types on here

No really - a heap of people off here got together and group bought Traktor Scratch a couple months back and they're all singing the praises of it.
silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,840 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreas

Now down to the task of ripping all my vinyl using the Audio 8 & Audacity.

Am also looking forward to the recording of sets function on Traktor. Should make things easier.

I record my vinyl in Traktor and then run it through a program called WavePurity Professional to clean it up and fix levels.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
hay

apparently there are alot of cd players bettern then cdjs yet you do not see many in clubs

get my drift?
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
wha?
mike_jaye +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjay

hay

apparently there are alot of cd players bettern then cdjs yet you do not see many in clubs

get my drift?

There's a lot of jukeboxes in clubs that are better than dj's, and they have VARIETY

johnjay +

Times thanked
<
im saying tha serato is the industry standard

its got the name, and it does the job

why get traktor? you might aswell go for ableton, because it seems traktor is trying to market bs features like that
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Oh god you crack my ass JJ. Still bitter about faffing around and missing the group buy?

JJ poo poos it and chases 2nd hand (and faulty if I recall?) Serato while the rest of the world just gets on with it.
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
i wholy approve of the word 'faffing'
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~**~**~*~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
OH MY GOD.. I hadnt realised that Serato was the "industry standard". Heck I havent seen
it out in any clubs at this point?? Wow I am behind the times...

I am going to rush out to sell my Traktor and chase the inferior Serato unit.. Choice
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
you will see the serato box in many booths, including many booths in melbourne

nah not pissed over it, i am selling serato as well because i dont like serato either

its just that the way traktor has been marketd to me seems that is more of a computer program then a dj product that is made to let you play mp3s just like vinyl

even serato has gone to far, i hate the waveform display it distracts me and i hate having to stare at a laptop and fkn fiddle with plugs, and use my laptop everytime i want to hear music
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
mmmmmmmmmhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
plus im glad i got serato

because now i can actually re sell it,
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Why would you want to re sell it??

Try before you buy. Personally I love the Traktor Scratch interface & you could play a whole
set without actually touching the computer if you wanted using the control vinyl to select
tracks as well as play them.. ??

EDIT: PS part of the reason Traktor is quite Xpensive is the high quality external sound card they ship with it..
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

now that makes no sense at all.
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Yeah mang you and me think the same, I'm glad when I get anything coz then I can resell it. Why can't people see the logic in this? Cuz they're jealous of us and our leet resell abilities thats why mang.
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
*takes the spade off jj*
the tasmanian connection

johnjay +

Times thanked
<
resale value

you know the thing those techincs turntables and pioneer cdjs have, which traktor doesnt
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
How do you know that Traktor doesnt have resale value? Why would you be focused on that?
Its not like you buy it with the plan of selling it.
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<
http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=52243

Apparently stability, crashing and freezing aren't things you should be worrying about!
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Yeah reading through that there is a large cross section of purchasers that are having problems??
Its the same few people writing in. Some of whom are absolutely incoherrent (obviously english is not there primary language).

Look I havent used it enough to say that its totally stable but I am running it on a new
macbook pro at the lowest latency available and havent had any problems.

I will definately keep everyone posted once I clock up some real hours on the system though.
RZArector +

muffin man

Times thanked
<
im gunna stick with serato

spent $800 on it

hopefully a new patch comes out soon
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

resale value

you know the thing those techincs turntables and pioneer cdjs have, which traktor doesnt

You're the funniest shit round here since sliced bread.

You bought it second hand dude. = you will sell it for the same ass 2nd hand price. The same logic applies if you bought a 20 year old Ford Falcon.

I like my n00bs determined.
silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=52243

Apparently stability, crashing and freezing aren't things you should be worrying about!

The Serato forums are no different... so what's your point again?

@ industry standard. johnjay must be an alias of turntabletech
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreas

Some of whom are absolutely incoherrent (obviously english is not there primary language).

That would be the tech support people from Native Instruments wouldn't it? The NI moderators seem to be pretty bad and obtuse?

Remember NI is a software company and one that has released some pretty shoddy software that would be considered alpha and beta releases by other companies standards, they're not a hardware company. Here is where I think potential problems may arise.

Scratch Live is a combination effort by a US pro audio manufacturer that's been around for over 25yrs (Rane), and an NZ software company that made a name for themselves making plug-ins for Pro Tools. This is why Scratch Live worked straight out of the box and did what it supposed to back in mid 2004 and they've built upon that @ users requests.

I've had about an hour on Traktor Skratch and it's not for me. I don't like the GUI and it's a lot more CPU hungry than Scratch Live. I've never had Scratch Live crash or lockup on me in 3yrs, yet I see a lot of people having that issue playing out with TS. The whole reason I got SL was it replicated vinyl manipulation perfectly and still does today.

Horses for courses...
mike_jaye +

Times thanked
<
For what it's worth, I find the serato support really good.

silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I've had about an hour on Traktor Skratch and it's not for me. I don't like the GUI and it's a lot more CPU hungry than Scratch Live. I've never had Scratch Live crash or lockup on me in 3yrs, yet I see a lot of people having that issue playing out with TS. The whole reason I got SL was it replicated vinyl manipulation perfectly and still does today.

Horses for courses...

Yeah and it's clear you're a Serato fanboy. Of course newer software is going to use more computer resources. People don't buy quadcore's to run dos do they?

It means nothing to me that serato can run on something I threw out 5 years ago. Perfect manipulation?
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvaside

Yeah and it's clear you're a Serato fanboy. Of course newer software is going to use more computer resources. People don't buy quadcore's to run dos do they?

It means nothing to me that serato can run on something I threw out 5 years ago. Perfect manipulation?

Serato has had 15 new versions of software in 3yrs dickhead. Guess what, still can run on a P3 1.2GHz and 256MB Ram. Traktor is locking up on current computer configurations. I started out with v1.2 and it's now up to 1.7.3.

NI wouldve charged for the upgrades 5x over.
mike_jaye +

Times thanked
<
With all this bitching do you guys get a chance to actually mix anymore?

Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
In soviet russia, record scratches YOU!
silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Serato has had 15 new versions of software in 3yrs dickhead. Guess what, still can run on a P3 1.2GHz and 256MB Ram. Traktor is locking up on current computer configurations. I started out with v1.2 and it's now up to 1.7.3.

NI wouldve charged for the upgrades 5x over.

I'm running TS on a 2-3 year old laptop and it works fine. Have you used TS for extended periods? Has it crashed on you? There are so many factors involved when something crashes and it seems like you just want to blame NI and their "dodgy" software without looking at the bigger picture.
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
turntabletech i used to really value your opinion but it seems that you're just another nerdling trying to be a hero on a virtual forum on the internet. sigh.
the tasmanian connection

ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by archietech

turntabletech i used to really value your opinion but it seems that you're just another nerdling trying to be a hero on a virtual forum on the internet. sigh.

How about you read everything I have written and consider the FACTS?
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
i did read everything that you wrote

i have been using traktor w/ final scratch and currently traktor scratch for ages and have never ever ever ever ever EVER had a single crash or problem. these are my facts that i have experienced first-hand not read on the intertron or what-not
the tasmanian connection

Page 2 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »