Tools
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by archietech

i did read everything that you wrote

i have been using traktor w/ final scratch and currently traktor scratch for ages and have never ever ever ever ever EVER had a single crash or problem. these are my facts that i have experienced first-hand not read on the intertron or what-not

Obviously it's short-comings didn't bother you or your skills didn't experience them?

I was given 1.5 and Final Scratch 2 to evaluate and I gave them back pretty quickly as it was plainly obvious they couldn't do what I can do with two normal records. They didn't react or sound like real vinyl does. If all you then is beatmix then you probably wouldn't even notice this.

When I got my hands on Scratch Live in 2004, I was blown away. I could'nt find anything wrong with it all and started using it playing out 4 weeks later and have been playing with it ever since.

I don't need any bullshit features and stuff thats on CD players and effects or any crap like that. It's just clutter as far as I'm concerned.

Scratch Live has a very intuitive logical GUI with quick track search and selection. The last thing I want to be doing is playing with a laptop instead of DJing. Scratch Live wins in this area hands down.

IMO, one major faux pas on NI's part is the fact the unit does not have a buffered and isolated phono pass-through circuit on the box. This is a major problem if you're (or others before and after your set) are playing regular vinyl in a club gig.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurntableTech

IMO, one major faux pas on NI's part is the fact the unit does not have a buffered and isolated phono pass-through circuit on the box. This is a major problem if you're (or others before and after your set) are playing regular vinyl in a club gig.

As for pass thru - check the cable that comes with it - it will explain a lot. And you'll see why it's a very clever system. I believe that if you power down the laptop with Serato inbetween no audio gets through yes?
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
sigh you've done it again TT. you're just talking utter crap and making massively wild assumptions. you don't even need to ever touch your laptop when using TS. you don't have to bother with effects if you don't want, and you can 'hide' them if you want too. i however do bother with some of them for a bit of fun however again i use my trigger finger to control them all and again never touch my laptop. just because you can't get your head around the simple traktor interface and can get it around your beloved serato it doesn't mean a single thing either. another thing to note that nobody is actually saying anything bad about serato, and as you said previously 'horses for courses'. i'm sure if i could be bothered i could find things on the internet saying how bad serato was and how often in freezes and blah blah blah, but again i'm only bringing to the table things i know from my vast vast experience with using the products.

serato does definitely dominate in the ping-pong though
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~**~**~*~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
johnjay +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

When I got my hands on Scratch Live in 2004, I was blown away. I could'nt find anything wrong with it all and started using it playing out 4 weeks later and have been playing with it ever since.

Scratch Live has a very intuitive logical GUI with quick track search and selection. The last thing I want to be doing is playing with a laptop instead of DJing. Scratch Live wins in this area hands down.

nicely said and the reason why serato can be installed in a booth and traktor cant, you can leave the box there and dj's using normal vinyl or cds wont have to bring their laptops

but backspins sound fkn shit on serato

why does traktor need more cpu anyway? isn't its whole point to just play mp3's like records? and doesnt serato do that? so why do you need more cpu? just in case you want to use it like sasah uses ableton and click the mouse every 2 seconds?

i mean if you want a program that takes the whole concept of djiing away from it get ableton, why use something with vinyl control if you do not even really need it?
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
ahahhah great great post.

sure it's not the resale value mate?

do you honestly think that if you left the traktor box there dj's couldn't use vinyl? do you actually believe that? though i guess your knowledge on the matter never ceases to amaze me.

again let me say what a magnificant post that was. i thought i took the spade off you but i guess you're going to keep on diggin'. nice!
the tasmanian connection

silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,840 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:

You really have no idea do you? All that's needed to be done is to flick the channel on the mixer to phono and bam you can play vinyl, how is that a major problem? You can even disconnect the Audio 8 and nothing would happen to the sound coming out.
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
there are rumours on the internets

the tasmanian connection

johnjay +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvaside

You really have no idea do you? All that's needed to be done is to flick the channel on the mixer to phono and bam you can play vinyl, how is that a major problem? You can even disconnect the Audio 8 and nothing would happen to the sound coming out.

what i think his trying to say

is that yes you can do that, but a dj using vinyl will still need a laptop with the traktor program running, so a dj who plays just straight vinyl or cd will have to either bring a laptop with them or wil have to take the rcas out of the decks or cdj and plug back into a mixer

whereas with serato if it was set up in a professional booth you can something extra that lets you switch to phono and not have to have the program running at the same time

turntabletech is that right? unless you want every dj to bring a laptop with them just so 1 or 2 djs can use traktor, i dont see it being used in clubs

taken from page 3 of serato manual

"Connect a 9VDC external poower supply (not included) to the SL 1 to power the THRU channels when USB power is not present. This allows you to ploay vinyl (or cds) when the laptop is not present, useful for permanent installaions or using more than one laptop. The power supply must be 9 volts DC, 300 mA minimum using a P6-type barrel plug"

how do you do this and is this costly? this is the reason why i am selling serato as I hate having to take turn my laptop on and open serat etc etc when i just want to hear one record

Last edited by johnjay: 26-Sep-07 at 07:08pm

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
you don't need the laptop running traktor, plugged into the soundcard or even on.

when you get the traktor cables you will see there's female and 2x male connections on one end then a single set of male RCA connections on the other end (with a multicore connection in the middle, but that's irrevelent to the discussion)

one male = mixer
1x male = player
1 x female = the cable that was connected to the player.

this means that when you finish your set you can just leave the traktor cable there and switch the mixer back to phono.

thus if every club installed traktor cables they wouldn't have to do anything to accomodate traktor users or normal users.
step on my cubes.
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

you don't need the laptop running traktor, plugged into the soundcard or even on.

when you get the traktor cables you will see there's female and 2x male connections on one end then a single set of male RCA connections on the other end (with a multicore connection in the middle, but that's irrevelent to the discussion)

one male = mixer
1x male = player
1 x female = the cable that was connected to the player.

this means that when you finish your set you can just leave the traktor cable there and switch the mixer back to phono.

thus if every club installed traktor cables they wouldn't have to do anything to accomodate traktor users or normal users.

You mean the splitting of the signal cable prior to it reaching a preamp or any buffer of any sort??? Like this...

That isn't very smart engineering practice and will degrade the already low signal coming from the phono cartridge not to mention causing impedance mismatch.

Splitting line level audio signal isn't very smart, that's why audio D/A's exist. Splitting a phono signal is sheer stupidity. Wait for the list of problems that occur with this method in different setup environments.

So how many of you actually play out with this?
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjay

what i think his trying to say

is that yes you can do that, but a dj using vinyl will still need a laptop with the traktor program running, so a dj who plays just straight vinyl or cd will have to either bring a laptop with them or wil have to take the rcas out of the decks or cdj and plug back into a mixer

whereas with serato if it was set up in a professional booth you can something extra that lets you switch to phono and not have to have the program running at the same time

turntabletech is that right? unless you want every dj to bring a laptop with them just so 1 or 2 djs can use traktor, i dont see it being used in clubs

taken from page 3 of serato manual

"Connect a 9VDC external poower supply (not included) to the SL 1 to power the THRU channels when USB power is not present. This allows you to ploay vinyl (or cds) when the laptop is not present, useful for permanent installaions or using more than one laptop. The power supply must be 9 volts DC, 300 mA minimum using a P6-type barrel plug"

how do you do this and is this costly? this is the reason why i am selling serato as I hate having to take turn my laptop on and open serat etc etc when i just want to hear one record

It's easy to do. Paddington Inn has Scratch Live built into the DJ console as does the Albion Hotel too with a USB socket on the console to plug your laptop in.

All you need is a compact 9VDC Switchmode AC Adaptor from Jaycar and you're sorted.

I haven't seen Traktor used out in clubs. Every club hip hop DJ I know in Sydney uses Scratch Live. Moto, Samrai, Nino Brown, Eko, Stanley, Normz, G-Wizard and I could name every other DJ. Every single one uses it as it's by far the best in the vinyl manipulation stakes.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
time in the market dictates that you're going to see live out more than traktor.

how long was live out before it was picked up by said artists.
step on my cubes.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
45 KING > The King of the Beats

?UESTLOVE > The Roots drummer and DJ

A-SIDES > D&B Producer & DJ

A-TRAK > DMC, ITF and Vestax Champ

AFRIKA BAMBAATAA > Zulu Nation, Planet Rock

AKUFEN > Does things his way

ALLAN BANFORD > DJ / Producer / Remixer

BASE FM > Auckland Aotearoa, 107.3FM - Coming Soon!

BEAT JUNKIES > International beat phenomenon

BENI G > Mixologists

BJOERN WILKE > Level Non Zero Records

BONOBO > It came from the sea

BOOZOO BAJOU > Dust My Broom - Coming Soon!

CUT KILLER > Pioneer of the French hip hop movement

CUTCANNIBALZ > Beatwars and Da Kid

DAMON WILD > Rave Generator!

DAVE TARRIDA > Sativae Records

DIPLO > Renaissance Man meets Bart Simpson down South

DJ AM > The US Entertainment Industry's Premier DJ

DJ BIJAL > Mr Everywhere

DJ BIZNIZZ > The En4cers!

DJ BOMBASTICO > Ghosttown DJs

DJ CXL > 2003 NZ DMC Champion - Coming Soon!

DJ DEBONAIR > Producer - Arena Rocking DJ - Coming Soon!

DJ EMPRESS > - Coming Soon!

DJ ENFERNO > Live Remix Project

DJ FLAME > Freesouls co-founder and Indonesian Club DJ

DJ GERO > Double French DMC Champion - Coming Soon!

DJ KAI > Rising star of the New York house scene

DJ LEN SWANN > Tech Mob, Revolution champ

DJ MARKY > Innerground Records from Brazil

DJ POGO > One of the UKs top turntablists - Coming Soon!

DJ POISON IVY > Queen Of Dirty South

DJ RECTANGLE > DMC Champ, battle record master - Coming Soon!

DJ RIZ > One half of Crooklyn Clan

DJ ROCKID > 5 x Dutch DMC champ

DJ SHORTEE > 'Queen of the Scratch World' - DJ Times

DJ SHORTY > - Coming Soon!

DJ SKRIBBLE > Diversify your soul - Coming Soon!

DJ SOLOMON > DJ for the Golden State Warriors

DJ SPINBAD > Technical master

DJ SPINNA > Producer, DJ, Remixer

DJ SWIFT > French DMC Finalist - Coming Soon!

DJ TOMEKK > Tomasz Kuklicz

DJ VADIM > The Art of Listening

DJ VAJRA > 4 Time DMC USA Finalist. 2002 WSTC world champion

DJ WOODY > 2X World Champ

DJ YODA > No ordinary scratch DJ

DUBFIRE > Grammy winner, one half of Deep Dish

EVIL EDDIE RICHARDS > Britan's godfather of house and techno

FELIX DA HOUSECAT > One of the most creative artists in music today - Coming Soon!

G SPA > Gansevoort Spa & Lounge - Coming Soon!

GROOVERIDER > - Coming Soon!

HAUL & MASON > Four turntable beatdown

HEIKO LAUX > Kanzleramt Records

IG CULTURE > New Sector Movements

JAY DABHI > "Mumbai after dark"

JAZZY JAY > Def Jam founder, DMC DJ Hall of Fame

JAZZY JEFF > The Magnificent

JEFF MILLIGAN > Minimal Techno Producer

JEREMY P CAULFIELD > Dumb-Unit

JOHN TEJADA > Prolific Techno & House Producer

JUNIOR SANCHEZ > DJ/Producer/Remixer

K-N-S > Founder of Diwrek Hit Entertainment

KID FRESH > Lordz of Fitness

KILMORE > Incubus - Coming Soon!

KING BRITT > Vibrationoligist - Coming Soon!

KLUTE > Drum & Bass producer extraordinaire

KUTMASTA KURT > Dr. Dooom

L.E.S. > DJ / Producer - Nas's DJ

LAX > The engine-hot destination for LA's social jet-set - Coming Soon!

LOTUS > New York City Nightlife Staple - Coming Soon!

MAKOTO > Good Looking, Human Elements

MARCO PASSARANI > the Finalfrontier

MARK DE CLIVE-LOWE > Broken-Beat Producer

MARTYN > Get the funk down

MAX GRAHAM > Producer, Composer, DJ

MISSILL > DJ/Graffiti Writer/Producer

MIXMASTER MIKE > Beastie Boys - Coming Soon!

MONK > Halluci-nation

NEIL ARMSTRONG > 5th Platoon

OLLIE TEEBA > The Herbaliser

PEANUT BUTTER WOLF > Stones Throw Records

PLASTICIAN > Terrorhythm Recordings

POWER 106 FM > The #1 Radio Station in the USA for Hip Hop & R&B - Coming Soon!

PRINCE PAUL > Legendary Hip Hop Producer

QUANTIC > Tru Thoughts Records

RINSE FM > Pirate Radio - Coming Soon!

RISING SUN AND 4:20 > 373 Karangahape Road – Auckland City - Coming Soon!

ROB SWIFT > X-ecutioner, DMC East Coast champion

RONI SIZE > Mercury Award Winner - Coming Soon!

SAM ROUANET > a.k.a. Reynold - Coming Soon!

SASHA > One of the World's Best DJs

SCRAPE TACTICIANS > DJ / Turntablizm Crew

SHAWN TULSI > A mish-mash of funky house and dark disco - Coming Soon!

SIR-VERE > The face of NZ Hip Hop

STRICTLY KEV > The public face of DJ Food

THE NEXTMEN > Motherf**king International Superstar DeeJays

TRESOR CLUB > Legendary German Techno Club

YES KING > Adams.Rae.Productions - Coming Soon!

Z-TRIP > Party-rocking DJ - Coming Soon!

now djs not on the list i have seen use them

kevin yost
brian jones
jeff milligan
countless around melbourne

serato just has the name, brand, proper marketin, suppourt and it does the job

Last edited by johnjay: 26-Sep-07 at 08:33pm

johnjay +

Times thanked
<
i just do not see why some clubs have like 10 cdj 1000's but do not install serato or traktor its like 800 dollars

think of it like this, taking your laptop to a gig only, and, if it screws up it is not your fault but the clubs. whereas if you take it out you have to fuk around with wires, calibrate it, and while you are doing all this crap, you have to continue the track from the other dj and continue mixing from one deck while your screwing around with the other. And then when you have finished, every second hoping it has not crashed, you have to take the rcas out again so the other dj can continue without any silence occuring
silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Every single one uses it as it's by far the best in the vinyl manipulation stakes.

Get your hand off it, they use it because it's been out forever and CBF moving to traktor. If I had bought serato ages ago I wouldn't bother with traktor since the difference wouldn't be enough to warrant the cost of crossing over.

http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/traktorscratch.php
mike_jaye +

Times thanked
<
Pretty sure when I saw Diplo after Good Vibes a few years ago he was using Final Scratch, maybe like Hawtin he switched to Serato? Actually I heard Richie Hawtin still uses both.
http://www.myspace.com/mikejaye (Dj)

http://www.myspace.com/physicalculture (Tracks)
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
oh yeh add all those detroic techno djs to the list as well
ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
i duno y you guys keep saying you dont even have to touch ur laptop with traktor because you dont even have to touch your laptop with serato either. you can search through the songs using your vinyl or flip the vinyl and it'll play the next song.
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
Although it's much easier with the shift arrow key
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
quality chime chabib. and good work on taking the time to read the thread although i suppose it's a lot more efficient to just read one or two posts then post. ~*~grazt~*~

in other news i just took a pic of a couple of dudes posting on the TS subject:

the tasmanian connection

noiser +

Times thanked
<
i'm looking at getting Ms Pinky, does anyone here use it? it seems really cheap, but also quite powerful and as you supply your own hardware it seems like hardware quality wouldn't be an issue. anyone know much about this software?
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<
ive got ms pinky. whilst its cheap and effective, its not always the best solution. If you already have a true 4x4 sound card, then its a great buy. If you dont have a 4x4 sound card, then get something like torq if your on a budget or Tracktor Scratch if you dont.

Ms Pinky has a shit ugly gui but if all you wanna do is play tunes w/ not too many bells and whistles then its great. Easy to set up and cheap.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

You mean the splitting of the signal cable prior to it reaching a preamp or any buffer of any sort??? Like this...

That isn't very smart engineering practice and will degrade the already low signal coming from the phono cartridge not to mention causing impedance mismatch.

Splitting line level audio signal isn't very smart, that's why audio D/A's exist. Splitting a phono signal is sheer stupidity. Wait for the list of problems that occur with this method in different setup environments.

meh, I've used it in a few places so far with substandard setups and it's no worse/better than vinyl or the denon rack mount.
step on my cubes.
combfilter +

Times thanked
<
wow the waa waa sisterhood really came out in this thread hey
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Hey I havent had one problem or freeze with mine since buying. I will concede thats only about
10 hours use at the moment but will keep reporting back as the hours increase.
Joules +

Oshiri furi furi

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Im just looking into it all, so i dont pretend to know anything about either platforms.

Now I hear what ur saying, but according to that review on scratchworks....

Oh wait - Y cables... don't they make for a weak signal? Ordinarily maybe but NI have designed the whole system so that in vinyl mode, the Audio8 Dj switches up resistance so that the phono signal isn't weakened. And when switching between line and phono, the signal diverts before even reaching the interface so it's a direct connection rather than up the cable, into the Audio8 DJ and back again. And it's all patent pending as it's mightily clever stuff

I presume this is in reference to what ur talking about? Would be pretty good if it does indeed work....
Watch me blunder my way thru the world.....

www.travelpod.com/members/Joules
Joules +

Oshiri furi furi

Times thanked
<
Wow...$600 new 4 Traktor Scratch off ebay if ur a teacher or student, as the guys an apple reseller.

Does this mean u can use it on a PC too for that price?

How does the soundcard go with other applications...would it give me no fuss asio low latency with Ableton (if Im not running Traktor) on a C2Duo 2Ghz?

Joules +

Oshiri furi furi

Times thanked
<
btw, does it run properly in Vista?
Luckily Ive got dual boot, but still keen to see if its supported.

silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joules

Does this mean u can use it on a PC too for that price?

How does the soundcard go with other applications...would it give me no fuss asio low latency with Ableton (if Im not running Traktor) on a C2Duo 2Ghz?

Yer it will work on both pc/mac, all the software is included.

Works fine with ableton. I can get around 2ms input and 2ms output latency.

Last edited by silvaside: 07-Oct-07 at 07:44pm

DJSketch +

Strike3

Times thanked
<
traktor wins, have always used it ( since 2, 1 was meh)

serato is good, but too basic for me.

i run ableton and traktor on the same laptop at every gig, 2 or 3in a weekend andnever have any issues at all, (except when i forgot the firewire cable at ambar on friday after 2 other gigs, whoops.)
Filthy Gorgeous
Cott Sessions
Rouge
Fuse
Halliwell @ Villa - April 16

www.strike3productions.com

Hit me up on PM for guestlist & VIP Comps.
Joules +

Oshiri furi furi

Times thanked
<
Well i bought myself Traktor Scratch on the weekend, and I must say I already have mixed feelings.

Indeed, it has a lot of bells n whistles.
And saved me a fortune considering i needed a decent soundcard more than a mvs.
But the instant I start to move the record fairly slowly, the audio is fkn hopeless, or non-existant. Turning off the key lock helps a bit it seems, but not much. I was lead to believe (but its my fault for believing it without having the patience to see for myself) that Traktor Scratch now had the edge in the vinyl manipulation stakes. And whilst its stil pretty darned good for mixing etc (or scratching at higher speeds), i was a little dissapointed....

Still, this could b a problem with mvs's in general (or maybe i need a louder cart or somethin?). How does Serato hold up when u move the platter slowly?

Not a fan of the big kerchunk comin from the DJ8 when a proggie opens the soundcard n stuff either.

Oh, and I cant believe they dont include the USB cable! I was all ready for my toy and almost didnt make the shops intime to buy one to test it on the weekend.

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
i have no problem with it.

sounds like a PEBCAK issue to me.
step on my cubes.
Joules +

Oshiri furi furi

Times thanked
<
oh, and now my PC hangs when i try and shut down windows.
but that may (or may not) be totally unrelated.

Joules +

Oshiri furi furi

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

i have no problem with it.

sounds like a PEBCAK issue to me.

fantastic.
what, where, when or who is pebcak?

littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
In my experience Serato has no such problems. (I've used it on both a macbook or a macbook pro)
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
google it
step on my cubes.
saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
My TS came with the USB cable...
www.myspace.com/saadhafiz

www.flickr.com/photos/saadme

"You're a Class A **** selling Class C drugs"
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

It's easy to do. Paddington Inn has Scratch Live built into the DJ console as does the Albion Hotel too with a USB socket on the console to plug your laptop in.

cause fuck know's they're on the world DJ circuit....
step on my cubes.
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<

TS is shit, Serato have their own Nikes
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
im waiting for a DVS to come bundled with their own branded to the shit laptop, I'm surprised it isn't already out.
step on my cubes.
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
That serato / nike pack is rad. I'd buy i
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
Freesssh....
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
Yeah Joules mine came with a USB & works fine moving the platter at lower speeds.

What is the latency set to?
What are the PC specs your running & is the computer working overly hard?

Guess you wont need to pop around & check it out.. Couldnt wait hey..
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joules

fantastic.
what, where, when or who is pebcak?

Heya Joules - make sure that you've got the latest update from the NI website - it fixed some glitches that were happening on some systems when keylocking/moving the record slow. Particularly on newer macs. Also I question the no USB cable thing? You should have got one in the box.......

But yes - and any other TS users - check the updates and make sure you're up with them.
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
I have been playing a bit with mine now & love it. Really does work a treat..

Havent had one prob. (touch wood).
DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
That Serato Nike shit is some fly shit mofos! I want it!!
Fear my latest tune.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Pretty cool looking package - but sweatshop kitsch?
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
that packagae is some fine marketing

see to me i dont think traktor can ever have that whole hip image

it looks too nerdy

p.s i sold serato
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
the most important thing about being a dj is to look cool. it's the reason i love mucking around with music and the reason i got all my business cards made up. as soon as i saw that serato pack i sold my TS to a mate and have ordered that pack. can't wait to rock around in that clobber
the tasmanian connection

johnjay +

Times thanked
<
dont only mobile djs have business cards?
Page 3 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »