The DJ Booth

Post a photo of your DJ setup!!!!

Tools
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<
Nice setup Fanj! Bet those Vafs sound great

BBC, she's lovely, you rotary whore! You've still got a bozak and rane don't ya?
Fanj +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by seth111

^When we havin a party at your place dude, thats the coolest party room haha

Cheers its like 6 m by 5 m so what you can't see is a couch and opposite is the fridge next to the bar with double sliding doors leading out to outdoor setting area!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC

Nice! Hows the iso? Where did you get the VU? OS? That's what you need Truba, a big ass rackable one like that, a Studio Line or an American Audio.

I really like the Iso it adds a great feel to the music and especially with the 4 way. being able to control the sub is very effective. I know there has been many different comments about it on wave about it being not 100% kill but it actually is (on my system anyway) As for the VU grabbed mine off hard to find just under 100 bucks Aus and is very important as discussed with getting unity gain.
E L E C T R O N I C S O U L
Anj @ souncloud - http://soundcloud.com/anj
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/electronicsoul

Last edited by Fanj: 24-Feb-09 at 09:19pm

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanj

The amp is NAD C272 and VAF DC-X speakers

Best gear in this thread, IMO.
Fanj +

Times thanked
<
Wow Spectrum....Big Thanks. Been reading alot of your comments over some time and appreciate your opinion.

Also have improved my cables using Tara labs Prism 300'a.
E L E C T R O N I C S O U L
Anj @ souncloud - http://soundcloud.com/anj
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/electronicsoul
G-TECH +

Times thanked
<
Here's a site I found with lots of set ups

Enjoy

http://www.djresource.eu/Djsets/
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fanj

I really like the Iso it adds a great feel to the music and especially with the 4 way. being able to control the sub is very effective. I know there has been many different comments about it on wave about it being not 100% kill but it actually is (on my system anyway) As for the VU grabbed mine off hard to find just under 100 bucks Aus and is very important as discussed with getting unity gain.

Cool, yeah I could imagine how much fun a 4 way iso would be. And as for leaking, my E&S leaks anyway! They are so bias over there, can't take anything objectively.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Good Doctor

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

Vlammen +

Times thanked
<
Here's mine:

ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC

E&S DJR400 ....drool......

Wow.. awesome mixer dude. Ive always wondered how the cueing works on those mixers? i dont see a cue/mix knob anywhere.. is it split cueing?

Also if you dont mind me asking how much was the mixer? And did it cost much to customize it?
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<
There are little cue buttons just above each channel knob. You can kind of see them above the 4 of each channel knob in the picture. When non are selected, it gives you the master. Nah, no split cue, but you can get a mod for that too.

Yes, mods were expensive, actually, everything about it was expensive! It cost 200 Euro to ship so that gives you a rough pictures.

Quote:

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

brooklyn909 +

waxWaxwax

Times thanked
<
I want an E&S!
Mixes - http://www.purehousemusic.net/brooklyn Heaps of different mixes are available upon request...Pm me or Email jacknhouse@hotmail.com
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i dont see a cue/mix knob anywhere.. is it split cueing?

Is this really seen as standard/necessary. I've never had one, and personally hate it.
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

Is this really seen as standard/necessary. I've never had one, and personally hate it.

the key words are in bold.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^yeah, for sure. That's why I was asking if it was common for people to actually use them..?
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<
haha, i'm just taking the piss.

i personally love it, but i mix in a very odd way, so i dunno whether it's normal for other people to use them.

Quote:

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones

haha, i'm just taking the piss.

i personally love it, but i mix in a very odd way, so i dunno whether it's normal for other people to use them.

I hear you mix like a sick ****... or was that shit ****? meh, I can't remember now.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds´╗┐ we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<
it was shit ****.

=( i'm terrible.

Quote:

JKWITS +

Times thanked
<
I haven't had experience with any mixers except my Denon x1500. I mix only in the headphones the majority of the time to keep my housemates happy and jump between split cue regularly. Is it often the case that you can't split cue i.e. you cue a channel while the sliders down but you can't get the master on one side and the cue channel on the other?

Hope that makes sense
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<
does to me, and i'm not sure, by a funny coincedence, the only three mixers i've used are the rane empath (mine), the rane ttm56, and the same model of denon you have that a friend of mine has (honestly, dunno why that mixer isn't more used, fucking lovely, the faders are great, the pots are nice, it all fits together pretty nicely.. and they can be had quite cheap comparetively to some of the pioneer stuff i've seen that looks really plasticky and cheap).

Quote:

seth111 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlammen

Here's mine:

Vlammen.....i like your large knobs lol
Vlammen +

Times thanked
<
skills +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erbs

my new setup.. sold my old 800's & 600 mixer to the misus' brother. good excuse for some fresh gear

looks amazing
seanw250 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC

There are little cue buttons just above each channel knob. You can kind of see them above the 4 of each channel knob in the picture. When non are selected, it gives you the master. Nah, no split cue, but you can get a mod for that too.

Yes, mods were expensive, actually, everything about it was expensive! It cost 200 Euro to ship so that gives you a rough pictures.

200 Euro, holy shiiiite.

I'm moving to Tokyo next week actually. Is there any cheap gear for the off there?
Check my Beeeeats - http://soundcloud.com/taboobeats
or http://www.youtube.com/user/seanw250
www.myspace.com/taboobeats
SubbyBoy +

Times thanked
<
u will find tokyo to be significantly cheaper.....same as hong kong though...i found these really out of the way places selling dj gear when i was there at those places....
spewingupknives - Is the other cdj used for putting two songs together?

KuRuPTeD - No thats the flux capacitators job.

The CDJ's are used to get it to 88mph.

spewingupknives - .....i cant find any of this simple information anywhere!!
Peter B +

Times thanked
<
Strange. I got back from Hong Kong yesterday and was really disappointed at how expensive everything was (I wanted to buy a nice watch but it turns out the ones that I wanted are cheaper here which I was really surprised about).

I heard while I was there that everything used to be really cheap but its changing now. Maybe I just shopped at the wrong places or its only certain things that are cheaper.
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<
Tokyo is cheaper with most DJ related things, simply because there is much more demand and also because a lot of the stuff is either made in Japan or close by. Some second hand stuff can also be picked up for a steal!!! I got both of my turntable for well under 20 000 yen each , maybe 15 000, which at the time was equivalent to around $150AU. And Vestax equipment is cheap and easily available. Production hardware (e.g. Juno, Roland anything, etc.) can be found quiet easily and relatively cheaply. I'm going to buy a 303 from my local 2nd hand shop up the road next week.

Records are cheap and abundant, any style, any age. There are shops everywhere, stacked FULL of second hand and new vinyl. Second hand records go from anywhere between 100 yen upwards, with the average single going for 600-800 yen. New 12" singles are closer to 1200-1600 yen from what I remember.

But it's only cheaper if you are earning yen. The exchange rate trumps anything, at around 60 yen to the dollar, you are getting rapped big time.

Quote:

dankdj +

Master of all things Dank

Times thanked
<

I'm hoping this isn't too big.

This is a shot of the rig I take to Elevated each week.

I know some parts of it are a little dated but it still works a treat. I'm hoping that I'll be able to upgrade when I come back to the country next year.

In the main box I have a set of Pioneer DJM3000 dual CD-Players, Pioneer CMX-3000 4 channel mixer, Serato inside the box, Macbook (Black) running not only serato but also audio recorder to record my sets, Stanton STR8-150 turntable, (I normally use 2 but as you can see that booth is a little cramped).

Theres also my technics vinyl Bag in the background as well.

Enjoy

DankDJ
KuRuPTeD +

you gonna get raped

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,458 Times in 624 Posts
me rikey

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

That cock is glorious, for the record.

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

i love flashing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

online features dont work when youve got no net connection

dankdj +

Master of all things Dank

Times thanked
<
Whoops, I've had a few people PM me and ask what the laptop stand is.

It's a Stanton Uber stand. For $150 I thought it was a bit steep when I originally bought it. But I havent regretted the purchase since. Very handy. It also has a shelf you can put your Serato, Finalscratch etc box on as well.

You can find them here http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...duct_id=683813

DankDJ
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
those pioneer rack mounts are very underrated

shows you dont NEED cdj1000mk3s
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Soulsonica +

This is an old account.

Times thanked
<
Hey guys - Got a few inquiries about how to actually wire the turntable flight case mod from a page or two back in this thread, so here's a quick schematic detailing how the power, grounding and signal are all handled. Hope this helps.

Black Science
http://www.blackscience.com
Kinky Disco
http://www.kinkydisco.com
Fly
http://www.stlfly.com
SoundCloud
http://www.soundcloud.com/blackscience1200
Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/blackscience1200
MySpace
http://www.myspace.com/blackscience1200
trancemuppet +

muppets everywhere.....

Times thanked
<
ok heres mine
Finally got my turntables and mixer arrive to Sweden from Sydney

Ecler Nuo 5
Stanton St150s
B&W Bookshelf Speakers
Jamo Floor standing speakers
Yamaha Amp
Ikea Mickael Desk
My daughter choosing some tunes

Am having sound quality issues at the mo. Theres a lot of reverb and crackling from the speakers when playing. The TTs are brand new the Ecler was second hand bit 12 months old. I will try and change the mixer cable running to the amp and see how that goes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  • Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version

Name:	Decks.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	30634  Click image for larger version

Name:	decks 2.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	30635  Click image for larger version

Name:	Choosing another fine track.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	30636  
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^reverb from the speakers? As in... not that which is in the tracks?
That's very strange/impossible.

Last edited by ferretrock: 05-Mar-09 at 11:26am

trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
And dude, if you look closely in that last picture, you may just be able to see a ninja is steling your rekkids

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

fakebase +

Times thanked
<
it could be the room.
mainform +

Times thanked
<
Have you figured out where the "reverb" and crackling is actually coming from? Isolate and/or exchange each part of your audio chain, then deal with the culprit. For example, try different speakers with the amplifier, try a different amplifier if possible (borrow one from some friends or something if you've only got that one), plug your iPod straight into the amplifier, try a different mixer, etc ... Then replace/repair/service the thing that's causing the problems.

btw cables have very little effect on the audio quality, unless they've been damaged they're unlikely to make anything sound that much different and definitely not what you're describing. My money's on that amplifier being the problem.
GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trancemuppet

Am having sound quality issues at the mo. Theres a lot of reverb and crackling from the speakers when playing. The TTs are brand new the Ecler was second hand bit 12 months old. I will try and change the mixer cable running to the amp and see how that goes.

This could be your problem.

if u r using the stanton cartridges u got with the turntables, get rid of them, they r horrible, I had sound issues when I started using them when I got my TT the same as yours, used the needles they gave me, ended up chucking them a week later.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

those pioneer rack mounts are very underrated

shows you dont NEED cdj1000mk3s

i had nothing but troubles the only time I've used them. You press play then they'd start play about 2 secs later. Apparently it doesn't normally happen so guess it was doing it to piss me off.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^They worked fine when I used them, but I had no idea how to cue (before I'd ever played on CDJs, and I was playing a club gig ).
Was more like: Press play. "QUICK. PULL UP THE FADER!"
trancemuppet +

muppets everywhere.....

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

^reverb from the speakers? As in... not that which is in the tracks?
That's very strange/impossible.

Thats what I think too. It just sounds really spacey and echos. I can't turn the bass up past a quarter without it booming.

Have tested it via the ipod through the mixer and it sounds better than records though nothing special.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
trancemuppet +

muppets everywhere.....

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrEnNo

if u r using the stanton cartridges u got with the turntables, get rid of them, they r horrible, I had sound issues when I started using them when I got my TT the same as yours, used the needles they gave me, ended up chucking them a week later.

Thats what I am thinking too. Any recommendaions for good Carts? I have no idea....

Hey thanks all for your help too
trancemuppet +

muppets everywhere.....

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by fakebase

it could be the room.

Yeah thats what I thought too. I have moved the speakers out from the wall a bit and have also swapped speakers over and its slightly better. Am now leaning towards the fact that the needles and carts may be cheap and shitty.
trancemuppet +

muppets everywhere.....

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrEnNo

Thanks man. I thinks you have hit the problem on the head. These are my first TTs. Do I need to change the Carts as well as the needles?

Cheers
trancemuppet +

muppets everywhere.....

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainform

Have you figured out where the "reverb" and crackling is actually coming from? Isolate and/or exchange each part of your audio chain, then deal with the culprit. For example, try different speakers with the amplifier, try a different amplifier if possible (borrow one from some friends or something if you've only got that one), plug your iPod straight into the amplifier, try a different mixer, etc ... Then replace/repair/service the thing that's causing the problems.

btw cables have very little effect on the audio quality, unless they've been damaged they're unlikely to make anything sound that much different and definitely not what you're describing. My money's on that amplifier being the problem.

Hey thanks for the long message. I have been doing all those and I think its the needles as pointed out. I have tried swapping speakers, inputing an ipod though the amp then through the mixer. Sound quality is good if I connect ipod straight to amp. Not so good if I put it through the mixer.

Am thinking needles.

Thanks again all!
GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Thanks man. I thinks you have hit the problem on the head. These are my first TTs. Do I need to change the Carts as well as the needles?

Cheers

there are heaps of good carts out there mate, go to the DJ shop and ask, i have found with carts is that the cheaper u go, the more problems u r gonna have, get some good ones.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
tony d +

The Knights who say ‘Ni’

Times thanked
<
Don;t know who's setup this is but damn it's nice.
http://www.soulshine.org
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<
asides from the tables being set up wrong, damn right.

even got a framed copy of de la's eye know! fckn nice!

Quote:

skills +

Times thanked
<
ah its pretty sweet its so neat
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
lol at the mirror to check himself out while mixing...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Thats what I think too. It just sounds really spacey and echos. I can't turn the bass up past a quarter without it booming.

Have tested it via the ipod through the mixer and it sounds better than records though nothing special.

err... that's a feedback loop. Get your speakers up higher and stop them firing into the TTs.
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

lol at the mirror to check himself out while mixing...

I'd say the owner is more paranoid about people sneaking up on him from behind

« Previous Thread Next Thread »