Melbourne - Restaurant Reviews

Page 1 of 12
  Tools
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
Melbourne - Restaurant Reviews
I love the idea of having mini restaurant reviews on itm but i hate the idea of reading a million and one reviews just to find one in a particular state.

Please post your Melbourne Restaurant Reviews here include photos if you can.
Material Girl Says
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
Does no one in Melbourne eat ?

I thought you guys had an abundance of amazing food culture.

Fix up.
Material Girl Says
nettsu +

http://about.me/nettsu

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollbaby

Does no one in Melbourne eat ?

I thought you guys had an abundance of amazing food culture.

Fix up.

we do

we're all too busy eating
i take photos
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
eat with one hand and type with the other.

better yet get your significant other to feed you whilst your typing.

i want to make a trip down to Melbourne in a month or so .. soooo i need some options of places i can sample all kinds of wondrous delights.
Material Girl Says
Megs +

when this drunk wears off i am going to be so hungover

Times thanked
< 48
When i meant to melb in april for the first time I was in awes of the food. was so fantastic

The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog.

Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
share stories immediately if not sooner pls.
Material Girl Says
BambiEyes +

I have no nose

Times thanked
< 0
What kind of food are you after? Budget per meal? Only in the city or the inner fringe suburbs?

Mmm I'm getting hungry thinking about all the places I've been and the meals I've eaten...
Tie me up, tie me down.
Bizzy +

I am the needle in your vein. I am the high you can't sustain.

Times thanked
< 361
Has anyone been to Vue De Monde?

I have heard good things but being the most expensive restaurant in the country I am curious to know how good?
If I told you that I was a pathological liar would you believe me?

smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
Tiamo and Tiamo 2

IMO, these two restaurants are the nicest italian in Lygon Street (and to be honest there is not a lot of competition). They are next to each other and you can order from either. Really cheap, old fashioned, authentic dishes. The atmosphere there is wonderful and it’s always crowded. If it’s full and you need to line up for a table, they’ll serve you some drinks while you wait. My fave dish there is the tortellini with truffle oil. To die for. Other best dish is the hot antipasto selection from Tiamo 2.
Jackie Kennedy would not have camel toe!
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
And if you’ve got room, stop off at Brunetti for hot chocolate and cake. Open til 11pm or so
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzy

I have heard good things but being the most expensive restaurant in the country I am curious to know how good?

Supposed to be unbelievable, but you more go there to be dazzled by the food artistry more than anything else.
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
Dolbaby, if you’re in South Melbourne, pick up some dim sims from the market
BambiEyes +

I have no nose

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by smilla

Tiamo and Tiamo 2

IMO, these two restaurants are the nicest italian in Lygon Street (and to be honest there is not a lot of competition). They are next to each other and you can order from either. Really cheap, old fashioned, authentic dishes. The atmosphere there is wonderful and its always crowded. If its full and you need to line up for a table, theyll serve you some drinks while you wait. My fave dish there is the tortellini with truffle oil. To die for. Other best dish is the hot antipasto selection from Tiamo 2.

I hate Lygon St - the food may be good, but I hate getting harassed and ushered into peoples' restaurants.

I will recommend Jim's Greek Tavern in Collingwood. Awesome casual relaxed atmosphere, entertaining waiters, awesome food. Plus they also have a fridge that you can put your byo slab of beer in.
Tie me up, tie me down.
BambiEyes +

I have no nose

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

And if youve got room, stop off at Brunetti for hot chocolate and cake. Open til 11pm or so

Make sure it's the original Brunetti's on Faraday(?) St. It's heaps bigger and has a better selection of awesome yumminess.
Tie me up, tie me down.
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by BambiEyes

What kind of food are you after? Budget per meal? Only in the city or the inner fringe suburbs?

Mmm I'm getting hungry thinking about all the places I've been and the meals I've eaten...

list everything pls :blush:

i love seafood but i will be going with a non-seafood eater

no budget. as long as it's amazing i dont mind splashing zee cash.

i don't mind if it's not in the city as long as it doesnt take 2 hours to get to.

thanks in advance
Material Girl Says
t a s h +

.eurotrash.

Times thanked
< 0
Melbourne already has specific threads in the Melbourne forum (unless it's been moved) ... I prefer individual cheap eats/best indian/thai/fine dining/cakes/cafes threads than one super thread I have to trawl through.
LADIES, YOU KNOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE A YARD MAN,
HE CAN'T BE A HARD MAN
YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
GUYS, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT TOO...
NOT SURE...?

P O C K E T . R O C K E T
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
oh and desserts. i demand excellent desserts.
Material Girl Says
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by t a s h

Melbourne already has specific threads in the Melbourne forum (unless it's been moved) ... I prefer individual cheap eats/best indian/thai/fine dining/cakes/cafes threads than one super thread I have to trawl through.

link ?

Material Girl Says
BambiEyes +

I have no nose

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollbaby

oh and desserts. i demand excellent desserts.

BlueTrain on Southbank is always good for coffee and cake - if you sit out on the balcony you get a nice view of the city as well. It's also a good place for some decent reasonably priced funky cafe-style eating
Tie me up, tie me down.
BambiEyes +

I have no nose

Times thanked
< 0
Also recommend Ca de Vin next to the GPO
Amici on Chapel St for breakfast
Globe on Chapel St also do a good brekky
Koko black for hot chocolate (don't know if you guys have this place in Sydney)
I have been wanting to go to MoVida for ages, but you have to book well in advance (a week just to be safe). They apparently do kick-ass tapas, and I was going to go there for my birthday, but the max number they'll let you book is 6. I ended up going to Basque (Chapel St) for my fix of Tapas, and it was really good.

Look up any of these places on citysearch for more details. I would tell you about my favourite cheap, tasty, quick chinese place, but I don't want everyone to know about it
Tie me up, tie me down.
andi-luxe +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzy

yep i've been and it is absolutely unbelievable! My favourite restaurant. The food is amazing, service impeccable. Very expensive and not a place i can go to all the time, but i would definitely recommend saving up and going on a special occassion. That's if you can get in.. the waiting list is 3 months long!

Check out this blog for a recent review at Vue de Monde...

http://tummyrumbles.com/2007/06/vue-de-monde.html
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
^^ not true. i just had a look online and they have a few early bookings in the next month or so.
Material Girl Says
andi-luxe +

Times thanked
< 0
Awesome... get in while you can!
navskore +

Neighbours whore

Times thanked
< 2
How is jamie's restaurant - is that still open?
Marshy +

is releasing a book

Times thanked
< 492
I haven't been Navs but have been meaning too now the hub-ub has stopped.

Quote:

I hate Lygon St - the food may be good, but I hate getting harassed and ushered into peoples' restaurants.

I lived off Lygon St for years and it's lacklustre tbh. Average priced food, crowded and over-rated.

Picks of the bunch are Gurkhas Nepalese, and Kake Di Hati for Indian (up the non-offensive end). Note how both of these aren't Italian.

For great Italian I head to a restaurant in Rathdowne St that's name escapes me, but absolutely pwns seafood.
Megs +

Times thanked
< 48
this is not a fancy pants place at all but guys when i was there i discovered this place

central_smurf +

Times thanked
< 9
mecca at southbank is simply devine - middle eastern food and quite reasonable in terms of price

for extravagance and service flowerdrum. the food is absolutely stunning - modern chinese
Megs +

Times thanked
< 48
Hey we (perth) have a chinese place called flowerdrum to! is also excellent

navskore +

Neighbours whore

Times thanked
< 2
I wonder if any of those kids will still be working there now
Theglove +

Tip Top

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Tiamo and Tiamo 2

IMO, these two restaurants are the nicest italian in Lygon Street (and to be honest there is not a lot of competition). They are next to each other and you can order from either. Really cheap, old fashioned, authentic dishes. The atmosphere there is wonderful and its always crowded. If its full and you need to line up for a table, theyll serve you some drinks while you wait. My fave dish there is the tortellini with truffle oil. To die for. Other best dish is the hot antipasto selection from Tiamo 2.

couldnt agree with you more. me and a friend visit tiamo 2 on a regular basis.
If the glove does not fit, it must be shit
HoleInTheWall +

giddy up

Times thanked
< 0
we went out for dinner at Bottega when we were down last...it was beautiful Italian food. http://www.bottega.com.au/home.html
THEHEATH +

ACCESS DENIED.

Times thanked
< 1,133

Quote:

I will recommend Jim's Greek Tavern in Collingwood. Awesome casual relaxed atmosphere, entertaining waiters, awesome food. Plus they also have a fridge that you can put your byo slab of beer in.

Been there once. Was excellent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

I am epileptic, so making fun of other people with epilepsy isn't making fun of people less fortunate.

Also, despite my epilepsy, I daresay I'm more fortunate than you, you condescending prick.

alison87 +

acid evangelist

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshy

I lived off Lygon St for years and it's lacklustre tbh. Average priced food, crowded and over-rated.

Picks of the bunch are Gurkhas Nepalese, and Kake Di Hati for Indian (up the non-offensive end). Note how both of these aren't Italian.

I live off Lygon St too and the best i've had there so far is this wicked minced pork with chili and spring onion thing at Ying Thai 2. Very nice. I also like Inkari for their "homestyle" south-American cooking. Unfortunately Inkari isn't open evenings, which means i hardly go there.
house music is delicious
t a s h +

.eurotrash.

Times thanked
< 0
^Meh I went there last week & it was crap. We were trying to scope out what the int. students were ordering but sadly to no avail.

I live off Lygon too lol & Notti's is the only place I really go. I went to this Turkish/Leb restaurant recently next to Carlton Yacht Club (with an itmer actually!) & didn't really appreciate the belly dancer shakin her bits in my food. But I'm told the shisha there is ... next time ...

Dollbaby - slacker - here are some to look through ...
- Best Pizza Joint in the CBD

- Good Melbourne Restaurants

- Best Indian Restaurants

- Melbourne's Best Meals

- Melbourne's Finest Chip

- Melbourne's Best Burger

- Best Yum Cha in Melbourne

- Best Chinese Food in Melbourne CBD
LADIES, YOU KNOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE A YARD MAN,
HE CAN'T BE A HARD MAN
YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.
GUYS, YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT TOO...
NOT SURE...?

P O C K E T . R O C K E T
central_smurf +

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

im from sydney and ive been there
sooooooooo good!!
THEHEATH +

ACCESS DENIED.

Times thanked
< 1,133
^Nice work tash

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

I am epileptic, so making fun of other people with epilepsy isn't making fun of people less fortunate.

Also, despite my epilepsy, I daresay I'm more fortunate than you, you condescending prick.

BootyCamp +

very hungry

Times thanked
< 3
If you come to Melbourne, go to Moroccan Soup Bar on St Georges Rd, Fitzroy North. The menu is vegetarian, but is is simply divine and only ends up costing you about $40 for two people - entree, main and sweets/coffee. There are heaps of reviews on it on the net.

Also try David and Camy in Chinatown for Dumplings - they are yummo!

And there is also a Japanese crepe place near MElbourne Central Station called Ichipan where you can get a Crepe filled with yummy things like fruit, brownies, custard and cream.
alison87 +

acid evangelist

Times thanked
< 0
La Notte ain't bad, it's the only Italian i go to on Lygon, mainly because they have modern Australian dishes too. Is that the same as the Notti's you're talking about Tash? BTW let me know the name of the belly dancer place, if she's attractive enough i don't think i'll care about the food

Not too hip on the Moroccan soup bar. They have great coffee but the meals are kinda lacking. You've had one salty chickpea thing with sour cream, you've had them all. Not that it's not yummy - on the contrary, it's delicious - but you stuff yourself on chickpeas and an hour later you're hungry again. Just didn't feel satisfying to me.
house music is delicious
Marshy +

is releasing a book

Times thanked
< 492

Quote:

Originally Posted by central_smurf

mecca at southbank is simply devine - middle eastern food and quite reasonable in terms of price

for extravagance and service flowerdrum. the food is absolutely stunning - modern chinese

Go to Mecca on Newport though - totally reinvent the pizza - you won't think of it the same at a top class restaurant again - fucking classic.

Last edited by Marshy: 26-Jul-07 at 03:18am

nettsu +

Times thanked
< 4
ok
I love food
and thankfully I also have friends that love food

so lets rock & roll

I love Soul Mama @ St Kilda
Seriously fantastic kickass vegeterian fare - always busy - great vibe most of the times we've been there and its reasonably priced. And a lot of non-vegeterians love the place too - www.soulmama.com.au

Chocolate Buddha (Fed Square) was created by the same folks that started Soul Mama (there was a bit of hooha because Soul Mama is a restaurant with a cause and Chocolate Buddha does serve meat...) fantastic japanese food - and grab the bento box if its on special ^__^ (the only downside is the communal seating but I guess that can add to the atmosphere)

Lamaro's in South Melbourne is also a favourite (hell its within staggering distance of home) - its owned by the head chef of Taxi, however interestingly, the dining room we weren't really impressed with, for the price they charge the service should be better, if you can grab a meal in the pub, some of the staff there are fantastic and its also a really nice place to grab a drink. Highly recommend the snapper with black beans & chilli (cuisine is very fusion based)

The Railway Hotel in South Melbourne also does good honest pub food - big fan of the chickpea claypots

Good Thai can be found @ Sugercane in South Melbourne (go the eggplant or any of the seafood curries) oh and the fishcakes - THE FISHCAKES!!!!! - or sweet basil in prahran - any of the green curries and the sogu pudding.

That'll do for now
I have to do some work ^__^
i take photos

Last edited by nettsu: 26-Jul-07 at 08:52am

Anselm +

objects to ITMbook

Times thanked
< 1,473
Cheap:
Pacific BBQ Seafood Hut (something like that) on Toorak rd neahr Chapel st. Fantastic Chinese, particularly the seafood.

Good: Richmond Hill Cafe and Larder:
It was started by Stephanie Alexander and has it's own fromargerie attached. They only open for dinner on Friday's once a month and you go, eat until you burst, then roll into the chesse shop and select whatever you want for after dinner. freaking awesome

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmondtigers

His father had a sex change when his mum wanted a kid.

He mutilated his vagina not long afterwards.

To this day it is still in bad shape.

nettsu +

Times thanked
< 4
Greci @ Southbank - we had dinner there a while back - not overly impressed to be honest - found it a tad overpriced and the service was really quite average, and because we had a junior with us it was really quite hard to get anything kid friendly off the menu that she didn't automatically go yuk at...

Tutto Bene - we had dinner here last weekend - its renowned for its risotto, we had dinner @ 6:30 and it was already packed (that has to say something) - i had the el presidente - it was seriously seriously delicious - so simple and yet so complex flavourwise... the bf's seafood risotto was also quite nice - I love it when he gets chatty during dinner - means I can steal some of his food ^__^
i take photos
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
risotto.

omg

i must try it.

i love love love risotto.

<3
Material Girl Says
Bearza +

Times thanked
< 0
How about a Melbourne institution ..... Pellegrini's Espresso Bar on Bourke St. Authentic Italian pasta and great coffee.

A couple of others to try (a bit more upmarket) : The WIllows on St Kilda Road or Medditeraneo Grill in Albert Park - both do fantastic steaks.....and desserts!!!
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
A couple of restaurants I'm keen to try are St Anns on Rathdowne, Ezard, and Grossi Florentino. Anyone been?

Anyone looking for top notch Lebanese should try Ablas. The ten course banquet is only $40 and is just gorgeous. Said by many to be the best lebanese restaurant in Australia.
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
Went to the supper inn again last night. God the stuffed bean curd and stuffed scallops there just rock my world

Also, how good is the bratwurst roll from the VicMarkets, with loads of cheese, onion, sauce and mustard
Marshy +

is releasing a book

Times thanked
< 492

Quote:

Originally Posted by nettsu

Chocolate Buddha (Fed Square) was created by the same folks that started Soul Mama (there was a bit of hooha because Soul Mama is a restaurant with a cause and Chocolate Buddha does serve meat...) fantastic japanese food - and grab the bento box if its on special ^__^ (the only downside is the communal seating but I guess that can add to the atmosphere)

Good call.

Took a date there, date didn't go so well but the food was fucking fab. They made me actually like eggplant.
Moppy +

if so same so

Times thanked
< 0
Gas at South Melbourne has the best breakfast, they have award winning french toast and I must say I totally agree with that.

Soul Mamma is awesome, a fantastic location as well.
nettsu +

Times thanked
< 4
Arki (I think it is) its where all the channel 7 folks hang out in South Melbourne does the best Chai and I don't like Chai but its the best Chai seriously

and the eggs ain't bad either
i take photos
smilla +

OTT UTT

Times thanked
< 8
Do you mean Arkibar on Coventry St?
Page 1 of 12

« Previous Thread Next Thread »