Sydney - Restaurant Reviews

Page 1 of 44
  Tools
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
Sydney - Restaurant Reviews
Please post your Sydney Restaurant Reviews here. Include pics if possible.

Make me hungry NOW !!
Material Girl Says
adamhatfield +

Times thanked
< 34
Two of my favourite sydney restaurants at the moment are:

Bentley in Surrey Hills
http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydn...aurant_bar.htm

Fix St James
http://www.fixstjames.com.au
http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/fix_st_james.htm

Both have great wine lists, really different from the norm and also both have great menu's lots of variety and really clever size dishes.

Thoroughly recommend them both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

anything bigger tended to be crap and only bigger because theyre bigger, but not actually better and bigger at the same time therefore not better just bigger?

Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
< 39
Went to The Boathouse last weekend in Glebe, Sydney.

Great location and decor, but would really excel in summer during the day or early evening.

The food was excellent but pricey as expected. Mostly seafood. The service was good with lots of little touches.

The clientele are generally quite conservative, kinda North-Shore rugby types and rich accountants.

I prefer something like the Icebergs as its a bit less formal and more relaxing.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.... Lord Byron
LLsparks +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 0
^Are you talking about the restaurant at Blackwattle Bay? I live right near there, been meaning to go for a while.

Last night we went to Darbar Indian on Glebe Pt Rd. Some of the best curry Ive had, including the ones I ate in London. For entree we shared Lamb mince rice pancakes - they came with an assortment of dips/spice. For the main we ordered Butter Chicken (which is supposed to be the best in Sydney ro something) - was really good, but a tad bit sweet. We also ordered lamb shanks which were amazing! The lamb was so tender and the curry walked the perfect line of spice and heat without going overboard. Had rice and plain and garlic naan to go with and Kingfisher beer.

KEEMA DOSA
Golden Brown Rice Pancake rolled with mouth watering spiced lamb mince served with chutney and sambar
LAMB SHANKS HYDERABADI
Diced lamb shanks stewed in an unusual but smooth and medium spiced garam masala flavored with onion, cumin, fenugreek seeds and fresh curry leaves...

The restaurant is in this cave like room and the best bit is we were seated next to eachother on this cushioned bench. I hate when we go out to dinner and are placed at opposite ends of the table a million miles from eachother.
Also it was in the Entertainment book and we got %25 off - bargain!
youngman +

loves haters

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitchen

Went to The Boathouse last weekend in Glebe, Sydney.

Great location and decor, but would really excel in summer during the day or early evening.

The food was excellent but pricey as expected. Mostly seafood. The service was good with lots of little touches.

The clientele are generally quite conservative, kinda North-Shore rugby types and rich accountants.

I went to the Boathouse last night for my Mum's 50th. I had the famous Snapper Pie and have to say it really did live up to expectations. The service was first class and the wine list varied and interesting.

Very expensive but recommended.

True comment about the clientelle

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave1986

hats off to youngman for a stellar review!

Read my writings here
Bizzy +

I am the needle in your vein. I am the high you can't sustain.

Times thanked
< 361

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamhatfield

Two of my favourite sydney restaurants at the moment are:

Bentley in Surrey Hills
http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydn...aurant_bar.htm

Fix St James
http://www.fixstjames.com.au
http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/fix_st_james.htm

Both have great wine lists, really different from the norm and also both have great menu's lots of variety and really clever size dishes.

Thoroughly recommend them both.

I definitely agree with you about Bentley! I have had the degustation there a couple of times and both times were excellent. They have the sommielier of the year there so the wine is always matched perfectly!
If I told you that I was a pathological liar would you believe me?

adamhatfield +

Times thanked
< 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzy

I definitely agree with you about Bentley! I have had the degustation there a couple of times and both times were excellent. They have the sommielier of the year there so the wine is always matched perfectly!

Good taste obviously

The other restaurant is actually owned by a bloke who used to be sommelier / wine manager for Forty one restaurant in Sydney and Bibendum in London, the wines there far outclassed my meagre knowledge.

Quote:

anything bigger tended to be crap and only bigger because theyre bigger, but not actually better and bigger at the same time therefore not better just bigger?

adamhatfield +

Times thanked
< 34
I've another one I just thought of.

In Newtown, Oscillate Wildly, amazing food, great service, BYO, & cheap.

The only downside is getting in there, I've foudn you need to book a fair bit in advance.

Quote:

krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 87
A second for Oscillate Wildly. It's cosy, casual yet the food and service is still the standard of fine dining.

And for the price it's an absolute steal of an experience.

Any wonder it is booked so far ahead. You're looking at about a 3 month wait at the moment.

I stick up the long long thumb of that tallest man in China for this place. An absolute must do.

k_x oxo
There is no love sincerer than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish writer.

Check out my blog
www.idevour.wordpress.com
Chiapet +

Times thanked
< 0
Yes, I'll put my hand up for Oscillate Wildly. I went there a few weeks ago and the service was excellent and the food amazing...

I'm going to try my luck at booking a table there for sometime in the coming months..

Also I would like to reccommend Bazaar Bier Cafe in St Leonards for great Czech food and the most amazing Saffron & marscopone infused mash ever!
Homer: Fame was like a drug, but what was even more like a drug were the drugs.
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiapet

the most amazing Saffron & marscopone infused mash ever!

WANT !!

p.s. i am definitely going to try Oscillate Wildly. i just read a few reviews and it's outrageously inexpensive. 50 for three courses.
Material Girl Says
Sylva Mivva +

fighting off downies

Times thanked
< 94

Quote:

Yes, I'll put my hand up for Oscillate Wildly. I went there a few weeks ago and the service was excellent and the food amazing...

I'm going to try my luck at booking a table there for sometime in the coming months..

Also I would like to reccommend Bazaar Bier Cafe in St Leonards for great Czech food and the most amazing Saffron & marscopone infused mash ever!

that reminds me, i still have to check that Bazaar place out as I am just around the corner from there at work.
Chiapet +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollbaby

WANT !!

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydn..._beer_cafe.htm

Chiapet +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sylva Mivva

that reminds me, i still have to check that Bazaar place out as I am just around the corner from there at work.

oh yes, we had this conversation in a previous thread..

which reminds me.. I tried out 3 Gypsies and really enjoyed it
Sylva Mivva +

fighting off downies

Times thanked
< 94

Quote:

oh yes, we had this conversation in a previous thread..

which reminds me.. I tried out 3 Gypsies and really enjoyed it

it is nice isn't it?

did the chick bring out more food than you ordered?
Chiapet +

Times thanked
< 0
No she didn't.. I was keeping an eye out for it as well.. There were only 3 of us eating, so it would have been easy to notice if there was more food on our table..

Also, I wanted to add, Newtons Cociana's for Mexican food.

and Maggios in Cammeray for Breakfast.

Also Aqua Dining in McMahons Point for dinner..
Bizzy +

Times thanked
< 361

Quote:

The only downside is getting in there, I've foudn you need to book a fair bit in advance.

I have been dying to go there! My bf is friends with the chefs there and I have heard nothing but praise about the place!

Having a boyfriend who is a chef (at Tetsuyas - I may as well gloat! :blush: ) it makes it hard to go out for dinner as he is always working and when he isn't most restaurants are closed.

Oh yeah, Tetsuyas is awesome! I took my bf there for our anniversary which was fortunately before he started working there! I did have to book 6 months in advance and it did cost a lot but it was amazing! My bf even thought it was flawless and he is the fussiest ever!

krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 87
Sounds like your bf is really really into fine food... and the creation of it Biz. Lucky you!

Dank Street Depot is another top recommendation from me.

I'd also suggest going with a group on one of their tasting plate nights so you get to try lots and lots of their yummy things. I went with about 8 people. I think we ordered about 8-10 dishes plus wine and the evening cost us about $70 each.

Every single thing there is ballisimo.

k_x oxo

Check out my blog
Bizzy +

Times thanked
< 361
Actually, Clayton (my bf) went to Dank Street Depot a couple of weeks ago with his mates for lunch and he said that it was good!

krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 87

Quote:

Actually, Clayton (my bf) went to Dank Street Depot a couple of weeks ago with his mates for lunch and he said that it was good!

mmmm. they do an amazing melt in your mouth beef casserole type thing served with beetroot and ashed goats cheese which I stole from them and make something similar at home.

k_x oxo

Check out my blog
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
my sister recommended Dank Street Depot as well.

looks like i need to go there too.

so much food. so little time.
Material Girl Says
Bizzy +

Times thanked
< 361
We will find the time Lanibears! With Garry leaving I am sure there will be less bending and more eating!

I have also heard good things about Foveaux (on Foveaux St Surry Hills), Sailors Thai (at the rocks) and Longrain.

Oh and we went to Sugaroom at Pyrmont for lunch a few weeks ago which was also really nice!

krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 87
They have this special boutique beer they sell in a gorgeous buddah shaped bottle designed by a famous Australian Designer (I forget who). They'll probably show it to you but if they don't, ask for it. Many people buy it just to take the bottle home.

k_x oxo

Check out my blog
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
yesh i heard Foveaux and longrain are <3

my sister went to sailors thai and said it was nice but she didn't rave about it.

double dinner dates pls.

:blush:
Material Girl Says
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
< 39

Quote:

Ross, who owns and runs Oscillate, is a mate of mine. We played soccer against each other for years! He's about to open another restaurant in Stanmore. Seafood focussed and a little less fine dining than Oscillate, and a bigger place too.
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
< 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by krafty_x

[color=deeppink]Dank Street Depot is another top recommendation from me.

yeh, great place. Chris from High-Jinks used to work there. We put on a dinner/dance party there one Saturday night. Was great! Jared, the owner, was very accommodating.
onetallpoppy +

mutcity

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Gee, your really cool! Thanks for your relevant imput!

oh biz biz. you're an independent person. dont let clayton rule your life
Pigman +

Easily I'm approaching, ain't no joking...

Times thanked
< 4
onetallpoppy, I'm not sure what your agenda is, but please stop trying to derail this thread with your snide remarks.
Rider Survival
LLsparks +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 0
We've tried to go to Longrain before... unfortuantely they dont take bookings and when we arrived at just after 7 the place was packed with about 30 people waiting for tables a the bar, they advised a 2 hour wait. The drinks looked awesome there though!

Had the degustation a couple of months ago at a place called Pello in Darlinghurst, was quite spectacutlar.

The Malaya at Darling Harbour does amazing szechuan eggplant. and a great lychee cocktail. mmm

Went to Garfish at Kirribilli for brekky. I had a open faced spanner crab omlette, that had whole grape tomatos siting in it and my bf had cod brandade pikelet with poached egg and hollandaise. We both agreed one of the most unique breakfasts we had ever had.

Tried Bill and Tony's, my god the schnitzel was the size of the plate almost. And gotta love the free cordial.
krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 87

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitchen

yeh, great place. Chris from High-Jinks used to work there. We put on a dinner/dance party there one Saturday night. Was great! Jared, the owner, was very accommodating.

Yeah I know. He was working when I was there which was a nice surprise.

Shame he's not there anymore.

I went with a bunch of mates but Sash is so sick of hearing about it we must go together one day.

k_x oxo

Check out my blog
Bizzy +

Times thanked
< 361

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLsparks

We've tried to go to Longrain before... unfortuantely they dont take bookings and when we arrived at just after 7 the place was packed with about 30 people waiting for tables a the bar, they advised a 2 hour wait. The drinks looked awesome there though!

Had the degustation a couple of months ago at a place called Pello in Darlinghurst, was quite spectacutlar.

The Malaya at Darling Harbour does amazing szechuan eggplant. and a great lychee cocktail. mmm

Went to Garfish at Kirribilli for brekky. I had a open faced spanner crab omlette, that had whole grape tomatos siting in it and my bf had cod brandade pikelet with poached egg and hollandaise. We both agreed one of the most unique breakfasts we had ever had.

Tried Bill and Tony's, my god the schnitzel was the size of the plate almost. And gotta love the free cordial.

My boss went to The Malaya recently and loved it!

I haven't been to Bill and Tony's in years and years! I can't even remember where it is?

My flatmate and I recently went to Makoto (sushi bar) on the cnr of Pitt and Liverpool and it was awesome! We walked out completely stuffed and didn't hold back in the expensive plates and it still was only about $50 all up.

LLsparks +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 0
yeah the Malaya was good, it's frickn massive as well so it's a good option if you haven't booked anywhere.

Bill and Tony's is on Stanley St in Darlinghurst
krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 87
Personally I've always thought the Italian was more authentic at Cafe Giotto just a couple of doors up (or right next door) to Bill and Tony's.

Very keen to check out Makoto ASAP. Can you BYO there and/or are they licensed?

k_x oxo

Check out my blog
Bizzy +

Times thanked
< 361
Krafty - Not sure if it is BYO? The website is www.masuya.com.au. They have a few locations!

Is Bill and Tony's still dirt cheap?

sickbuoy +

ill floating device

Times thanked
< 106
sugar room in pyrmont is good. cafe morso on jones bay wharf is good. assiette in surry hills is good. assiette have a really good degustation and wine list.
Chiapet +

Times thanked
< 0
Oh also a few more to add

Prime under the GPO - best steak every.. my mouth is watering just thinking about it

Bistro CBD - beautiful food and excellent service.. They had a monthly desert special of ice wine when I was there.. yumo

Flying Squirrel in Bondi - The lamb skewers are amazing and also the dessert platter is good. Its quite small so you will need to book.
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Prime under the GPO - best steak every.. my mouth is watering just thinking about it

Material Girl Says
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
i can't say i am a fan of bistro cbd. i thought it was average and over priced for what they served.

i have loads of reviews to do and photos to post. reporting back soon.
Material Girl Says
Bizzy +

Times thanked
< 361
Lani - I have never known anyone to take as many picstures of their food as you do!

Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
i like to share.

:blush:
Material Girl Says
krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 87

Quote:

Krafty - Not sure if it is BYO? The website is www.masuya.com.au. They have a few locations!

Is Bill and Tony's still dirt cheap?

Yeah I've checked out their web site and couldn't find anything about alcomahol.

It's been about 8 years since I went to Bill and Tony's. Giotto was always cheaper and better I thought.

k_x oxo

Check out my blog
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
it could be byo. i've never seen anyone drinking alcohol there.
Material Girl Says
Lima +

Times thanked
< 39
Went to Ortolan on the weekend , i was impressed, i would prefer to go on a weeknight next time as you can BYO and it wouldnt be such a wait for mains

http://www.smh.com.au/news/restauran...266753557.html

I have heard good things about Strangers with Candy in East Redfern, anyone been?
onetallpoppy +

mutcity

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pigman

onetallpoppy, I'm not sure what your agenda is, but please stop trying to derail this thread with your snide remarks.

wor governor, just dont wanna see this pretty little foroom go the way of general like with all them chit chat 'freds
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetallpoppy

wor governor, just dont wanna see this pretty little foroom go the way of general like with all them chit chat 'freds

That's so far from the truth and you know it. All you want to do is single her out and you're being a snide rude little troll in the process.
Did you notice that other itmers (Spitchen and Krafty) happened to mention people they knew or are you too pre-occupied stalking Bizzy?
There is no need for any of your inane comments. The only person ruining this pretty little forum is you.
Material Girl Says
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
< 1
she is simply proud of his achievements and wants to gloat a little. i see no harm in it.

if you find it so irritating all you need to do is block her and all her posts about her chef boyfriend will disappear.
Material Girl Says
Xpose +

huh?

Times thanked
< 0
he's a chef?

Pancho +

boom.

Times thanked
< 189
whos a chef ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by write my name

No offense brain surgeon - but what hard facts do you have that cousins has ever done a drug?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm

Pies genuinely no good this year

Marshy +

is releasing a book

Times thanked
< 484
He's a chef.

Chiapet +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dollbaby

Dollbaby... that steak.. looking forward to more photos from your culinary escapades.

I don't know Bizzy personally but who cares if she mentions her boy/f in a few posts.. I wish my boy/f could cook!

.......Now lets get back to talking about food
Page 1 of 44

« Previous Thread Next Thread »