Page 1 of 2
  Tools
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,088 Times in 611 Posts
"Can you play..." requests :mad:
"Nah sorry, I don't have that one..." Just doesn't seem to cut it anymore, and it really pisses me of when people request stuff.

Share with me some of your stories...

Have you ever been excited by having someone request something good??

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerry2234 View Post

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

Bekay +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
"if you can't sing it I aint playin it"

* chances are I aint gonna play it anyway, it's just funny to see drunk people trying to sing stupid shit like destination calibre
Ben Kelly
I
www.myspace.com/benkellydj
Bekay +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
"if you can't sing it I aint playin it"

* chances are I aint gonna play it anyway, it's just funny to see drunk people trying to sing stupid shit like destination calibre
Ben Kelly
I
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<
Hate that song SOOOO much!!

I had an argument with a girl recently, who wanted me to play early 80's remixes and I just stared at her and told her I don't have that kind of music.

She replied "You're not working with me here, you're a pretty bad DJ" To which I replied "Go to a karaoke bar".

Quote:

People need to learn how fucking dance rather then playing with there phones rocking side to side

cheekyage +

Times thanked
<
As a birthday present one year a friend bought me a Technics/DMC t-shirt that says NO REQUESTS on the front of it.

All u gotta do is point to the shirt!

Works wonders
Soul Devine live broadcast every other Thursday from 7-8PM SYD/10-11AM UK exclusively on SSRadio. | wegotsoul.com.au
Dollbaby +

material girl

Times thanked
<
mr monies can you play me some beyonce pls.
Material Girl Says
BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<
Show me how you work it Lani, and then YES :blush:

Quote:

BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyage

As a birthday present one year a friend bought me a Technics/DMC t-shirt that says NO REQUESTS on the front of it.

Works wonders

WANT!!

Quote:

johnjay +

Times thanked
<
why be ****s for
holtless +

Look at 'im go!

Times thanked
<
some dDJs are happy to do a request, if a request actually fits in with the set.

E.g., my best mate and I were watching a hip hop set recently. My best mate is a MAJOR hip hop head. He walked up to the DJ and said, "Dude, you've gotta drop such and such a track next", the DJ looked at him and goes, "Fuck bro! that's a fucking awesome idea!" went straight to his crate, found the vinyl, whipped it out, dropped it next.

He was more than happy to drop the suggested/requested track, cuz it fit in with his set so well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooky

I'm more offended about the fluro headband comment yo, that shits not cool, i have taste, and an impecable dress sense

Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
^^ That situation is far and few between.

JohnJay, its not that we are try to be arses its just once in a while it would be wonderful if people would take the ride with you.
This and the fact that many of us really take notice of whats going on and put quite a lot of effort into every gig we play.

Especially if the requests are the same shit that they have listened to 4 times an hour on "insert major commercial radio station here"
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
dj_terence +

TK

Times thanked
<
I got asked for Khe Sahn a couple months ago
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

chubba +

chubbs deluxe

Times thanked
<
I get "can u play derb" or "do you have dance on cocaine lsd ecstacy" all the fkn time

And then when I reply "no" they stand there and go "oh umm ok, can you play ummmm aww ummm that track"..
"If you put a cat infront of a speaker pumping this track out, it would die for sure."
NexusBreed pres. NEXUS [Trance|Tech|Prog]
www.chubbsdeluxe.com
dj_terence +

TK

Times thanked
<
what the hell is a derb
°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

elwood_dj +

lets play some breaks!

Times thanked
<
my reply to requests: " sorry i dont have thyat on vinyl "
SYDNEY BREAKBEAT

upcoming:
04.feb - Jackin' presents KINKY MOVEMENT [UK] @ Goldfish

free downloads
soundcloud - dj elwood
facebook - dj elwood
facebook - brad elwood
Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyage

Works wonders

And on the back, write the following -

NOW PISS OFF

works more wonders
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
juhokusti +

Times thanked
<
Iīve had a few Villalobos/Plastikman/Heartthrob requests propably īcos they are the best known artists and thatīs fine because they go with the set and I can fit them in. But I donīt get a lot of requests anyway, but if I do get a stupid one, I just tell them to go to another club/bar and if they donīt stop I just tend to loose my patience. People can be such idiots.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Quick you'd better abuse the audience. How dare they ask the human jukebox for a tune? Must be soul destroying.
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
I have only ever played at parties so I dont think I can really give the best feedback......but....its all a matter of if the shoe fits....I once had a chick come and ask me to play some R&B (one genre of music I cant not fucking stand) while the night was really young and I was just mucking about with some tech/proggy stuff and chatting with my mates, I just told her "maybe later when there are people who are drunk enough to enjoy it...." didnt go down to well, but then she was happy when I played a remix of "let me clear my throat" later (I had to do it as she came back about 10 times asking for R&B!!)

I guess from my very limited experience of playing at friends parties I can only say that you cant discount a request if there are more than a few peoiple asking for it, maybe your radar of how to read a crowd is off that night and everyone there wants to hear something different to what your givin. But yeah thats just my thought.

But the most classic thing I have ever seen with a request was at one of these parties I was playing at, a mate of mine was stood next to me just chatting when a very good looking girl walked up and requested put your hands up for detroit (remember that song....) and the mate of mine, who was quite drunk, decided to whip his cock out and demand she suck his dick before I would play that song.....she was very taken aback....funny thing was I played the dirty south remix of it about an hour later to please her (hey she was hot and im a bloke after all!!!) and she spent the whole song guesturing to my mate to come give her some cock....was a very funny experince....
MissAnge +

She has the blood of reptile just underneath her skin..

Times thanked
<
Urgh, requests!

That totally takes the fun out of spotting
Plus, if they're a DJ that suits your style then wouldn't you want to hear something you cant play at home? New music ftw!

+1 with "I dont have it"
Or "I'm a DJ, not a jukebox"
...what does that even mean?!
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMoney

Yeah, several times...but those pale in comparrison to wealth of retarded requests you get.

Was warming up for Phil K in Wellington a month or so back at Wellys finest dance club and had some chick ask if "is it rude to request some pop?"
"Sorry, but inside this club, yes, yes it is!"
*turns monitors back up*

Don't mind filling a request of it's a request which makes sense to what's being played. And if they request it, and it's a track I have, it's obviously a track I love, so no harm in dropping it and making their night, eh?
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Tool

Quick you'd better abuse the audience. How dare they ask the human jukebox for a tune? Must be soul destroying.

I've only ever gone that far once, and it was because the annoying bitch was asking for A) something we can dance to (while I was playing house) and B) some britney spears and C) other pop-crap! And she wouldn't leave me alone, hassling me in the middle of a mix etc. She just didn't have a clue. Eventually I kinda lost it and said "Look, I've been asked to DJ in here by the managers of this bar and asked to play this type of music. If you don't like this type of music, take it up with the manager or move along to a any one of the numerous bars which play the shit music you want to hear!"
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
cheekyage +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik

And on the back, write the following -

NOW PISS OFF

works more wonders

HAHAHAHA

Perfect Sherik!
Soul Devine live broadcast every other Thursday from 7-8PM SYD/10-11AM UK exclusively on SSRadio. | wegotsoul.com.au
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

"Nah sorry, I don't have that one..." Just doesn't seem to cut it anymore, and it really pisses me of when people request stuff.

*points to records and lack of CD player*

i'm only playing what's in that bag there

oh ... and if you don't like people hassling you with requests ... give up being a Dj
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
teddyg +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Show me how you work it Lani, and then YES :blush:

SIZE="7"]I AM A MASSIVE LANI FAN. I HAVE A SIGNED PHOTO OF HER AND ME. SAME LANI? HAHAHA[/size][/size]

I play requests all the time. anything, from anyone. i even play the nutbush with kris brown run it accapella ove the top, " run it run it, nutbush city limits" smashed it into boys, looking for love - tV WHAT! TV ROCK CMOOON ahahahaha

weapon
[size=+2][/SIZE

Tim Galvin is "the answer"
timmyb +

damn good cherry pie

Times thanked
<
No, your not a jukebox. Well not really.
Yes, as a punter we want to hear what you have to play.

But…

Surely if a very keen punter comes along who actually knows their shit and asks for a solid request that you did have in your possession, then why not consider dropping it for them? Seriously people.
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Really depend of the Venue, people, age bracket.

When you do a house party, and pretending to be Tiesto in front of people from 1 month old to 85 years old, you probably will have a hard time playing your shit.

If you are in a club that plays house and a bitch just ask you for Snoop Dog, I can understand the frustration.

D1
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
bitch eh?
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyb

No, your not a jukebox. Well not really.
Yes, as a punter we want to hear what you have to play.

But…

Surely if a very keen punter comes along who actually knows their shit and asks for a solid request that you did have in your possession, then why not consider dropping it for them? Seriously people.

I have not done much statistic about it, but most of the punters don't know shit, the only one that would know is probably another DJ having a night off.

In my opinion most people only know what they hear on radio and see on TV....I could be wrong....

D1
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
The frustration comes from:

1. All the time you spent digging out your toons and its not good enough for that bitch
2. Who's the fucking DJ? Me or You
3. The bitch wants to ruin whatever set/mood you are trying to build.
4. Disturbing while you mix

Did you notice it is almost always a bitch...and it could be 6 months later and it is always her.

D1
Marc Us +

House & Funk DJ

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by holtless

some dDJs are happy to do a request, if a request actually fits in with the set.

E.g., my best mate and I were watching a hip hop set recently. My best mate is a MAJOR hip hop head. He walked up to the DJ and said, "Dude, you've gotta drop such and such a track next", the DJ looked at him and goes, "Fuck bro! that's a fucking awesome idea!" went straight to his crate, found the vinyl, whipped it out, dropped it next.

He was more than happy to drop the suggested/requested track, cuz it fit in with his set so well.

yeah i agree.

im happy to be polite to hear what they have to say. but if its a shit suggestion, i just say no... politely

i hate when people want to LOOK in your record bag. as if they would find anything the actually would know. THAT PISSES ME OFF.

F%^k off u pests
Tikki Tembo
www.tikkitembomusic.com
social media: #tikkitembomusic
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
dude.
SparkyMark +

Gotta play through this HUGE backlog of games!

Times thanked
<
Weirdest request I ever got was for Public Domain during a Progressive set... The guy was absolutely trashed, but fortunately was a happy camper and whisked off when I laughed it off.
FIND ME AT:
DJmarkMajor.net :: Soundcloud :: SYSTEMATIC :: Facebook

UPCOMING EVENTS:
Sub-Zero Frequencies - June 12th @ Riverview Boat Club
bootytronic +

Times thanked
<
I agree with Pro Tool, you guys are idiots. The vast, vast, vast majority of people who come up to you when you're playing just want to have a yarn and music seems like an obvious opening gambit for a dude that's playing records in a bar. They're usually not too fazed if you politely turn them down and steer the convo off somewhere else. If you make the effort to work out where they're coming from musically, you can often find something you've got with you that makes their day ... which is what it's all about. If you're lucky they'll buy you a beer half the time.

The overzealous requesters tend to be always be aggressive, overdressed girls who can't stand the fact there's someone else in the room getting more attention than them. You can see these ones coming a mile off because they always make their innappropriate requests when you're midway through that golden track that's finally made the whole room get up and dance. I usually just tell them their hair looks nice and that gives them something to go back to their friends and bitch about how the dj hit on them. Once you know them for what they are, they're easy to deal with. One of their friend's might even be cute.
www.paradiselost.net.au

.~* Mystic Boogie *~ .
beattun +

Times thanked
<
ill never forget doing a birthday party in richmond as a favour for someone and the birthday girl comes in with a stack of lionel richie and bannarama cds, i just retired to the bar
Ham and eggs - A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by beattun

ill never forget doing a birthday party in richmond as a favour for someone and the birthday girl comes in with a stack of lionel richie and bannarama cds, i just retired to the bar

She probably wanted you to play "all night long" but somehow you and her it was not like "love in the first degree", I am sure you wanted to throw her "dancing on the ceiling". Looks like it was a "say you, say me" game. She must not have been a "ballerina girl" nor a "Venus", so surely you did not expect "endless love". But she was "stuck on you" "ready or not", you wanted her to "sail on" to go "dance with a stranger", to find the "promise land", but she was asking all the time "do it to me", and you were saying "do not disturb" I am mixing. I don't know what " a trick of the night" you did on her, but she was "hook on love", it was really getting "more than physical". So you told her "easy", you are "three times a lady", "you" are "truly" not an "angel", "I heard a rumor", you broke someone's cock before. "Hello" it is hard "to love a woman" your size. But she said "I can't help" "I want you back", so you went this is the "last thing on my mind", you never had me in the first place, anyway thinking it was really "rough justice", you came down a bit and went "it ain't what you do", "goodbye" "Robert De Niro's waiting" and o yeah I forgot to tell you....I am gay....

15 minutes later, you are in the car with Robert De Niro, and all we can hear is "more more more", and Robert De Niro is behind you saying: shut the F...Up "shy boy"

PS: you don't get it...must be too young then...
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
I forgot the point of the story is, if you are going to do house party, try to get a general idea of what they expect you to play...so you don't have to commit.

I understand it can be frustrating to set up all your material, and then being requested to play stuff that you don't play...

If you are going to do a house party, you fall more into the mobile/wedding deejay perspective and not so much in the club category, unless the age bracket is pretty tight and oriented...it can be a tough job if you are oriented yourself, nothing wrong with that, but like I said ask before you commit.

D1
ChemicalJames +

GREEN EGGS AND HAm

Times thanked
<
A mate of mine once had a sign up that Said "Write requests here" with a pen and paper below it. And than another sign that said "place requests here" With a paper shredder below it
fffffffff
boi85 +

Times thanked
<
this thread has a lot of fap.

if you don't want to play a song thats fine.
plenty of requests are ridiculous, yes.

but as an entertainer, some of you should learn how to deal with your audience, how to turn them down properly without getting agitated, no matter how dumb they are.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
for real. this is ego central shit.
defected819 +

CHyer!

Times thanked
<
It's always "Can you play some RnB, something with words?".

I make sure I have a stack of boots to choose from. Dropping one of those on the spot doesn't hurt the floor, most times it actually picks up. A little cheese can be fun.

DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
Requestor Pro----- Patent Pending
Soon Available in a night club near you…
The Future of request is here…
Are your DJs sick of request…make their night plus a little cash.

Main unit is an ATM alike machine with touch screen technology and coin/notes operated, and USB key entry.

Second unit is a touch screen LCD screen with an USB entry

Both are connected either by cable or Wifi.

Main software: Requestor Pro is installed on the main unit and also the second unit.

Second software to distribute to your DJs, it is a sophisticated list maker compatible with Traktor and alike.

Operation is very simple, whenever the DJ enters the booth he connects his USB key in the LCD which download all the information and the list of songs he has with him.
Whenever the punter wants to do a request, he puts money on the main unit and selects the toons available, all the information is relayed to the LCD screen. There is no guarantee the DJ will actually play the toons, and the DJ might also compile the information by most requested.
At the end of his shift the DJ collect the cash by inserting his key to the main unit.

Now the punter has to pay for his request and further more he has to choose from YOUR selection, and further more YOU get paid to play a toon…

Patent pending---copyright 2007 D1 don’t still my idea…

PS: I know I have time to kill…
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
More about Requestor Pro----- Patent Pending

The DJ actually fix the price for the toons, he can also update his selection by loading new playlist as the night goes and taking out old one, and he has to manually take out toons of the list each time unless he does not mind getting more request for a toon he has already played.

D1

PS: More time to kill
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
If the DJs in here bitching about people requesting shit spent half that time filling out a playlist at the gig then we'd see PPCA royalties going to the right sources instead of toward the bullshit you're refusing to play anyway = better world for everybody.

effort and reward anybody?
Bekay +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
^^ I'd be happy to do that each week. I'd rather my ARIA chart get used for more than providing a chart for the sake of it

you'll be happy to know I played a request last night - all you have to do is request some sinden or switch or something I'm into & I'm happy to comply if the situation is right (I very politely turned down 3 other requests though, ha ha)
Ben Kelly
I
havik +

Times thanked
<
I love the trashy ones that ask me to drop the tune that is playing.
When I point out that its hammering out of the speakers, their expressions are gold!
Synik/Nick Whitford Mixes
FacebookGroup: SynikMixes - for new mixes
TechHouse&House:LondonCalling(Aug09)
TechHouse&Classics:AdiosSydney
MySpace

Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,931 Posts
DJs are ****s anyway. They wouldnt play the tracks I asked for even if they did have them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

BMoney +

What's on YOUR mind?

Times thanked
<
I saw a DJ being asked to play stuff yesterday, then the requester asked if she could look through his CDs to see if there was something she liked so he could play it for her...surely that's going tooo far?

Quote:

Skerik +

naff

Times thanked
<
was she hot?

i did that exact thing the other nite.

Kept her and her friends happy, and she got to stand in the booth and wave at people.

and i had a hottie in the console.

win win if you ask me
.music. .pictures. .project:tryptamine.
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skerik

was she hot?

i did that exact thing the other nite.

Kept her and her friends happy, and she got to stand in the booth and wave at people.

and i had a hottie in the console.

win win if you ask me

Would she had received the same treatment if she was fat and ugly!!!

D1
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »