The DJ Booth

chaepest reliable setup

Tools
lenom +

Times thanked
<
chaepest reliable setup
im looking to buy a setup but im 13 so i have practically no money and my main source of money is from christmas =( anyways does anyone know whats the cheapest things to get that wone break down to quickly.
Majestyk +

Times thanked
<
How cheap are we talking? We need a budget to work with here.
trashy +

Top Dog

Times thanked
<
do you have a laptop or computer mate......if so i would get one of the many midi controllers going around...that would get you started and you will still learn how to mix etc with one of those should you wish to go mixer and decks later on...
Ride the Train
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashy

do you have a laptop or computer mate......if so i would get one of the many midi controllers going around...that would get you started and you will still learn how to mix etc with one of those should you wish to go mixer and decks later on...

Obvioulsy he has a computer..... (thats how he can post on here)

But yeh i agree with trashy buy a Midi Controller and get something like Virtual DJ
sparc54 +

A model citizen.

Times thanked
<
Starting young, that's awesome! A midi controller would be sweet but if you don't know the ins and outs of the pc setup too well, go some cheap cdjs I reckon. Some of the other guys will know which brands to go for....
trashy +

Top Dog

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy

Obvioulsy he has a computer..... (thats how he can post on here)

...yeah good point...although he could be at an internet cafe or something...but yeah you are right...

drrr...
Ride the Train
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
^^ Soo he could good point

Anyway back on topic

Something like this will be perfect for use on the computer just need Virtual Dj or something like that
Cost's $270ish
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
+ DJ Decks

www.djdecks.be
hunter +

beat me daddy

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashy

naw man - y'don't need a computer - just pick up a couple of those apple i-rocks

word-processing is highly over-rated
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
lenom +

Times thanked
<
i have a computer but its pretty bad, i dont really want to buy a midi controller because both my computer would probably lag quite a bit and i sort of want a bit more reliability than a computer (especially my one!), as with prics i dont really have a specific budget i just want to know whats cheap, at the moment im looking at maybe two stanton t.60s and a numark dm1002, maybe with torq connectiv so i can use cds (yea it is kinda still relying on a computer but its mostly the mixer im worried about in a controller).
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
So you want turntables or CD players?
lenom +

Times thanked
<
^
yup that would be best.
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Which one would you prefer.. CD players cost more.. but Vinyl costs more then a track digitaly or on cds..
dj_terence +

TK

Times thanked
<
maybe search for a couple of 2nd hand cdj100s and a budget mixer.. perhaps $600-$700ish? Maybe you better get a paper route

johnjay +

Times thanked
<
vinyl doesnt cost more

you can pick 200 records up for like $50 if you really wanted to
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
the guy is 13.... how much money does he seriously have?
step on my cubes.
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjay

vinyl doesnt cost more

you can pick 200 records up for like $50 if you really wanted to

When you have time - Show me where I can pick up 200pieces for $50. And I'm not talking about 200 copies of Mark Holden - I wanna make you my lady on 7 inch for 25 cents at my local vinnies store.
Blink Me +

Times thanked
<
You should probably get 2 CDJ100MK3s, a RaneTTM57SL Mixer, 2 Technics SL1210M5G Turntables and a Korg KP3 Kaoss Pad, just for kicks. Also a HK Audio L.U.C.A.S Max System would give you a good enough sound. That setup should last you a few years, just until you can afford some decent stuff.
Best of luck.
lenom +

Times thanked
<
^
i can bareley afford one sl 1200!! cmon im 13 i cant afford much, and for how much money i have...about $1000 if im lucky by the end of the year, but at the moment i just want to know whats cheapest so i can tell how long i need to save up.

also i already have a paper route... i only get about $40 a month from it tho so thats why i dont have much money

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy

Which one would you prefer.. CD players cost more.. but Vinyl costs more then a track digitaly or on cds..

oh sorry, i dont mind having either really
blakenelson +

Times thanked
<
Not only do you need decks and a mixer, you also need speakers headphones. and you said you wanted torq you need a computer that isnt going to crash.
Majestyk +

Times thanked
<
For $1000 i'd recommend 2 cdj100s and a beginner mixer (anything but behringer)- Numark seem to be ok for beginners- go second hand if possible. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree but thats my input.
white lie +

Times thanked
<
Get CDJ's. Definately the cheapest option IMO. Either start up price would be about the same, but CD's/MP3's are heaps cheaper to buy which will keep you interested in it longer. You can run it thru your home stereo and some cheap headphones will suffice to get you started. When you really want to learn to mix, you'll get by with the most basic of essentials. I know I did when I first started out!
Keep it Loud, And make me Proud
lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakenelson

Not only do you need decks and a mixer, you also need speakers headphones. and you said you wanted torq you need a computer that isnt going to crash.

yea im going to worry about speakers and heaphones last, ill be able to use some hifi speakers and if i cant afford any after the setup i have some $40 headphones at the moment, im more worried about my computer crashing from the mixer than the chennels so torq should be fine, my computer meets all the requirements for it
Blink Me +

Times thanked
<
I was joking by the way, just in case anyone didn't pick up on that...
Majestyk +

Times thanked
<
Na I'm sure he could afford those cdj1000 fridge magnets they sell on ebay...
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
virtual decks & numark DXM 01 USB.

if your computer isn't good enough to run it without only adding a simple soundcard to run it, then forget it, you're punching above your weight.

i think it's awesome that you can't afford a setup but i bet you'd be more than happy to pay for music as well.
step on my cubes.
lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blink Me

I was joking by the way, just in case anyone didn't pick up on that...

oh right...lol
lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

virtual decks & numark DXM 01 USB.

if your computer isn't good enough to run it without only adding a simple soundcard to run it, then forget it, you're punching above your weight.

yea i think my computer would easily be able to handle that but i want a more hands on setup.
dj_terence +

TK

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenom

also i already have a paper route

/me pinches cheeks

Blink Me +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_terence

/me pinches cheeks

What?
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
^^ thats exactly what i was thinking.. but decided it was better i didnt ask
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
id get the stanton c14's pack..

DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
I would get something like that:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Numark-Fusion...QQcmdZViewItem

But then ask to switch the 950 for a 1050 so you get 3eq.

Then there is second hand, but at 13 with no experience I would not recommend venturing yourself into that yet, as it can be pretty disapointing.

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
dj_terence +

TK

Times thanked
<

Quote:

What?

cos it's so adorable, geddit.

gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majestyk

For $1000 i'd recommend 2 cdj100s and a beginner mixer (anything but behringer)- Numark seem to be ok for beginners- go second hand if possible. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree but thats my input.

Best advice so far. I'd say either CDJ100's or Dennon DN S1000. Not sure how much they are going for in Oz, (gotta a killer deal on some in Tokyo $360 each!) but the Dennons shit on the CDJ100's however they may be hard to find. Forget Torque, just play CD's, that's going to save you more money upfront. Look on ebay or here:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/for...php?forumid=49

Any mixer will do when you start out, go cheap, see if you like DJing, and if you decide you do, upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ D one

I would get something like that:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Numark-Fusion...QQcmdZViewItem

But then ask to switch the 950 for a 1050 so you get 3eq.

Then there is second hand, but at 13 with no experience I would not recommend venturing yourself into that yet, as it can be pretty disapointing.

D1

I would suggest getting 2nd hand, forget new, that's just more money for gear that isn't as good IMO.

P.S. Brako is right, make sure you ALWAYS buy your music, support the music you love.
I'll be back...
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
p.s. any of the gear that's been listed you can forget being reliable as well (with possible exception of the CDJ100.)

they ARE consumer products, they WILL brake and they WILL need repair.
step on my cubes.
dj_terence +

TK

Times thanked
<
will brake for hot chicks

DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblore

I would suggest getting 2nd hand, forget new, that's just more money for gear that isn't as good IMO.

Although this is true in a way, it is not always true. Unfortunately when it comes to second hand, beware from who you buy and the condition, the history...a lot of people outhere are just dumping lemons, the reason why I said you need some experience and know what to look for. All you don't need is to buy something that will die on you a few weeks down the track.

When its new with warranty (Not as new) you have the added 1 year protection.

With some Pioneer, and specially the lower range, you could be buying second hand so close to the retail price that its not even worth the risk, you better of negotiating a package direct with a few retailers and bring the price down as much as you can.

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
buy nothing yet ... keep saving.

If the passion and enthusiasm remain then you'll be able to get some nice gear and really explore the possibilities
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Blink Me +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

cos it's so adorable, geddit.

Oh, I see.

Quote:

will brake for hot chicks

What?
I just don't understand your humour.
DJ_Tingles +

Times thanked
<
Hey Lemon, i can flog you my old stanton Mixer for around 100 bucks, it was fantastic for me when i was starting out, and i never had a problem with it
Let me know
it's a stanton smx 201

cheers
dj_terence +

TK

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Oh, I see.

What?
I just don't understand your humour.

then don't ask

Last edited by dj_terence: 08-Oct-07 at 01:13pm

lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Tingles

Hey Lemon, i can flog you my old stanton Mixer for around 100 bucks, it was fantastic for me when i was starting out, and i never had a problem with it
Let me know
it's a stanton smx 201

cheers

thanks but no thanks, i sorta want a mixer with 3 band eq, im considering buying some producing stuff and than saving what i save in that for a better setup next yea when everything should be cheaper, either that or im gonna have to figure out a way to get my parents to pay for some of it.
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,477 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenom

either that or im gonna have to figure out a way to get my parents to pay for some of it.

guilt is fantastic in this sort of situation

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
Majestyk +

Times thanked
<
Does anyone sense D one had a bad experience buying second hand?
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
Yep or he is loaded, one of the two...
I'll be back...
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
just posting to say i think your humour is spot-on mr terence. it amazes me people had to ask hehe

lenom i'd say do what bracko has recommended fo sho. in the time that it takes from learning the ins and outs of beat matching and music structure and pretty much all the basics you'll most probably have saved up enough money to get a couple of decks. also you don't need to buy both these decks at once, just one would be more than fine to be going on with.

also congratulations to everybody in this thread! good advice and no burns. it's all good
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~**~**~*~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majestyk

Does anyone sense D one had a bad experience buying second hand?

Lol, I have been in import for the most part of my working life, from acting as a custom clearance agent, to packing and shipping orders, to purchase stock, to warehouse management, until I owned my 2 small retail businesses from which I was also importing goods and doing everything from A to Z...let me tell you, when I thought I had seen everything, there was always something new. Basically million of dollars worth of goods have been thru my hands when I was working for these small to mid size companies.

I also conducted about 300 + transactions on ebay, I had a few deals that did not go as expected, as for DJing goods I purchased on ebay, and this forum, 80% were with no problems at all, 10% with minor accessories missing, 10% faulty. This does not take into account the deals I chose not to go thru because things did not seem quite right.

Even with all the experiences I had it does not make me bulletproof, so I can just imagine if I were 13...

The truth of the matter is that they are still people outthere trying to flog on their shit, when you know jackshit about gear, he can be a while since you discover that your gear has something wrong with it...by this time it's usually too late to complain and the seller can always blame it on you aince time may have passed...

Surely second hand is the way to go, but in my opinion after you get a certain knowledge of how the equipment is supposes to behave, and knowing some of the basic of what is what.

When you buy second hand over the net, it is widely based on trust, unfortunately some people are scum and will try to screw you...

So I think it be right to say: beware especially if you haven't got much experience and starting out...

At the end of the day, I don't claim to know it all, even if I might sound like I do, but I just would hate to see youngster getting screw of the only little money he has...

D1
PS: No I am not loaded...
www.weeknsoundz.com
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,477 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by archietech

also congratulations to everybody in this thread! good advice and no burns. it's all good

i know, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
lenom +

Times thanked
<
well im pretty sure im going to get two stanton c.314s and probably a numark 1002 mkii, im not sure about headphones, speakers and music but im going to try and get a bigger paper round to pay for it all. still need to know some good rather cheap speakers, headphones and maybe a mixer but the c.314s look rly good.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »