The DJ Booth

chaepest reliable setup

Page 2 of 4
  Tools
dj_hazzard +

Times thanked
<
just buy one of the stanton djlab kits theres all u need in there or look on ebay can pick up a set of 1200 and a mixer for round 1000?
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
but then the poor kid has shell out millions for vinyl???
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
why do people always complain about the price of vinyl

it never ceases to crack me up
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
cause i'm a poor cvnt
Playing at;

SHRUG
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts
i live on $135 a week and still manage to buy vinyl every 2-3 weeks
don't know what you're complaining about
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
$20 a track........was buying 10 tracks a week.........

then paying sydney rental prices whilst working in community services .......does not make for a lot of spare cash....

Its like an addiction though.
Playing at;

SHRUG
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasper_flip

i live on $135 a week and still manage to buy vinyl every 2-3 weeks
don't know what you're complaining about

How many were you getting? 3 or 4? That's not really enough. Plus going out? I spend more than that or parties a week, I would hate to live and buy music as well! I must agree with Pom Rock, they are real fucking expensive! You begin to wonder if it's worth it if you keep forking out for it.
I'll be back...
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenom

well im pretty sure im going to get two stanton c.314s and probably a numark 1002 mkii, im not sure about headphones, speakers and music but im going to try and get a bigger paper round to pay for it all. still need to know some good rather cheap speakers, headphones and maybe a mixer but the c.314s look rly good.

Stanton cd players are not good in quality I have heard, they probably be good when you start up but then when you start to get heavy on them you might have problems, you are better of with the Pio CDJ200. You asked for reliability, the Stanton would be top choice if you were asking for unreliability.

And no, Vinyl is not expensive. It would be much more fair to say, you cannot afford vinyl.

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
stanton are okay...

pioneer at $650+ a pop... sure I'm sure we can squeeze 2+mixer+headphones+speakers in for 1k.
step on my cubes.
lenom +

Times thanked
<
ive decided to go with the stantons because of 2 reasons

1. they have much more features than most of the cd players at that price
2. id rather pay less and give the stantons a go rather than pay more for less thats gonna last forever.

so plz im not going to buy pioneer so dont bother, everything seems to be overpriced and low in features.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
less features + more money = better quality

more features + less money = low quality

its a generalisation but its pretty much true
Playing at;

SHRUG
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ive decided to go with the stantons because of 2 reasons

1. they have much more features than most of the cd players at that price
2. id rather pay less and give the stantons a go rather than pay more for less thats gonna last forever.

so plz im not going to buy pioneer so dont bother, everything seems to be overpriced and low in features.

While you at it buy a Behringer mixer DJX700 has much more features than most of the mixer at that price.

You asked for reliability and yet you are going to buy the total opposite, your problem.
I suggest you go down your local shop and have a try at different units and feel the quality.

CDJ200 are basically in the same price range.

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ D one

While you at it buy a Behringer mixer DJX700 has much more features than most of the mixer at that price.

You asked for reliability and yet you are going to buy the total opposite, your problem.
I suggest you go down your local shop and have a try at different units and feel the quality.

CDJ200 are basically in the same price range.

D1

whats so bad about behringer? you never seem to see anybody who owns one complain about it, anyways im going to like the only store in perth that seels dj stuff on saturday coz theres some big sale there, las ttime i went there i couldnt find a cdj 200 though but i did use a c.314 and i didnt find any problems with it.

and finally ok it seems everyone just has to agree that nobodys ever going to call something cheap reliable, anyways by reliable i didnt mean outlasting religion i meant not going to break down after a few years. saying that, i bought a psp that everybody said was great a few years ago, it costed more than a ps2 and it was the bestest (kind of like a cdj 1000) but it broke after about three months, when i finally got it replaced a week later the new psp broke again, the moral of this story is that just because its great quiality it can still break (and never buy a sony product within a month of it coming out, similar thing happened with my playstation).
cowabungadude +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

whats so bad about behringer? you never seem to see anybody who owns one complain about it, anyways im going to like the only store in perth that seels dj stuff on saturday coz theres some big sale there, las ttime i went there i couldnt find a cdj 200 though but i did use a c.314 and i didnt find any problems with it.

and finally ok it seems everyone just has to agree that nobodys ever going to call something cheap reliable, anyways by reliable i didnt mean outlasting religion i meant not going to break down after a few years. saying that, i bought a psp that everybody said was great a few years ago, it costed more than a ps2 and it was the bestest (kind of like a cdj 1000) but it broke after about three months, when i finally got it replaced a week later the new psp broke again, the moral of this story is that just because its great quiality it can still break (and never buy a sony product within a month of it coming out, similar thing happened with my playstation).

D1 is giving you advice to help you out, not the other way around, you really should listen to people around here, they know what they are talking about
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
well have a read through that.......

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=208075

if you want to take other peoples ideas and thoughts on board great, if not thats your choice.....

unfortunately with any electronic you may get premature failures, but the more features in a lesser quality (ie cheaper) product the bigger chance it can fail.

Not ALL of the stanton units are bad, you MAY be lucky and never have it fail BUT the chance of it happening are greater!

A lot of the guys on here have a lot more real world experiance with these products and theres been a lot of good advice on here.

Research is a lot like DJing, your ears are you biggest asset
Playing at;

SHRUG
samwiseb +

Untoten

Times thanked
<
But Sony is shit. Pioneer isn't
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If your not going to listen to the advice, why ask? Do you think the people around here don't know what they are talking about? We disagree a lot but when we all agree, I would listen!

Behringer bite balls, there is already a thread dedicated to how bad they are. People that buy them don't complain about them because that is all they can afford and have to make do. I'm telling you that once you go from one of them to almost any other mixer, you will instantly see the difference.

You wouldn't have found problems with the Stanton because you only played them for a few minutes. Of course, they sound good, the features are cool, but I haven't heard one good thing about them from the people here. By the sounds of it, they will be like your PSP and fuck up real quick.

Also, Sony is terrible. Possibly one of the most over rated brands in the world. Avoid it like the plauge!
I'll be back...
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
and dont forget that at 13 the $1000 plus that you'll be spending is a huge chuck, so make sure you are buying QUALITY gear or you'll be in tears a year down the track.

Unless you're one of those kids who's folks buy them the CDj1000 / DJM800 / hdj1000 pack and pay full retail.........

I nearly cried when i saw that one day
Playing at;

SHRUG
lenom +

Times thanked
<
ok so i may be a bit single sided with the stantons aswell, cdj 200s just dont have enough features but does anyone know how good the vestax cdx 05 and dennon dns 1000
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ok im not blocking out your advice or anything i just think that it seems a bit biased, i mean i dont think anyone has said 'i have some stantons and there terrible' its just 'stanton are crap pioneer are the only choice' and it just sounds a bit biased, i spose id be a bit more convinced to get cdj 200s if you talked about the pros of them not just 'stanton will break and these wont'

dude read this ffs

two guys in one thread with failed stantons.....

i've seen cdj200 & dns1000 both used in some clubs before, never any stantons....i'm pretty sure everyone would agree these are the best two options to start off with.

All the features you need, and good quality.

Dont worry about effects and lots of features just yet, you'll seriously just have fun mixing for the next 12mths....
Playing at;

SHRUG
lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

dude read this ffs

two guys in one thread with failed stantons.....

lol i read that just after posting the thing u quoted.
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ok im not blocking out your advice or anything i just think that it seems a bit biased, i mean i dont think anyone has said 'i have some stantons and there terrible' its just 'stanton are crap pioneer are the only choice' and it just sounds a bit biased, i spose id be a bit more convinced to get cdj 200s if you talked about the pros of them not just 'stanton will break and these wont'

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblore

Best advice so far. I'd say either CDJ100's or Dennon DN S1000. Not sure how much they are going for in Oz, (gotta a killer deal on some in Tokyo $360 each!) but the Dennons shit on the CDJ100's however they may be hard to find. Forget Torque, just play CD's, that's going to save you more money upfront. Look on ebay or here:
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/for...php?forumid=49
Any mixer will do when you start out, go cheap, see if you like DJing, and if you decide you do, upgrade.
I would suggest getting 2nd hand, forget new, that's just more money for gear that isn't as good IMO.
P.S. Brako is right, make sure you ALWAYS buy your music, support the music you love.

Do you even read your own thread? Looking at the Dennon VS Stanton thread as well:

I'll be back...
cowabungadude +

Times thanked
<
just burn him, he obviously knows more than any of us here anyway
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts

Quote:

ok , cdj 200s just dont have enough features

How does the CDJ-200 not have enough features? I have CDJ-100's which has less features then the CDJ-200 and have had them for about 4 -5 months and still have a great deal of learning to do.

Just beacuse the Stantons have effect and 54 cue points and 17 loop point and scratch and bits that you can twiddle about with doesn't mean that it's going to make the songs flow together properly.

Firstly you're going to have to learn how to do everything before beginning to use all the super duper features on cd players.

just my 2cents...
cowabungadude +

Times thanked
<
he can't even spell cheapest
lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowabungadude

he can't even spell cheapest

lol i saw that about five minutes after posting the thread and im not sure how to change it.

ok people im sorry it seems you rly dont want me to get a stanton cd player so what other brands do you suggest at around >$700, so far ive found vestax cdx 05, denon dns 1000, maybe cdj-200 and umm... thats all, know of any others?

Last edited by lenom: 10-Oct-07 at 07:36pm

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
That's about it really.. or you could try second hand stuff
dj_terence +

TK

Times thanked
<

Quote:

it seems you rly dont want me to get a stanton cd player

it's not that, it's just that you're concentrating on buying for the wrong qualities. You're choosing effects over reliability, build quality, etc. Effects shouldn't really play a role in the kind of money you're spending

lenom +

Times thanked
<
ok now what are the bad sides of the vestax cdx 05s, at some stores ive found them cheaper than the stantons, these seem pretty similar to the stantons though but come from amore trusted brand. (i think)
lenom +

Times thanked
<
i spose the main reason i dont like the cdj 200s is because they dont have vinyl mode, im not planning on trying turntablism but is there another way to cue up a song? im sure they wouldnt make cd players if they couldnt cue stuff (please dont laugh if theres a really obvious way to cue without vinyl mode, its hard to figure these things out without asking).
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

whats so bad about behringer? you never seem to see anybody who owns one complain about it

i could dig up about 30 people on these forums within 1/2 an hour.
step on my cubes.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i spose the main reason i dont like the cdj 200s is because they dont have vinyl mode, im not planning on trying turntablism but is there another way to cue up a song? im sure they wouldnt make cd players if they couldnt cue stuff (please dont laugh if theres a really obvious way to cue without vinyl mode, its hard to figure these things out without asking).

FFS have you actually read any of the manuals for the units you want to own yet?
step on my cubes.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ok now what are the bad sides of the vestax cdx 05s, at some stores ive found them cheaper than the stantons, these seem pretty similar to the stantons though but come from amore trusted brand. (i think)

you really, really have to start searching these things on your own,
step on my cubes.
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<

Quote:

No you are right. Unless You have vinyl mode on a CD player you cannot cue them. You put the CD in and they automatically play, then you have to do all the work with dramatic pitch bending etc to get them beat matched. So the real skill is inserting the CD at the correct time. So if the CD takes 1 second to load: you have to estimate 1 second before you want to play it to put the CD in... which is why CD players with trays suck, because its harder to estimate. And CDJ1000's with their slot loading mechanism make the whole 'insertion cueing' (as we call it in the business) alot easier.

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebrains69

No you are right. Unless You have vinyl mode on a CD player you cannot cue them. You put the CD in and they automatically play, then you have to do all the work with dramatic pitch bending etc to get them beat matched. So the real skill is inserting the CD at the correct time. So if the CD takes 1 second to load: you have to estimate 1 second before you want to play it to put the CD in... which is why CD players with trays suck, because its harder to estimate. And CDJ1000's with their slot loading mechanism make the whole 'insertion cueing' (as we call it in the business) alot easier.

huh??? cue button?
Playing at;

SHRUG
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<

Quote:

is there another way to cue up a song?

Yes push play, then pause the song where u want it cued. Then push the Cue button.. wallah.. pretty freaky stuff eh.
lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy

Yes push play, then pause the song where u want it cued. Then push the Cue button.. wallah.. pretty freaky stuff eh.

yea but with a cd player with vinyl mode you can move the jog wheel around to fine tune the cue, i think you can do this with frame search.

and for bracko's post "you really, really have to start searching these things on your own"(sorry im not sure how you quote two things in one post), what do you think im doing sitting here all day, anyways its usually hard to find a review that shows the bad sides of a cd player (and i know i never found a review saying stanton will break) and since you guys seemed to have no problem telling me how bad stanton is i didnt think youd mind telling me if theres anything wrong with an alternative.
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
All CD players i have used you can push pause and then move the song around the fine tune the Cue point. I have the CDJ-100s and you can even do it with these
lenom +

Times thanked
<
ok thats good
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<

Quote:

huh??? cue button?

My God, You didn't think I was serious, did you? ...... "insertion cueing"??
Matty-Dj +

Times thanked
<
Just a thought but when i first got started (at about the same age) my mate and I (3 of us) went to one of the Bigger Cash Converters.. we managed to find a cheap mixer and some old staton turns and that did us till we got jobs and started upgrading one bit at a time.
===============
Matty-Dj

"The well-bred contradict other people. The wise contradict themselves.".... think about it!
===============
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

sarcasm doesnt always get picked up......and after some of the comments on here nothing would surprise me.....

a bit like the dude with the problem with beatport screwing up his bpm;'s
Playing at;

SHRUG
lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matty-Dj

Just a thought but when i first got started (at about the same age) my mate and I (3 of us) went to one of the Bigger Cash Converters.. we managed to find a cheap mixer and some old staton turns and that did us till we got jobs and started upgrading one bit at a time.

ive had a look at cash converters and although my dad is completely against second hand electronics (atleast from cash converters anyways) i would like to get some speakers and maybe a mixer from there, they seem to always have a numark dxm 06 or 09 pretty cheap.
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<

Quote:

sarcasm doesnt always get picked up......and after some of the comments on here nothing would surprise me.....

a bit like the dude with the problem with beatport screwing up his bpm;'s

Point taken... I thought the ' ' after the sarcasm would give it away though. Will know better in future.

As for cash converters, not a bad idea... up here in Brissie they always have DJ equipment in cash converters. And DXM06 mixers are superfly beginners mixers, they are well laid out and the effects are good: If your new to this though, make sure you are getting a good price... go through ebay / trading post / online DJ stores to see who is selling the cheapest new mixers and then compare.... because I have seen a cash converters trying to knock off a second hand stanton T.80 for how much they cost new.
cowabungadude +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i did
white lie +

Times thanked
<
I think you'd find cheaper deals privately than at cashies. They always seem overpriced to me.

And there's definately more than 1 DJ store in Perth. Try DJ Factory, Kosmic and Extended Play for most of your hardware needs.

Learn to mix before you start playing with effects. You'll become a much better DJ that way. Plus you can always add an external effects unit later on if you want.
Keep it Loud, And make me Proud
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

ive had a look at cash converters and although my dad is completely against second hand electronics (atleast from cash converters anyways) i would like to get some speakers and maybe a mixer from there, they seem to always have a numark dxm 06 or 09 pretty cheap.

You see buddy, there is something that money can't buy, it is experience and common sense.

People at pawn shops, usually buy and sell stuff they have no F****** clues about, yeah might look good cosmetically, but surely they will never try every functions of the stuff...and that is where the problem lie...something might be wrong with the stuff and they will never know about it themselves...now here you come, buy the stuff...but since you are a nooby...you might not even find out the stuff has a problem...until long long time, when you start to wonder "this does not work as it is supposed to"...then time has gone by, so you bring back the stuff, and since a long long time has gone thru, now the pawn shop people blame you for having wreked the stuff.

So the moral of the story here, listen to your daddy, although some stuff you can see staight away it does not work, some other stuff could take months before you even realise the stuff was F***** up all along....with speaker you probably can get away with, but something like a mixer, I would probably stay away from...unless I can get some short warranty on it.

Son you are 13...people your age live in a world of their own, and think us, adults are stupid monkeys that know nothing about anything, the problem is we do know a hell of a lot more than you think...so you better listen up, and this way you will stay away from loosing $$$, you know it does not grow on trees, and it's not even yours, it's your daddy sweat...the day you'll earn yours, you can do the F**** you want with it, but at this time it's your daddy's $$$ so be wise with it or you will see less and less of his $$$ if you F**** around with it...

No offence kid, but what as to be said as to be said...we are not just some imaginery people, we are people behind writting this stuff to you, so you don't get screwed...

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<

Quote:

we are not just some imaginery people, we are people behind writting this stuff to you,
D1

You are
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy

You are

Ya baby I am a bit loco

D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
lenom +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Son you are 13...people your age live in a world of their own, and think us, adults are stupid monkeys that know nothing about anything, the problem is we do know a hell of a lot more than you think...so you better listen up, and this way you will stay away from loosing $$$, you know it does not grow on trees, and it's not even yours, it's your daddy sweat...the day you'll earn yours, you can do the F you want with it, but at this time it's your daddy's $$$ so be wise with it or you will see less and less of his $$$ if you F around with it...

No offence kid, but what as to be said as to be said...we are not just some imaginery people, we are people behind writting this stuff to you, so you don't get screwed...

D1

yea youve got a good point but ive already been given that lecture (with ther exception that apparently i think all adults are stupid imaginary monkeys).

oh and also w00t 100 posts!

Last edited by lenom: 11-Oct-07 at 01:47pm

Page 2 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »