The DJ Booth

Beatport Territory Restrictions

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
Majestyk +

Times thanked
<
Beatport Territory Restrictions
So many songs I want seem to have territory restrictions. How can I get around this? For example for "What Else Is There?" (Trentemoller Remix) I've tried about 4 download sites, same song re-released on different labels and just about everything else I can think of. What do I do?!
I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.
omnipresence +

hocus pocus by focus

Times thanked
<
that can be frustrating but the territory restrictions are obviously there for a reason. maybe try another site or just download a different song instead - your life won't depend on having that tune (or whatever track it is you're after).
Info // Soundcloud // Facebook // Twitter
Carte Blanche +

. . . those carefully prepared, scripted remarks.

Times thanked
<
Have you tried DJDownload.com? Each time I've had a territory restriction on Beatport I've always been able to buy it there.
Andrew Wowk +

ITM DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY

Times thanked
<
^^ Same as this.
Majestyk +

Times thanked
<
Thanks guys
I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
Yeah it shits me.... Don't see the point in it - they'd be making more money if they didnt have territory restrictions. Probably just one of those legal douchebags that makes it that way. But some I have wanted can't be found on any other sites. Is it possible to set up a new beatport account saying your from UK or something so that you can get these tracks - or do they track where you are somehow?
Donnie Darko +

ʇunɔ

Times thanked
<
its stupidly archaic

it promotes soulseek

dimwits
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
It doesn't matter where you say your residency is, it tracks you IP address of some nerdy shit.

Quote:

Territory restrictions are in place to ensure that all interested parties have control of distribution within their territories - this does mean that some territories will miss out on certain releases. This must be frustrating for ppl and I do sympathise. In a dream world the label with the Australian rights will make the track available on Australian sites at the same time as the other label releases in other territories - however this is not common in practice. I have noticed a lot more worldwide deals being struck now - this is partly the influence of digital distribution but also due to the shrinking of the market in general and consequently labels need to be able to sell in all potential territories in order to recoup. There are several sites out there who aren't respecting these territory restrictions, technically this is in breach of contract a lot of the time.

Found in an interview with www.clickgroove.com @ www.purehousemusic.net
I'll be back...
CRISPIAN +

Times thanked
<
I did read on a blog (scattermish?) somewhere that you can change your IP address to an overseas one some how to make it possible to download tracks form beatport? I'm not very good at computers and not sure if this would work or not?
Majestyk +

Times thanked
<
Yeah my friend was telling me that you can use some kind of proxy server thing where it looks like you're in another country. I suck at computers too. Anyone know what I'm on about?
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
As much as I hate to admit....whenever this happens its generally a track I can't live without at that point in time and I have to acquire it from "other" sources

Sucks, because those the tracks that you really want to artist to see some $$$ from and stupid restrictions prevent it
Danege +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majestyk

Yeah my friend was telling me that you can use some kind of proxy server thing where it looks like you're in another country. I suck at computers too. Anyone know what I'm on about?

If you do all that you may as well just download the tune off limewire. Using a proxy server to buy a territory restricted track outside that territory is illegal, even if you pay for the track.
Pro Tool +

Percussive Maintenance

Times thanked
<
Yeah, but there's crimes and there's crimes right?
Brendonism +

Obama/Affleck 08

Times thanked
<
I've had to cross this bridge before, hence this:

How to win at Beatport Territory Bullshit 101

Grab a proxy (see link). There's a bit of trial and error involved, some will be slower than a wet week.

http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

Firefox
Tools/Options/Advanced/Network/Settings/
Tick Manual proxy configuration
Enter the IP and Port
Close/Open browser

IE
Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN settings/Use a proxy server for your LAN
Same same

When you are done set it back to auto detect (or whatever it was before). Sorted.
Majestyk +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brendonism

I've had to cross this bridge before, hence this:

How to win at Beatport Territory Bullshit 101

Grab a proxy (see link). There's a bit of trial and error involved, some will be slower than a wet week.

http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

Firefox
Tools/Options/Advanced/Network/Settings/
Tick Manual proxy configuration
Enter the IP and Port
Close/Open browser

IE
Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN settings/Use a proxy server for your LAN
Same same

When you are done set it back to auto detect (or whatever it was before). Sorted.

I'm so in love with you right now... Take me...
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
With beatport you can see if there's a different release with the song on and that might work.. For Instance on one release of Watch the sunrise you can't buy it cause of restriction then on another one you can..
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
This is exactly the same as back in the day when the only way to buy music was by cd's. In Australia certain cd's wern't availble until after it was realeased for instance in the UK. This is because the contract is limited to sales within that country and anoither contract is signed for a distributor in Australia....this is of course pretty much dead now that that every cd nowadays is released by one of about 3 labels....

I have had an email battle with beatport about this in the past, its is incredibly annoying and seems to be completely stupid, but these are the laws the artist signs up for when he signs that record contract. I did sudgest to beatport in an email that these songs should either not be displayed if you cant buy them OR set up a "wish list" basket and when this track becomes available in your territory it pops up and jumps into your normal basket.....of course beatport said this was not possible to do (more work, no more money pretty much)

Most of the time I find the song elsewhere but it really does piss me off when you go out and hear a song you know you cant buy in the country yet....but seriously its all just about djs trying every avenue to be the guy who played that brand new track that everyone went mad for (which i gotta say is definatly not a bad thing, keeps us all on our toes...!)
Brendonism +

Obama/Affleck 08

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I'm so in love with you right now... Take me...

Samtastic +

Times thanked
<
haha. the proxy altering method works = )
i used a transparent german proxy (port 312 on the italian beatport (beatport.it) - the UK one wouldnt load properly. got the song on my desktop to prove it = )

yaaaay!
FUCKIN YAY!!!!

important tip: remember to empty your cookies before and after the process
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
to bad i cant change the proxy cause i have direct connection to my internet
Samtastic +

Times thanked
<
PS. also found that once you've paid for the song, and it's sitting in your library saying 'Download mp3' (or WAV), you can log out, deactivate the proxy and download it normally (which means it should download a lot quicker, and have less chance of fucking up halfway through)

cool stuff
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
anyone had any luck using this method with trackitdown?

Last edited by Bumpy: 04-Dec-07 at 10:12pm

Samtastic +

Times thanked
<
it should work. ive never used trackitdown
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Yeh i tired a heap last night and couldnt get any to work fro trackitdown.. not even the UK ones
Samtastic +

Times thanked
<
finding a proxy that works can be so fucking tedious! took me about 2 hours.... but im not sure if i was doing it right at first.

i hit gold with a transparent german proxy. couldnt get anything going with a UK one
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
^^ is that for beatport or trackitdown?
ProdigyChild +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samtastic

finding a proxy that works can be so fucking tedious! took me about 2 hours.... but im not sure if i was doing it right at first.

i hit gold with a transparent german proxy. couldnt get anything going with a UK one

Your telling me!!! I have tried heaps and i still keep getting the same Territory Restrictions message...I have cleared my "cookies" but still get the message...

Are you guys changing your location details in your beatport profile aswell??

I have tried China,Brazil,America,Germany e.t.c and still not working!!

Or can someone post up the address & port of a proxy that is working????

Thanks

Last edited by ProdigyChild: 06-Dec-07 at 10:22am

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
No you dont have to change ur details.. but i find that you still are unable to buy the songs.. but no american proxys are working for me
Samtastic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy

^^ is that for beatport or trackitdown?

nah only for beatport, havent tried trackitdown

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProdigyChild

Your telling me!!! I have tried heaps and i still keep getting the same Territory Restrictions message...I have cleared my "cookies" but still get the message...

Are you guys changing your location details in your beatport profile aswell??

I have tried China,Brazil,America,Germany e.t.c and still not working!!

Or can someone post up the address & port of a proxy that is working????

it definitely works.

i found that this guy's explanation was a good starting point

http://www.nem0nic.com/index.php?opt...d=117&Itemid=1

here are my own intructions

Beatport Crack
-use Firefox, download/install the proxy plug-in ( https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/125 )

-clear all cookies (before and after process)
-find a relevant proxy on http://www.samair.ru/proxy/ (dont use CoDeeN for Beatport)
(i used a transparent german one using port 3128 - try one similar)

-activate the proxy using the Firefox plugin

-go to beatport.it (the Italian one, it's all in English, fear not)*
-DON'T login yet
-find the restricted track. click BUY, and then login
-it should now be added to your cart.
-buy it (i used Paypal)
-from here you can log out, turn off the proxy and log in to Beatport as per usual (remember to clear cookies, otherwise you'll still be charged in Euros)

*you should now see all the prices listed in Euros, this is a good sign. you've tricked it into thinking you're viewing it from Europe

also, everything seems much slower with a proxy activated. so dont try and download the track with it on. doing so seems to fuck up the download halfway through (i think it times out)
and you shouldnt need to change ANY of your personal details in your beatport account

ok. that's it! have fun!
let me know if it works!! = )

it also looks as though you cant pay using a credit card. in doing so, the system seems to pick up that you're not really overseas. dont ask me how it knows, i dont even own a CC - i know jack all about them
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
^^ I havn't tried your method but have tried just changing my proxy and it works on some songs but not on others.. how odd
Samtastic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

^^ I havn't tried your method but have tried just changing my proxy and it works on some songs but not on others.. how odd

im guessing that'd be to do with the proxy matching some regions and not others. a US proxy might not let you buy a song that isnt yet licensed in the US

i knew i was after a tune on Kontor Records (a German label), so i focused on European proxies

what kind of proxy have you had success with?
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
I have had succes with ones from mexico, germany, france etc.. but all the ones ive tried from the US dont seem to work
Axle Max +

Times thanked
<
Cool thread. Ive been wondering about this for ages. Good tips ie proxy use and looking for other releases with same title different label
Samtastic +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I have had succes with ones from mexico, germany, france etc.. but all the ones ive tried from the US dont seem to work

yeah i cant get any from the UK to work
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<
This has been pissing me off lately. At least djdownload hides the songs you can't get. Beatport you find the tune you've been hunting for only to get territory restricted when you try to buy it. Looks like the torrentz for me, its easier then f'ing about with this proxy crap.
D4Dirty +

Times thanked
<
has it been getting worse lately or is it just me?
Downunder Underground Feat Mikkel Christensen Out Now!

Check out D4Dirty Records for Future Releases!
pfalzon +

Paulie Falzonie

Times thanked
<
I use my work laptop to VPN through to one of our overseas servers so Beatport thinks I'm in that country.
Kiron +

Mess with the best, Die like the rest!

Times thanked
<
just try proxy.org, its a html proxy so you do not have to write all that stuff in firefox connection settings.
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
Kiron22 << Add me to Last.fm bitches so we can Hipster it up together
djbricksta +

Times thanked
<
Proxy, i think piracy is the word your looking for when it becomes an effort to spend your hard earned cash

Kiron +

Times thanked
<
People usually only rip in 198kbps or they rip to FLAC or some other weird format, I would rather just go through a proxy and buy the music instead of getting low quality, or weird file formats.
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
havik +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by D4Dirty

has it been getting worse lately or is it just me?

Mine is ridiculous atm. I think its because I have an Aussie account and am now in the UK. It's like a double whammy + bad code!
Synik/Nick Whitford Mixes
FacebookGroup: SynikMixes - for new mixes
TechHouse&House:LondonCalling(Aug09)
TechHouse&Classics:AdiosSydney
MySpace

underhousearrest +

kjsdbf

Times thanked
<
If i find a track that's restricted on beatport AND Djdownload, i go straight to www.4shared.com or zippyshare.com, and add the producer of the song to my artists on beatport, so i can buy the track long after i downloaded it.

Soundcloud

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesperoni

I use the people that hate me as a measure of my own performance as a human, if they're shit ****s then I'm on the right track.

Kiron +

Times thanked
<
God fucking everything is territory restricted.
Yak, yak, yak. Get a job
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

So many songs I want seem to have territory restrictions. How can I get around this? For example for "What Else Is There?" (Trentemoller Remix) I've tried about 4 download sites, same song re-released on different labels and just about everything else I can think of. What do I do?!

did you end up getting the royksopp track??
seanious +

sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2 sc2

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by underhousearrest

If i find a track that's restricted on beatport AND Djdownload, i go straight to www.4shared.com or zippyshare.com, and add the producer of the song to my artists on beatport, so i can buy the track long after i downloaded it.

*Bump*

Excellent linkage
dubdeckerbuss +

Times thanked
<
use this - problem solved
http://www.anchorfree.com/hotspot-shield/
Dubdeckerbuss
Shifty Business
Website Gigs Mixes/Tracks
Facebook
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
hmmmm

seems beatport have twigged onto the use of proxy servers

this is the error returned:

Code:
Proxy Error
The proxy server could not handle the request CONNECT http://www.beatport.com:443

Reason: Host not found
i've tried about 20 in the last hour - same result

good luck if you want to use a proxy to avoid DRM restrictions
if you find a workaround, plesae post it up!
djbricksta +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by manuka

if you find a workaround, plesae post it up!

hpstekno +

Times thanked
<
aren't these people trying to stop piracy?
unfucking believable

load it up and take careful aim at that big toe
hopselectroniks@myspace
MY JJJunearthed page
manuka +

is a code monkey

Times thanked
<
scooting around DRM is not piracy - technically

i always pay for downloads these days because i believe you should support the artists and labels and.................. they're cheaper than buying vinyl! downloading and playing free mp3s out is just scummy IMO

but there are some tracks i'd like to play that aren't released in this territory so there used to be a workaround... now there isn't. oh well, plenty more quality tracks out there!
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »