The DJ Booth

Pioneer CDJ-400

Page 1 of 12
  Tools
boriskov +

Times thanked
<
Pioneer CDJ-400

PIONEER BRIDGES THE GAP BETWEEN COMPUTER JOCKS AND CD JOCKS WITH THE NEW CDJ-400 DIGITAL TURNTABLE

LONG BEACH (November 7, 2007) – Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. Professional Sound and Visual Division, the leader in Pro DJ products and the innovator of the CD turntable, unveiled the latest addition to its family of CD turntables, the CDJ-400. The CDJ-400 combines a sampling of features found in the different levels of Pioneer’s CDJ series with the simplicity of a standard CD turntable, including USB1 integration and MP3 playback, MIDI support, scratching capability, scratch jog effect and a variety of looping functions.

“We’re making it versatile and easy to get more control of digital music mixing by developing products like the CDJ-400,” said Matt Dever, vice president for Pioneer’s Professional Sound and Visual Division. “We’ve made the player very affordable for DJs. The CDJ-400 is packed with features that are ideal for different levels of DJs, from the ‘newbies’ to the professional DJs who want to better manipulate their DJ computer software.”

USB Integration and MP3 Playback
The CDJ-400’s cosmetic design is simple and compact yet elegant with all of its various controls and features located directly on top of the unit. A USB port found on the face of the player allows DJs to play their MP3 music collection from a wide variety of portable music devices such as thumb drives, MP3 players or external hard drives. With the use of a multi-function selector knob/button and its large, bright, dot-matrix LCD display, locating and accessing of files from these types of music devices as well as MP3 music files on CD and CD-R/RW through the CD slot are done with a turn and press of the knob.

DJ Software Compatibility and MIDI Control
With more of today’s DJs utilizing different DJ software for their performances, the CDJ-400 is also equipped with a PC mode. In this mode, the CDJ-400 is a native controller for software such as Pioneer DJS2 computer software and SERATO® Scratch LIVE3. For example, the movement of the pitch slider on the CDJ-400 can control the pitch slider on the computer software and no timecode CD is required for audio control. The player can also act as a MIDI controller where the user can assign virtually every button on the player to trigger functions of various DJ software programs.

World’s First Scratch Jog Effect
A highlight and an advancement of the CDJ-400 is its scratching capability. In addition to traditional “vinyl” mode scratching, Pioneer implemented the World’s First Scratch Jog Effect. Three highlighted buttons, each assigned to a special effect, Bubble, Trans and Wah, creates unique scratching sound effects that can be enabled by the DJ on the fly. A “hold” button was also added to retain the different effects throughout the session or until its release, which can also be triggered at any point of play.

- more -

Pioneer CDJ-400 Turntable pg. 2

Additional features in the CDJ-400 include:

• Digital Loop functions: A variety of loops can be created for additional audio effects
o Beat Loop: Automatically creates four beat loop based on the beats per minute (BPM) of music currently being played
o Loop Divide: Rhythmically divides the loop in halves to create different patterns
o Hot Loop: Restarts the loop seamlessly from its entry without interruption of the music
• Digital Jog Break: In CD mode the CDJ-400 contains three effects, Jet, Roll and Wah, which further enhances the audio by simply rotating the jog dial. The same buttons for the Scratch Jog Effect are assigned to the Digital Jog Break which are accessible at any point of play
• Tempo Control: Four tempo modes, ±6%, ±10%, ±16% and WIDE4, provide additional speed control with a resolution of 0.02% in the 6% range
• Cue/Loop Points: Up to 10 cue/loop points per disc, for up to 920 discs can be stored in memory
• Jog Indicator: A break in the red halo illumination around the jog wheel provides instantaneous feedback to the DJ
• Customizable Jog Wheel: The top of the jog wheel can be removed enabling the user to add their own customized image
• Digital Output: A digital output is available for a direct connection for clearer sound to a connected mixer
• Resume Function: The function takes effect if a CD is ejected accidentally. Once the DJ re-inserts the disc, it automatically starts playing from exactly the point where it stopped

The CDJ-400 will be available in January 2008 with a manufacturer suggested retail price of $750.00.

Pioneer offers a complete line of professional DJ equipment through its Professional Sound and Visual Division. Their DJM, CDJ and DVJ Professional DJ equipment are known for their high quality sound and reliability and considered the industry standard at clubs, studios, mobile rigs and homes around the world. For more information, visit www.PioneerProDj.com.
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. is headquartered in Long Beach, California, and its U.S. Web address is www.pioneerelectronics.com. Its parent company, Pioneer Corporation, is a leader in optical disc technology and a pre-eminent manufacturer of high-performance audio, video and computer equipment for the home, car and business markets. The company focuses on four core business domains including Blu-ray Disc and DVD, display technologies, navigation and Digital Network Entertainment™.

PIONEER is a registered trademark of Pioneer Corporation.
Serato is a registered trademark of Serato Audio Research
1 Player supports mass storage-class USB memory, but may not support playback of all USB devices or provide sufficient electrical power for them. The player cannot play copyright-protected files
2 Controls DJS using version 1.5 (update scheduled for January 200 or later versions. For further details, visit http://www.proDJnet.com/support/ (launch scheduled for early December 2007)
3 Support for the CDJ-400 will be included in Serato Scratch LIVE in early 2008. Serato Scratch LIVE software is not included with the
CDJ-400. More DJ software applications pending from other companies, but Pioneer may not guarantee performance of software on
user’s PCs.
4 WIDE mode not available on MP3 files
- more -

Pioneer CDJ-400 Turntable pg. 3

CDJ-400 Specifications:
Disc Type CD, CD-R/RW, MP3
Compatible Media USB memory (FAT format, MP3)
Output Terminals Audio Out (RCA), Digital Out (Coaxial)
Other Terminals Control (3.5 mm mini plug)
Power Requirements 120 V (60 Hz)
Power Consumption 17 Watts
Weight 5.95 Lbs
Dimensions 8.54 (W) x 11.66 (D) x 4.2 (H) in
Frequency Response 4 Hz to 20 kHz
Signal-to-Noise Ratio 115dB or greater (JEITA)
Distortion 0.006% (JEITA)

boriskov +

Times thanked
<
Well what can I say, it looks like a pretty good piece of gear.
KuRuPTeD +

you gonna get raped

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,458 Times in 624 Posts
i'm not impressed, it's nothing the Numark iCDX did over a year ago.
Ah well it is pio, it will sell.
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
I'd buy it.. just alone for home use, shame it doesn't have the SD card feature so you could prepare 1000 data on it ready for gigs
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
boriskov +

Times thanked
<
Would make a sweet third deck with an existing set up that's for sure.
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by richcur

I'd buy it.. just alone for home use, shame it doesn't have the SD card feature so you could prepare 1000 data on it ready for gigs

Could you do the same but transfer the data via a card reader/ writer?

I think its a bloody awesome bit of kit. Yeah, its not pushing major boundaries but its certainly implemented them in a far better package than numark ever did.

I could see them being my next two players, i wonder what the price point will be...

EDIT: So when is it due out??
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
ShyBoy +

Shake Dat Thing Gurl

Times thanked
<
I will replace my 2x CDJ100 with these next year.

Pitch increments and looping functions have got me.

Is that $750 AUD?
My Trap/Mash Up Mix - Twurk till it Hurt

https://soundcloud.com/iamdjshy/twurk-till-it-hurt
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
This does seem a little bit too good to be true....reading the specs you would think it would leave all their other entry to mid level CDJ's completely redundant.....
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyBoy

Is that $750 AUD?

Shit even if its US it only makes them $800AUD if the dollar stays the way it does.

I will be doing the same and selling my 1000.

The midi capabilities and other guff like play off usb sticks and that have me sold
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
bj9999 +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
I like the look of this - big fan of the USB plus on a basic CDJ! Ive just got a 200 as my third deck but would have seriously considered this as an alternative if it was out
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
This isnt a basic CDJ by any stretch of the imagination
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

This does seem a little bit too good to be true....reading the specs you would think it would leave all their other entry to mid level CDJ's completely redundant.....

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Tempo Control: Four tempo modes, ±6%, ±10%, ±16% and WIDE4, provide additional speed control with a resolution of 0.02% in the 6% range

Goodbye CDJ 800!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
My guess is that it will be closer to 1000 once its landed in aus, tax and other margins are added?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Yeah, but that's still cheaper than the 800 and from what I can tell from the features, it competely pwns it!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Music_Pirate +

Times thanked
<
So glad I didn't lash out on 800s And can someone say HELLO Serato

Any eta on when it will be released, and if so, price/availability in Aus?

Cheers

EDIT - From Scratchworx

Quote:

Price and availability
The CDJ-400 is available from Pioneer’s distribution network, details of which can be found at www.pioneerprodj.eu. Future video of the CDJ-400 will be available on Pioneer’s community video website – www.djsounds.com. The CDJ-400 will be available from January 2008 with a price of around €550 (excluding VAT).

So that makes it mk3 territory

Last edited by Music_Pirate: 08-Nov-07 at 11:53am

relaxo +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShyBoy

Is that $750 AUD?

+1

the jog wheel looks acceptable for home mixing and with .02% pitch ALOT less platter touching would be required over 100s. i can definitely live without waveform display, hot cues, etc for mixing at home, but as rich said, would have been nice to have SD capabilities... but you cant have everything in an entry level!

the serato capabilities would be handy too as ive been considering traktor or serato...

mmm might try and flog off the cdj-100s asap. who wants to buy?
relaxo +

Times thanked
<
Customizable Jog Wheel: The top of the jog wheel can be removed enabling the user to add their own customized image

im putting a tit on each one
baax +

Times thanked
<
Looks like ive found my new cdj.
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
<
My guess is that pioneer would not put this in direct competition with the 800 unless the remake
of the 800 is not far away (+ there is a price hike in the new 800 coming??)

It may be my CD deck in the UK that is for sure.
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
Can't wait to see what happens to the 1000 range after this. The MKIV should be something!!!
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
P_A_Sime +

I'd have a crack :)

Times thanked
<
I hope there aint a MKIV coming to soon, i just got 4 MK3's recently.
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
I doubt it, though you have to think about whats in store for future product releases/ development if this product does as well as i think it will.

A CDJ 1000 with these features in it would kill.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
relaxo +

Times thanked
<
perhaps pioneer have decided to just go for 2 cdj lines instead of 3?
Junksack +

Times thanked
<
damn i just picked up a pair of cdj200's. might have to pick up one of these as a 3rd or try and flog off a 200 when they come out. these cjd400's look like they would complement a 200 nicely. Even if the RRP is around the $1K mark that would still be good value i reckon.
jova +

eh?

Times thanked
<
ARGGH And i was gonna go buy a pair or CDJ800's on the weekend. Although the 800's look like they've got a bigger jog wheel... which i like.
I dunno what to do anymore... maybe i'll consider a TECHNICS SL-DZ1200.. they're cheap at the moment. Anyone used these before and can gimme a ye or neigh ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon_Murphy

That Thrusticles is a dream boat!

[ TOUCH MY DECKS ] - Tribal / Techno / Progressive / Psychedelic
P_A_Sime +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jova

ARGGH And i was gonna go buy a pair or CDJ800's on the weekend. Although the 800's look like they've got a bigger jog wheel... which i like.
I dunno what to do anymore... maybe i'll consider a TECHNICS SL-DZ1200.. they're cheap at the moment. Anyone used these before and can gimme a ye or neigh ?

Thatll be a big FUCK NO from me.

get the 800's
entropy1 +

Times thanked
<
apparently you cant scratch on them like the 800s or 1000 (who scracthes on cjds anyway)
relaxo +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by entropy1

apparently you cant scratch on them like the 800s or 1000 (who scracthes on cjds anyway)

World’s First Scratch Jog Effect
A highlight and an advancement of the CDJ-400 is its scratching capability. In addition to traditional “vinyl” mode scratching, Pioneer implemented the World’s First Scratch Jog Effect. Three highlighted buttons, each assigned to a special effect, Bubble, Trans and Wah, creates unique scratching sound effects that can be enabled by the DJ on the fly. A “hold” button was also added to retain the different effects throughout the session or until its release, which can also be triggered at any point of play.

you can scratch... perhaps just not as well due to smaller platter and no pretty lights?
truba +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by entropy1

says who, dave clarke uses the sldz decks and he scratches a fair bit.
sparc54 +

A model citizen.

Times thanked
<
Hmmm not so happy to find out about these two weeks after I bought my 800s, love the features! Oh well fuck it, at least I got some. Maybe one day I'll swap one, though it'd be nice to be able to use them as midi controllers and such.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
seems like a better version of the cdj 200, has what the cdj200 was missing, a propper platter and vinyl control, fuk all the rest of the features

i would get it if its cheaper then the cdj 800 mk2
truba +

Times thanked
<
good bye cd's, hello memmory sticks
P_A_Sime +

Times thanked
<
How wikkid it would be to rock up at a gig with 2 small 10gig mem sticks one day.
timmyb +

damn good cherry pie

Times thanked
<
Hehe. You look a lot cooler rocking up with big bags of beats.

Since the USB/memory stick is the way the decks are headed I hope they incorporate a bigger LCD or touch screen into their design in the future for ease of finding files.
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music_Pirate

So glad I didn't lash out on 800s And can someone say HELLO Serato

Any eta on when it will be released, and if so, price/availability in Aus?

Cheers

EDIT - From Scratchworx

So that makes it mk3 territory

Oh yes, after reading the serato forums, this will be out with native Serato support in '08

I'd probably buy it if i needed new decks (which i don't) don't tempt me though
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo_

I doubt it, though you have to think about whats in store for future product releases/ development if this product does as well as i think it will.

A CDJ 1000 with these features in it would kill.

I'd say pioneer are going to midi everything.

Next year we will see a DJM800 MK2 with inbuilt soundcard and CDJ1000 MK4 with midi support
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
I am not sold on inbuilt sound interfaces in mixers.

Great for home setups but not the best option for installs.

Other than that, the duplication of processes and resources shits me.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

NEONSPACE
Underdog +

meh

Times thanked
<
looks interesting - so has anyone got the word when they might hit Oz, been eyeing up a Cd deck and it just might be the one for me
NEVER MIND THE BALEARICS! TROPICAL DISCO AND BEYOND!, BACK REAL SOON - SIGN UP HERE
jova +

eh?

Times thanked
<
Hmmm i might actually be able to get a very good price on a pair of CDJ 1000's from JB brand new... so it seems that'll b the new option for me ! For a couple hundred more the 1000's would b much better than the 800's no ? DAMN THESE EXPENSIVE PURCHASE DECISIONS I WISH I WAS LOADED !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon_Murphy

That Thrusticles is a dream boat!

[ TOUCH MY DECKS ] - Tribal / Techno / Progressive / Psychedelic
Underdog +

meh

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jova

Hmmm i might actually be able to get a very good price on a pair of CDJ 1000's from JB brand new... !

how much?
NEVER MIND THE BALEARICS! TROPICAL DISCO AND BEYOND!, BACK REAL SOON - SIGN UP HERE
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts
Here's a good video of it:
http://www.djsounds.com/11/14/new-bp...0%99s-cdj-400/

Who said it can't scratch? That's the whole point of this release.
clayq +

Times thanked
<
Looks like it has smart loops - awesome. CDJ1000 needs this...
Harder Better Faster Stronger
J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,275 Times in 429 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by clayq

Looks like it has smart loops - awesome. CDJ1000 needs this...

Agreed. Definately a main buying factor for me.
They look tasty
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
chubba +

chubbs deluxe

Times thanked
<
Pretty cool looking piece of kit, absolutely packed with features. Will be interesting to take a look at once they land here.
"If you put a cat infront of a speaker pumping this track out, it would die for sure."
NexusBreed pres. NEXUS [Trance|Tech|Prog]
www.chubbsdeluxe.com
trashy +

Top Dog

Times thanked
<
visually its a nice looking piece of kit...and yeah if its between teh 200 and 800 it should sell well...

i dont get the midi functionality of it though...why would you use a program to mix your cds for you...
Ride the Train
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by trashy

visually its a nice looking piece of kit...and yeah if its between teh 200 and 800 it should sell well...

i dont get the midi functionality of it though...why would you use a program to mix your cds for you...

the program doesnt mix your cds... you use the cdj as a control interface with a program like serato to mix audio from your pc coz youre a lazy **** who cbf changing cds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
1000 Mk4 with midi interface to control serato, traktor etc

hrmmmmmm - very interesting
This is exactly what I want and need - now for them to release it
I am thinking there will be an mk4 by the end of 08

Now i just got to wait that long
Rob Santiago +

Times thanked
<
Haha!

What a cool little piece of kit.

I'd grab it as a 3rd deck fo'sure!!
The People's DJ
Kefuan +

Times thanked
<
wonder what the price is

from a dumb point of view...this is still lower than the 1000 right?

wonder which will be better value for money...400 im guessing
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
yep

depends what you want i guess
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this