Slip mats

Tools
Afro thunder +

NOT AfroLeft

Times thanked
<
Slip mats
Question about slipmats if i may:

Are they meant to make the record slip more, or prevent slippage... and how can each be defined.

Upon receiving my turntables, they had a pair of thick white, felty mats with em.... which are great.. soon as i let the record go its up to speed, so cueing is a dream.

I figured i'd get something a little more .... rav0r styles tho, n bought these http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc...o?Track=GITD03

turns out they some kinda paper thin, non felt, plasticy stuff... i can spin the record backwards much easier, but it seems to 'slip' when i let it go, and takes about a full second to get up to speed, meaning i have to manually speed the record up.... making cueing less than a dream.

DJReal was kind enough to help me out a little with my predicament, recommending sicmats, and advising me that most mats will behave differently based on how thick they r, the material used, etc. etc.

But yeah, my main concern is the question up top, and secondarily, is there a way to tell whether a mat will allow slippage or not before u buy it?

Cheers!
BTM'S
Random Crew!!

Tyx - ValenTunes Day
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
You can try cutting out an old plastic record slip to sit between your slipmat and platter. That thick plastic that your old might have covering one of the precious records from the 70 or something. Sometimes you need it, sometimes you don't. This can help the slipmat move smoother. Now days it's a paper insert between the record and the record sleeve/cover, but they used to be made of platic. Some of it was shitty and thin, but some of it was thick, you could use this too. Some slipmats need them, some don't. It comes down to personal preference and feel, that's why DJ's take slipmats with them to gigs, so you have a similar feel everytime you play.

The slipmat and record should move together. If you hold the record, the slipmat should also stop but the platten keep moving. So the friction will be between the platter and the slipmat, not the slipmat and the record. That's why it can help the friction with a platic insert.
I'll be back...
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
Just looked at the ones you brought, they have a plastic bottom so you don't need the plastic insert, but you could always try it, it may give it a different feel.

Also, I think it's technic slipmats that have a black plastic insert premade that come with the slipmat to put between the platter and the slipmat to keep that smooth feeling and reduce friction.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the feel you prefer and what works best for you.
I'll be back...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »