The Music Studio

What gear has failed you and how?

Tools
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
What gear has failed you and how?
Just as a bit of a warning to others considering buying 2nd hand gear, or new for that matter.

I'll start:

Novation Supernova II rack, 2nd hand. It has 8 outputs including the main stereo out pair. The stereo out pair which includes the headphone out is completely dead. First I noticed the volume would drop after warming up the first week of owning it, I didn't think anything of it, thought it was my cabling or something, then it gradually got worse then dead. The other 6 outputs are fine, and luckily usable in "performance mode" which allows parts to be routed to different outputs. This is a known problem with these unit. Inside the while thing is one board with surface mount components so a bit hard to DIY fix the thing.

Motu 2408 mk3. 2nd hand, inputs 1 and 2 had digital noise at low levels, dependent on the source, ie no sournce, no noise, but at very low levels the audio was bitcrushed or something. I think I bought it like that off egay, but didn't notice til after a coulpe of weeks, I thought the problem was bad wiring, anyway I promptly sold it on ebay "as is"

Cakewalk UM-3G midi inteface. new, I had 3 of these, one just completely died out of the blue, other two are fine. Probably still under warranty if I can find the receipt.

Novation X-Stations (X-25 and X-49) Bought the 25 new, the 49 2nd hand, both have attrocious indented pots, values jump about badly, which are the Data/Value knob used for patch selection and other shit, the tempo control, the waveform selector and semitone control. All the faders and smooth pots are fine.
soundcloud
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
<
none i pick my gear after doing allot of reserch HOWEVER my opals that i recently picked up turned out to be rubish they replaced them with new ones today am yet to open them up and try them sort of want to sell them to get some genelec 8050s......
http://soundcloud.com/ezzcal/ezzcal-dub-04-free-project-file-4-u
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
<
That was quick Essi, saw the post the other day of unwrapping them!

On the breaking down shitness of gear, I've been pretty lucky too really. X-Station 25 going strong, Remote 25 the same, Casio Privia px-300 still going strong after 6 years, ESI monitors are sweet, a few stomp boxes are awesome. Sorry dude.
EgosXII +

Euphoria Levels Optimum

Times thanked
<
Virus TI was an epic fail. Had it before 4.0 and it would not run on my mac. Latency issues made it virtually unusable. Solid sounds (though its so ubiquitous its basically cliched these days), but was a big fail at the time. Think most of the issues are solved now, but I sold it a long time ago--
-Everything I Say is a Lie-

OMG buy my Progressive House/Trance songs @ Beatport

OMG buy my PSY-Trance EP @ Beatport!
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by EgosXII View Post

Virus TI was an epic fail. Had it before 4.0 and it would not run on my mac. Latency issues made it virtually unusable. Solid sounds (though its so ubiquitous its basically cliched these days), but was a big fail at the time. Think most of the issues are solved now, but I sold it a long time ago--

haha i had that issue too , used to run it in a diffrent logic enviroment in the end and treat i more like my virus C, never had that issue after 3.5 update tho most of the time it is the USB and BUS configuration which muckis it up lol
hpstekno +

Times thanked
<
had a digitech studio quad and there was a fault with the power adaptor .. was a proprietary 4 pin din power plug with no locking mechanism ... used to sag under the weight of the lead eventually shorting the board connectors..

was playing around one night smelt electrical smoke .. turned around the thing was on fucking fire.. luckily it was isolated on it's own power board kicked the power out and got the fire out quick smart
hopselectroniks@myspace
MY JJJunearthed page
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
^^^ What a design fail, huh!!! Should have been recalled!

Anyway, over the years:

Roland HS-60...
Countless dud keys, needing regular dismantling and cleaning the contacts. Too much hassle, sold it.

Roland MC-505...
Snapped a couple of knobs in transit from a bush gig, so my fault. Also the odd mute buttons would wear and need replacing. And the big one is the LCDs would drop lines and fail altogether. Another DIY solder job with the parts from Roland.

Yamaha AN1x...
Strange random crackling sound, attached to certain patches. Seem to be linked to not letting a sound completely play out while turning it off. Others reported similarly. Seemed to correct itself within a couple of years. No problems since. Weird.

Numark 3ch mixer...
Uneven registering of levels on meters, and picked up radio stations on the headphone lead. Just shit. Returned.

Behringer Autocom Pro...
Shitty 'click' as the compressor engaged, so pain in the ass when compressing bass sounds (with minimal high frequency content to mask the sound), though likely part of the (poor) design rather than a fault per say. Swapped it over anyway. Next unit featured a savage distortion on one of the channels, clearly a fault so swapped over again. I also had a Composer Pro that, while performing reasonably OK, I remember that its buttons were wired in reverse so it did the opposite of whatever it was supposed to (eg. switch between modes).

Roland/Edirol ??? 32 note controller...
Dud keyboard from new, with velocity dying on some notes (ie. full volume) and dead on others, if I recall. Anyway, had to have the entire keyboard strip replaced under warranty. Many similar reports, and Roland/Edirol have updated the model so possibly no more issues?

Novation ReMOTE 37 SL...
Lost the backlight in the far right of the right-hand LCD. Would squeeze the chassis and it'd come back on. Then it eventually went out for good. Strangely it seems to now been working perfectly after a year of its outage. Also, while the keyboard feel is great, have noticed the velocity response isn't perfectly matched across all keys. So can be hard to get a consistent sound. And the pitch bend always had a extra bit of give towards the end of its travel when pushed left, but hit the end of its travel normally when pushed far right.

Mackie 1604-VLZ PRO...
The notorious ribbon cable fault, with random channels breaking up / dropping out. Eventually had the part covered for free by Mackie (I paid for labour) years later as it was a known issue. These days, aside from a crackly control volume pot (main outs are perfect), and needing to maintain the cleanliness of the jacks (to be expected with any gear), it's still running well.

Digidesign DIGI002 Rack...
One of four the mic-preamps has an excessive noise/crackle issue, which registers on the lowest meters in the software, so basically making the channel useless. Have pulled the thing open, tried reseating all connections, no avail. Probably no point getting it looked at, could no doubt replace it for the cost of the repair.

Apple MacBook Pro...
1) Dead video controller (ie. black screen) - replaced free of charge by Apple 1 week outside of 1 year warranty.
2) Double 'click' by mouse button, more annoying from an audible standpoint, rarely affected performance. Replaced part free by Apple.
3) Poor performing and swollen battery, again replaced by Apple free of charge outside warranty (fire risk, though they wouldn't do anything if it wasn't swollen).
Reasonably impressed by Apple coming to the party, though not cool is that the current battery is telling me it needs a service, and at one point wouldn't charge, despite it being not more that 14 months old. Ain't gonna be paying $200 for a battery, Apple.

I think that's it.
teknik +

...what sort of name is teknik!?

Times thanked
<
not looking to sell that AN1x anytime soon Spectrum?

Bee pretty lucky, since I buy my stuff mainly new. I don't see the point of buying 2nd hand on hear you want to invest in and put your heart into.
Kwzé SoundCloud

diiFX SoundCloud

diiTuning Mastering Lab

Store DJ Dude
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Macbook pro - First it was the SATA transfer cable, then the motherboard went

Edirol UA25 - Has developed quite a lot of noise/buzz/humm, could be loose connections inside... hoping to upgrade ASAP.

Axiom 25 - Went dead after about 2 months, the axiom warranty covered it and they were fairly quick though. New one is going strong.
Tech-One
bobmoog +

Times thanked
<
Juno 106 - usual dead voice chip, fixed it myself, next day two more fail... Needless to say I quickly off loaded this. Someone got a bargain.

Space Echo - this thing is harder to maintain than my gf. Dead motor, regular maintenance, new tapes. It still - just - works though and man does it sound good. I picked it up for a peanuts though, so I am not complaining.

Also my Motu ultralite MkII only runs on bus power now.

Other than that, I have been lucky.
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,923 Times in 690 Posts
Well my Carillon keyboard has crapped out on me but anyone could have seen that coming.

I had an Asus laptop that I used for live performance about 6 years ago, never missed a beat at shows but if you started using the internet (specifically sites with flash content) it would spin the fans up to maximum noise, overheat and crap out...
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,498 Times in 1,444 Posts
M-Audio Fasttrack pro: my first interface, didn't do enough research before the purchase, being USB 1.0 had really monitor/record bad latency issues. More my fault, but at the time I never thought a company would still be peddling usb1.0 devices when usb2.0 had been commonplace for 7 years.

My motu ultralite mk3 hybrid was reliable but one of the midi ports was unusable since it was crooked behind part of the fascia preventing a cable being plugged in. Didn't bother me as I don't use outboard midi gear, but was a bit of a pain when it came time to sell.
dn-ul +

yooo

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,174 Times in 193 Posts
omniphsere, trillian, motu ultra light mk 3, uad satelitte, rode nt1a microphone, maschine, mbp, ableton live, komplete 8 and micro korg : all completely useless can't make a decent sounding track, countless time trouble shooting how to use it all.
http://www.triplejunearthed.com/DanJohn
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by teknik View Post

not looking to sell that AN1x anytime soon Spectrum?

Well well well...

I am kinda torn whether to let my AN1x (and also my Kawai K5000S) go. Despite their lack of use these days, there is some sentimental value (having had the AN1x for almost 15 years).

Of course, if someone through a stupendous offer at me, I may be able to be convinced!
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
Oh yeah one more, not really a failure though:

Roland V-Synth original version, bought 2nd hand, overall built like a tank but it showed signs of many many hours of use. The volme fader was scratchy, and at times the interface buttons would respond twice to a press, or not at all. Touchscreen showed plenty of image burn, and it went so far out of calibration one day it was impossible to reset the machine, I backed up all my patches, pulled the rear cover off and removed some boards, removed ribbon cables, shorted out (through a resistor) some caps that still had voltage on them, re-assembled it all and it worked perfectly. I've looked around in the cyber spaces and havn't found these to be common problems. I sold it cos I needed the $$$ a while back, not cos I didn't like it, thing was a beast.

Quote:

Bee pretty lucky, since I buy my stuff mainly new. I don't see the point of buying 2nd hand on hear you want to invest in and put your heart into.

Some things you can not buy new, and at the price some current (not newly released) models go for second hand, you can get two for the price of one new one. Buying and selling 2nd hand allows you to try out gear, and if redundant or you just don't like it you can sell it for basically what you originally paid, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more. I currently have, and have sold in the past, plenty of flawless old gear.
soundcloud
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

Edirol UA25 - Has developed quite a lot of noise/buzz/humm, could be loose connections inside... hoping to upgrade ASAP.

Axiom 25 - Went dead after about 2 months, the axiom warranty covered it and they were fairly quick though. New one is going strong.

I got both of these and neither have skipped a beat over the 3 years or so i've had them.

UA-25 has now been made redundant by the A&H Zed10 ... keeping it for laptop excursions though
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
jester_fu +

I ammmmmmmm

Times thanked
<
I thought the used Moog Voyager i bought was dud when the midi didn't work... and suspected that's why it was offloaded cheap. Ends up it was a menu setting and the guy i bought it off was a real douche. Even more than me

Everything else i've got that's needed fixing was bought knowing it needed fixing. The Soundtraks desk has moments of insanity but a service or some larv gets her back online hissing with analogue goodness. Monitors bought with air leaks around tweeters for cheap cheap from distributor but some diy gaskets fixed that up... never another issue. My AN1x also has moods, generally power supply or battery related. Thought my Novation BS had kicked it, sent an email to Novation and they replied it'd be the psu - and it was

So, yeah, only dud gear i seem to buy comes in ziplock baggies.
Heist9000 +

Life of Riley

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,923 Times in 690 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester_fu View Post

So, yeah, only dud gear i seem to buy comes in ziplock baggies.

Will666 +

Times thanked
<
Prophet 08 for me. The pots are jacked, you turn them one way and if you turn to fast the settings just go where they want. Having to get a mod to a new synth to make it work properly if a fail in my book.

Plus the sounds are ok and for that price i'm not really down with ok sounds I want great sounds.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Beatport
Blog
Twitter
YouTube Production Tutorials
teknik +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

Of course, if someone through a stupendous offer at me, I may be able to be convinced!

How much you want
Kwzé SoundCloud

diiFX SoundCloud

diiTuning Mastering Lab

Store DJ Dude
teknik +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe-Trojan View Post

Some things you can not buy new, and at the price some current (not newly released) models go for second hand, you can get two for the price of one new one. Buying and selling 2nd hand allows you to try out gear, and if redundant or you just don't like it you can sell it for basically what you originally paid, sometimes a bit less, sometimes a bit more. I currently have, and have sold in the past, plenty of flawless old gear.

Yeah of course, there will always be good value items out there. I'm talking about people who only buy on the cheap expecting it to shoot rainbows and butterflies when most of the time it goes klang. Everyone knows that guy.
Kwzé SoundCloud

diiFX SoundCloud

diiTuning Mastering Lab

Store DJ Dude
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

How much you want

Hmmm... well given I'm now heading full circle back to the K10s (smaller, wide dispersion all directions).... perhaps we can work out some sort of swap+cash deal???You don't happen to want a K5000S too by chance? Together, that would sure to work some QSC swapsey magic.
leedy +

Times thanked
<
Digidesign's M boxes been through 2 of them and they all have dodge preamps making the inputs useless
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Cakewalk UM-3G midi inteface. new, I had 3 of these, one just completely died out of the blue, other two are fine. Probably still under warranty if I can find the receipt.

Pulled it apart, pulled out then plugged the ribbon connectors back in, working 100%
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
I take that back, same unit is still fuct.
ayampanggang +

yeah

Times thanked
<
Novation Remote 37SL: Automap is really, really hard to get working and in the end I couldn't bother anymore. Don't really like the feel of anything except the keys.
http://soundcloud.com/lolski
93 DJs +

Times thanked
<
Vestax VCI-100; good old right platter died, not that i scratched or anything; but it did make for a fun night when trying to get tracks aligned...
pan_down +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will666 View Post

Prophet 08 for me. The pots are jacked, you turn them one way and if you turn to fast the settings just go where they want. Having to get a mod to a new synth to make it work properly if a fail in my book.

Plus the sounds are ok and for that price i'm not really down with ok sounds I want great sounds.

Same issue here, took it back to dealer, worked ok for a few weeks then shit itself again.
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
<
i take back what i said my opas were great in compare-sent to my genelec 8050s which are now broken because they cant handle above average SPL.....and have to send them along way to fix......as soon as i get them back they are going on ebay and i am buying another set of opals lol
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayampanggang View Post

Novation Remote 37SL: Automap is really, really hard to get working and in the end I couldn't bother anymore. Don't really like the feel of anything except the keys.

That's not faulty gear, that's you not liking it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essi View Post

i take back what i said my opas were great in compare-sent to my genelec 8050s which are now broken because they cant handle above average SPL.....and have to send them along way to fix......as soon as i get them back they are going on ebay and i am buying another set of opals lol

Guess you should have done more research!

What exactly happened to your 8050s?? Were you using them with a sub? You're never going to get much out of an 8" driver by itself if you are chasing above average SPL.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essi View Post

You're out of control!
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Guess you should have done more research!

What exactly happened to your 8050s?? Were you using them with a sub? You're never going to get much out of an 8" driver by itself if you are chasing above average SPL.

i know right, but yeh they failed when mastering something so were not incredibly loud but apparently loud enough to blow out the amp/ bass driver which is weak as . According to other 8050 "this monitor was not made to go loud" :S which for a 8inch monitor in these days is like buying a Ferrari and only being limited to 50km/h......
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
Bump.

So I planned a romantic night in with some hardware and fired up my Novation Supernova 2 after 6 months of it sitting in the cupboard. Screen is now dead, it was perfect before.

Got to screw around trying to fix it now.
soundcloud
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
Ah crap! Wonder what it is. It'd be a pain to troubleshoot if it's not a straight out LCD swap.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
The display looks to be blown with a black blob about 1cm wide on the inside of the glass. Either the screen died on it's own accord or something killed the screen. Hopefully I can get a replacement and see what happens when I turn it on, or depending on what info I can acquire I'll check some voltages before replacement.
soundcloud
jester_fu +

I ammmmmmmm

Times thanked
<
Have you emailed novation support? They've been pretty helpful whenever i've asked them about legacy gear i have... pointing out what they think the cause and solution are, in general.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
I emailed Novation support in the UK but am yet to email the Aust. distributor. See how we go but the breakdown is hardly stopping me from making a triple platinum album. I just hope that spares are available within a reasonable timeframe.
soundcloud
jester_fu +

I ammmmmmmm

Times thanked
<
UK are who i contacted.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
UK referred me to the Aust. distributor who I contacted yesterday. Let's see how this pans out.
soundcloud
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
I just though i'd drop in here and update this thread with no news ... nothing thus far has failed me ... apart from the battery in my Acer laptop. That fukked out ages ago.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met

Last edited by Funkedub: 19-Jun-14 at 08:37pm

Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
Picked up a used MS-20 mini the other night. I tested all the knobs before handing over the cash but I didn't try out any patching. So I spent some romantic time with it last night and it turns out the cutoff freq port for the highpass works most of the time, and the cutoff freq port for the lowpass works very rarely. Seller has agreed to fix it, lets see how this one pans out.

Edit: The things I own own my arse.
soundcloud

Last edited by Joe-Trojan: 21-Jun-14 at 06:57pm

Reason: Edit: The things I own own my arse.

Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
<
I failed myself. The above fault was from me not using the eg1/ext and eg2/ext knobs properly.
soundcloud
Neurotoxin +

bloooaarrarrgghh

Times thanked
<
ah biggest disappointment but also awesome after tearing out my hair and hundreds of wasted hours,
  • virus ti
mostly play nice... consistently...got serious grief with this thing; worst thing about hardware...you get excited at the prospect of your new workflow, shit everythings going to be really easy, a lot easier now, i mean you did just spend all that money!. Might make you angry if there were 5 or 6 problems....before you could even think about getting sound from that thing properly...maybe? most problems were minor but all time wasting, unfortunately its a sexy synth so it gets to be a **** at times and you work for it, but its always the worst time e.g. 7 layers of a tune is virus TI, now using the ti with this project will cause a BSOD, consistently, usb/virus related...awesome shit. Replace it with 150$ synths etc... and time taking, then the hardware firmware wipes...never assume your machines will get along in their machine network they often will cause grief.

• Trigger finger m-audio
i kinda mistreated after it started assing up, e.g. pads started to stick and read random midi cc data as if pressure was being applied when not (likely the pad stuck or weird material warping, unevenly as it reshapes, you could mostly tap this out though, only other problem was one slider starting to lose contact with the circuit board i think, it would either follow after slowly not at at all or complete randomness, may be eroded on the circuit board.

Probably the worst was the
  • edirol pcrm50
- took about 3-4 years but the first non rotary knob (plastic pot things?) , with that cheap weighting, was great for automation, started to blurt random midi though, which sometimes was useful; as a creative tool (optimism) haha;
using it like some aftertouch lfo chain.

Anyway other than that another knob was not working on the m50 and two sliders were dead, top and bottom keys began to stop working after years, also knobs 2 and 4; one was permanently bound to the cc of another, and i could not seem to change this like a mirror mode even with cc changed,
also the software support was shit,
some fucking hex editor style confusing as hell update procedure that i could not get working....
edirol made maudio's enigma shit look amazingly easy via comparison. Im sure its easy once you know it, but it was not apparent and i am an IT person so...yeah...edirol.... Shame about that roland gaia business too, no sh201 - anyway -

After the top and bottom the middle keys began dying out around the 3-5 year mark, and more were on the way. Since got a novation mk ii, which someone spilt coke into the fatar keybed
everything is 100% fine, no sticky keys, i am amazed! but fuck i hate rotary, die you filthy rotary whore endless encoders arghh. Terrible acceleration and movement to action always, cool LEDs soften the blow though...

Oh and best rule if you want liquids in studio is, so simple; gravity is a downwards force, always keep your cups in a low shelf hardware up top, sounds obvious (or no liquids) but that alone has solved any issues for me. Hope the obvious tip helps someone else not spill water onto their gear and freak the fuck out remember, unplug it first before it shorts then drain it, only worry is amount of liquid, type, where it is if its near a capacitor if the capacitor has capacitance to short anything, or if anything will corrode, good to stick to water, even black coffee is not so bad, no sugar.. science away.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »