The DJ Booth

2 degrees of separation...

Tools
Blu-Dome +

Times thanked
<
2 degrees of separation...
this may be a silly question but is it frowned upon (ie: kinda cheating) to mix a chunk of your set using same artists?

For instance, i have this great section of a techhouse/prog set where it mixes from a james harcourt track (original mix), into a james harcourt (Shiloh remix), into a Shiloh Track. Or in another set, I even mix 2-3 different remixes of the same track into each other.

I only do it for a few tracks in any given set if at all, and I reckon it sounds amazing. Also im just a bedroom banger at this stage...

But is this something that would be acceptable to do when playing out??

Again sorry if this is a silly question i havent posted for yonks.

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz

"I'd say he's more of a music slut than a whore. Whores get paid, sluts don't they just love it. Keeping your musical legs open and getting pile driven by techno while tech house gives you the reach around."

http://soundcloud.com/gabriel_gilmour
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Why not, if it sounds good then go for it.
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
heeps of people do it man sounds good doo itt/close thread
Danege +

Times thanked
<
I don't think anyone's going to lynch you for doing that if it sounds good.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
i thought this was going to be a thread for bragging about how you're separated from some shit hot international DJ/producer by 2 degrees of separation

fail
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Lukey +

Puke

Times thanked
<
its only the djs who will really notice, but there is a point where it gets ugly
i remember when that first plump djs album came out and you would hear people play every track from it in their set, that was painful after awhile as so many people did it
something
crazy_tripper +

praline and dick

Times thanked
<
yo, gabe, how you doin? i reckon if it sounds good do it. i usually try to keep a bit of variety, but ultimately if it sounds good i'll do it

plus going original into a remix can sound awesome, depending on the tunes

edit: word, lukey, there's definitely a point where only the producer himself should be playing that many of his songs
that gusface grillah site is amazing
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Yeah, nothing wrong with it...one of the best I've done personally was dropping the Deep Dish remix of Diamond Life (you know, the one which is just Meat Katies remix of Stephan K's Numb, but with the Diamond Life vox over it) and right from the very first breakdown, mixed in Dean Colemans vocal mix. Both vocals synch'ed up perfectly...4/4 over a break...heald in the mix for 75% of the Dean Coleman remix then when the DD remix hit the last breakdown, stripped the Coleman mix out and dropped in something fresh. It was one of those "OMFG this is awesome...I fucking rock" moments of DJing...but likes others have said, most in the crowd didn't even notice it was 2 tracks going for the last 5 minutes. Heathens!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
chico_brisbane +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
I pretty much only play Jaytech and Deadmau5

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b

I thought the original mix was better but as chico put it... "This track's a bit batty"

Playing:

Transmission "The Magic City" @ The Arena - June 21st

MySpace
Inthemix Profile
Blu-Dome +

Times thanked
<
sweet as didnt think there would be any dramas with it but im glad lukey pointed out the plumps issue, i was interested to hear if any peops had encountered a set where it was taken too far.

also Funkdub i am actually a robot human hybrid closely related to daft punk. i just dont like to brag about it

gussigan how you been!? hope the west is treatin you well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz

"I'd say he's more of a music slut than a whore. Whores get paid, sluts don't they just love it. Keeping your musical legs open and getting pile driven by techno while tech house gives you the reach around."

http://soundcloud.com/gabriel_gilmour
cowabungadude +

Times thanked
<
what about pure David Guetta for an hour?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
It can always be taken too far...wasn't till I got the recording of my set after Nick Warren back home that I though "Faaaark, did I play enough Luke frickin' Chable???"

It was just the sound which was suiting the time morning I was playing/the vibe I wanted the party to close out on...but still, I think there was 5 of his tracks/remixes in the last 45mins to an hour of my set. Can't have been a bad thing though, everyone was still there loving it and gagging for more while the club manager was glaring at me to stop. Hee hee
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
chappo_85 +

Hai!

Times thanked
<
playing out its totally fine. as everyone has said if it sounds good do it. i wouldn't be too keen to do it on a promo or anything you were planning to record and hand out, as it'll pigeonhole you pretty badly.
See me naked at: Jack'd 2nd Birthday with Format B @ Mono 25/03/11

http://soundcloud.com/chappo
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
Well, this CD has been championed as a classic, check out the track list:

Renaissance: the Mix Collection (Sasha and John Digweed)

Disc: 1
1. Song For Life (Lemon Interupt Mix) - Leftfield
2. Song For Life (Dub For Life Mix) - Leftfield
3. Song For Life (Steppin Razor Mix) - Leftfield
I'll be back...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »