Food, Photography and Travel

Anyone rocking film ? " Vintage " cameras ?

Tools
Darko_ +

here to be scene

Times thanked
< 0
Anyone rocking film ? " Vintage " cameras ?
Just inherited my Grandpa's classic Voigtlander Vito B

Now I really wanna tighten up a loose screw on the bottom, whack some film in and snap happy

Anyone know any cool film courses in syd ? Or cool Dark-rooms where you can process your own work ? Now I'm wishing I'd made friends with my High School art teacher..

Who else is still filim-ing ?

Anyone else got a cool old cam ?
Darko_ +

here to be scene

Times thanked
< 0
Also got a sweet old light meter.. though looking a bit rougher than this one...

Sixtomat Gossen Color Finder
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darko_

Just inherited my Grandpa's classic Voigtlander Vito B.

Hey, nice one. How does it feel to use. All the old cameras we had in the family were gritty and stiff to get going.

Could be a bit of fun. And a crack-up to whip out at a festival.

What lens? 50mm? And is it a f/2.8? If so, it beats most stock 35mm lenses for getting light in there. Pop some fast film in there and you might score yourself some pretty cool club shots too.

I take it focusing must be vague? Having to guess distances?

Anyway, love to hear how you get on with it.

Quote:

Now I'm wishing I'd made friends with my High School art teacher..

Hmmm... pretty sure if you'd made friends with my High School art teacher, you'd have slept the night.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 147

Quote:

Who else is still filim-ing ?

Anyone else got a cool old cam ?

Well, not exactly old, but my EOS 30 may soon see its final outing in a while (for a trip to Broome in February), that is, assuming it doesn't get kicked out of bed for a 400D to take its place.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 147
Hmmm... looking at that pic now, that 20-35mm lens is going to look ridiculously fat on a baby 400D body. And I originally said I wanted something compact.
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
< 0
Far too many, and I'm always picking up more here and there. I tend to find little rippers on eBay and in opshops that no-one else wants.
The Duke +

better resolution than the real world

Times thanked
< 482
I found this a while ago (belonged to my dad). I haven't tried using it yet because I haven't got around to finding the batteries for it. There's a few scratches on the lens though which might make it useless.

By the way Darko_, that light meter looks cool.

Last edited by The Duke: 09-Jan-08 at 07:46am

SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephalapod chewing legend

Times thanked
< 2,821
i've used darkroom space here before;

http://www.acp.org.au/

they're near where paddington markets are held on oxford street

this page explains the hire rates and facilities;

http://www.acpworkshop.com/index.php?obj_id=facility
Everyone knows your snorkeling is just a cover for transition to Aqua Aerobics.
andreas +

wheredafukarewe

Times thanked
< 0
I had some Linhoff's that my grandpa used to own but they where way out of my league so
I sold them.
I have a remaining Leica. It takes huge film and I have some black and white in there at the
moment but havent gotten around to really testing it yet.

(Should get on that before I head off overseas.)
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke

I found this a while ago (belonged to my dad). I haven't tried using it yet because I haven't got around to finding the batteries for it. There's a few scratches on the lens though which might make it useless.

By the way Darko_, that light meter looks cool.

It's very hard to get the original batteries for it any more. They're like a stubby AA that puts out 6 volts. The common thing to do is use a battery adapter and use readily available 4LR44/S28px/etc batteries. They come in three chemistries - Alkaline, Lithium, and Silver Oxide. Alkalines are easiest to get and cheapest, but their voltage curve isn't optimal. Most people suggest this doesn't affect the Electro 35 though. Silver Oxide is the best but the most expensive. Lithium tends not to be suitable for camera use as it has problems giving short bursts of energy required to trip shutters, etc.

I use and reccomend these adapters that turned up in about a week. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Battery-Ada...QQcmdZViewItem

I use and reccomend these silver oxide batteries. One should last you a year. The same seller also does 6 packs and 32 packs. If you know other photographers that use these (they're quite commonly used in film cameras) then split a big pack with them. To give you a rough idea of the savings, these usually retail for $12 to $20 EACH locally.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6V-4SR44-Silv...sid=p1638.m118

The biggest problem though when finding Electro 35s is they are in bad shape and need some TLC. But with a full service they're one of the best 35mm cameras ever made. Yours is the original G model so is probably holding up better than most of the later GSN models that are floating around.
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,087

not overly exciting. running a 50mm f/1.7 and 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 macro on it. ran two rolls through it but then batteries died so no metering so no more use. still havent processed the film so not sure how it will turn out

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

The Brain +

すけべ

Times thanked
< 175

Asahi Pentax SPII, several lenses, flash etc.

I left it in Australia when I moved to Japan. Since then both parents have moves house, and no-one knows where my camera has gone!!

"It only takes one conversation with Ricardo to be obsessed with him" - Nick Karpetis, 2005
Darko_ +

here to be scene

Times thanked
< 0
^ DUDE, THAT CAMERA IS HOT !

love the font and everything on it

digging the other cameras alot too, would love to see your collection posted phunk

spectrum, i think your cameras a little new for these here parts but will keep you informed of my vintage endevours, if and when they happen maybe a perth road trip..
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
< 0
For full effect with the 60s-70s SLRs you've gotta have the extra wide paisley neck strap.
The Brain +

すけべ

Times thanked
< 175
Want!

"It only takes one conversation with Ricardo to be obsessed with him" - Nick Karpetis, 2005
The Duke +

Times thanked
< 482
Thanks for the info phunkdust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkdust

The biggest problem though when finding Electro 35s is they are in bad shape and need some TLC. But with a full service they're one of the best 35mm cameras ever made. Yours is the original G model so is probably holding up better than most of the later GSN models that are floating around.

I honestly thought the camera was going to be completely hopeless after your last comment

Quote:

I'll give you $10 for it

phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
< 0
They're superb cameras but they weren't exactly built to the finest tolerances, and most examples have at least something *wrong* with them, this does not include the foam washers and light seals which would need to be replaced anyway.

EDIT: My kit, even though I hate listing what I have (makes me feel like those buttgrubs that list every piece of gear they have in their forum sig)

Canon 20D, Bronica ETRS, Olympus XA, Yashica Electro 35 GSN

Last edited by phunkdust: 10-Jan-08 at 10:03pm

tecks +

madliberated

Times thanked
< 2
The bronica ETRS is 6x6 yeah?
How is it? I'd like to get one or a Hassy 500.

Anyway I still use film (sold my DSLR a while ago), just using a Nikon FE, circa '78 I think, not exactly vintage but it's a great camera. I have a 50mm 1.8 and a 24mm 2.8, would like to get one of those Zenitar full frame fisheyes, you can get them built specially for F-mount with a jumping aperture so you don't have to do stop-down metering like with the other mounts.
Darko_ +

here to be scene

Times thanked
< 0
camera in the front oozes sex, phunk
Nothin' but broken windows here
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
< 0
ETRS - 6x4.5
SQ - 6x6
GS1 - 6x7

If you want square format, get the SQ, it's fucking brill. Zenzanon lenses are great, just as good as Mamiya. Hassys are great but you pay a bit extra for what gain. Sure you can use real original Carl Zeiss lenses (spoof) but what does that add to your photos. If you want to go to MF, pick up a good working camera and start shooting with it, don't get into the magic camera syndrome.

Best way to get an SQ is to bring one over from the US. My ETRS came from the US, on eBay, got it for a shitload less than you could ever hope to find one locally, and picked up a couple new lenses too. The SQ only has one series of lens but if you go the ETRS then note the difference between MC and PE lenses. Always go for PE lenses if you get an ETRS.

That said the whole range is good and incredibly fucking tanky and well built.

You can also look at Mamiya gear, lots to choose from there, and there are plenty of MF rangefinders about, nice and stealthy. TLRs are great fun too, A Mamiya C330 or Yashicamat 124 are great little performers.

Last edited by phunkdust: 15-Jan-08 at 10:13pm

datakid +

RACK OF LAME

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOKEYDOKEY

i've used darkroom space here before;

http://www.acp.org.au/

they're near where paddington markets are held on oxford street

this page explains the hire rates and facilities;

another vote for the ACP - i have friends who've had really positive experiences doing courses there.

it's very professional.
the jingle jangle of a thousand lost souls.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,821

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOKEYDOKEY

looking over this makes me want to go do some b&w printing again...and i've still got a roll to develop...mmmm...getting hungry now

also noticed for $30/yr membership there's a whole bunch of discount offers available. and for the poor students, if you're available to volunteer time there it seems they've got deals for cheaper access.
runlolarun +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 0
I have two bags of immaculate camera equipment that belonged to my Grandfather who died in the 60’s, he must have been a meticulous fellow as the bags include original packaging and instructions (And had been sat on a shelf and never used until I got mits on them about 30 years on!)

I've had it serviced a couple of times, and I think it shits on any other camera I’ve ever used, even though I don't use it much anymore...

Mamiyas are the business though. I always wanted one of those.
The Duke +

Times thanked
< 482

Quote:

The biggest problem though when finding Electro 35s is they are in bad shape and need some TLC.

My dad's camera has been sitting in it's case for about 20 years so I'm hoping it's still working

(It's a hard case, but you can remove the top so you can still use the camera)

This isn't film, but close to vintage

Work was throwing it out so I took it. It's a Sony digital camera. Surprisingly it has 10x optical zoom. But even more so is it's memory card

I've never realised they used floppy disks in the early digital cameras

Last edited by The Duke: 27-Jan-08 at 12:04pm

Darko_ +

here to be scene

Times thanked
< 0
^ haha, thats awesome ! definately a keeper for showing at parties
phunkdust +

ravey mayvey

Times thanked
< 0
Funny how the earlier digital cameras didn't bear any resemblance to their film counterparts because there was no mechanical need to have bits in certain places (no film transport, etc)

Nowdays the most popular cameras are based around film architecture - eg lenses in the middle... seems that the digital world can't leave it's ancestors behind.
Darko_ +

here to be scene

Times thanked
< 0
Finally got off my butt to snap some of my collection...

Just got the video camera on Sat It's a super-8, bought it @ Newtown markets for $10
djway +

Trooper

Times thanked
< 0
Nice pick up from the grandfather Darko! Post Pix kthanx

ACP, another vote. A mate of mine's used them for a lot of darkroom sexytime.

I'm still waiting for someone to post a medium format camera or Leica in here.

--djway
Klips +

camera whore

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by djway

Nice pick up from the grandfather Darko! Post Pix kthanx

ACP, another vote. A mate of mine's used them for a lot of darkroom sexytime.

I'm still waiting for someone to post a medium format camera or Leica in here.

--djway

The bronica's a MF, and someone mentioned a Leica (although didn't provide proof).

[Klips has] got have the sandiest giney in this forum.
- Krafty_x
Quickly now private klips, don your serious helmet and man your serious post for the internets are attacking - rancho
Klips ... you're an animal - djway
In Soviet Russia, Coldplay photograph you. - legalaffairs
mixxxy +

Eternal Nymphette

Times thanked
< 0

Asahi Pentax, inherited off grandfather also. I haven't used it in a few years because it needs to be repaired and I haven't bothered fixing it yet. This thread just might make me get off my arse to do so. I used it in high school, may have some prints tlaying about somewhere.

I exchanged flickr addresses with a guy at my bus stop because he was using a hassleblad. I'd never seen one before then I was in such awe at the quality results.
trippytrip +

om nom nom

Times thanked
< 8,189

Quote:

Work was throwing it out so I took it. It's a Sony digital camera. Surprisingly it has 10x optical zoom. But even more so is it's memory card

wow!!
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
< 352
This is a Kodak Retina I, made between 1939-1941. I found it lying around in my dads bedroom, collecting dust.

There is no light meter or anything - you have to guess the shutter, aperture and focus distance. I haven't shot with it yet, but would love to try it out (with my DSLR in hand, to calculate the exposure - of course).

This thing is a work of art, a fine example of the quality of Kodak before they went mass market.

PS. This was my first attempt at any real sort of product photography. What i did was shoot outside in direct sunlight with flash, against a white piece of paper.

angled +

Times thanked
< 2
I only shoot film!
"Does it make any difference?" Godolphin said. "If it were only a hallucination, it was not what I saw or believed I saw that in the end is important. It is what I thought. What truth I came to."

When the house is on fire, its better to have a psychotic fireman than no fireman at all
SPOKEYDOKEY +

Times thanked
< 2,821
I don't like to limit myself that way
The Brain +

すけべ

Times thanked
< 175

Quote:

Originally Posted by angled

I only shoot film!

Give me your digi gear then!!

roentarre +

Times thanked
< 0
Wow, what a beautiful camera you have there. I wished I could get one like that for myself.
My photo Blog
Themes of Time
Fr3d +

Times thanked
< 0
Not a still camera as per say, but picked this up in good working order at a antique store on the weekend. Has really motivated me to get off my ass and pick up my first slr

autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
< 206
I have my dads old Pentax K1000 and another Pentax that's been tucked away. I know where I want to use it, but need to get them serviced first.

Film rocks, but not having access to a darkroom makes things hard.
EAD
Cavey +

^_~

Times thanked
< 156
One darkroom, done very cheaply.

Now go ^_~

Katsu kangae wa motsu na makenu kangae wa hitsuyo.

Cavey for president. :xxnu
You're a freaky unit :trippytrip
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,346
we got out em's dad's old gear the other night from when he was a pro. Full Nikon SLR getup. I'm thinking about stealing his lenses & getting a nikon-canon adapter to stick on my 40D

his body still works but i really cbf going through the whole film process. digital is so easy & cheap!
Bwen +

bwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwen

Times thanked
< 351
talking about the whole film process, how hard would it be to setup a little dark room in your bathroom? I'm thinking of developing my own film (instead of always sending it to get by a shop) but just wondering how much it would cost and if any average joe could do it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah

Bwen spammed this thread good.

Cavey +

^_~

Times thanked
< 156
^ click on the photo I posted. The guy did it in his bathroom.

Katsu kangae wa motsu na makenu kangae wa hitsuyo.

Cavey for president. :xxnu
You're a freaky unit :trippytrip
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 147
^ Nice little set-up. Of course, it's B+W, not colour (which is much trickier, and heavily influenced by time and temperature). B+W brings its own charm, so ain't such a bad thing either.

As for the cost of doing film, a roll's around $5, and getting it professionally developed and stuck on a disk (preferably Fuji Frontier) is around $10, so the total cost is not much more than a packet of cigarettes.

There's worse habits to have.
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,576

Quote:

Haven't seen one of these in a while - we used them all the time in High School - still got a bunch of floppies floating around with pics on them from one of these babies.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Bwen +

Times thanked
< 351
On the topic of film, does anyone develop their own prints? how hard is it to setup?

Quote:

KidKenosha +

Darkness And Light

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixxxy

Asahi Pentax, inherited off grandfather also. I haven't used it in a few years because it needs to be repaired and I haven't bothered fixing it yet. This thread just might make me get off my arse to do so. I used it in high school, may have some prints tlaying about somewhere.

Hey, I have one of these sitting on my bookshelf courtesy of my mum. First SLR I ever used, did some black and white stuff with it in high school, and then carried it around for a few years shooting slide film with it.

Still love it, and it still works fine.
Bwen +

Times thanked
< 351

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cavey

^ click on the photo I posted. The guy did it in his bathroom.

i didn't know that was a link. i should have read the post before i double posted. cheers for the link cavey

Quote:

sucka_punch +

unsure

Times thanked
< 2
After visiting the camera markets in Ultimo on Sunday it got me wanting a vintage film SLR to have a play with ... what can you guys recommend? Looking at spending around $100.

Cheers!
nettsu +

http://about.me/nettsu

Times thanked
< 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31

digital is so easy & cheap!

film is a lot of fun though ^_^
i take photos
thejombo +

Times thanked
< 0
am also part of the asahi pentax club, have a 1967 edition in perfect working order with a 50mm 1.8, a 135 f3.5 and a 70 - 200f4 which is fucking shit because by the time i focus, zoom and meter the shot is long gone!

have been loving putting some b/w rolls through it, you just can't get the same feel as ilford 3200 on digi.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »