Melbourne

where to buy a second hand turntable @ a decent price (and of good quality)?

Tools
Samtastic +

Times thanked
< 1
where to buy a second hand turntable @ a decent price (and of good quality)?
hey all,
i actually work with CD turntables and digital files. however, as all you vinyl junkies know, somethings are only available (at a good quality) on wax. So i need to get myself a turntable to convert some of this wicked 12"s into digital files.

so where do you recommend i pick up a decent used turntable in Melbourne? cash converters tend to have pretty shit prices.

also, being the (humble) amateur i am, the sound quality depends on the condition of the records (mint) and the head unit, right? the actual turntable shouldnt matter too much...?

cheers all
johnjay +

Times thanked
< 0
your an amateur with an awesome 12 inch collection and no turntable?

how does that work?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,331

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samtastic

also, being the (humble) amateur i am, the sound quality depends on the condition of the records (mint) and the head unit, right? the actual turntable shouldnt matter too much...?

In a nutshell, yeah. You won't need a Technics 1200 for what you want to do, but you'd still want something of semi decent quality as the wiring setup betweenn the headshell through the tone arm and the leads out the back going to the mixer could have an impact.

Surely you know some other DJ whos turntable you could just borrow for a day or so?
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
ben_slide +

Times thanked
< 22
just hire one.. easy and chea[.. get decent carts, decent leads, decent soundcard, record in high qual.
gigs, DJ and production info
marketing, web, advertising here : thinktank
Jimmay +

Times thanked
< 0
yeah you could probably hire one from that joint on Argyle st in Fitzroy, cant remember the name of the place though.
sm1clatxi +

some one call a taxi

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben_slide

just hire one.. easy and chea[.. get decent carts, decent leads, decent soundcard, record in high qual.

agreed,
Some other stuff to consider.
Anything other than a 1200 or one of top of the range Stantons probably won't last and won't sound professional. Both of these sound much better than most turntables of lesser price.
1200's also hold their value pretty well if you look after them.
The Stantons have a digital out, I think, but their analogue to digital convertors may or may not be any better than a decent sound card's.
so maybe buy a turntable and learn to play your records out as well. the records will probably last you a long time. records get scratched when you dj but very few end up unplayable even after a good flogging.

When music is mastered for vinyl it was meant to be played through a turntable pre-amp so you may get unexpected results once it's recorded and played back from a cd.
I find it ends up sounding a bit flat at the top end with less bass and muddy mids.
No matter how good your signal chain is you'll lose some quality.

Cashies at collingwood normally have 1200's pretty cheap (for a 1200)
If you're going to rent a deck and cart buy your own stylus as well and clean your records thoroughly

Rent the rig are pretty affordable for hire.
maybe this should go in the production and tech forum anyway - I'm sure a lot of people would find a solution to this very useful.

there's tons of info on the net about it anyway
sorry to bog you down, but it might save you some time and I'm pretty bored.
let us know how you go
Track Alley
Wednesday nights at Lounge with Matt Rad & Amy Matilda
Thursday nights soon - Night Skool at Eurotrash
Friday and Saturday nights Club Retro
DJ PCP
Soundcloud.com/DJPCP

Last edited by sm1clatxi: 10-Jan-08 at 09:55pm

who is who +

maturing

Times thanked
< 5
My housemate has a Numark USB turntable that he bought for under $300 new (can't remember off the top of my head). Plugs straight into a USB port. I have ripped a few records on that and the sound quality is fine.
Soundcloud

Out now:
Superbreak presents Fromage Disco
Agent 86 - So Hot (w/ Fromage Disco remix)
Supersonic Lovers - My Soul (w/ Fromage Disco remix)
Samtastic +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm1clatxi

agreed,
Some other stuff to consider.
Anything other than a 1200 or one of top of the range Stantons probably won't last and won't sound professional. Both of these sound much better than most turntables of lesser price.
1200's also hold their value pretty well if you look after them.
The Stantons have a digital out, I think, but their analogue to digital convertors may or may not be any better than a decent sound card's.
so maybe buy a turntable and learn to play your records out as well. the records will probably last you a long time. records get scratched when you dj but very few end up unplayable even after a good flogging.

When music is mastered for vinyl it was meant to be played through a turntable pre-amp so you may get unexpected results once it's recorded and played back from a cd.
I find it ends up sounding a bit flat at the top end with less bass and muddy mids.
No matter how good your signal chain is you'll lose some quality.

Cashies at collingwood normally have 1200's pretty cheap (for a 1200)
If you're going to rent a deck and cart buy your own stylus as well and clean your records thoroughly

Rent the rig are pretty affordable for hire.
maybe this should go in the production and tech forum anyway - I'm sure a lot of people would find a solution to this very useful.

there's tons of info on the net about it anyway
sorry to bog you down, but it might save you some time and I'm pretty bored.
let us know how you go

fuck me, you guys are informative = )

thanks a stack.

ill let you know how it all goes

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjay

your an amateur with an awesome 12 inch collection and no turntable?

how does that work?

ahhh, id better explain (before you all assume ive knocked off someone's collection - i could NEVER do that. seriously. i would feel like shit. if someone stole my collection, id cry for days. no shit. id be an unhappy chappy!)

ok, so i mainly work in digital and CDs, but im finding stuff (white labels and much older stuff), that just isnt available other than on vinyl. so ive started buying vinyls (wooooo discogs!).
once they've arrived (got my eye on a couple), ill start deciding on whether i should buy or rent a turntable.

thank you all!
will let you know how it goes (once i get it done)
Ben Vapid +

Nazi clique moderator.

Times thanked
< 10
Also try the buying and selling forum, always some good stuff changing hands there :

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50
Samtastic +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by who is who

My housemate has a Numark USB turntable that he bought for under $300 new (can't remember off the top of my head). Plugs straight into a USB port. I have ripped a few records on that and the sound quality is fine.

yeah i saw these, and i was thinking about it. but then i came across the Behringer UCA202 USB Interface device. let's you convert any RCA input to a USB (ie digital stream). ive got one on the way. now ill just need to pick up a turntable = )

just another option i thought i should mention
Samtastic +

Times thanked
< 1
hey guys, i have another quick question...

ok, so im thinking ill head into Cashies on Wed and see what they've got. but regardless of what i get, im planning on getting a new needle for it. So my question is, if i buy a Stanton turntable will all Stanton cartridges be compatilbe? and the same question applies to Technics.
sm1clatxi +

some one call a taxi

Times thanked
< 0
all decent turntables have a standard size socket for a head shell, on which you mount a cartridge and stylus. unless you buy an ortofon concorde cartridge which is a headshell and cartridge in one piece.
price and what you'll use it for will be a determining factor in what you buy in terms of this.
see if they have one of them as well and get them to chuck it in for free,
also talk em down on the turntable, as much as you can
good luck
Track Alley
DJ PCP
Soundcloud.com/DJPCP

SteveStrangis +

Times thanked
< 2
msg me, im selling one of my turntables etc
Samtastic +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by sm1clatxi

all decent turntables have a standard size socket for a head shell, on which you mount a cartridge and stylus. unless you buy an ortofon concorde cartridge which is a headshell and cartridge in one piece.
price and what you'll use it for will be a determining factor in what you buy in terms of this.
see if they have one of them as well and get them to chuck it in for free,
also talk em down on the turntable, as much as you can
good luck

oh groovy.
so basically, you're saying you could have a Technic 1200 w/ a Stanton cartridge?

Last edited by Samtastic: 05-Feb-08 at 07:11pm

sm1clatxi +

some one call a taxi

Times thanked
< 0
yes that's what I'm syaing
the stanton 500 series cartridges were the industry standard for a long time and many people still use them
Track Alley
DJ PCP
Soundcloud.com/DJPCP

« Previous Thread Next Thread »