The DJ Booth

CDJ400 vs CDJ800

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
yusio +

Times thanked
<
CDJ400 vs CDJ800
ok well i am up for a new setup and i am tossing up what decks to get. I have heard great reviews about the 400's and i think they look the business while still being great value for money. But at around about the same price range are the CDJ800's. Is their any advantages of getting the 800's over the 400's. I know the 400's are basically made to be able to play mp3's off a USB and you can interface with programs on your pc. But was wondering what would be the better option of the 2. The decks will be paired with a Korg Zero 4.
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
400's look way cooler Could even save a bit more and get 1000's
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
but really go to a store check them out cause i have used a 400 yet
yusio +

Times thanked
<
thought about the 1000's but might wait for the mk4's to come out. but when they first come out places will want a premium!!!
DaBro +

Serial Pest

Times thanked
<
Yep, same. I have been looking at them both too.

The way i see it the 800 looks a little easier to use with its bigger platter but i think the 400 is probably the way to go, especially if like me all your gigs are confined to your place.

The mp3 player compatability looks great, not only can you stick in your ipod but a flash drive or a portable HDD too. This appeals to me as I have all my music on an external drive so i can move it between my pc and macbook.

+ The smart loops thing looks easy and good too.

+ its midi mapable which may come in handy if you do any Ableton or similar stuff.

If you haven't already - check out the demo in the post from watsakerring at http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...=210462&page=2

PS how fantastically good is the Zero4? I lurve mine to bitz...
Orion +

Times thanked
<
since u got a zero4 which is a midi monster, get the 400's so u just have this mega uber cool midi ready setup for doin crazey ableton/serato stuff.

the fx and functionality on the 400 makes it a player fkn loaded with fun imo. have had a bit of a play with one and its great fun!
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBro

The way i see it the 800 looks a little easier to use with its bigger platter but i think the 400 is probably the way to go, especially if like me all your gigs are confined to your place.

If the platter is the only thing putting you off the 400 then don't let it be. I had a play on the CDJ400 and I can tell you the platter is superb! Same quality as the 800 and 1000 IMO.

What's the difference in price between the 400 and 800 in Oz?
I'll be back...
yusio +

Times thanked
<
the small platter isn't really putting me off at all. Though i do like the large platter of the 800 and 1000's. As for price i dont think the 400 has been released yet so not 100% sure bit i don't think their will be much more then $100-$200 in it?
DaBro +

Serial Pest

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblore

If the platter is the only thing putting you off the 400 then don't let it be. I had a play on the CDJ400 and I can tell you the platter is superb! Same quality as the 800 and 1000 IMO.

Cool thanks for that - will have to track one down and have a play

As for price, 400 = $995 for a pre-order.

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...duct_id=684059

Thats better than an 800 i tink.
JKWITS +

Times thanked
<
Just out of interest since you can use time coded cd's to run serato or traktor scratch is there a big advantage in having midi compatibility on the 400? There probably is but I don't know much about this stuff.

cheers
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBro

Cool thanks for that - will have to track one down and have a play

As for price, 400 = $995 for a pre-order.

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/cat/in...duct_id=684059

Thats better than an 800 i tink.

Fuck that's expensive!!!

I think you can get 800's for that, seen a few people around here say you can haggle with JB and get them for that price, but don't quote me. Well then it's a pretty serious decision between the two, good luck with it.
I'll be back...
Boonani +

aka Boonie

Times thanked
<
From the looks of it, the 400 is a better cdj altogether though isnt it? What makes the 800 any better? I was under the impression the 400 would take over the title of 2nd in command under the 1000s with all those features and versatility but now the prices are throwing me - there must be some catch/missing something?
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
The only put off point is the platter. but seriously i dont see it as an issue.. As best your using it for pitchbend.. If your going to scratch get serato.
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
I'm serious when I say that the platter has the same performance as the 800/1000. Not just a pitch blend, if you scratch on an 800/1000 then you could on this too. It's not a cheap platter, just a tad smaller, but you don't even notice that.

Boonani, it probly could be better than the 800, I don't know. I don't know what the differences between the two are, but I know the 800 has gotten a lot better as well since the MKI but not sure on details.
I'll be back...
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
fuck the cdj 800 i dont see how it could be better than the 400. oooh a bigger platter? come on, do you really need a big platter? how often are you touching the platter anyway?! its like saying a bus handles better than a car because its bigger

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKWITS

Just out of interest since you can use time coded cd's to run serato or traktor scratch is there a big advantage in having midi compatibility on the 400? There probably is but I don't know much about this stuff.

cheers

i think the advantage of the 400 is you a) don't need the time coded CDs and b) you don't need the serato box to sit between the mixer/pc. So literally you just hook you 400's up via USB cable and your ready to go.

Thats prob the selling point for me. I only really play at home so if i can mix MP3s via the CDJs interface and don't need to burn CDs every time i get a new track thats a +.
H2X
elwood_dj +

lets play some breaks!

Times thanked
<
i would personally go for the 800's... but looking at the 400's it looks like they have more fx if you like that, and they loook damn cool as well!

hard choice...
SYDNEY BREAKBEAT

upcoming:
04.feb - Jackin' presents KINKY MOVEMENT [UK] @ Goldfish

free downloads
soundcloud - dj elwood
facebook - dj elwood
facebook - brad elwood
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
I have a 1000 MkII and 2 100's.

as soon as is practical i will be selling all of them and getting 2 x 400's

If its for home use i seriously doubt that you will find a better table top player out there for the money.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
sparc54 +

A model citizen.

Times thanked
<
I've got two 800s, and I'm considering selling one to buy a 400, and have a combo of the two. The capabilities of the 400 interest me a lot, specifically external drive support.
Afro thunder +

NOT AfroLeft

Times thanked
<
Fuck yeah 400s \o/

Imagine going to play out somewhere (not that i do lol), and not even needing a cd case! Just a hard drive plugged in to each! BANG!
BTM'S
Random Crew!!

Tyx - ValenTunes Day
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boonani

From the looks of it, the 400 is a better cdj altogether though isnt it? What makes the 800 any better? I was under the impression the 400 would take over the title of 2nd in command under the 1000s with all those features and versatility but now the prices are throwing me - there must be some catch/missing something?

the platter is the main thing that will keep people away from the 400. that and the connectivity of the 400.

what's the point in having a USB drive with all your music if no venues have it.

unless pioneer give these things away to any and every venue, it'll be a flop like the DSP. (in comparision to the 2 dominative forces that are the 800 and the 1000)

don't get me wrong it's a great looking unit, but at the end of the day, if you have to burn CD's anyway, what's the point.
step on my cubes.
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
I must be the only one that reckons it's an ugly looking unit.
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo_

I have a 1000 MkII and 2 100's.
as soon as is practical i will be selling all of them and getting 2 x 400's
If its for home use i seriously doubt that you will find a better table top player out there for the money.

Only problem is cue points. You can pre set cue points at home on 1000's, that would be a huge selling point for me with the 1000's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

the platter is the main thing that will keep people away from the 400. that and the connectivity of the 400.
what's the point in having a USB drive with all your music if no venues have it.
unless pioneer give these things away to any and every venue, it'll be a flop like the DSP. (in comparision to the 2 dominative forces that are the 800 and the 1000)
don't get me wrong it's a great looking unit, but at the end of the day, if you have to burn CD's anyway, what's the point.

I disagree about the platter, as soon as people try them they will be sold on that. But I'll have to agree with the connectivity, you have to have a copy for your gigs anyway. It would be great just plugging a jump drive in, but unless all clubs get these, then it has no practical use outside the house. And unless it out performs the 1000's, which I strongly doubt (with the hot cues, plus they are loopable now, protable cue points, etc.) no club is going to swap. Unless like Brako said, all the clubs that are sponsored have to have them. I don't think it's going to be a flop, but that is a valid point to consider.
I'll be back...
Afro thunder +

NOT AfroLeft

Times thanked
<
Gamblore and Brack - Very valid points if lookin at how it will go down with the industry over all.

But looking at personal use for the individual (i don't imagine there's anyone here who doesn't have their own gear, and ONLY plays at clubs?), it seems to have some great little features and useful stuff. Sure, you may still have to burn a CD to play at a club, but you can save yourself having to be putting cds in and out at home. Also, i don't feel that the difference can be that big between the feel of CDJs, that you have to own a 1000 in order to be able to use the 1000s at a club.
BTM'S
Random Crew!!

Tyx - ValenTunes Day
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
One would think thou that the new features may make their way onto the 1000mk4 in the coming year/s. Then that would be the grand daddy

hey ty, wanna buy some Denon S3000 CDJs
H2X
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<
I would say that there will be a few features like this.

One would have to think the USB connectivity thing will feature in it. It would not be that hard to implement that into the current one.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
Every one is missing the point expt for haks is that there will have to be a new mk3 for the 800 coming out and a mk4 for the 1000s pioneer will be shooting them self in the foot if they wernt. The platter shouldnt really be an issue you just need to adjust your self slitly. some Cubs would be getting 1 aleast wouldnt they i dont really know club set ups. Not all djs nessasarly always work in clubs there are plenty of moblie djs out there that would use them. Well these things have made my 200s look stupied.where are u guys playing on these because i would love to go look.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

I'm a faggot

yusio +

Times thanked
<
I am thinking about the CDJ1000 mk3's as well. I know the CDJ 400's havea alot of new features but what do the 1000's have over the 400's(apart from platter size)?
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by yusio

I am thinking about the CDJ1000 mk3's as well. I know the CDJ 400's havea alot of new features but what do the 1000's have over the 400's(apart from platter size)?

waveform display and sd capability to store loops and cues would be two very big selling points to a lot of djs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by gamblore

I disagree about the platter, as soon as people try them they will be sold on that. But I'll have to agree with the connectivity, you have to have a copy for your gigs anyway. It would be great just plugging a jump drive in, but unless all clubs get these, then it has no practical use outside the house. And unless it out performs the 1000's, which I strongly doubt (with the hot cues, plus they are loopable now, protable cue points, etc.) no club is going to swap. Unless like Brako said, all the clubs that are sponsored have to have them. I don't think it's going to be a flop, but that is a valid point to consider.

many DJ's have a cry about the 200 platter.

it looks like a 200 platter, therefore shit.

it's not logical, it's just how it is.
step on my cubes.
HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE

Every one is missing the point expt for haks is that there will have to be a new mk3 for the 800 coming out and a mk4 for the 1000s pioneer will be shooting them self in the foot if they wernt. The platter shouldnt really be an issue you just need to adjust your self slitly. some Cubs would be getting 1 aleast wouldnt they i dont really know club set ups. Not all djs nessasarly always work in clubs there are plenty of moblie djs out there that would use them. Well these things have made my 200s look stupied.where are u guys playing on these because i would love to go look.

Doubt they'll release a 800mk3 or 1000mk4 this year thou. They'll let the 400 take on the market and once sales drop then hit the world with one of the above.
H2X
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

many DJ's have a cry about the 200 platter.
it looks like a 200 platter, therefore shit.
it's not logical, it's just how it is.

I have the same gripe with the platter of the 200, hate it. I thought the same with the 400 till I played with it! It performs exactly the same as the 800/1000 platter. Beautiful to use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho

waveform display and sd capability to store loops and cues would be two very big selling points to a lot of djs.

Also hot cues that are now loopable. That's a huge advantage!
I'll be back...
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
every one says that they are now loop able where they not in the mk2 or did they just suddenly people found that out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

I'm a faggot

HAKS +

Cycling Central

Times thanked
<
waveform is where serato comes in .................for home use anyway
H2X
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
no problems thus far using traktor in a club.

just take the trusty screwdriver with you and a few m-f RCA connectors.
step on my cubes.
cowabungadude +

Times thanked
<
lol, some people here comparing the two. the 400 is just an updated 200 with extra features that all these other brands have and pioneer doesn't need cause of it reliability. and then there's the people throwing the 1000 in the mix.
don't fool yourself people, the 800 MK2's are as solid as a rock and the two decks aren't even worth comparing. you want features then get the 400's, you want reliability then get 800's.
as bracko said, you wanna play mp3's then either get a laptop, or burn them to disc, 90% of places out there has either 800's or 1000's, i wonder why?
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
it's not an updated 200 at all.

and the reason why so many places have the other 2 pioneer players is because they've (CDJ800 and 1000 mk2) been on the market for about 4 years. this hasn't been in australia 4 months!

personally i think it'd be great to walk into a gig with 2 memory sticks and a pair of headphones.
step on my cubes.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
fuk that go to a gig with a pre-mixed cd, thats convienience

i'd take the 800mk2 over that 400 any day,
I actually prefer the 800mk2, to the 1000's,
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowabungadude

lol, some people here comparing the two. the 400 is just an updated 200 with extra features that all these other brands have and pioneer doesn't need cause of it reliability. and then there's the people throwing the 1000 in the mix.
don't fool yourself people, the 800 MK2's are as solid as a rock and the two decks aren't even worth comparing. you want features then get the 400's, you want reliability then get 800's.
as bracko said, you wanna play mp3's then either get a laptop, or burn them to disc, 90% of places out there has either 800's or 1000's, i wonder why?

What features does the 800 have that the 400 doesn't have? I would disagree that it is similar to a 200, the big difference I see between the 800/1000 and the 200 is the platter, and the 400 has a similar platter to the 800/1000 so I would say it's more similar to those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjay

i'd take the 800mk2 over that 400 any day,
I actually prefer the 800mk2, to the 1000's,

Why? Can you explain please.
I'll be back...
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
its more basic, does the same shit

I find the 1000s feel a bit more plasticy and arent as soft to use, they are a bit more stiff

and the platter on the 800s are perfect, maybe i've got used to it

i dont use hot cues, use 0.05 cbf tring to go up in .02 too much of a headache,

so really i dont see what extra the 1000s do?

i dont like the hot cues etc coz it fuks wif my head fast forwarding by the time i set two hot cues the track playing has finisehd, id rather carry vinyl and be able to lift the need then set all these points all the time
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

fuk that go to a gig with a pre-mixed cd, thats convienience

pretending to mix is probably harder than actually mixing i reckon

book of CD's, a bag of vinyl and a USB drive....

they're still the same tracks.
step on my cubes.
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
^^^

Fiar enough. Regarding the hot cues, thats what the SD card support is for, set hotcues at home and take it to the gig.
I'll be back...
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
assuming you have one at home.

pioneer would be onto a winner if they sold a simple cue editing program for $50 add cues to your tracks, download to SD and you're set.
step on my cubes.
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

assuming you have one at home.

Eactly, so it is an advantage to have 1000's over 800's. Wether the price difference is worth the extra features is another story.
I'll be back...
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
not really.

vestax CDX05 - $280 second hand
tascam TTM1 - $70.

does the job.

although you do have a very good point RE my software idea..... $50 for software vs probably 10+ times that on pioneers production sell price of the 1000
step on my cubes.
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
its enought of a headfuck finding tunes, then burning them, tracklisiting them, then sorting them by date and all that other shit, if i had to go and set cue points on everysingle one i'd shoot myself.

And anyway isnt that sorta just like putting in a mixed cd, coz really the part of a track you pick to cue should be selected with the energy and at the moment, if your using already selected cued bits i dunno its a bit predictable
Master Mischief +

Times thanked
<
For me CDJ1000mk3s will alway be the money...The jog on the 800 hundred does not feel the same as mk3s(sticky)...and yeah the 'hot cues' on the CDJ1000s are the bomb.

Bracko hit the nail on the head about the platter differences...but what I think it comes down is how you want to use them. If you simply want to cue up and mix then go with CDJ400s. If you want a iittle more features and more of a turntable feel(scratching, pitch bending, vinyl speed adjustment rotaries) then go for the CDJ800s.

The Denon DL3500 is also a good little unit I've used in the past. But the platter takes a bit to get used to(the platter spins and touchy as hell)...anything else is really not worth looking at because a majority of clubs will only have Pioneer CDJ1000s. (if you turn pro, you can stipulate what gear you require in your contract with the club...)

I suggest a visit to your local 'light and sound' store...hiring them out for the night...(go for a week day as weekend rates are higher). And trialing a few out for a night to see which one better suits your needs. A shop demo is cool and for some people it is all they need...but for me I like to get a real feel for things I'm investing my time and money in...

Last edited by Master Mischief: 19-Jan-08 at 11:20pm

Master Mischief +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

its more basic, does the same shit

I find the 1000s feel a bit more plasticy and arent as soft to use, they are a bit more stiff

and the platter on the 800s are perfect, maybe i've got used to it

i dont use hot cues, use 0.05 cbf tring to go up in .02 too much of a headache,

so really i dont see what extra the 1000s do?

i dont like the hot cues etc coz it fuks wif my head fast forwarding by the time i set two hot cues the track playing has finisehd, id rather carry vinyl and be able to lift the need then set all these points all the time

CDJ1000s you can adjust the jog and platter brake to suit your feel...the next time you get an opportunity to check out a CDJ1000Mk3. Play with the jog adjust and vinyl adjust rotaries...You can make the jog heavyer or lighter...all depends on how you like to pitch bend...

CDJ1000mk3s have better sound quality than it's counterparts...and way more features as far as looping, sampling and mp3 file importation managment are concerned...

Last edited by Master Mischief: 19-Jan-08 at 09:56pm

gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<

Quote:

its enought of a headfuck finding tunes, then burning them, tracklisiting them, then sorting them by date and all that other shit, if i had to go and set cue points on everysingle one i'd shoot myself.

I read this below in another thread and thought it was kinda relivant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Mischief

Lazy DJs go no where fast...its all about your own personal attitude that will determine how far you go...

Quote:

And anyway isnt that sorta just like putting in a mixed cd, coz really the part of a track you pick to cue should be selected with the energy and at the moment, if your using already selected cued bits i dunno its a bit predictable

Is it any different to an edit? It's like doing a live edit.
I'll be back...
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
oh yeh i just remembered about the wave display on the 1000s i have to admit that is good

and i never took notice of the bpm counter but its fkn accurate, just match the two and at same bpm and add lilttle nudges till its right

mxing on cdjs is cheating :0, ohk ill shutup
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »