The DJ Booth

Club DJing

Tools
Dirty Kant +

Times thanked
<
If you had have read my original post you would have realised that what i was saying that there are dj's who do not make their own tunes and do deserve the respect they recieve. They do not attempt to take an excessive amount of credit for their skills, and do it out of a true admiration, passion, and love of music; and desire to share this with others.

For many though their Dj fetish is an ego driven fetish born out of some need to be a rock star, or to seek attention;caring more about the good press than the rythm in their booty so to speak. For these people often it is making their own tunes which can prove to be the ego reducer and the passion producer that is needed.

If you are one of the former then my original post poses no threat to you, and in fact from many of the previous response I takeit tat many of you have in fact encountered and disaprove of the latter example i provided. You see your own passion as being justified and proven by the money you are willing to spend on music.

Maybe this is true.

If it is, then as I said you have no reason to be offended.

Some dj's do play 100% music that is not their own, but thy aren't overindulgent in their analysis of their own input into the music.

Much respect to these djs.

If you feel insulted, maybe it is yourself you should be demanding a bit more respect from.

In the meantime though:

Pleae don't misrepresent my post.

Last edited by Dirty Kant: 22-Mar-08 at 01:44pm

richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
I took no offence, I love music and it controls my life... I just thought it was a rather rash statement the way you put it, but regardless I have never made a single track of my own and probably never will due to lack of time and my overriding love and satisfaction of playing music made by people who are obviously far better at it than me
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
toilet trained +

Mr thunderbox

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethanzzz

I'm curious as to the legality of freely available tracks on the Internet.

For example, Tittsworth has several mp3's for free download on his website tittsworth.com (and they're 320kbps to boot!). Is it legal for a DJ to download these and play them in a set ? I've heard Tittsworth's thunderstruck dropped numerous times by reputable world renowned DJ's so I'd assume so. What makes Tittsworth's remixes legal? Has ACDC given him permission to create the remix? How would one go about finding things like this out?

If you weren't already confused enough then consider many of the music blogs that seem to have sprung up over the past few years. Palmsoutsounds posts remixes regularly on Sundays. Most (if not all) of these tracks cannot be found on beatport/itunes/juno etc. Are they unliscenced bootlegs? Would it be legal for a DJ to play these tracks? Certainly the person who produced the bootleg is at fault, not the DJ.

Whether it's a bootleg mp3 or vinyl is moot. Sure it's easier to brush off the MIPI Investigators if you can wave pressed-wax under their noses, but ethically you probably shouldn't be playing it.

MIPI doesn't seem to be too clear on these points. To be safe I guess you could just stick with the philosophy that you shouldn't play a song unless you paid for it - but I'm curious to know how the law works in these grey-areas.

well in the old days of course you had the 'white label' bootlegs, which were technically illegal, but the theory was that the remixer didnt put their name to the bootleg and it was a sort of not-for-profit type thing to gain hype and play.

its still quite common for people to chuck out the bootleg or mashup or whatever, i would say if there is no profit taking, then it would be very difficult to bring any charges againt the producer.
hang on a minute, im on the potty doing poo

http://soundcloud.com/moth-hunter
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,092 Times in 588 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by richcur

I took no offence, I love music and it controls my life... I just thought it was a rather rash statement the way you put it, but regardless I have never made a single track of my own and probably never will due to lack of time and my overriding love and satisfaction of playing music made by people who are obviously far better at it than me

i agree with you completely.

I think that Dirty Kant is just trying to bait people here because anyone with half a clue knows that ANY REPUTABLE producer would tell you that they are thankful for DJs that play their music in clubs all over the world. Producers need DJs just as much as DJs need producers.

(and just for the record most producers couldn't mix a fucking cake)
Axle Max +

Times thanked
<
After year sof paying $20 for a record and now being able to download legally on beat port to roughly $2 per track I'm just happy to be getting more for my $$$$.

Totally agree about DJs setting the example for legal downloading, robbiing the artists that make the music we love is shameful
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<
Geeze, Dirty Kart, you made some really silly statements. If I went to see a DJ and he played 50% of his own tracks I would boo him off stage, I couldn't think of anything more boring. If you are going to do that then do it properly and play live FFS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dj Whisper

(and just for the record most producers couldn't mix a fucking cake)

There aren't many DJ's that aren't producers. I really don't think this applies now days. If you aren't producing tracks it's really hard to remain on the scene.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Ange

The best producers in the electronic scene for the most part are classically or professionally trained in music/musical instrument.

Hmmm really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Good Doctor

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

DJ_Ange +

The Pleasure Is All Mine

Times thanked
<
BBC - yup ... especially in the trance scene. Gareth Emery and The Thrillseekers are classically trained. I got the opportunity to hang out with Steve Helstrip at my place after GK07 and he was mucking about with some of the tracks I'd been working on ... just to watch someone sit in front of a keyboard and punch out some seriously amazing riffs without even thinking is amazing.

Maybe I should rephrase and say ... 'some of the best producers ..... not necessarily all'
http://www.facebook.com/DJ.Ange.Australia
http://www.facebook.com/Trance.Progressive.Sydney
http://www.twitter.com/dj_ange
Matty_neal +

Hamburger Phone User

Times thanked
<
interesting stuff.

Useless post noted.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »