House, Techno and Progressive

How Come Techno Isn't Popular?

Tools
jazam +

Times thanked
<
Was reading a really interesting interview with Mike Banks (UR).

And he made a really interesting point :::

Quote:

How advanced can it be (this hi-tech music we call techno) if only one small group of people understand and enjoy it?

There's a reason why bands like Sneaky SoundSystem are popular... sure,,, a large amount of their success comes down to the fact they have combined in-vogue sounds to pop perfection. But at what point is it marketing? and when does it become good music?

We've seen seemingly random dance tracks hit the big time which all share very strong commonalities to what many of us in these forums would call "forward thinking music"

Josh Abraham - Addicted to Bass
has a lot of commonalities with todays dubstep sound aka Kode9, Burial etc.
how come we haven't been able to pursue this sound and make it popular???

Everything But the Girl - Missing
a beutiful moody house traxx that shares alot of similar moods to alot of new cats coming out of Berlin. Namely Henrik Schwarz, Ame, Dixon etc.

... if we look at hip-hop,,, it has been able to still be attractive to the urban market and has moved outwards now filling up every radio station/blog/concert you go to...

---<?!?>---
Me Myself and I
dj_onanism +

you're so vain...

Times thanked
<
you live under a dirty great rock somewhere, dontcha

Main Entry: onan·ism
Pronunciation: 'O-n&-"ni-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from New Latin onanismus, from Onan, son of Judah (Gen 38:9)
Date: circa 1741
1 : MASTURBATION
2 : COITUS INTERRUPTUS
3 : SELF-GRATIFICATION
- onan·is·tic /"O-n&-'nis-tik/ adjective
Eranthos +

Times thanked
<
would u want techno to be popular?

personally i would hate it. I was in maccas on a drunken night a while back and all of a sudden i heard some bullshit vocal version of strings of life.. and it was fucking disgusting, then i heard some chump saying ... "isn't this that soul central track?" ... or something along those lines...

now at first i wanted to go an smack some sense into the guy then after a while i realised... good! who the fuck wants kids who think ministry of sound compilations are a good source of techno music to be listening to, coming to shows and infecting this hi-tek-soul music we call techno?

even take a look into the trance scene (if u can stomach it). Now its not commercial in the mainstream sense, but it has much larger population of listeners... why? cos its fucking easy and predictable... usually for people who just want to be fed beats by a retarded swedish DJ who spends more time waving his arms in the air in self gloating arrogance than he does touching the mixer and records combined... then they will come out and say "Tiesto is the greatest dj on earth!" ... now do you really want this sort of support base in techno?

Techno is where it is because that is naturally not 'popular' ...

it is, now some people don't like this term, IDM .. intelligent dance music... the majority of the time it's not the sort of music you will chuck on and most people love it... alot of tracks that i have had for nearly a decade i can still listen to now and find new layers to it...

i personally feel that the more you put into techno the more you will get out of it... and it is like that with most music genres, and most things in life, but if you look at pop music, trance, gangster rap etc in my opinion you can put in all you like but there will be limits to what you get out of it..
because it is simplistic and easy to consume.. and yes marketing is involved, but that is why this music is so popular, or atleast so much more popular than techno.. like junk food, its easy to access, not much effort and thought involved ... you can just sit on your fat arse and keep eating shit and know that 'hey maybe there is better tasting stuff out there, but i can't be fucked'

... i dunno if this makes sense to anyone.. i don't claim to be the authority on this in any way.. just sharing my opinion
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,756 Times in 925 Posts
anything musical genre which is worth listening to, isn't popular.

popular, by definition, is the lowest common denominator stuff that is easily consumable by the masses who are more interested in their mortgages and ACA than exploring music.
Hopped in the car and torpe'ed to the shack
Of Shaheed, "We gotta go back" when he said
"Why?" I said, "We gotta go
'Cause I left my wallet in El Segundo"

http://twitter.com/derekbradley
http://untappd.com/user/dbb618

https://plus.google.com/117630500124...73/posts?hl=en
sm44 +

Times thanked
<
yeah a song isnt good unless only 10 people have it on the extremely limited vinyl thats only been played out by the most underground dj a few times ever in a club with 100 people there

however if more than 1000 people can identify the song being played then its absolute rubbish and should be discarded forever

you should listen to a song and like it based on its merits, not how popular it is

im not too into techno at the moment but when i hear it out ive been digging it more and more

i just think its not as easily accessible than say more commercial music
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
<
that's what I said : consumable / accessible

And was talking about a genre, not a specific track.

jazam +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eranthos

who the fuck wants kids who think ministry of sound compilations are a good source of techno music to be listening to, coming to shows and infecting this hi-tek-soul music we call techno?

I totally understand what you mean... and in some respects i agree -> i'm prob the first one to start bitchin' when a gig is ruined by fluro capatilists.

but the more ppl listening to it - the more ideas and innovation will come through.
and if we are able to teach the concepts behind 'hit-tek soul' properly,,, the benefits are not only of a musical nature.

the whole concept of "hi-tek" is a very important one... especially today more than ever w/ worldwide poverty, hyper consumerism, corruption etc.
= we need to engrain a "hi-tek" mindset that things can be better and it doesn't need to be the way it is.

Quote:

because it is simplistic and easy to consume.. and yes marketing is involved, but that is why this music is so popular, or atleast so much more popular than techno.. like junk food, its easy to access, not much effort and thought involved ...

Easy to consume = easy to access as pointed out by dbb618.

- this does not neccessarily mean u have to "dumb down" the music
- the most consumable things come about through efficient distribution networks and intelligent marketing ie. Apple, IKEA etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbb618

popular, by definition, is the lowest common denominator stuff that is easily consumable by the masses who are more interested in their mortgages and ACA than exploring music.

that's exactly the type of things we should be trying to change no????
Me Myself and I
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
<
Why should we change it?

If the majority of people don't wish to explore music, don't want to move away from Channel 7/9, don't care about supporting a sport that isn't NRL/AFL, won't buy a car that isn't a holden/ford, and generally are happy with their safe mundance choices ... that's up to them.

jazam +

Times thanked
<
... because we get dumber as a whole ...

thus becoming more ignorant, arrogant etc. etc. etc.
Me Myself and I
Eranthos +

Times thanked
<
yes... and obviously this is a serious global problem with the western way of life imperialistically being shoved down all peoples throats as the 'right' way to live... our society.. and many others are societies of consumption that operate on a nonsensical base of raping our earth and its beings (even ourselves, we are just fortunate enough to live in a 1st world country) ... this way of life wont last.. we may not be around to see that change.. but its obvious that it wont go on like this forever, its just a fucking shame how much damage we are doing in the process

besides ... who are we to judge that these other peoples ways of life aren't perfectly fine the way they are... like in music if we told everyone to listen to intelligent music it wouldn't just happen... and the more probably result would be that the majority would hate it because it is labelised as 'hi-tek-soul'/more intelligent .. which can undermine there own integrity (if they are stupid enough to let it) ...

basically people are too fucking scared of change and can't be bothered looking at what really goes on in the world .. because like pop music, like junk food, like just buying your holden or ford.. its fucking easier to only give a shit about your own overweight fat arse and get a mortgage have a family.. and have your kids do the exact same shit... (whats the point of such peoples existence... i do not know )

i dont think we are actually getting dumber as a whole... with the way technology (ie advertising, internet blah blah blah) is much more advanced so the the simple/easy way to live is much more in your face and people who enjoy such things have a much easier way to connect with others on the same level...

there have always been the masses that that take the easy road ... and there have always been others who find their own truths in life... the fucked thing is that since the industrial revolution the masses... or atleast that way of life, is destroying our home and the opportunity to live on this earth for the rest of the beings here... and even for themselves in the end.. which we only now are slowly starting to realise... all in all it comes down to cockroaches ... and hopefully a new beginning
Bassbunker +

Stay Strong, Stay Low...

Times thanked
<
I wonder if the percentage of those enlightened few who listen to Hi-Tek ( we used to just call it detroit ) Techno who went and listended to his holiness, the Dali Lama last year, is higher than that of the population that listen to commercial music that listened to him.

And propobably more important. Out of those groups, who listened and who is now acting to change themselves and the world.
Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true
Jerry lee lewis was the devil
Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet
All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world
So there was only one thing that I could do...
MiSsB29 +

Times thanked
<
Heist says that you're nothing if you're not popular :S
jazam +

Times thanked
<
i think ppl are scared to change.
but are much more willing given that the product/phenomena/etc. is
a) easy to access
b) widely distributed

BassBunker - i think most ppl who went don't get to the acting part... but at least they took the first step?
Me Myself and I
Oli-G +

Registered Abuser

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazam

But at what point is it marketing? and when does it become good music?

We've seen seemingly random dance tracks hit the big time which all share very strong commonalities to what many of us in these forums would call "forward thinking music"

never, sneaky sound system is and always will be shit house
ManipulatingMusic +

Theory of Machines

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazam

... because we get dumber as a whole ...

thus becoming more ignorant, arrogant etc. etc. etc.

Add Nieve to the list
http://www.last.fm/user/ehanna93
http://www.flickr.com/people/ehanna93/
KEEK +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

personally i would hate it. I was in maccas on a drunken night a while back and all of a sudden i heard some bullshit vocal version of strings of life.. and it was fucking disgusting, then i heard some chump saying ... "isn't this that soul central track?" ... or something along those lines...

now at first i wanted to go an smack some sense into the guy then after a while i realised... good! who the fuck wants kids who think ministry of sound compilations are a good source of techno music to be listening to, coming to shows and infecting this hi-tek-soul music we call techno?

even take a look into the trance scene (if u can stomach it). Now its not commercial in the mainstream sense, but it has much larger population of listeners... why? cos its fucking easy and predictable... usually for people who just want to be fed beats by a retarded swedish DJ who spends more time waving his arms in the air in self gloating arrogance than he does touching the mixer and records combined... then they will come out and say "Tiesto is the greatest dj on earth!" ... now do you really want this sort of support base in techno?

Techno is where it is because that is naturally not 'popular' ...

it is, now some people don't like this term, IDM .. intelligent dance music... the majority of the time it's not the sort of music you will chuck on and most people love it... alot of tracks that i have had for nearly a decade i can still listen to now and find new layers to it...

i personally feel that the more you put into techno the more you will get out of it... and it is like that with most music genres, and most things in life, but if you look at pop music, trance, gangster rap etc in my opinion you can put in all you like but there will be limits to what you get out of it..
because it is simplistic and easy to consume.. and yes marketing is involved, but that is why this music is so popular, or atleast so much more popular than techno.. like junk food, its easy to access, not much effort and thought involved ... you can just sit on your fat arse and keep eating shit and know that 'hey maybe there is better tasting stuff out there, but i can't be fucked'

... i dunno if this makes sense to anyone.. i don't claim to be the authority on this in any way.. just sharing my opinion

you obviously know jack shit about fuck all..

how can you compare genres of music to each other when at the end of the day the only opinion that is being represented is your own.

art is subjective to taste, music is art regarless of if it gets flogged on radio and tv or not.

would you all of a sudden stop listening to the bands and producers you love if they began to get regular commercial airplay?
dj_onanism +

you're so vain...

Times thanked
<
you all need to shut the fuck up - and dance
Main Entry: onan·ism
Pronunciation: 'O-n&-"ni-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: probably from New Latin onanismus, from Onan, son of Judah (Gen 38:9)
Date: circa 1741
1 : MASTURBATION
2 : COITUS INTERRUPTUS
3 : SELF-GRATIFICATION
- onan·is·tic /"O-n&-'nis-tik/ adjective
Marshy +

is releasing a book

Times thanked
<
I concur wholeheartedly
ManipulatingMusic +

Theory of Machines

Times thanked
<
I will always listen to Radiohead and Air

"At the end of the day, if its not funky, it doesnt really matter"
http://www.last.fm/user/ehanna93
http://www.flickr.com/people/ehanna93/
JDxx +

is here

Times thanked
<
Quote KEEK: art is subjective to taste, music is art

I second that!

ITWILLALWAYSBEWITHYOU ...
Ninja88 +

Times thanked
<
nobody listens to techno now lets go!
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiSsB29

Heist says that you're nothing if you're not popular :S

a hardcore DJ would
step on my cubes.
Eranthos +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by KEEK

you obviously know jack shit about fuck all..

how can you compare genres of music to each other when at the end of the day the only opinion that is being represented is your own.

art is subjective to taste, music is art regarless of if it gets flogged on radio and tv or not.

would you all of a sudden stop listening to the bands and producers you love if they began to get regular commercial airplay?

when are you ever not only giving your opinion?.. unless you are claiming to be the judge of all things.. and even then.. most of what you would conclude/assume/claim etc would be from what you have perceived being who you are and living the life you have.. which is unique to each individual... so fuck.. ofcourse it its only my opinion that what i said anyway

i never said that music was not an art form... and being subjective .. it isn't art to everyone...
although i would agree cos for me it is on of the best forms of art there is...

and who is to say i don't listen to commercial music aswell...but detroit is my passion, techno is what i love... if you've had your fun trying to having a dig at me for whatever reason... good... some kids like get all tough when sitting behind a computer screen .. and please stop acting like you know me

-peace
Xelpmok +

Unregistered

Times thanked
<

Quote:

cus it sucks.
--do not click this link here--
chids +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_onanism

you all need to shut the fuck up - and dance

damn right
TweakinU +

Times thanked
<
Techno Isn't popular because of the greasy filthy hand jobs in truckstop restrooms
Hot carling, all over the place
Hot Carling,
I turned that into a verb, i hope you apreciate it
Carling, Hot Carling Academy, its a school where you go to learn how to buttfuck
They dont have blowjobs there because they are uncircumsized
And that is just disgusting so they have to buttfuck
Which is also disgusting because that extra forskin traps all the germs
And the poop, and the buttfucking residue within
And that is why techno isn't popular, amen.
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
<
No one listens to techno because they're scared of turning into chinstrokers with superioty complexes. Seriously, who gives a fuck?
EAD
Ruthykins +

Stay awake little missfit

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,862 Posts
worst sentence structure ever!

Why isn't Techno popular?
Ya baloney
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,288 Posts
Techno is popular...just not in Australia. The scene is massive across Europe.

I don't really care if it is popular or not. Gigs in Melbourne still see a packed out crowd of enthusiastic punters who are there for the music and a good time..not because it's the popular sound of the moment. Id take an intimate club vibe anyday.
Steph +

Bustered

Times thanked
<
Some people like Techno, some like Trance etc. It doesn't mean anything imo.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer"

Egyptian inscription dating 2200 BC
allen +

Times thanked
<
imo, everything that makes its way out to the mainstream looses its value.
I tinker MUSICALLY.
dbb618 +

md5sum < /dev/urandom

Times thanked
<
everything?

wow.

I never knew that.

samwiseb +

Untoten

Times thanked
<
I'm glad Techno isn't main stream. I enjoy being able to go to a club on Australia day and it being half empty and every man there is only there for some fuckin' techno. Means all the time every time I'm guaranteed for a killer night.

On a semi related note I took two of my friends who are both into the more commercial side of dance music and don't really explore much out of that except for what I show them. I took them to F Four on Saturday night and they left thinking it was creepy and that there was a bunch of creeps there. Can't figure that one out...
allen +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

everything?

wow.

I never knew that.

well now you know, wow!!
I tinker MUSICALLY.
allen +

Times thanked
<
hey forgot to add, bravo!!!!
I tinker MUSICALLY.
allen +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

anything musical genre which is worth listening to, isn't popular.

that's a general statement, techno can be commercial and house can be underground. its who produces the music, regardless of the genre or sub genre.
I tinker MUSICALLY.
ForChristsSake +

Times thanked
<
I don't care if it's popular or not. What I do wanna know is where the hell can I go to hear some?!? I've been in a bubble for the last 2 years and I've got 5 weeks off from work starting next Saturday (27th Sept) and I'm hangin to get back out there. Help please?!?
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
<
ForChristsSake, get out there dude, look on the Sydney forums. If you want techno, as in proper techno, check out events like technique and swarm. Eat Msuik just recently had a techno night as well, but those boys don't focus entirely on the hard percussive stuff. Heapsa stuff out there champ.
EAD

« Previous Thread Next Thread »