Page 1 of 39
  Tools
ayong +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
push bikes
Does anyone regularly use push bikes?

i'm planning to start cycling to work but have no idea which ones to get.

any ideas, hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

budget for a bike is under $500.00
CHEER UP EMO!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/anthonyyong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photo_assassins/
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
I bought a bike 2 months ago, spur of the moment thing, and have only ridden it a handful of times, which annoys the fuck out of me, because I really want to keep going with it.

I just went for an Apollo Altitude I think its called, seemed like a decent bike, and was around the $400 mark. The couple of times I have ridden it it seems fine, but then I probably wouldnt know otherwise to be honest. But a mate of mine who rides bikes alot said the Apollo's were a decent entry/mid level bike that would do everything you would want if your only riding it a couple of hours a week, he spent $4500 on a bike 2 months after buying one for $3000 which to me was ridiculous!! So to summerise my "im bored at work" dribble, I would reccomend an Apollo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

ryler +

Times thanked
<
Giants also seem to have decent prices for their specs.

Other than that, you can buy a cordless angle grinder on ebay for about $30 and have just about any bike you want
ayong +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
WTF $4k on a bike?

the whole reason why i'm considering it is to cut on my petrol spending and plus i can take the m2 to work which only take around 30mins from my place and the whole idea of getting fit.

but i do agree with you in some ways that, its probably a novelty thing and i would probably last long in riding to work since i can get lazy. LOL
CHEER UP EMO!!!!

Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayong

WTF $4k on a bike?

Thats about normal for anyone heavily into any form of cycling.

If i were you and want a bike for daily commuting I'd be loking for a second hand hybrid bike trying to focus on the main players in the game. Avanti, Norco, Giant, Scott, specialized. There are others but most shops will stock those brands. Go in and ask for some advice from your LBS (local bike shop). Explain to them what your after being realistic. (You don't need the newest and best if your only going to be riding to and from work and no longer than an hour each way.) Get a good relationship with your LBS and they will help you out further down the track with great serice and advice.

Then take what you have learned from the LBS experienced assistants and go looking for 2nd hand bikes or last years models. $500 should be more than enough for what you want. YOur LBS may even be able to do you a deal that you didn't think you could get just by being loyal to them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Zodiac: 04-Feb-08 at 12:46pm

ayong +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
great advise ^_^

thank you!!!
CHEER UP EMO!!!!

trashy +

Top Dog

Times thanked
<
go for a giant or avanti, i bought an advanti which was replaced by this one http://www.freedommachine.com.au/ite...tart=0&ID=1148

they also have one for $500 http://www.freedommachine.com.au/ite...Start=0&ID=909

i ride to work everyday and its awesome
Ride the Train
ricksta +

Registered Voter

Times thanked
<
I finally fixed the puncture in my road bike yesterday, which was lucky because I put my mountain bike in for a service yesterday.
Aydo +

play from your fucking heart

Times thanked
<
my mate is a fairly decent cycler and his bike cost him $16k

try keep an eye out for decent second hand ones as well, my mate got me one and fixed it up pretty nicely for $200
ryler +

Times thanked
<
have a look at this site. seems pretty good for the price range you are looking at....
http://www.bikes.com.au/
Slurpdog +

Times thanked
<
I do the commute thing 3-4 times a week, and I love it now.

You're first 2-3 weeks will be the hardest, but once you get through that you'll find it starts to get easier and easier.

I'm with Zodiac on sticking with you local bike shop.

They are a wealth of knowledge and will help you out with all of your questions.

Whatever you do though. don't bike a bike from Kmart, Target, Toys r Us etc. They're shit!!!!

I'd buy a hardtail mountain bike and fit it with some slicks, or look for a flat bar roadbike.
buffed +

Times thanked
<
how far are you intending to ride?

i just bought my new bike a few weeks ago and it cost $2,500.

generally speaking anything under $1,000 is junk but if you are commuting short distances then i guess it will do if you really don't want to spend much
Marshy +

is releasing a book

Times thanked
<
How do you guys go with sweat? Do you have showers at work or just towel down and deodorise and hope for the best?
boz-monaut +

comrade

Times thanked
<
you might be better off just getting an old bike to start off with

I got my mum's 1970s Peugeot girls bike out of the attic the other week - the thing hadn't been used for about 15 years but all I had to do was put some air in the tyres and away it goes - it's also pretty cool looking and really wont' get nicked by bike stealing cunce

but I've also got a road bike - used to use it to commute to work occasionally - unless it's a short easy gentle ride I'd recommend haveing a shower at work if you're riding over 10 minutes cause you will sweat a bit
trashy +

Top Dog

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshy

How do you guys go with sweat? Do you have showers at work or just towel down and deodorise and hope for the best?

i shower and get dressed at work

i leave 2 suits in my locker and bring in shirts twice a week (grrr lockers are too small)
Ride the Train
watsakerring +

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,317 Posts
"push bike"

you're doing it wrong
Amytron +

over (it) and out (of it)

Times thanked
<
Hey Anthony, Check out Cheeky Monkey @ Newtown (georgina street). Tell them your budget, and what kind of riding you want to do, and they'll point you in the right direction.
talk disco to me, baby

AmyofAus
Syko6c +

Enthusiastic Amatuer

Times thanked
<
any old pushie will do. I regulary ride 20+ km's a day, and my old free agent eluder does the job just fine, it's pretty light, easy to fit in cars when i can't be fucked riding.
more to go wrong with a mountain bike IMO.
Zodiac +

Times thanked
<
I can't imagine doing a 20km+ ride a day on a bmx. Fuck that.
The Dose +

Times thanked
<
There is a good review on the Scott Gambler on www.sportsandfitnessgallery.com.au

There is also a cycle section in the forum where you can chat to some serious riders and get advice.
Think Big! Lift Big! Train till ya drop!

For all your sports and fitness needs check out,

www.sportsandfitnessgallery.com.au
Warren G +

label whore

Times thanked
<
i picked up my new bike today

avanti blade 2.0 for $549.95

everyone at work was right. the bike is the easy part, the acessories will cost alot of coin. realised i need to get lights, a speedo, drink holder, clip on pedals, shoes, lock and also a stand.
ChiasticSlide +

is this thing on?

Times thanked
<
I have a Mongoose hardtail MB fitted with slicks. Does pretty well for getting from A to B and, being a mountain bike, gives you some extra options of where you can take it eg down stairs, off gutters. But I've really been enjoying doing 20km circuits around the Inner City just for fitness, and it's made me realise how relatively easy it would be go a lot further.

I'm keen to get a bit more serious and step up to a road bike and do harder, longer rides faster. Should really have gotten one in the first place but I wasn't really thinking that far ahead. I think I'll get a Giant OCR 1 or TCR Alliance 2. But first I wanna improve my fitness a lot more with my MB. I'll probably aim to upgrade when I can handle a 50km ride at a decent pace.
"It's got to be in the bedroom basically. You get to do tracks in the nude and if you're working in the studio, you just can't do that. It's not really practical." -- Aphex Twin on making music

Last edited by ChiasticSlide: 23-Mar-08 at 04:14pm

Warren G +

label whore

Times thanked
<
oh i also found out that the cool kids dont use bike stands : (
dcristo +

Times thanked
<
You can't go wrong with a good hybrid bike (good for onroad/offroad). In terms of what brand to get, look into Trek and GT, they have a good range.
dcristo +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by buffed

generally speaking anything under $1,000 is junk but if you are commuting short distances then i guess it will do if you really don't want to spend much

Not true at all mate.

I picked up a top model Trek hybrid bike for $900, this was 3 years back, and they have come down in price.
trashy +

Top Dog

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren G

i picked up my new bike today

avanti blade 2.0 for $549.95

everyone at work was right. the bike is the easy part, the acessories will cost alot of coin. realised i need to get lights, a speedo, drink holder, clip on pedals, shoes, lock and also a stand.

this is the model i have just last years one

cost me the same money but i have spent about the same again with the acessories you mention, plus replacing tyres / tubes, riding clothes etc

still one of the best decsisions i have ever made though
Ride the Train
buffed +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcristo

Not true at all mate.

I picked up a top model Trek hybrid bike for $900, this was 3 years back, and they have come down in price.

my comment was mainly aimed at road bikes. unless you buy a good model second hand, anything under $1000 is pretty rough and won't last long if you are doing lot's of kilometres a week
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amytron

Hey Anthony, Check out Cheeky Monkey @ Newtown (georgina street). Tell them your budget, and what kind of riding you want to do, and they'll point you in the right direction.

Great shop, great blokes too.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.... Lord Byron
Zodiac +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

my comment was mainly aimed at road bikes. unless you buy a good model second hand, anything under $1000 is pretty rough and won't last long if you are doing lot's of kilometres a week

Your comment is pretty spot on in regards to both road and mountain bikes. Hybrids are there to fill a market and dont do either road or off roading particularly well.
dcristo +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac

Your comment is pretty spot on in regards to both road and mountain bikes. Hybrids are there to fill a market and dont do either road or off roading particularly well.

Well I disagree mate, if you get yourself a good hybrid. Granted, there more suited for on-road rather then off-road use. I didn't have to service my Trek for 2 years, and I was using it everyday for transport!
Zodiac +

Times thanked
<
Well thats great if you found yourself a decent one. Start trying to jump gutters, ride upwards of 50kms a day, or take it of the tarmac and onto the dirt and let's see just how long it lasts

If your just doing a general commute each day around the 20km round trip then a hybrid bike might be ideal for you. From what I have read and heard from the guys at my LBS, I'd still stick with a road specific bike if it were me though.

Last edited by Zodiac: 26-Mar-08 at 11:40am

gerg +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcristo

Well I disagree mate, if you get yourself a good hybrid. Granted, there more suited for on-road rather then off-road use. I didn't have to service my Trek for 2 years, and I was using it everyday for transport!

so buy a road bike if its for commuting, maybe a hybrid for longer rides where roads aren't that good. Mountain Bike for off road.

I regularly go out to Stromlo for laps of the track. If buying a mountain bike check with the Australian Mountain Biking magazines for specials at various stores at various times. Bike companies bring out new bikes every year so you can get a good deal on new bikes. I picked up a KHS mid-range bike last October $800 off retail. Also bargains galore on ebay if you know what you are looking for.

Now I'm just waiting for a transition preston - very sweet freeride.
Zodiac +

Times thanked
<
I wish Stromlo was in my backyard

You sir, are lucky.
buffed +

Times thanked
<
here's my baby. very nice ride
  • Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version

Name:	122_medium.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	27849  
gerg +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I wish Stromlo was in my backyard

You sir, are lucky.

its about a 20 minute ride from my place, or an hour walk (I got a flat last time) I now carry spares... I accidentally ended up on the downhill track with my hardtail a few months ago, it was interesting to say the least... I just wish they would update their maps online because I just keep doing the main circuit... I went out to sparrow hill a few months back with my ex its pretty cool out there as well - that was until she had a hissy fit (never ride with g/f who can't ride for shit) ... I've never been to Majura but I've heard really good things about it..
Meester +

Jimmy James

Times thanked
<
I f*cking hate hybrids... They look so sh*t. Sure they do the job, but you look like a dunce or an old woman.
And I'm not being funny. I mean no disrespect, but you're a ****. You're a **** now, and you've always been a ****. And the only thing that's going to change is that you're going to be an even bigger ****. Maybe have some more **** kids.
Zodiac +

Times thanked
<
buffed, nice bike.
onthebass +

exams...hate them!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I quite like the look of the Argon's. Stiff frame? What do you use it for? Road, tri's?

Here's my ride....except its not white and I have Shimano DA and zippp 808's for my tri setup. Very happy with it.
  • Attached Thumbnails

Click image for larger version

Name:	madone69.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	27887  
---
twitter:: onthebass
buffed +

Times thanked
<
nice, what series madone is your's?

the argon are a stiff frame, a bit heavier than other similar carbon frames. mine is full carbon but has good acceleration when you get out of the saddle. i use it for road. it's a shorter frame than the trek's and giant's which i found a bit long for me
dart +

marching up and down the square

Times thanked
<

Quote:

noice.

i have an avanti vivace from a couple of years ago, does the trick as i only ride once or twice a week (about 80-100kms an outing).

thinking about getting a new one, only because we're always getting passed by groups of riders with REALLY flashy bikes, and i'm sure their flashy bike is the reason they're passing us & not that they're heaps fitter & stuff.
Full Frequency Wednesdays on RTR FM 92.1 ~ www.rtrfm.com.au

www.inthemix.com.au/forum ~ known troublemaker
buffed +

Times thanked
<
this is my first full carbon bike and it does make a big difference particularly over longer rides. the carbon dampens the bumps and gives a much smoother ride.

you can get a full carbon these days for around $2700.

check out the BH range.........good value and spanish made. frf sports are te Australian distributors for them
ChiasticSlide +

is this thing on?

Times thanked
<
This is my first week of exclusive cycle commuting and I'm loving it. It's so good to be out in the fresh air riding along the banks of the river than jammed into PT. Also it's been working out a bit quicker for me as I don't have the 10 minute walk to the train/buses from home, and then another 5-10 minutes from the buses/train to work. By the time I would've just been rocking up to the train station to buy a ticket, I'm now half way to the City.

Wish I had started doing this ages ago.
"It's got to be in the bedroom basically. You get to do tracks in the nude and if you're working in the studio, you just can't do that. It's not really practical." -- Aphex Twin on making music
PLakic +

Times thanked
<
There are some pretty decent deals on ebay for bikes.
onthebass +

exams...hate them!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

nice, what series madone is your's?

---
onthebass +

exams...hate them!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiasticSlide

This is my first week of exclusive cycle commuting and I'm loving it. It's so good to be out in the fresh air riding along the banks of the river than jammed into PT. Also it's been working out a bit quicker for me as I don't have the 10 minute walk to the train/buses from home, and then another 5-10 minutes from the buses/train to work. By the time I would've just been rocking up to the train station to buy a ticket, I'm now half way to the City.

Wish I had started doing this ages ago.

Talking of which, did you hear about this mornings pack ride smash up out near the airport (Syd)??

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...4-2722,00.html
---
SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,687 Times in 3,877 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by onthebass

Talking of which, did you hear about this mornings pack ride smash up out near the airport (Syd)??

Hope the idiot who caused that goes to jail, no excuse for that sort of behaviour. That said I question the wisdom of such big pack rides on busy roads during peak times. Both cyclists and motorists need to be more considerate of each other IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,687 Times in 3,877 Posts

Quote:

Well thats great if you found yourself a decent one. Start trying to jump gutters, ride upwards of 50kms a day, or take it of the tarmac and onto the dirt and let's see just how long it lasts

If your just doing a general commute each day around the 20km round trip then a hybrid bike might be ideal for you. From what I have read and heard from the guys at my LBS, I'd still stick with a road specific bike if it were me though.

Well duh, you just described exactly what hybrids are for. Modserate lenth road commutes, where the rider might prefer a comfier seat and more upright riding position than a "proper" road bike affords. If you're after on-road speed and super-long distances go a road bike, if you want to jump gutters or ride off roads, get an MTB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

ChiasticSlide +

is this thing on?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by onthebass

Yeah, I did, shocking news. I beleive that was the Coluzzi ride, which has a bad reputation for unsafe road use, but so do most fast rides around, so I'm not sure if the reputation is deserved. Ever done that ride, buffed?

Apparently the police have been interviewing someone over the incident. Also, someone purporting to be the driver called into a radio station and said that he pulled in front of them because his car had stalled. Not sure how someone manages to stall a car in on an 80km road...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABC News

Police are yet to lay charges against a motorist accused of deliberately causing a large bunch of cyclists, including Kiama's Ben Kersten, to crash at Botany in Sydney's south yesterday.

They have spoken to a man at Claymore in south-western Sydney over the incident which left a number of elite cyclists injured.

Kersten says the crash has temporarily affected his training for the Olympics.

He says road rage against cyclists is becoming so bad in Sydney that he is considering moving overseas to continue his training.

"Living in Sydney and trying to be a road cyclist is not an option really, it's obviously circulating road rages and stuff," he said.

"If riders are supposed to be out for five or six hours a day, that's just not possible.

"We are already getting up at four and five in the morning and copping abuse."

A man claiming to be the driver who caused a crash by pulling in front of a pack of cyclists in Sydney yesterday has had an on-air argument with Olympian Ben Kersten.

Almost 50 cyclists were riding along Southern Cross Drive in Botany when a driver overtook them and then stopped suddenly, causing the lead riders to crash into the car.

Among the bunch was Kate Nichols, who was injured in the accident in Germany in 2005 which claimed the life of fellow rider Amy Gillett.

Kersten and former Olympians Michelle Ferris, Matthew White and Kate's father Kevin Nichols, and Commonwealth Games gold medallist Mark Renshaw were also involved.

Police have spoken to a man at Claymore in Sydney's south-west but have not laid charges over the incident, which left a number of cyclists, including Kersten, with minor injuries.

A caller named 'Jason' has told Radio 2GB in Sydney that he pulled in front of the cyclists because his car stalled and he had to restart it.

"I did get injured mate and I'm training for the Olympics and I've got a trial in two weeks and I ran into the back of you. You're a goose," Kersten told the caller on air.

'Jason' replied: "You ran into the back of me and I'm the goose?"

Kersten said: "You stopped in the middle of a bloody 80k zone in front of 200 or 100 cyclists. What were you thinking?"

'Jason' replied: "What do you mean? I'm half in the left lane and half in the breakdown lane because my car stalled."

Kersten says the driver was reckless and people could have been killed.

ChiasticSlide +

is this thing on?

Times thanked
<
Pretty comprehensive coverage here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by www.cyclingnews.com

Road rage crash shocks Sydney cycling fraternity

By Greg Johnson in Sydney, Australia, with additional reporting by Gerard Knapp

Sydney's cycling community was rattled when over 50 riders in a popular training group became victims of a hit-and-run crash this morning. The group included Australian Beijing Olympic Games hopeful Ben Kersten, former Olympian Michelle Ferris and Kate Nichols, one of the Australian Institute of Sport riders injured in the 2005 training accident that claimed the life of Amy Gillett.

Riders have expressed outrage at the actions of the erratic driver, which they described as being deliberate and premeditated. Nobody was seriously injured in the accident however the equipment damage bill is expected to run into the tens of thousands of dollars and has upset the run into Kersten's Olympic trials in two weeks time.

While traveling south - the opposite direction to the morning's city-bound traffic - on Southern Cross Drive, Mascot at 6:30 AM a grey sedan approached the bunch and demonstrated erratic behavior as it passed. Once ahead of the group the sedan pulled in front of it and braked hard, forcing the group to slam into the vehicle travelling at over 50 km/h.

"It was intentional, I have no doubt about it," said Matt Bazzano of the incident. Bazzano, a highly experienced cyclist is an executive with Shimano Australia and former winner of the Commonwealth Bank Cycle Classic. "The fact is that after he did it, he (the driver) then took off, which he shouldn't have done. But then I wonder what could have happened had he stopped...you don't know what someone may do."

The crash caused traffic behind to take evasive action as riders spilled across the road, including a semi-trailer which jack-knifed under braking forces. The prime mover's driver skillfully brought the vehicle under control to avoid slamming into the fallen riders.

"I'm just glad nobody is dead," admitted Kersten, who was left with the imprint of a chain ring on his back. "I went flying through a group of about 20 people and 20 more hit me."

Bazzano, who's trained on the roads of Sydney for well over two decades, said it was the most extreme example of road rage he'd yet witnessed. "You'd have to go a long way to do worse than this," he said. "You know, things happen on the road and it can be accidental or careless, but this was intentional."

Kersten joined his fellow riders in saying the driver's actions were deliberate at a press conference called near the scene of the incident shortly after midday. "It's totally no accident, this guy is a psycho," he said.

Nichols, who was riding with father and 1984 Olympic gold medallist Kevin, said she could fathom what posses someone to act in such a way. "I think he knew very well what he was doing," she said. "That's the scary part. Just what some people are capable of."

The 'Coluzzi bunch', as the group is known in Sydney cycling circles (given its name as it forms at Bar Coluzzi in Darlinghurst), was travelling south on a slight downhill section of three-lane freeway, with a speed limit of 80kmh, just south of Sydney city. Bazzano said at that time of the morning, the main traffic flow is on the opposite side of the freeway going into the city, and in the south-bound lanes there are always ample overtaking opportunities. In fact, Bazzano questions whether the driver would have even needed to slow down at all to pass the group if he he'd used one of the two other lanes.

"At that time of morning, heading away from the city, there's always plenty of space to overtake," he said. "To be honest, there is so much space to get around us I don't think he (the driver) would have even needed to back off to get past (the group)."

"It could have been carnage," he added. "We've all seen our share of incidents but this was the worst."

Kersten said he has noticed the attitude of Sydney drivers towards cyclists decline in recent years. The track star refused to make the matter political when asked if he had a message for New South Wales premier Morris Iemma, instead calling on motorist and cyclist to come together and find a way to share the roads safely.

"It's building, we've noticed for a long time, the road rage," he said. "This isn't personal, it's not a government attack, we are just out here because we want to find a solution."

Kersten, Kate and Kevin said even after the accident the group was abused by passing motorists, with one person shouting "go get a car you tight-arses".
Nichols' return ride

While X-rays have cleared Kate of a feared broken wrist, she has suffered gravel rash on her arms and legs. The incident, which occurred on her first group ride since the fatal accident in Germany two years ago, has also caused some of her old injuries to flare up again.

"I've had a long battle to return," she said. "It was actually my first bunch ride in a long time, so it's not good for my motivation."

While Kate said the latest accident wouldn't stop her return, father Kevin said he worries for his daughter. "I have cause for thought everyday," said Kevin, who was able to remember the driver's license plate. "This just heightens it."

"[I was] relieved to see she was sitting up on the road," added Kevin of his immediate reaction to the crash.

Kevin also thanked the actions of an off-duty Police officer, who took control of the scene immediately after the crash. He went on to describe the driver's actions as "dangerous, erratic, lack of care for others, premeditated".

"Totally unprovoked," added Kevin, who said the driver was in his 30s with dark hair. "We're keen to see what the outcome of the Police investigation is."
Crash impacts Kersten's preparation

It's not yet known how much of an impact the crash will have on Kersten's Beijing Olympic Games sprint hopes, however it has served as a disruption to his trial preparations. The trial is slated to be held behind closed doors in Melbourne in a fortnight's time; however the cyclists can opt to apply for a postponement of the event.

"It's part of the sport, you fall off, but you usually end up in a tree," said Kersten. "Not a parked car on an expressway.

"I'm a bit sore, I've just been to the chiropractor and things are starting to stiffen up a bit," he added. "But I'm by no means the worst of those injured in the bunch."

Kersten said much of his injuries were superficial, but he has sustained an injury to his elbow in the crash. His bike also came off worse for wear, with broken shifters, buckled wheels and damage to the frame.

"I'm supposed to be preparing for the biggest trial of my life and instead I'm going to be chasing bike parts," said Kersten, frustrated at the valuable preparation time he will lose as a result of the crash. "Now today is lost, Friday, Saturday is lost and it's [the trial] only two weeks away."

Kersten isn't the only Australian sprinter to suffer a setback this week, with Shane Kelly dislocating his shoulder earlier in the week. It's not known if the dislocation has caused Kelly any ongoing issues.

Police are calling for anyone who may have witnessed the incident, which is believed to have involved grey EL model Ford Falcon sedan, to contact Botany Police on 8566 7566 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Lucky nobody was hurt, sounds like a really hairy situation with the truck coming up behind the fallen bunch. One good thing to come of this is the fact that the incident has gotten so much attention from the media, hopefully that will translate to an increased awareness of the sort of shit that cyclists cop. Check out a local cycling forum and its not hard to find stories of blatant aggression being shown to cyclists by the odd fuckwit driver. Too bad for the stupid prick responsible for the Sydney crash that the peleton had some Olypians in it and thus no chance of the incident going unnoticed by the media.

Last edited by ChiasticSlide: 09-May-08 at 09:48pm

kiwiolly +

Times thanked
<
Had a few mates who were in the coluzzi bunch on thursday, one of thems got a nasty gouge down the side of his new carbon bike but no major damage. I used to do the coluzzi ride twice a week before my social life got the better of me, but i gotta say they are the worst behaved bunch in Sydney.

There's no excuse for what that gorilla bouncer from Macquarie Fields did, but it was only a matter of time... the bunch is always running red lights, taking up too many lanes etc, I don't think your even allowed to ride bikes on that part of south dowling st after the moore park supercentre where they got hit, theres a no cycling sign. Maybe if the boys pay a bit more attention to the road rules they won't find themselves in these situations.
Page 1 of 39

« Previous Thread Next Thread »