Sport and Fitness

push bikes

Page 39 of 39
  Tools
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,964 Times in 997 Posts
Pretty sure the 4.0 is a couple of years old. Do you want gears or a single speed though?

Kona Dew's are also alright

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/urb...uter/102211019

Last edited by DrugfuctDonkey: 04-Aug-14 at 07:14pm

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
There were a heap of the same Orbea street/commuter/whatevertheycallthemnow floating around Adelaide when I left but I can't seem to find its name, navy blue with sometimes white sometimes red rims.

sexy bikes and looked well built, but I'm guessing sexy isn't in your price range.

edit: could be the Orbea Carpe range which if you were looking for a bike a year or two out of date you *might* find one in your price range, that is to say, if you're going for gears now.
step on my cubes.

Last edited by Bracko: 04-Aug-14 at 07:14pm

trAse +

He'll never be an old man rafter

Times thanked
<
Thanked 14,558 Times in 4,098 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrugfuctDonkey View Post

Pretty sure the 4.0 is a couple of years old. Do you want gears or a single speed though?

Kona Dew's are also alright

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/urb...uter/102211019

I was thinking single speed mainly for cost factor. Are there other factors I should take into account? The Absolute's going for $150, which I thought was a steal. But then I realised I was looking at prices for the latest Absolute. Would you pull the trigger on this if you were looking for something ~$300?
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
it's a newer brand, but that doesn't necessarily mean bad. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're originally mountain bike brand... which means they might be a little heavier but they should be a decent frame.

Where they've cheaped out is the bits like seat stem, handle bars, possibly crank.... will you notice, probably not.
step on my cubes.
trAse +

Times thanked
<
Yeah most of the things I was reading, people changed the seats on them. What about gears vs. single speed, is it only cost or are there other facto6r7s?
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
dart +

marching up and down the square

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trAse View Post

What about gears vs. single speed, is it only cost or are there other facto6r7s?

single speed

pros: less maintenance

cons: only 1 gear

gears:

pros: you have gears

cons: more maintenance

if you live and plan to ride in a hilly area, gears could be helpful.

Full Frequency Wednesdays on RTR FM 92.1 ~ www.rtrfm.com.au

www.inthemix.com.au/forum ~ known troublemaker
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

it's a newer brand, but that doesn't necessarily mean bad. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're originally mountain bike brand... which means they might be a little heavier but they should be a decent frame.

Where they've cheaped out is the bits like seat stem, handle bars, possibly crank.... will you notice, probably not.

You referring to Kona? Been around since the late 80's I think. Couple of mates have Kona urban bikes and they are bombproof!

Got a link to the Absolute trAse?

Where do you live? Gears might be better if you live in Sydney.... I'd go a single speed for Melbourne for sure. Gears bring their own potential problems and need to be serviced and or fixed occasionally but they're definitely worth it in areas with lots of hills.
trAse +

Times thanked
<
It's just a gumtree ad with 'Fuji bike for sale' no details, he told me via SMS that it was a 4.0. He's asking $150, which is less than half of what I was looking to spend on a single speed bike. If I go to check it out, what would I look for to indicate that the gears were in good/bad nic?
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
Put the hard word on Dirk to sell you his flatbar road bike. The most use it gets is me riding it to the 7/11 when pissed (which is fairly rare)

It's had so little use the little nobbles on the tyres are still there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

trAse +

Times thanked
<
oh shit

I'll badger him now.
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
airconteka +

moving sideways in a forward motion

Times thanked
<
Thanked 12,697 Times in 6,102 Posts
I assume you mean the riding to 7/11 not the being pissed part is rare
Unspoilt by Progress
Astro-Boy +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 23,515 Times in 10,717 Posts
Oi, I was going to continue using that for free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heraclitus

Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.

dart +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

If I go to check it out, what would I look for to indicate that the gears were in good/bad nic?

Have a look for obvious signs of wear and tear like rust or other types of damage.

Then take it for a test ride, put it in each gear and listen to how quiet/loud it is or see if you can feel the chain rubbing in any of the gears.

Quiet = good, Noisy = bad

Though some gears will always be noisy, if it's in good nick the majority of the gears should be relatively quiet.

trAse +

Times thanked
<
Awesome advice, thanks.

And that model for $150, assuming reasonable condition, is a good deal?
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
dart +

Times thanked
<
what model is the bike? A Fuji 4.0? got a link?

trAse +

Times thanked
<
Link to a random store page with specs. http://bicyclevillage.com/product/fu...e-4.0-6212.htm

Ad doesn't give much insight other than:
I'm leaving Melbourne so I have to part ways with my favourite bike. It's a Fuji and is perfect for city riding, though it holds up well on trails as well. I've used it daily in the past 6 months and loved it
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,843 Times in 721 Posts

Quote:

Ey Rudi, I tried to PM you but it keeps failing. What's the go with the Mojo? They any good? Did you win an already built bike or the chance to build one?

ha, sorry mate think they must have been turned off?

Yeah, I got a chance to build one - it's not a bad bike for what it is - I think prize cost was quoted at $450/499 or something.. bit of a markup for the sum of the parts really - but then it's a couple of years old now too so maybe it's gone down in price?.. It's a bit like all the other cheap ebay fixies really - probably just a tad bit nicer looking than some of the unbranded $200 ones I've seen on ebay.

Think I'm just going to put in on ebay for $100 starting bid/pickup once spring rolls around and the bike market picks up again. The fuckaround trying to organise postage and shit with a built bike looke like it would be a pain in the ass, so have to rely on someone buying it locally. If you were in Sydney man, I practically would have given it away to you for a hundred - but it's just not cost/packing feasible trying to get it down to Melbtown.

Need to change the pedals on it before I sell too - I took off the pedal clips, reflectors and safety garbage - no idea where they've all got too

First thing I do when I get a new bike - spend 10 mins trying to undo the one way screw thing on the spoke reflectors
Bye now!
dart +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Link to a random store page with specs. http://bicyclevillage.com/product/fu...e-4.0-6212.htm

Ad doesn't give much insight other than:
I'm leaving Melbourne so I have to part ways with my favourite bike. It's a Fuji and is perfect for city riding, though it holds up well on trails as well. I've used it daily in the past 6 months and loved it

so $150 he's asking?

hmm. . .my thoughts

that link you gave shows that for $100 more you could get one brand new

which, depending on the shop you buy it from, might include a free service after a period of time (this is something you could negotiate maybe), plus it would have new tyres, new everything.

his bike (used every day for 6 month so the ad says) for $150 could be in perfect working order, or could be in need of a service (you'd figure that out after a test ride), if it is in need of a service you could end up paying $50-$100 for that.

So taking that into consideration I think $150 is overpriced for a used $250 bike, I'd suggest offering lower

Haggling tips:

Media Player
Error: unsupported media type.
Monty Python - Life of Brian - The Haggle - YouTube

UMGAWA +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,154 Posts
I agree with Dart, I'd spring the extra $100 for the brand spanker.
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Been looking at the Vitus Vee and Dee single gear series bikes, wondering if they'd be a decent cheap alternative to something like the bombtrack (without being fixed gear).. pretty sure the v-brake models would be the one to get, I gather discs on a single speed would be pretty useless and just add weight/cost for not much gain..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...4/rp-prod80999

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...4/rp-prod81000

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...4/rp-prod80998

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...4/rp-prod84760
Bye now!
trAse +

Times thanked
<
Thanks so much for the insight, Dart. I think I'll just wait until I've got ~$400 to throw around and get one new.
ヽ༼ʘ̆ںʘ̆༽ ノ
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,073 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Rudi View Post

Been looking at the Vitus Vee and Dee single gear series bikes

The 29er Vee looks sweet.
tapout +

tapout 1, utes 0.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,469 Posts
Does anyone have some ideas for a XC dual suspension bike for a bit of cross country/light downhill for under the $1700 mark? picking up a new sport this summer.
Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence
grumf +

"If I want to put my hands in the air I will. I don't need some fuck-stick telling me what to do." - Aphex Twin

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by tapout View Post

Does anyone have some ideas for a XC dual suspension bike for a bit of cross country/light downhill for under the $1700 mark? picking up a new sport this summer.

You could probably pick up a Giant Anthem or Trance for less than $1,700... but you'll probably want to upgrade things once you start getting into mountain biking more seriously, especially if you start entering races/events etc... before you know it you'll convince yourself you "need" a new bike... a year later:

Definitely test ride on a real trail before you buy, if you want to spend a little more you can't go wrong with a Santa Cruz / Yeti / Pivot. Could also check out the Chain Reaction / Nukeproof or YT Capra for something a little cheaper.
tapout +

tapout 1, utes 0.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,469 Posts
Cheers, jumping on a mates DH bike this weekend hopefully for run to see if its for me, will make some decissions about what type of bike i need after that.
Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence
grumf +

"If I want to put my hands in the air I will. I don't need some fuck-stick telling me what to do." - Aphex Twin

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Rudi View Post

Been looking at the Vitus Vee and Dee single gear series bikes, wondering if they'd be a decent cheap alternative to something like the bombtrack (without being fixed gear).. pretty sure the v-brake models would be the one to get, I gather discs on a single speed would be pretty useless and just add weight/cost for not much gain..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...4/rp-prod80999

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...4/rp-prod81000

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...4/rp-prod80998

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/a...4/rp-prod84760

I recently bought the Vee-1 26" to use as a winter commuter/pub bike. Solid bike, ditched the plastic pedals and put on some proper flats. Pretty sweet for $300....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/w...als/rp-prod563
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumf View Post

I recently bought the Vee-1 26" to use as a winter commuter/pub bike. Solid bike, ditched the plastic pedals and put on some proper flats. Pretty sweet for $300....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/w...als/rp-prod563

Used to exclusively use the GT version of those back when I BMXed, got a few really bad scars on my legs from those pins (which get scraped up on BMX, sharpen up and really dig in).. and when they do dig in they go right through the cartilage too Probably not as big a deal on a commuter bike since you aren't doing any kind of jumping, but for me and my now fragile shin scars, plastic pedals all the way
Bye now!
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
So I'm looking for a bike in Japan which is a bit hard as few salespeople speak english.

also work are very concerned that it's such a long ride (14km, dead pan flat apart from 2 small hills, one has over 20% gradient, but it's gotta be wrong)

now the Japanese are all worried about that it's too dangerous to ride to work. cute. I used to ride in Sydney, this is a god damn cake walk.

http://www.cycly.co.jp/f/dsg-151598

Last edited by Bracko: 28-Aug-14 at 08:07am

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Pulled the trigger on a trek 2009 madone 4.3 with full ultegra. Bontranger race wheels

Had the opportunity to buy a pretty much new felt f5? With 105 (demo bike) for $250 more but it just felt a bit strange. Sure i can have it fit but the trek frame is still damn tight and I just felt comfortable riding it as soon as I got on it.

Was all set to ride it the ~20km home but by the time I got out there, haggled over another bike, found the felt and trek, considerised and decided it was too late in the day and it's probably a bit far to ride without knicks and with riding shoes. Oh, and I had no idea how to get home and they didn't have a phone holder.

Last edited by Bracko: 31-Aug-14 at 05:49pm

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
riders thrown off the tour of Spain for punching on!
step on my cubes.

Last edited by Bracko: 09-Sep-14 at 12:38am

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
fuck me I forgot how much I HATE replacing road bike tyres.

that's the last one I'm doing in a controlled environment. from now on I'm just taking it down to a bike shop. I'm sick of nicking inner tubes while trying to get the fucking tyre back in.
step on my cubes.
budoo +

Times thanked
<
Sounds like you're using the tyre levers to put the tyre back on? If so, you should be able to do it without. It'll require some decent twisting to get the last part on but it's easily doable.
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

fuck me I forgot how much I HATE replacing road bike tyres.

that's the last one I'm doing in a controlled environment. from now on I'm just taking it down to a bike shop. I'm sick of nicking inner tubes while trying to get the fucking tyre back in.

Specialized All Condition Armadillos
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by budoo View Post

Sounds like you're using the tyre levers to put the tyre back on? If so, you should be able to do it without. It'll require some decent twisting to get the last part on but it's easily doable.

Never have been. Damn my girly supple office softened hands.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,883 Times in 868 Posts
Tubeless4lyf yo.*

*which I will get around to one day.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
I have a nice pair of race wheels though. I'm assuming I cant just chuck tubless on a non tubeless rim.
DrugfuctDonkey +

Times thanked
<
http://www.wiggle.com.au/hutchinson-...ess-road-tyre/

Hutchinson dominate the tubeless market. Maxxis also have the Padrone but by they're well overpriced.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,883 Times in 868 Posts
Seen 3 fat bikes around the inner burbs in Melbourne recently.

They're the new fixies.
Hey hey, you can change this shit again. Only a couple of years late.
budoo +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I have a nice pair of race wheels though. I'm assuming I cant just chuck tubless on a non tubeless rim.

Yeah, no. They need to be compatible.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
The girlfriend has been moaning that she wants to go cycling, she's got some busted arse mountain bike that one of her friend gave her, running gear is rusted to shit and it weighs half a tonne. Instead of spending my precious weekend time cleaning that up and spending money on parts etc, I jumped on bikeexchange and saw I could buy a brand new girlie fixie for 2 hunge! genius.

http://www.velomofo.com.au/Ladies-Bi...e-speed-bike-2

$359 @ velomofo website, $199 on bikeexchange. bargain

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Page 39 of 39

« Previous Thread Next Thread »