The Music Studio

where can i find an acapella?

Tools
slave2thegrind +

Times thanked
<
where can i find an acapella?
im trying to do a bit of remixing and want to find an acapella version of a song. google doesnt turn up many good results which makes me think im looking for the wrong thing or maybe they are hard to come across. ive also been trying filters and eq but cant clean the vocals up enough. Im pretty new to this so sum direction would be nice so where does everyone get their acapellas from?
archietech +

DO A THING

Times thanked
<
acapulco?
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
the tasmanian connection

sunday 8pm --> 10pm EST! on www.nsbradio.co.uk

Bbb RrRr Ee A KK SssSSs and such

hi i'm a facebook thing for this
~*~**~**~~*~**~**~**~**~*~~*~**~**~*~**~**~~*~**~* *~*~**~**~~*
slave2thegrind +

Times thanked
<
A vocal track of a published song
Rockah +

Times thanked
<
cant remember the exact name of the site
but something along the lines of acapella4u.co.uk
groovewell +

wishes he was in the studio....

Times thanked
<
acapellas4u.co.uk seems to be the best site out there.

i don't know how legal it is though, cause all of the tracks are user uploaded. 5 track/month download limit.

they also have a whole lot of info on their forums about ripping acapellas from tracks and the DIY approach.
OUT NOW on Midnite Music! - Pretension - I'm No Star

SOUNDCLOUD // TWITTER // EMAIL // PRODUCTION BLOG <<< DIY Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps
jibber +

oh crap

Times thanked
<
your favourite p2p app should return some results, depending on what song your after
ummmmmmmm
nanoloop +

French Envelope Generator

Times thanked
<
if you can find the instrumental you can also phase invert it and isolate the vocals.

Media Player

Last edited by nanoloop: 08-Feb-08 at 12:02pm

DJ Fusion +

As real as it gets...

Times thanked
<
I was watching American Idol last night and I realised how many awesome acapella samples could be ripped from that show. They use good mics, there's a bit of room ambience, so all you need is one singer who didn't screw up one verse and you can use that verse.
rhythmboy +

"I am the Beef Chief..."

Times thanked
<
There's a free remix site, where artists share files legally under creative commons licences

http://www.ccmixter.org

There's tab linking you to dedicated acapellas - they won't be top 40 but plenty to get started.

You can search for acapellas by melody, rap and spoken word, and also search for specific tempos.
slave2thegrind +

Times thanked
<
great info! they should spice up my tracks nicely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanoloop

if you can find the instrumental you can also phase invert it and isolate the vocals.

this is a very interesting concept. Have you tried this before and how good were the results?

i understand that the instrumental needs to be exactly the same sonicly as the sample with the vocals.

say i had a song with 4 bars of instumental then it repeats itself with vocals. It could be chopped up and phase inverted aswell? i would think it might be present in lots of published songs?
groovewell +

wishes he was in the studio....

Times thanked
<
yeah phase inversion works sometimes... The instrumental has to be exactly the same as the instrumental behind the vocal in the original to get a perfect clean acapella.

This gets tricky when the tracks are mixed and mastered. Correct me if i am wrong, but most people would master a track with some sort of compressor/mastering utilities on the main sends and the vocal and instrumental get compressed together depending on their combined signal. In contrast, when an instrumental is made, the vocal might just be muted or removed and the final compression/mastering takes place depending on the signal from the instrumental only.

This would mean that there are some slight differences between the instrumental and the instrumental under the vocals on the full track.

This is just how I interpret it. Correct me if i am wrong sound engineers out there...

This leads me to a question.... does...

Instrumental x Reverb + Vocal x Reverb = (Instrumental + Vocal) x Reverb

If the reverb used on the instrumental and the vocal were the same, would combining them separately with each part be the same as combining the two parts and then addign th same reverb?
OUT NOW on Midnite Music! - Pretension - I'm No Star

SOUNDCLOUD // TWITTER // EMAIL // PRODUCTION BLOG <<< DIY Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps
rhythmboy +

"I am the Beef Chief..."

Times thanked
<
^ I think it would be common to have the instrumental mastered separately to the vocal, but the differences may be minimal. Muting the vocal wouldn't require a drastic change to EQ on the track, for example.

the reverb thing is interesting when it comes to phase reversal, because many reverb elements are likely to be out of phase already - it's the nature of the effect. Mono reverb no, but stereo reverb for sure. End result is you throw tracks out phase and are left with nothing - but reverb! Phase, flange and chorus effects can do the same - they add rather than cancel because they were already out to start with.

In answer to your question, there could be some subtle differences that would affect phase possibly.

If all tracks including vocal bus to the same reverb, then all tracks are processed with the same relative level and time delays of the verb. If two of the same reverb are inserted on vocals and backing separately, you may still get some level and timing differences - very small but possibly enough to impact on phase differently.
N4TE +

I play rough now - don't like it? Don't play.

Times thanked
<
Quite a lot of 12 inches and cd singles include the dry vocal element, check the sleeve for "track title (acapella)" If you'd ever been into a record store and brought music, you'd probably know this.

Just getting into production? Have a legitimate and honest desire to hone your skills, rather than just wanting to bludge contemporary & popular vocals for your own bedroom white label fantasy? Then why not enter remix competitions, acapellas and most other elements supplied for your educational benefit, with the (often emerging) artist's consent. there's dozens of places to get into this, here's just one, but they always have at least two comps running at any one time.

http://www.acidplanet.com/contests/
“Care more than others think is wise,
risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical
and expect more than others think is possible."
anders8b +

Andaz (Phonatics)

Times thanked
<
your can buy 16bit WAV acapellas from Beatport for a few bucks each. Don't bother remixing with an MP3!
Andaz

Phonatics
slave2thegrind +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by N4TE

Quite a lot of 12 inches and cd singles include the dry vocal element, check the sleeve for "track title (acapella)" If you'd ever been into a record store and brought music, you'd probably know this.

Just getting into production? Have a legitimate and honest desire to hone your skills, rather than just wanting to bludge contemporary & popular vocals for your own bedroom white label fantasy? Then why not enter remix competitions, acapellas and most other elements supplied for your educational benefit, with the (often emerging) artist's consent. there's dozens of places to get into this, here's just one, but they always have at least two comps running at any one time.

thanks for the information but maybe next time you could leave out the negative and condescending attitude.
rhythmboy +

"I am the Beef Chief..."

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slave2thegrind

thanks for the information but maybe next time you could leave out the negative and condescending attitude.

I actually gotta agree to a point. I learnt my craft by ripping off album tracks (esp acoustic songs with little to no drums), cutting out the bits I liked and making remixes for the fun of it. Never released them but honed the skills.

It was playing some of those early experiments to people 'in the scene' that scored me genuine paid remixes and mashups not long after.

N4TE's suggestion of the remix comps is a great one, but don't feel that writing toons under your fave vocal is a bludge for your bedroom fantasy or whatever. You still learn a lot about key, tempo, song structure and melodic writing when you work with successful commercial stuff. Analyse, critique, learn - and you'll be doing better original music in no time
shaggdoggz +

Times thanked
<
Theres a few vinyls going around stores in sydney and melbourne at the moment that are just compilations of the acappellas for house music, one place i know that is deffinately selling them at the moment in Spank records near Oxford st in sydney.
DJ MVC +

Times thanked
<
ive got plenty of records with accapella's....if u want you can buy them off me.
slave2thegrind +

Times thanked
<
im a little more enlightened now. you will have to excuse me as im from a metal background and this is all very new to me. luckily ive found beatport, online stores, and freeware sample sites that have brought me out of the 90's and fulfilled my needs. cheers for all the advice ITM

Last edited by slave2thegrind: 16-Feb-08 at 12:45am

beakers +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by N4TE

People put just as much effort into a bootleg as a remix as an original.

Most people generally hone their skills every time they make a tune.. All you need to

do is keep doing it.. The practice is what makes you better... not the legalities.

sound is sound as good music is good music..

« Previous Thread Next Thread »