Warehouse living in Sydney

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Times thanked
< 301
Warehouse living in Sydney
Hmm, not knowing where to start, why not ask a forum full of randoms. I'm sure I'll get serious answers too

Say one were keen to create an environment for around 5 people to live in, with ample space for band practise and/or live shows, workshop and art space as well as enough room for the residents to keep away from each other lest they go mad... where would one start in terms of research and availability.

Basically I'd like to live in a warehouse space but don't know how to go about it. There's a few like-minded individuals interested and I have the motivation to make something happen. How does leasing such a place work out in terms of zoning and legality and also how do you go about convincing the owners that it's a good idea to let us run rampant in their property?

I've had a quick search online but because it's such a broad area of discussion the results I'm getting are vague. Any advice would be appreciated, and I can see something special being created to benefit those with similar areas of interest.
I'm a DJ, I push the volume up to 10
the lights are dancing in the red, I'm distorting it again
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 982
i guess the hardest part would be that pretty much all "warehouse" property's are zoned for commercial use so i dont know if the landlord or real estate would allow it. I'm fairly sure that most commercial leases woulld state that property is not for residential use.

That and the fact that most dont have proper kitchen / bathroom facilities.

Saying that its a f'in cool idea and somethign i've daydreamed about a bit.

What area you looking at? Surry Hills is the obvious choice....
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
holtless +

Look at 'im go!

Times thanked
< 0
i've got a mate who's actually just gone ahead and done this. a warehouse penthouse apartment for i think five or six people. i'm going to the housewarming this saturday, so if you remember, pm me monday (because i'll forget for sure) and i'll make sure to find out how he got the place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zooky

I'm more offended about the fluro headband comment yo, that shits not cool, i have taste, and an impecable dress sense

Dase +

Times thanked
< 0
There used to be heaps in Surry Hills, I think most have been developed as offices or yuppy pads now....awesome days those were!!!!

Nothing stopping you looking outside Suzza to other areas.. Might suck a bit if its a commercial district.
Midi In The City SPACE

Live Experimental DnB'tronica The Zodiac Project - MYSPACE

Send Me your Track
qoop +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 3,397

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dase

Nothing stopping you looking outside Suzza to other areas...

Suzza?
what an Australian way of calling Surry Hills!
these words fill this space
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 982
if your looking around the inner west i think theres possibly some warehouse space along Alice st, Newtown.
Playing at;

SHRUG
phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 203
Surry Hills ? fuck that, theres not many left that arnt surrounded by apartments. Best bet is to try Marrickville, St Peters, Tempe, Sydenham, Alexandria, Waterloo, Zetland - basically all the old light industrial areas.

They are commercial properties, but a lot of them that have small offices do have kitchenette's and bathrooms, you'll most likely need partitions to cordon off bedrooms - unless you're lucky. If the warehouse is old & run down most landlords wont care if you live in them.

Last edited by phoneyhuh: 01-May-08 at 10:23am

hubris +

Times thanked
< 12
i was in redfern trying to get a train to erko... and i i ended up on a express to bloody burwood

anyway.. i noticed a cool looking space in summer hill up for grabs , along the train line road

anyway forget newtown or surryhills... too expensive and too populated - so forget band practice or parties unless you're down with pissied off neighbouus and police... or willing to spend thousands on sound proofing

st peters, marrickville..alexandria they came up quite often .... http://www.realcommercial.com.au

also ... just driving around these areas and seeing what 'for lease' signage is up

prices vary greatly, just make sure they have a bathroom. it's easy to buy a portable gassstove element if there isn't one in the kitchen area
hOuSeMuSiC +

Hbomb

Times thanked
< 0
funny you mention this topic
i was planning on buying a warehouse space and turning into my own place too sometime in the beginning of next year

been having a looc seriously for the past few weeks.
heaps of places. depending on where your looking at.
only looking for my bf and myself so don't need anything toooooo BIG

like someone mentioned before - you'd have to check with estate lawyers and such to see if it's actually legal to live in one. You'd also have to add a bathroom and kitchen to it so you should take that into consideration.

realcommercial.com.au is a good site to check out to see whats on offer like ^^^ hubris said.

hotless let us know info about your friends warehouse next week. would love to know more info.

also should see what else in near you. you don't want to have mechanics or anything like that next door - would be too much noise. going for something near offices would be good.

how exciting
Home is where the trailers parked!!
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
< 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubris

anyway.. i noticed a cool looking space in summer hill up for grabs , along the train line road

I noticed the other day a For Lease sign up on your old place (Choc Factory) with the words "suitable for art space" etc etc. Perhaps the devleopment isn't going ahead after all?

And yeh, forget Surry Hills. Best places to look would be Marrickville, Tempe and Alexandria.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.... Lord Byron
hubris +

Times thanked
< 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitchen

I noticed the other day a For Lease sign up on your old place (Choc Factory) with the words "suitable for art space" etc etc. Perhaps the devleopment isn't going ahead after all?

And yeh, forget Surry Hills. Best places to look would be Marrickville, Tempe and Alexandria.

yeah it's been on the market since two weeks after we all left

i've heard different stories about what's the go with it

i realyl couldn't give a fuck. somebody ran off with the slippery slide anyway
Shit-Kickasss +

Times thanked
< 0
Warehouse lifestylin has heaps of sweeteners, however keep in mind unless you find somewhere with good soundproofed walls, it’s kinda like living in one big bedroom together. Which is fine if you have no qualms about noisy sex, banging music and general living noise at any time of the day, heehee So if you’re the type of person that’s bothered by ‘noise’ it’s DEFINITELY not for you. Or if you like lots of privacy. I was never one to worry about noise/music etc but now I can literally sleep through anything! However I really value my privacy and space. Something to think about…. Perhaps if it’s really music that’s the priority, you could look at renting a studio space.
Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Times thanked
< 301

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh

Best bet is to try Marrickville, St Peters, Tempe, Sydenham, Alexandria

Exactly where I'm looking... there's something about inner southwest that's appealing, I'm looking to live there warehouse or not. Funnily enough there's a group of warehouse venues (pitz, maggotville, dirty shirlows) that are in parallel streets off Sydenham Rd and that's one area that's very appealing.
It'd probably take months to have everything set up properly, ie turning office space in to living space, building a decent kitchen, sorting out the bathrooms and all that... there's heaps of compromises and I'm aware of a lot of them, but I'm also pretty handy with the DIY thing so if we're allowed free reign with constructions I could take care of that with ese.
It's not just about music either, there's other things worth exploring that require space - opening a creative arts space, I am also partial to DIY as mentioned so some workshop space would be nice, and having some room would be good to see if I can launch a boutique shirt printing facility.

Hmmmm...
Ideally somewhere with a decent amount of office space would be a start, and in an area where most business' are either run down or relatively quiet in what they do. Mind you I've worked in engineering workshops for a while and listen to experimental/noise as well as breakcore and metal for pleasure so loud noise won't bother me at least Also having 2 toilets and a built in kitchen would be a bonus, there's a few places that are well equipped but they're also relatively new so doubt they'd be viable.

Don't knock Burwood! home for me right now though I must move. I know where you're talking about, Summer Hill is nice but that place is like a country village, no chance of getting away with what I want plus it's a bit too far from the action.

One thing I consider important is having the right people move in, ones with similar mindset and can overcome the negatives without too much drama. Don't want randoms I'm unfamiliar with making life difficult during the initial stages of getting it set up, that's for sure. That's being worked on, though not an easy task.

If you know people who have been a part of setting up similar places to what I'm talking about, get them in contact - all advice regards to leasing and renovations is welcome as that's the first and biggest hurdle to overcome.
buffed +

Times thanked
< 172
First thing you need to do is check zonings in particular area's you are interested in and then immediately exclude any area that is zoned general industrial or light industrial or industrial as you will not be permitted to convert to residential use. all you need to do is download the marrickville council zoning plan off their website and pinpoint area's and their zonings.

The only zonings that will allow residential use is a mixed use zone, general business zone and some commercial zone's.

In that regard, your best bet is south sydney (alexandria, waterloo, zetland, rosebery and beaconsfield) which has the 10 mixed use zone which allows a wide range of uses including residential, industrial and commercial within the same zone.
McFargus +

Weeeeee!

Times thanked
< 73
Cool idea, spesh about the making the t-shirts.

Kind of something like Andy Warhols "Factory"?
samheaton85 +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by qoop

Suzza?
what an Australian way of calling Surry Hills!

True. I enjoy it when "The Sluzza" is thrown around by residents even more! a suburb that super needs an enjoyable name
Faith in dance music officially restored.
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
My cousin lives in a mad warehouse on Elizabeth street in Sluzza. Cool pad. Except for the rats. And the pigeons. And the cockroaches. And the bums. And the noise. And the fact they have to jam all their stuff under tarps and in cupboards whenever the landlord comes round to check on it. BOO! Why can't everyone just leave them alone!

They do it illegally (i.e its rented as a commercial space) so there are a lot of issues involved in that. But its cool and yeh, i wish i could do it. Although, i would prefer to have a proper shower....
(◕.◕u)
Shit-Kickasss +

Times thanked
< 0
My mum was telling me the other day about housing co-ops. How it would be cool to start up a arts based one somewhere in Redfern. Apparently you can get government grants to help you buy/rent/renovate/build accommodation etc. Not a bad idea to look into particularly with the current environment...

Here's a little bit of info just from a quick google search. Probably some better info around somewhere. http://www.arch.asn.au/coop.html

Anyone here actually live/lived in one???
peccadilios +

lady to ladette

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by hubris

yeah it's been on the market since two weeks after we all left

i've heard different stories about what's the go with it

i realyl couldn't give a fuck. somebody ran off with the slippery slide anyway

I'm pretty sure there's people living there now, last few times i've been past there were lights on.
Brennan_Heart +

The Imaginary Foundation

Times thanked
< 0
sounds like such a solid plan, as good as my Dubbus
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known"

---------

Wear because you care - theneedfortees.com
Darko_ +

here to be scene

Times thanked
< 0
RIP chocolate factory !
Nothin' but broken windows here
Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Times thanked
< 301
Cheers Buffed - zoning is a big issue but what gets me is the group of warehouses I mentioned off Sydenham Rd are in Industrial zoning so I need to know what tricks they pulled to get away with it.
phoneyhuh +

3o~

Times thanked
< 203
Friends of mine used to live in the Maggotville warehouse, dont know who lives there now ?

Anyway. Yeah it's zoned industrial, not sure exactly how they pulled it off with the landlord, Pretty sure he knows that people live in it but doesnt care.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 982
Just saw an interesting one on Addison rd, M/ville (cnr of Phillpot st) was with Cent 21. I got a pic on my phone i'll upload this evening. Its in a light commercial / residental area.
Playing at;

SHRUG
AndyRobbo +

Times thanked
< 0
what you asking is pretty big call, leasing something and then doing improvments to the property is a little silly, you may find a good landlord that will give you rent rebate for the work you do however it is a long shot, with no new light industrial/office developments coming into the city fringe market in 07 rents are increasing and with no new developments in the pipeline for the near future it will continue. Land values esp inner west are making deveolment viability difficult.

5-6 people you are going to need a rather large space, another problem you are going to face is parking

ive done the numbers on the warehouse living thing, so i should probably be trying to earn more coin, instead of on the ITM forums....

hit up real commercial, search via map, tick vacant possession and offices. Will yeild you a few places that are work/live warehouse pads

Good luck anyway
Oarsome +

Times thanked
< 2
I'm confused
My girlfriend and I have fallen in love with an apartment for lease in a converted warehouse in Chippendale, but it's a commercial lease... does that mean we can't live in it? Why would they list it? Someone fill me in....
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,365
There's a guy who has a Warehouse in St Peters. He lives in it on a mezzanine type upper floor and the whole downstairs is a big party room with bar, toilets, sound system the works. He rents it out for parties, I've played at a couple in there, great fun.

However, I can't answer your question on how he does it, sorry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oarsome

I'm confused
My girlfriend and I have fallen in love with an apartment for lease in a converted warehouse in Chippendale, but it's a commercial lease... does that mean we can't live in it? Why would they list it? Someone fill me in....

you have to do it on the sly. my cousin lives in one in Surry Hills but he has to "prove" that he is running a business out of there - he has an ABN and all that.
(◕.◕u)
robbz_69 +

needs more dog...

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by base615

There's a guy who has a Warehouse in St Peters. He lives in it on a mezzanine type upper floor and the whole downstairs is a big party room with bar, toilets, sound system the works. He rents it out for parties, I've played at a couple in there, great fun.

That would be wicked hahah...

something like that would def be a cool thing to do with like minded people when i eventually decide to move out.
Exclusive mixes, news and Deep house & Disco goodness at http://blankcanvasnights.blogspot.com/
Sideshow Rod +

Times thanked
< 13
There are some residentialspaces in Ultimo & Broadway... they go pretty quickly though because they are used exactly like you want... band practice / studios / art areas etc

base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

Times thanked
< 2,365

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbz_69

That would be wicked hahah...

something like that would def be a cool thing to do with like minded people when i eventually decide to move out.

Found some pictures of said warehouse (crazy uniform party);

Awesome little space

Quote:

Last edited by base615: 18-May-09 at 02:24pm

filou +

Times thanked
< 0
i think you need to let us know when the next party is. looks like something different from the usual chk chk boom kings x shootings.
Spitchen +

musical host

Times thanked
< 39

Quote:

He's a good mate of mine. I played there on Saturday night. He's put more and better sound in so now its a very good space.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.... Lord Byron
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
< 9

Quote:

My old school uniform!

And yeah - St Petersburg rocks as a venue.
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,365

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

My old school uniform!

The one my wife's wearing?

Quote:

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 982
i can picture you in a skirt jez
Playing at;

SHRUG
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
< 9
^ The Moriah one. He wouldn't have been allowed to wear the Summer shirt with the Tie, though.
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,365

Quote:

^ The Moriah one. He wouldn't have been allowed to wear the Summer shirt with the Tie, though.

There are much more sensible school dress codes in this country. When I went to school in the UK I had to wear a blazer and cap and bags were banned, you had to carry a briefcase (with about 3 tonnes of books in it) WTF?!?!

Quote:

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
< 982

Quote:

There are much more sensible school dress codes in this country. When I went to school in the UK I had to wear a blazer and cap and bags were banned, you had to carry a briefcase (with about 3 tonnes of books in it) WTF?!?!

we had to wear shorts all year round.....not fun when it snowed
Playing at;

SHRUG
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,365

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

we had to wear shorts all year round.....not fun when it snowed

Same

Quote:

****** +

Times thanked
< 0
BS

- your mum has this discount wharehouse, everybody goes there......

why don't you chat to the figure-8 kids, or even Hijack....
base615 +

Times thanked
< 2,365

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitchen

He's a good mate of mine. I played there on Saturday night. He's put more and better sound in so now its a very good space.

Any idea how he did it, is it zoned for commercial and he's just living there on the sly or did he work some way out to live there legit?

Quote:

biscuffin +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

And yeah - St Petersburg rocks as a venue.

There's apparently a warehouse party there this coming Sunday...where is St Petersburg exactly (besides St Peters)? I was thinking of going.
art_now +

Times thanked
< 0
Wow a few posts..........

I know a bit about warehouses

and know of artists living in one..plus an interior designer renting a place for $60 a week

There's some good opportunities out there..

PM me for more info..

I currently have thought about leasing a warehouse..
just its not in a great area..

weblink
weblink

happening a bit overseas..

Ive studied architecture for 3 years in a institution/uni/tafe
art_now +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by art_now

Wow a few posts..........

I know a bit about warehouses

and know of artists living in one..plus an interior designer renting a place for $60 a week

There's some good opportunities out there..

PM me for more info..

I currently have thought about leasing a warehouse..
just its not in a great area..

weblink
weblink

happening a bit overseas..

Ive studied architecture for 3 years in a institution/uni/tafe

Yeah I'd be keen to help..

certainly with ideas and brainstorming etc..
art_now +

Times thanked
< 0
And i spent 8 years in aussie lol
zcream +

Times thanked
< 0
Just missed out on renting a mixed zoned house with a HUGE shed that I was thinking of converting to a photo/video studio.

It was in Marrickville.

does anyone know of similar places with say a 3-4 bedder and a huge shed/large garage (about 20 sq m) that can be rented ?
Bitsmasher +

alldeathmetalallthetime

Times thanked
< 301
Hello old thread. I live in Canberra now... slightly removed from original intentions.
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 216

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bitsmasher View Post

Hello old thread. I live in Canberra now... slightly removed from original intentions.

bit of a downgrade?

benway +

Times thanked
< 1
Hi. Just wondering on where you are at with the commercial / industrial property idea
Hi. I know this is a really old thread, and your last reply was almost a year ago, but if you're still on these boards :
I'm curious why you didn't follow through with this?
I've had the exact same idea lately, a few months ago,
which is how I stumbled on this thread a few months ago, by googling related words, such as "Converting warehouse" and "convert commercial to residential" and etc.
and I've had trouble getting off the ground with it myself just because of money, but I haven't given up on the idea at all.

I'd be interested to know where you are at with this idea?
Any more info?
Have you been looking into it, or given the idea away?

Cheers.
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »