first gig, scared as shit! halp!!!!

Page 1 of 16
  Tools
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
first gig, scared as shit! halp!!!!
ahh shit! so im playing in public for the first time this weekend, its and open decks event.
stressing out and thinking about bailing
any last second advice to over come the nerves, been bedroom banging for too long and need to suck it up.

who's had really bad experiences for their first gig, or even better really good ones? i definatly need some motivation to get away from the the bedroom!
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
harden up and drink lots of alcohol.
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
ahah oh yeah, ill barf on the decks and end up hitting on the promoter, cheers man
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Get there at least an hour before your set so you can familiarise yourself with the setup you'll be playing on/ask the guy who's playing before you if there's any quirks to the system etc.
Have at least 2 drinks, no more than 4 - helps settle your nerves, get into the groove easier.
Remeber that only the other DJs notice fuck ups (unless they're total train wrecks) and everyone is just there to have fun...so are you...relax, play some choons, do your best and enjoy and learn from the experience
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
Just think of it as another bedroom session
www.weeknsoundz.com
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
haha yea i had a shitty experience on my first proper gig. smoked a blunt with my mate before i jumped on the decks, nerves hit me BIG TIME (more so than if i hadn't been stoned i think) and after a couple of mixes i got disoriented and lifted the needle off the rekkid that was playing. then some chick came up to me asking for rnb & hiphop, and after she looked into my blood-shot eyes i'm pretty sure she never came back to that bar again.

moral of story: eat valium or drink beer instead.

from what i gathered, most people's 1st gig is a nerve-racking failure in some form, so don't worry. you'll be better the 2nd time around!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
I had my first gig early this year and spent the whole week shitting myself and nearly pulled out about 3 hours before it started......ended up playing and it went perfect.

some advice....just be prepared!

find out what gear they have and get familiar with it, if you havent used it before hire the same stuff.

have a bit of a plan of what you want to play. a good dj will play off the bat, but seeing its your first gig id guess its 40mins to 1hr. so just be confident with your tracks, learn them inside & out.

have 2-3 tracks set out to start with that you can ALWAYS mix perfect, that will help you get over the nerves.

have a COUPLE of drinks, its does help you calm the nerves, dont touch drugs though.

club systems are a LOT louder than your bedroom so be prepared for that. good thing is that it covers up a little slip a bit.

dont worry about a minor trainwreck, most punters wont even notice.

and have fun! thats the most important part
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
ahh no, i always mix up a storm when im bent tho, didn't even think of the nerves being tripled with that. ahh fuck it, ill just have a big practise session tonight, work my shit out.
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
seriosuly man felt the same as you. But once i mixed my first song i was like HEY this is just like the bedroom i can do this and its been fine ever since. I did a great set IMO
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
1. Find out what mixer the venue uses, if you're unfamiliar with it call up its user manual on the internet and get familiar!
2. Prepare your set
3. Bring some mates to keep your nerves at bay
4. Hang around after your set and met new people / get loose
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
oh shit, didnt even think the mixer will be an 800, bit different to a dxm06.

going to start to see if i can hire one
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy

from what i gathered, most people's 1st gig is a nerve-racking failure in some form, so don't worry. you'll be better the 2nd time around!

Not I...knew i had 45mins...knew the people who were going to be there and what type of music they like...practiced a specific set and didn't deviate from it...one mix slipped a bit, everything else went as planned and my fav DJ in town was even there for it and he gave me huge props

DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by southern_dan

going to start to see if i can hire one

LOL...I think it is a good idea...the monitoring aspect can change from what you are used too, so that could be a problem...
www.weeknsoundz.com
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

I had my first gig early this year and spent the whole week shitting myself and nearly pulled out about 3 hours before it started......ended up playing and it went perfect.

some advice....just be prepared!

find out what gear they have and get familiar with it, if you havent used it before hire the same stuff.

have a bit of a plan of what you want to play. a good dj will play off the bat, but seeing its your first gig id guess its 40mins to 1hr. so just be confident with your tracks, learn them inside & out.

have 2-3 tracks set out to start with that you can ALWAYS mix perfect, that will help you get over the nerves.

have a COUPLE of drinks, its does help you calm the nerves, dont touch drugs though.

club systems are a LOT louder than your bedroom so be prepared for that. good thing is that it covers up a little slip a bit.

dont worry about a minor trainwreck, most punters wont even notice.

and have fun! thats the most important part

That's cool advices and very recomforting...
www.weeknsoundz.com
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
yeah also the effects are what im concerned about.

hey guys i can get a 600, are they much different to a 800 when it come to monitoring and effects?
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
Not really! But the 600 doesnt have any sound colour effects (filter crunch sweep harmonic) Otherwise its basically the same. Get a friend to show you the ropes of the mixer.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
the only major difference are the effects, cueing etc are the same

as its your first gig i wouldnt touch them too much anyway
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
hey good idea on getting to learn the mixer at the place you're playing. 800's and 600's have practically the same method of initiating effects, aside from the extra buttons and knobs for each channel on the 800. but the echo, reverb, etc effects are all the same and the mixer works exactly the same way and has pretty much the same layout. once you know one, you'll know the other.

edit: yeah, what they said ^^^

random kiwi -- lol lucky you! i guess i was prepared music wise, but the nerves are what got me in the end. ah well, mistakes are to be learned from.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
unfortunately i dont really know many dj's/ arnt mates with them/severed friendships

think ill just hire the 600 for the weekend and hope i can still work it out.
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
peow going to pick it up now, good stuff, im pumped now
djaudiophile +

licking the lid of life

Times thanked
<
DJM800 effects overview.
Media Player

and yeah Dan all these fella's are spot on, have a couple of drinks, know your tracks etc..

you will end up finishing your set and be all like "ah shit its over already?"

my first gig (thanks to Mr Richcur up there) went smooth as.
same thing for me never used the djm800 before so didnt really use FX just concentrated on the beatmatching and EQ mixing.
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
don't go for any tricky mixes for your first few tracks ... start with some tracks you're very familiar with and could mix in your sleep ... this will give you time to get used to the mixer which seems to be a major concern for a lot of people here

mixers all essentially work the same way ... don't stress about the mixer

just think about playing some tunes you enjoy
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
awesome help guys, dont think i would be playing tomorrow night without you. omg that sounds so fucking lame

just picked up the djm600 then, feeling good and pumped now, just realised im going to need some new headphones, i dont think my numark crap will cut it against a decent sound system.
DaBomb77 +

Times thanked
<
its a learning experience,
just imagine you are playing in your lounge room and like Funkedub said don't try any tricky mixes,
everything that you learn from this first gig will help you for the rest of your djing life, so be confident and concentrate what you are doing, have your mix semi planned out. as long as you can beat match you will have no real probs. good luck mate.
tony d +

The Knights who say ‘Ni’

Times thanked
<
just smile and look like you're having fun even if you're shitting it. Nothing better than watching a DJ who looks like he loves what he is doing. It's infectious and will get the crowd on your side. Also be sure and look up ever now and then. Don;t be bent over looking at the mixer all the time... you'll grow confidence seeing a foot tap and a few heads nodding to your music. good luck
http://www.soulshine.org
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
cheers mate!
autumn acid +

pandering

Times thanked
<
never done it before, but it's only fucking music man. it's not like your spreading a uterus and aiding the delivery of a baby. punters perspective - whenever someone comes off the decks and i talk to them, they always talk about some stuff up here or there.... i don't ever notice though.
EAD
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
i dunno, ive seen chicks get pretty wet over a good mix. maybe ill put up a no pregnant chicks allowed sign. we don't want one falling out in the middle of a good set now do we!
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn acid

whenever someone comes off the decks and i talk to them, they always talk about some stuff up here or there.... i don't ever notice though.

yea, it's like that

"great set man"
"ah yea ... fukked up the blah blah blahdiddy blah blah blah mix though"

I've gotten to the point where i don't even care if mixes i upload are tremendously tight ... i realise for most folks it's about track selection and progression
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
so where are you playing? your in brisbane right?
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
nah not in brissy unfortunately, up north in townsville, playing at a northern exposure gig held in some dodgey location. i cant wait, we dont get things like this up here very much, its a great starting point to, no pressure to play townsville cheese.
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
wha style you play? cd or vinyl?
southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
vinyl, tech, house, minimal, trying to get into DNB, kinda having trouble finding my grounding, also having trouble affording records!!
rowdworx +

DJ IMPERIAL

Times thanked
<
If it's your first gig, I wouldn't use the effects, there's no need. Also practise your first couple of mixes at home a lot. Make sure you look like you're having fun and the crowd will enjoy it.

Everyone makes mistakes at some point, if you do, just get on with it.
IMPERIAL
miki moto +

Alex in Wonderland

Times thanked
<
Don't be afraid to play a few tracks that are 1-2 years old (as long as they weren't charted otherwise everyone will be over them). The first gig is your chance to dig up all those little gems that you've found in obscure record stores or on obscure labels.

Good luck!!
3/7/08 BBC Presents Kid Cudi & the Rogue Element @ Uber.
9/8/08 Hit & Mix @ Barsoma

www.myspace.com/alexbeames
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
^^^ ANY gig is the time to do that - people get too hung up on the freshest of fresh tracks when you don't need to - so long as the tracks weren't anthems back in their day (and even if they were, you can get away with the odd one here or there, sometimes works wonders to be honest) then you can play tracks which are oodles old! So long as they were well produced tracks then, most will still sound fine now and most people won't even know they're not fresh!
Dub DeLay +

check the intensive snare

Times thanked
<
here's a tip southern_dan, remind yourself that this is what you always wanted... this is what it is all about... enjoy the moment
"If the sheep falls out, you can always get a new sheep."
smidgin +

No, Homer. Very few cartoons are broadcast live. Its a terrible strain on the animators' wrists.

Times thanked
<
this is the nicest thread i've ever read on ITM. lots of good energy or somethin here

ps. good luck!
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by smidgin

this is the nicest thread i've ever read on ITM. lots of good energy or somethin here

ps. good luck!

LOL it is a Friday thread...every one is nice on Friday...would have been a bit different on Monday...lol

Dan, just be Dan...man...act normal cool, like if you did this 100 of times...in fact you did...but it was just in the bedroom...just be cool...take it as it is coming...
www.weeknsoundz.com
CrikeyItsMikey +

Times thanked
<
i hav my first gig nxt week and iv only done mixes on my computer with one of those mixing programmes... lucky im only in the backroom...

im shittin myself, but ye, this thread is helping me... thanx

::))
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

^^^ ANY gig is the time to do that - people get too hung up on the freshest of fresh tracks when you don't need to - so long as the tracks weren't anthems back in their day (and even if they were, you can get away with the odd one here or there, sometimes works wonders to be honest) then you can play tracks which are oodles old! So long as they were well produced tracks then, most will still sound fine now and most people won't even know they're not fresh!

too right, classics can really lift the mood, even if no-one there knows them!

you'll be fine southern dan, if you stuff up try to resist the unconscious urge to let it show on your face...make it look like you meant to do that
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

southern_dan +

Stealing your fleas

Times thanked
<
i might print this out and read it befor i go on
thanks for all the advice guys, ive been using the djm600 and things are going well, i actully love this fucking mixer, i cant wait to play on the 800 tomorrow night.

thanks again!!
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts
this thread has helped me too, i will probably be playing my first gig at the end of this month as well.
im probably just gonna pre plan my set and maybe add/subtract a few tracks depending on the mood. not nervous right now but im sure i'll start shitting myself when its the night before. im opening in a side room and am bringing a lot of mates so hopefully i wont be too nervous on the night.
Matty_neal +

Hamburger Phone User

Times thanked
<
My first gig went well, considering it went for THREE HOURS.
beatsta +

Times thanked
<
don't plan anything
make sure you have a monitor speaker, thats a speaker that is directected at you seperate to the ones the peeps are listening to.TURN IT UP LOUD
Hopefully ya mix at home and use a speaker to align your sound with your headphone ear...
In clubs ya need a monitor speaker loud and directed at your head so then ya just listen with one ear to that and your other ear is covered with a headphone that reduces external noise....ya need a good headphone that blocks out noise in a club

the sound just goes in one ear from the monitor and then matches with the headphone ear creating a kinda stereo effect in your head....

thats how you mix.. and keep it all in time....
doesnt matter what you play....tempo, style etc...
thats how ya play on a pa..
beatsta +

Times thanked
<
learn how to ride the pitch...turntables or cdjs learn to get ya tunes in time by just rideing the pitch control.. once you learn it..its the fastes and most fluid way to mix and you don't have to piss peeps off with the sound of slowing or speeding up a tune in the mix with your hand!! you will never look back...ride the pitch
Dj Whisper +

Bouncing off clouds

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,092 Times in 588 Posts
my first proper gig also coincided with my last ever day of study (fuck it's been 5 years already wow)... so needless to say i had been at the pub since 9am that morning haha.

I think i played at about 11 or 12 so i had about 14 hours of drinking under my belt by the time i got on... it worked a treat, i think it went about as well as a first gig can go... and i still have mates who were there that night that don't believe it as the first time i played in a club.

I had a pretty solid idea of what i was going to play.. and pulled out alot of my favouite pre-rehearsed mixes/live mashes so i had a pretty decent idea about what tunes i was going to be dropping out of what and how i should structure etc so i was pretty much on autopilot which was comforting.

Just try not stress too much about it.. enjoy the moment. You only play your first gig once so you want to be able to look back on it with happy memories.. If you know how to mix and are having a good time then everything will come together. Crowds also respond better to a new DJ who is enjoying himself rather than to someone who is stressing out and throwing tannies!

Last edited by Dj Whisper: 02-Aug-08 at 10:44am

beattun +

Times thanked
<
haha my first gig was a christmas eve party, 6 hour set for a crowd that actually wanted deep house dj, my mate neglecting to tell me this as i bring along 2 record bags full of techno, trance and everything in between

what could i do but go for it, i think one person danced though
Ham and eggs - A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
funkyant +

Music Addict

Times thanked
<
I've been away from these forums for a long time due to the amount of retarded flame-throwing that was going on.

Popped back in randomly today, and I must say that I'm impressed by the general manners and helpfulness of everyone.

Good advice in this thread.

Nice work.
Moving overseas - selling heaps of stuff - check it all out here.http://shop.ebay.com.au/raredjspares...&_trksid=p3686
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
dont forget to use the flanger atleast twice per track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Page 1 of 16

« Previous Thread Next Thread »