Food, Photography and Travel

The South East Asia Thread

Tools
Nardo +

nobody's fault but yours

Times thanked
< 35
im planning to head back to bangkok for the 4th time early next year. it's a bit like going back to the scene of the crime. My wife has been a bit funny about the place ever since the hookers / elephant / photo shoot incident, but i really want her to see it.

my mate who speaks thai will be acting as private tour guide once again which really offers a different perspective. i'll be heading back with about 4-5 new suits and a damaged liver.
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13
I think I've been banned indefinately from travelling to Bangkok alone since I got married.
Beegie +

O Fenmeno

Times thanked
< 613
^^ why? do you have a penchant for chicks with dicks?
Muscat admitted after the grand final loss to Sydney FC last month that he would be haunted for some time for sending his spot kick into the post, a miss which helped Sydney claim the championship.
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13
I don't think so
MissKylie +

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beegie

We'll be heading back to Cambo in the new year, bless Kylie and her credit card points :blush:

First Russia though

orly? i think we are going back in november/december.. you can have another cambo bdiddy.

and yes, i am very excellent at earning credit card points
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
nov/dec this year?

(◕.◕u)
bricktop712 +

-------------------ڜ

Times thanked
< 8
More and more I'm tempted to do SE Asia, which seems like the best bet over the xmas period, weatherwise at least. Bangkok $1186 return with Qantas isn't great but $20 massages and cheap beer sure is.
Flickr :: 500px
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
I be in Thailand for two weeks in November...1st timer...can't wait...

Looking forward for cheap drinks...massages...scenary...water...muay thai...food...

weather be alright during November?
[Put Signature Here]
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricktop712

More and more I'm tempted to do SE Asia, which seems like the best bet over the xmas period, weatherwise at least. Bangkok $1186 return with Qantas isn't great but $20 massages and cheap beer sure is.

check out airasia flights - you can go from melb>kuala lumpur> bangkok/chiang mai/phuket etc for ~$800 return. if that.
(◕.◕u)
TrashTown07 +

Times thanked
< 0
I am arriving in Singapore on October 1.
I was hoping to be in the Perhentian Islands about a week later.

Has anyone been to the East Coast of Malaysia in early October? From what I have read the monsoon starts late October so was hoping it would be ok for a week or so
Bracko +

tOuCh.iT

Times thanked
< 2,039

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricktop712

i paid less than that with emirates.

search around, surely you can get better than that at the moment with quality airlines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

well done sofu, perhaps your most offensive post yet!

Jerry +

Disciple of Jebus

Times thanked
< 32
I just returned from Thailand again and had a great time, however this time there were a few scams going on from backpackers:

Watch out for backpackers who promote certain companies and hotels in Phuket and Samui on the street, they come up to you and say that tourism is down and give you a scratchie. They say the government is helping promote the island and you can win these prizes that are on the back of the scratchie card. The major prize is either cash, a videorecorder,, camera, cruise, holiday etc. It is rigged so that you generally always get the 3 stars that make you elligible to win a major prize, they then say that 2 of them are gone so it just leaves a couple major prizes left making it sound more legit. They then take you to an office which is for a time share type company that wants you to pay $20K for some shonky deal, they say listen to our presentation and you get your prize... But the prize is always the free holiday which is 1 week for free while you pay US$450 for the 2nd week, however you have to do the 2 weeks.

They got me and my g/f on the 1st morning at about 11am in Phuket while we were hung over and it was raining. We thought it was a scam but had nothing else to do because of the rain so went to get our prize thinking 20,000baht, but it was bullshit, they let us go pretty easily because they saw that we were not the type to spend $20K... Later that day when we saw them doing it to someone else my g/f started making don't do it signs to the person they were talking to and they came over and tod us to farken drown ourselves in the sea!

Wankers! We were glad to get out of Phuket but it also happens in Samui too (saw them operating and actually met a girl who worked for them) so it is just not that island. We also met this older massive looking English guy who they did it too and they held him in there for ages sending Manager after Manager in telling him they can't believe he is not taking this time share type deal up, so shonky and they wern't afraid of him firing up and nearly getting physical. Read the book Welcome to Hell about this English guy who gets conned in Thailand and ends up in the Bangkok Hilton for 12 years and you see how you have these dodgy businesses there...

Last edited by Jerry: 19-Jun-09 at 07:46pm

M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
sounds shite!

stupid scams!!

so heres a question,...and i know its not really south east asia, but has anyone got a recommendation on a beachy islandy thing in Malaysia? M & I have 4 nights in Malaysia on our way to Chiang Mai & i dont want to spend it all in KL.
(◕.◕u)
sketchell +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1
I'd like to know that too.
.music.
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
ive been looking at Crab Island (aka Pulau Ketam) for a seafood feasting time but its not really a tropical island paradise.

Sketchell - you should check out firefly airways - they have cheap flights to some of the islands
(◕.◕u)
sketchell +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1
Thanks for the tip! I'm taking off to wander around SE Asia for 4 or 5 months in a week, so now is probably the time to start checking out options.
.music.
TrashTown07 +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_adz

so heres a question,...and i know its not really south east asia, but has anyone got a recommendation on a beachy islandy thing in Malaysia? M & I have 4 nights in Malaysia on our way to Chiang Mai & i dont want to spend it all in KL.

How is Malaysia not South East Asia?

Anyway I would recommend Tioman or the Perhentian Islands on the east coast (Tioman is probably the easiest to get to from KL).

Redang is also supposed to be nice - though more resorts than backpackers
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
well according to guide books its not part of South East Asia but i thinky it is
(◕.◕u)
gorecki +

funeral in disguise

Times thanked
< 0
will be in SE Asia during this period, would be great to meet a few ITM-ers when there!
i leave in 5 wks!
sketchell +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1
Cheers Trashtown! Tioman looks amazing! So in love with the idea of sunny beaches right now.

Where are you heading Gorecki?

M_adz I'll definitely come say hi when I get back to Chiang Mai (am doing Thai quickly with a mate for a month then heading over to do a month each in Laos, Bodia and Nam by myself before jumping back over to Thailand and Myanmar. What are you doing volunteerwise there?
.music.
gorecki +

funeral in disguise

Times thanked
< 0
i could use a sunny beach right now!
i should be in singapore for most of the time, & hoping to travel around the region whilst i'm there.
anyone passing through, do hit me up!
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
that would be cool to catch up in Chiang Mai! chug a beer and eat some market foods in the heat oh yeh

we're volunterring with www.thaifreedomhouse.org doing art & education stuff with refugees and hill tribe families from the area good stuff!
(◕.◕u)
scottwalker +

Auditree

Times thanked
< 88
Im off to do Singapore, Tioman, Bangkok, Jakarta and Bandung for 4 weeks soon - woohoo
http://club-DJ.com.au/djscottwalker.html
soundcloud mixes
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
does anyone know how long it will take to get a visa for Thailand. We're leaving at the end of July and have to sort the 60 day visa STAT (lol). and ive heard its free too - anyone know if this is fact?
(◕.◕u)
sketchell +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1
It took me (in Sydney) four business days to get one. Just needed to leave your passport, take in a passport photo and a completed application. The fee was waived. If you're lucky it still might be free! (It was waived in Feb for 3 months, but I remember they were going to extend it further.)

Not sure what part of the world you're in at the moment, but I think it's a pretty quick and painless process regardless. Any other questions just ask!

2 sleeps til Phuket!
.music.
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
awesome! im in sydney so i'll rock up later this week and do it - just one question - am i able to do it for myself and my partner or do both of us have to show up??

woohoo on phuket!!! bring on the heat!
(◕.◕u)
gorecki +

funeral in disguise

Times thanked
< 0
madz/mickstah i think it's really awesome what you guys are doing for thaifreedomhouse.
i've been meaning to do something like that myself.
i'll have time on my hands whilst in asia, so will try catch up with yous when there.
keep us posted on how you're doing!
sketchell +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1
Good question. You can give them a call and check on 9241 2542. It's not a bad idea to call as the office is also closed during Thai holidays, of which there seem to be an awful lot.

Also, you can only drop in your applications between 9.30am and 12.30 pm and you can only pick them up between 2.00 to 3.00pm. You'll also need the exact fee as I don't think they give change.

Excitement.is.building
.music.
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,398

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorecki

madz/mickstah i think it's really awesome what you guys are doing for thaifreedomhouse.
i'll have time on my hands whilst in asia, so will try catch up with yous when there.

Good stuff!

We plan to still be online posting on inthemix, and also writing a blog detailing our adventures. We'll be sure to link it once that's up and running
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
Anyone doing or has done Muay Thai (kickboxing) training camp in Thailand?

Mate and her bf and co. is doing it in August and half of them doing as beginners...sounds cheap and fun and challenging...

I'm planning to do it in November...
[Put Signature Here]
Duvdev +

Pat

Times thanked
< 0
how long does it go for Trackmasta?

I'll be in SE Asia for 3 months from october 5th.
Pat
Patopeaking +

iPato v3.03

Times thanked
< 4
i will be taking the family to Malaysia and Bali for 2 weeks in October..

not doing any trekking with the kids lol
Resident Advisor Pics

http://www.consumeraware.com.au Consumers Review, Businesses Respond.
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorecki

definitely!
(◕.◕u)
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duvdev

how long does it go for Trackmasta?

I'll be in SE Asia for 3 months from october 5th.

As short or as long as you want...I'm thinking 5 days...my mates booked into 3weeks! Having said that...you get your own apartment...option to do morning or afternoon or both sessions or their bf's can do the 3weeks and the girls can do 1 week and the rest just pay for the accommodation...she was saying it was very easy to do what you want to do and that one of her mates recommended it as they did it before...i haven't had the time to get the website/info/details from her but will post it next week when i get the chance to get it.
[Put Signature Here]
Duvdev +

Pat

Times thanked
< 0
that would be great, thanks dude!
Pat
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
As requested...

Mate suggested this for a muay thai training camp:

www.phuketmuaythai.com

I haven't had time to thoroughly look at the website but I trust my mate's judgement hehe
[Put Signature Here]
Duvdev +

Pat

Times thanked
< 0
awesome, thanks for that! Prices are quite good!
Pat
Duvdev +

Pat

Times thanked
< 0
just wondering... do you think Malaria tablets are necessary at this camp being that it is in the mountains? My brother is avoiding taking anything so will avoid mosquito areas but we are both really keen to do this camp.
Pat
krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 102

Quote:

just wondering... do you think Malaria tablets are necessary at this camp being that it is in the mountains? My brother is avoiding taking anything so will avoid mosquito areas but we are both really keen to do this camp.

There are lots of mosquitoes.

k_x oxo
There is no love sincerer than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish writer.

Check out my blog
www.idevour.wordpress.com
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
malaria tablets can make you quite sick and some peeps state that using a good aeroguard (a locally bought one) is just as effective. the tablets are also quite expensive.

depends on if you think you need them.

do some googling and see what you think mick and i aren't taking them and we will be over there for at least 6 months up north and also going into laos.
(◕.◕u)
Duvdev +

Pat

Times thanked
< 0
ive looked into it already and will probably take doxycycline. It's pretty cheap. The other one is too expensive.

I am allergic to aeroguard so I will have to use a natural repellant.

My brother isnt taking anything because he has serious side effects from taking something when he went to Borneo.
Pat
krafty_x +

Beelzebub's intercessor

Times thanked
< 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_adz

malaria tablets can make you quite sick and some peeps state that using a good aeroguard (a locally bought one) is just as effective. the tablets are also quite expensive.

depends on if you think you need them.

do some googling and see what you think mick and i aren't taking them and we will be over there for at least 6 months up north and also going into laos.

Locally bought insect repellant means nada. It's got to be tropical strength and the ingredients must have DEET on the label. These are obtainable here or OS. Still, DEET doesn't kill malaria. Just hopefully stops you getting bitten.

Doxy's are the most commonly taken antimalarial and least likely to have side effects. Sun sensitivity is one. Weird dreams are another. Personally I didn't get either. Doxy's are an antibiotic but seeing as you're a man you won't need to worry about pill ineffectiveness caution and whatnot. The annoying thing about them is you have to take them for a couple of weeks before and after being exposed which for a short time might not seem worth it. I think we got enough for 5 weeks for about $11 from the travel doctor on George Street.

k_x oxo
There is no love sincerer than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish writer.

Check out my blog
www.idevour.wordpress.com
Duvdev +

Pat

Times thanked
< 0
my cousin goes to SE Asia all the time and buys his doxy from chemists in Bangkok.

Didnt realise they are that cheap in Aus.... must be a heap cheaper over there!

He also recommended taking the doxy with dinner so the sun thing isnt so much an issue.
Pat
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

my cousin goes to SE Asia all the time and buys his doxy from chemists in Bangkok.

Didnt realise they are that cheap in Aus.... must be a heap cheaper over there!

He also recommended taking the doxy with dinner so the sun thing isnt so much an issue.

Most medication in SE Asia is dirt cheap compared to Australia and Doxycycline is in plentiful supply in Bangkok because it's also used to treat some STD's

You should always take Doxycycline after a decent meal as it has a tendency to give you an upset stomach and the feeling you want to vomit if you take it on an empty stomach.

Bear in mind if you take it for extended periods, you may become permantly light sensitive and never tan. It doesn't happen with all people but it is a possibility.

Last edited by TurntableTech: 07-Jul-09 at 04:10pm

Duvdev +

Pat

Times thanked
< 0
shit really? is 3 months considered a long period?
Pat
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

shit really? is 3 months considered a long period?

Cautions and side effects

Cautions and side effects are similar to other members of the tetracycline antibiotic group. However the 10% risk of photosensitivity skin reactions is of particular importance for those intending long-term use for malaria prophylaxis because it can cause permanent sensitive and thin skin.
Reports of GERD have been cited with the use of doxycycline.
Unlike some other members of the tetracycline group, it may be used in those with renal impairment.
Previously, it was believed that doxycycline impairs the effectiveness of many types of hormonal contraception due to CYP450 induction. Recent research has shown no significant loss of effectiveness in oral contraceptives while using most tetracycline antibiotic (including doxycycline), although many physicians still recommend the use of barrier contraception for people taking the drug to prevent unwanted pregnancy.[16][17][18]
It should be taken with a full glass of water and patients should be upright for at least 30 minutes after administration to prevent irritation of the esophagus and stomach. Also, there is a slim risk of liver damage during prolonged use of the drug.[19] It is also recommended that it be taken with a small meal of a non-dairy nature if upset stomach, nausea, or fatigue occurs.
Doxycycline is not approved for use in children under the age of 8 years for two reasons: 1) it can cause permanent yellowing or graying of the teeth, and 2), according to CDC patient information on doxycycline, it can inhibit bone growth in premature infants during the time the medication is taken; this last effect disappears when the doxycycline treatment is over. Specific exceptions are made for potentially fatal illnesses where the benefits outweigh the risks and there are few or no other alternatives, such as with Rocky Mountain spotted fever and anthrax. It should also not be used in pregnant and nursing women, as the drug can cause damage to a fetus and nursing child.
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13
You should also read what the WHO say about the drug resistance of Malaria in SE Asia.

http://www.who.int/drugresistance/malaria/en/index.html

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/.../en/index.html

Just eat lots of garlic, ginger and asparagus. They won't come near you.
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
Np Duvdev...don't know about the mosquitos but will find out about that camp location

^^^garlic also serves up as a chick-repellant hehe
[Put Signature Here]
beschul +

Times thanked
< 0
Hi everyone!
Im going to thailand late jan next year for the full moon party with a few friends.
Pretty excited this is my first overseas trip without the family haha
One of my mates recommended ko tao? has anyone been there?
At the moment im just doing koh phangan, koh samui and bangkok to shop for a few days! woo excited
any tips would be great
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
this is a decent run down on anti-malarials
http://www.travelfish.org/feature/95
(◕.◕u)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »