Food, Photography and Travel

The South East Asia Thread

Tools
DJ Squiggle +

intolerance will not be tolerated

Times thanked
< 4
Oh and in Bangkok catch the regular commuter riverboat! Costs abotu 20c. Get off at a random stop. Just remember they stop running at nightfall. There are also boats along some of the "Khlongs" (ie canals).

Interesting hearing about the Chiang Mai clubs. Six years ago I looked and couldn't find anywhere worth trying to get a gig at (as a DJ). There used to be a truly underground "punk" club called Chaos City where electronic music got a run sometimes but that is probably gone now.
SirDrBenny +

Times thanked
< 108
because of all that protesting/rioting/civilian culling we decided to bypass bangkok when we were booking some flights.

have no idea on what the situation is like there now - can anyone shed any light? gov website says theres still "tension" in thailand overall, but nothing specific about Bangkok.

despite the fact i'll be over there for my 25th, i'll be going with my gf and celebrating 5 yrs together, so i'm thinking brothel-hopping probably won't be the best of ideas

thanks heaps for the tips on Chang Mai becy much appreciated

unfortunately our timing didn't work out and we won't be there for a full moon party, but considering getting to a half or black moon one - are they worth it? can anyone recommend a place to stay on koh phangan?
M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
The "tension" in Bangkok was a bad sich, but afaik its all calmed down. a couple of car-bombs here and there in the south, but that happens all the time, before the red shirts thing earlier this year. The media likes to beat up whats going on and claim that even Chiang Mai is a centre of unrest which is a load of rubbish. Don't worry about it too much and just come and have some fun.

Re: Chiang Mai - there are really only handful of "club" places, but plenty of bars that play thai music, have live bands (seems to be the thing in these parts) or play your usual pop-music.

The backpacker "soi" area is a bunch of small bars with loud music of varying types blaring out of it. Its good for buckets and a laugh, but no dancing really goes on. Its a mix of thai and tourists so its pretty cool - in the centre of the old city. The Nimmanhemin area is a bit more up market / more uni students and young professionals - though drinks are still cheap. cool little restaurant-cum-cafe-cum-bar places. The other area thats cool is JJ Market which is a little out of the main area but its probably 98% locals, cheap drinks, thai music but lots of fun. probably about 30 or so different little bars and vans selling booze.

Re: full moon/half moon/black moon party...my only word of advice is to be very careful and keep a very close eye on your girlfriend. I've heard a lot of bad stories lately about druggings, rapes, muggings etc happening down there. They are supposed to be good fun but yeh, just be sensible apparently the half moon/black moon parties are just as good as the full moon one.
(◕.◕u)
DJ Squiggle +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrBenny View Post

considering getting to a half or black moon one - are they worth it? can anyone recommend a place to stay on koh phangan?

Black moon is exclusively Psy Trance with black light decor. In the past (5 years ago) the mjority of people are not trance fans and probably at their first outdoor party so don't expect the same vibe as an Aussie bush doof. But it is on a tropical beach and easy to get to and not gonna be raided by cops. It isn't free anymore (probably about $10).

Regarding accomodation you need to state how long you are there for and what you are there for before anyone can give you meaning ful advice. There is quite some variety on the island.
becy +

is the rarity you find only when everything is correct

Times thanked
< 1,458
The money goes straight to the govt I believe?
This is ITM
Home of the NSFW Nazis

Discuss snackfoods, bitch about the DJ Top100 Poll, or make mildly embarassing, banal admissions about your personal life.
WE'RE IN BEIGE COUNTRY NOW.
DJ Squiggle +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by becy View Post

The money goes straight to the govt I believe?

ie corrupt police?
I know there are some new govt laws re parties on the island
and perhaps this is now referred to as some kind of "tax"
but they were charging before the law.
They always had to pay the police (even for free parties).
Somtimes I wish we had that option here since it might be
much easier than the red tape.
But I should be careful what I wish for I spoze.
phelon +

Times thanked
< 422

Quote:

Any recommendations on where to stay/places to see/things to do??

Spicy and Tunnel in BKK
ITM EPL Predictions Champion 2012/13, 2013/14
mikewebster +

Professionally LDN'd

Times thanked
< 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Squiggle View Post

ie corrupt police?
I know there are some new govt laws re parties on the island
and perhaps this is now referred to as some kind of "tax"
but they were charging before the law.
They always had to pay the police (even for free parties).
Somtimes I wish we had that option here since it might be
much easier than the red tape.
But I should be careful what I wish for I spoze.

The Full Moon Party was only 100 Baht each (about $3AU) and that goes towards helping pay for the cleanup and facilities. I doubt the Black Moon would be as expensive as $10AU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

Heyyyy, it's fucking Mike Webster

M_adz +

breadcat

Times thanked
< 22
afaik the parties are essentially govt run - so all the ticket money for the Full Moon Parties is just a bonus for the govt. But i guess when you consider the amount of garbage they have to clean up after these parties, its probably a good thing the money goes to them.

an interesting read on the full moon parties.>>>http://www.tomvater.com/thailand/now...bucket-people/
(◕.◕u)
TurntableTech +

World Citizen

Times thanked
< 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by phelon View Post

Spicy and Tunnel in BKK

SirDrBenny +

Times thanked
< 108
thanks for the advice m_adz, much appreciated

Quote:

Black moon is exclusively Psy Trance with black light decor. In the past (5 years ago) the mjority of people are not trance fans and probably at their first outdoor party so don't expect the same vibe as an Aussie bush doof. But it is on a tropical beach and easy to get to and not gonna be raided by cops. It isn't free anymore (probably about $10).

Regarding accomodation you need to state how long you are there for and what you are there for before anyone can give you meaning ful advice. There is quite some variety on the island.

i think we're only going to be able to make the half moon party on the 15th sept. prob stay on the island for 3 nights, arriving the night before it. would prefer to book accomodation now for koh phangan but on a mates advice am going to book just the first night accom everywhere else we're going and suss it out from there.
DJ Squiggle +

Times thanked
< 4
Koh Phangan Parties

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_adz View Post

afaik the parties are essentially govt run - so all the ticket money for the Full Moon Parties is just a bonus for the govt. But i guess when you consider the amount of garbage they have to clean up after these parties, its probably a good thing the money goes to them.

No, not govt run.
http://kohphangannews.org/modules.ph...rticle&sid=248.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikewebster View Post

The Full Moon Party was only 100 Baht each (about $3AU) and that goes towards helping pay for the cleanup and facilities. I doubt the Black Moon would be as expensive as $10AU

Yes, In 2008 a 100 Bhat fee was introduced ($3.40).
I played at the first party that began charging: ie Black Moon on Ban Kai beach year 2000. It was 200 Bhat then.
Black Moon is now 300 Bhat ($10.20).
"They get Bt300 per ticket, and the corrupt authorities get a Bt100 cut to turn a blind eye to the problem."
http://kohphangannews.org/modules.ph...rticle&sid=217

Quote:

Originally Posted by M_adz View Post

an interesting read on the full moon parties.>>>http://www.tomvater.com/thailand/now...bucket-people/

His article is very accurate (and of course he is a great writer too). I know Tom and bought his book Beyond The Pancake Trench which I highly recommend. He relies on book purchases to survive so consider ordering yourself a copy.

If you want quality rather than large crowds go to Koh Tao. Quality of DJ's is much better and many of the venues have stylish architecture and tasteful decor that does not rely on flouro painted string and coconuts. They still are not anything like raves or bush doofs since it is basically a tourist thing rather than a music thing.

Last edited by DJ Squiggle: 05-Aug-10 at 07:53pm

DJ Squiggle +

Times thanked
< 4
Koh Phangan Parties

Quote:

i think we're only going to be able to make the half moon party on the 15th sept. prob stay on the island for 3 nights, arriving the night before it.

Why bother if only there three nights? The Aussie parties are much better.
Besides, the half moon party might get shut down
http://kohphangannews.org/modules.ph...rticle&sid=216
and it is disrespectful too
http://kohphangannews.org/modules.ph...rticle&sid=254
My mate who runs the site got shot (presumably because of his lobbying)
and recently left the island after 12 years of living in Ban Tai village.
PLUR my ass... or his ass actually (that is where they got him... "luckily")
SirDrBenny +

Times thanked
< 108

Quote:

Why bother if only there three nights? The Aussie parties are much better.
Besides, the half moon party might get shut down
http://kohphangannews.org/modules.ph...rticle&sid=216
and it is disrespectful too
http://kohphangannews.org/modules.ph...rticle&sid=254
My mate who runs the site got shot (presumably because of his lobbying)
and recently left the island after 12 years of living in Ban Tai village.
PLUR my ass... or his ass actually (that is where they got him... "luckily")

... because it'll be part of my 3 week holiday in thailand. and considering i'm intending to go to this -( www.manifestqld.com )- 3 days after we get back, doesn't really bother me if it ends up being lame, just want to go to say i've been really.

those links you posted are pretty old - first one 2 & 1/2 years - but it sounds like they were pissing off the locals greatly. This all calmed down now??
First Strike +

Times thanked
< 0
Black moon party defiantly 300B
kance +

Times thanked
< 13
went to a full moon party a few months ago, we stayed on the island and rode scooters to the party beach, we got there early and didn't have to pay anything....was good fun.
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,059
whoop whoop, had enough coin to get over there so booked last minute, my passport arrived today and i fly to KL on monday

so far ive only booked the flight to KL and the return ok october 2nd. what to do... what to do

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,317
Come up to CM and visit us!!!
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

DJ Squiggle +

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah View Post

Come up to CM and visit us!!!

There was a Scottish producer with a studio doing interesting stuff in Chiang Mai with locals. Is he still there? Any good local DJ's with mixes online? I was friends with one DJ Bastard - I expect him to be highly skilled now if he is still at it.
JaseN +

Times thanked
< 0
For those who are gonna be in Ho Chi Minh Vietnam during 2nd September, you guys might wanna check out FREE THE ROBOTS live..

http://www.thebeats-saigon.com/?p=673
ForeignDub'
www.foreigndub.com
www.myspace.com/foreigndub
www.myspace.com/foreigndubJase
----------------------------------------
DnBBQ @ Abercrombie Hotel
28th October
sirensounds +

Times thanked
< 1
I'm looking for accommodation in Luang Prabang, Vientiane and Phnom Penh. Can anyone recommend me a good guest house/hostel in these places.

Thanks!
pops786 +

Incontinent Person

Times thanked
< 1
As far as Phnom Penh, this place http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001614618397 used to be a school that I lived and worked in.

Really nice place, owner is a lovely lady and in a perfect spot away from the Lakeside and Riverside (which are both pretty shit and loaded with lady bars), near the independence monument and close to massive markets (forget name) for those who have been to PP. Great local feel in the alleys surrounding.

Not sure your budget but may be a bit pricey, but worth it to get a better view of the city imo.
beyondandabove +

Times thanked
< 37
G'day everyone. I'm going to Thailand in the 2nd week of Jan this year and I was wondering if I could get some advice on Phi Phi Island and Koh Samui. Is it worth visiting both? I could do both half-arsed or go with one and really make the most of it. What are your thoughts? Or am I wasting my time with both of these, should I go somewhere else? Thanks
DJ-MUNCHKIN +

= Affinity With Bass=

Times thanked
< 1
I would suggest Phi Phi over Samui and Koh Tao over both
... like a fox!
mikewebster +

Professionally LDN'd

Times thanked
< 157
I'm with the above.

Koh Tao/Koh Phangan over Samui for sure.

I'm going to be in Koh Phangan til the 3rd, then 4 nights on Koh Tao, then down to Koh Lanta then Phi Phi

Quote:

rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,059
koh lipeh ftw

Quote:

HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
< 51
Hi people,

Trip to Thailand is just over a week away so I'm back for some more detailed advice:

Chiang Mai:

Any particular cooking class (day long) that stands out as the best? It all seems to be around the same price so if there's any preference please let me know

Elephant farms - stand out so far is Patara Elephant Farms but I can't find a price for them.

Trekking - 2-3 day survival trekking with Pooh Eco Trecking, eat the food you've caught/picked yourselves, build shelters etc.

Rafting?? Worth it?

As for places to sleep, Beccy recommended CM Blue House, just having a look on hostel world now for others.

Part 2
My other half has recently broken his ankle and can't come on the 2-3 day trek (he's on crutches with a cast from foot to knee), any suggestions as to what he can enjoy for a couple of days? Do you think he'd be able to ride elephants??

Part 3
Who's keen for a beer in CM from the 17th- 24th of December ???
rancho: 1/5th of marshy's likes from his 15,000+ are from his 'i'm leaving' post

UMGAWA: $200 says he renegs on leaving.
HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
< 51

Quote:

I'm going to be in Koh Phangan til the 3rd

NYE Full Moon party too??
rancho: 1/5th of marshy's likes from his 15,000+ are from his 'i'm leaving' post

Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,317
Hi Harvey!

Great to hear you'll be visiting this fine city! I can put you in touch with a wonder woman who will be able to give you all the best advice on your questions and book everything in for you when you arrive here if you like? One thing I do advise though is to attend the Elephant Nature Park as they do not ride the elephants and you learn quite a lot about them, including what other mahouts do to the elephants during training. It is a pretty incredible day.

CM Blue is good, central location inside the moat. Where did you want to stay in terms of location? Inside the moat? Down near the river? Closer to the uni on Nimmanhaemin? Ultimately it doesn't matter where you stay too much as it is a very easy city to get around and there are many nice guesthouses.

And we know plenty of great places for beers
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

mikewebster +

Professionally LDN'd

Times thanked
< 157

Quote:

Originally Posted by HARV3Y View Post

NYE Full Moon party too??

Yep! Had so much fun last year!

ITM meetup? lol

Quote:

Tang_ +

Turbo bogan

Times thanked
< 1,784
where abouts are you staying for it MW??
mikewebster +

Professionally LDN'd

Times thanked
< 157
In Haad Rin

3rd FMP, 1st time staying in the middle of it

Eeek! Leaving tomorrow!

Quote:

HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
< 51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah View Post

Hi Harvey!

Great to hear you'll be visiting this fine city! I can put you in touch with a wonder woman who will be able to give you all the best advice on your questions and book everything in for you when you arrive here if you like? One thing I do advise though is to attend the Elephant Nature Park as they do not ride the elephants and you learn quite a lot about them, including what other mahouts do to the elephants during training. It is a pretty incredible day.

CM Blue is good, central location inside the moat. Where did you want to stay in terms of location? Inside the moat? Down near the river? Closer to the uni on Nimmanhaemin? Ultimately it doesn't matter where you stay too much as it is a very easy city to get around and there are many nice guesthouses.

And we know plenty of great places for beers

You will have to show us your favourite watering holes then!

Is this lady a friend of yours/someone you've used before? If so, would love if you could put me in touch with her.

Q. Is riding elephants considered abuse of some sort? It never even crossed my mind until you mentioned there are places that don't ride them

Didn't have any real idea about where to stay, CM Blue wrote back saying we could only have the THB500/night (best room available) for 4 nights and then would have to move to the 'super deluxe' THB600/night (which isn't listed on their website - conveniently ) for the remaining 3 nights. fake edit: just realised an extra THB300 is about $10 hahaha, carry on!

Thanks for the tips Starting to get excited, can't wait to get this exam over and done with and jump on the plane!

HARV3Y +

O_o <3 d-_-b

Times thanked
< 51

Quote:

Yep! Had so much fun last year!

ITM meetup? lol

+1 on the meetup!!

When do you get in to your accommodation? We can't find anything online for the entire island We arrive on the 28th and are hoping to grab a scooter and ride till we find somewhere to stay.... does that sound like a bad plan???

mikewebster +

Professionally LDN'd

Times thanked
< 157
There from Boxing Day.

We booked a few months ago and found somewhere good, but had a minimum nights stay of 8. Which I don't care about, cos I love the place!

Quote:

flatty88 +

Times thanked
< 1,155
Anyone have any accommodation recommendations for the full moon party on Koh Phangan? Any other hints/tips?

Looking at the website below: http://www.fullmoonpartykohphangan.c...tion/index.htm
Mr Krust +

Times thanked
< 0
Full Moon Parties - just get there 2-3 days before the party and look around. Heaps of accomodation in had rin, right where the party is and heaps around the places further away from the party. Even the day before, you will find something.
I stayed at a place called Had Rin Hill - 800 baht for a air con bungalow that slept 3 people - 400 with no air con. Was about 100m before the end of the main street running along the beach, awesome spot about 200m to the beach, but not noisy.
Do not book online, you will be paying a huge premium.
A certain adhd medication can be bought from the pharmacies in had rin too:-)
Kellyboop +

Lettuce be cereal here, guys.

Times thanked
< 2,735
Doing Vietnam in November.

Few days in HCMC and the rest of the time on Phu Quoc Island. Going purely for a South Easy Asia beachy vacation.

Any recommendations on when to book flights and hotels? Also, where are some good places to stay in HCMC and Phu Quoc? Mid-range price, somewhere nice.

Also any tips on good places to eat (pho is essential) and things to do in both places. I'm pretty happy parking my ass on the beach in Phu Quoc but wouldn't mind a bit of sightseeing in HCMC.
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,059
ill be there in sept/oct, kelly so i'll be sure to give this thread a solid update on my return.

book flights when sales are on! check out scoot and air asia if you're wanting cheapest deals.

im still tossing up whether i will do phu quoc. it does look pretty nice!

Quote:

« Previous Thread Next Thread »