The DJ Booth

gettin started. putin music on cd's for mixing

Tools
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
Hey ive just finished a dj course and was able to use the CDJ's there and get sum practise but anyway im buyin gear this week (CDJ) and i want to know how i should start a cd folder for all the cds illl be using when i dj.
for example say i have 1000 electro songs on my computer..should i just put a few songs onto cds to mix and practise with in my bedroom and only put the songs i need onto cds when i get a gig, OR should i just start putting all my songs onto cds ?
what would be the best way to do this.
thanks.
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<
Electro songs? Easy! There's already a specified Windows directory for them. It's called Recycle Bin.
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
yeah great help so far mate
Teknikall +

Times thanked
<
burn your fave tracks first, mix them up a few times, then burn em all and create some sets. dont mix your fave tracks over and over, you'll soon get sick of hearing them and will never enjoy them as much there after

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
ok, this is how the pro's do it.

you need to make one folder called HD

inside the HD folder, make 25 sub-folders

name these folders HD1,HD2,etc all the way up to HD25

open the HD25 folder. this is where you should put your music.
hoppuspears +

Times thanked
<
Hey

Personally id go to the effort first (wish i did) and delete every crap song u dont like.

Or at least make a new folder called Dj songs put only the songs you want to play in there.

Go into Itunes (i made a new account on windows called dj so it was a fresh itunes with nothing else except my dj stuff)

Put all the songs in and then make playlists

cd1
cd2
ect..

Then burn..

When u get new songs make folders in your dj music folder called.... August 2008 with the new songs and add them into itunes go to recently added make more playlist eg. cd51 and burn again

Thats what i do
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
yeah thanks heaps so far . more ideas would be appreciated.

and i dont really get that HD 25 folder thing..wats the otha 24 folders for .. ?
hoojee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdoofus

Electro songs? Easy! There's already a specified Windows directory for them. It's called Recycle Bin.

lol best reply hahahahaha gonna put it in my sig

anyways.. to answer your question, if ur fussy like me, for a collection like that, i sort them into folders only 2 to 4 tracks per cd sorted in simliarity for me, in same key and burn them.. but for electro i guess it doesnt matter about harmonics..

or tracks i get off beatport.. just buy the release and burn the whole release.. effectively, its like a vinyl release where u only have a one followed by a couple of remixes per cd and LABEL them
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

I do something similar but with DXM, e.g. DXM-06, DXM-09 etc.
tony d +

The Knights who say ‘Ni’

Times thanked
<
I just have all the genres foldered

deep tech house 001, 002,003
deep house 001 , 002, 003
Deep US House 001, 002, 003

about 9 - 10 tracks per folder

do up a colour coded label for each genre with the tracks printed on it and the date it was burned. Burn two copies of each folder to cds, then back them all up to an external hard drive
http://www.soulshine.org
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<
But seriously! I do what hoppuspears mentioned. I make a new playlist in iTunes called Disc #1, then put 8-10 songs in there arranged from most likely to play through to least likely. Burn two copies of the disc (so you can mix from one to the other if you need to). Write #1 on the disc.

Repeat
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
code the CD's and the folders the same (AA01, AA02... etc...) buy a CD wallet and stickers.

put the code on the CD and assign it a spot in the CD wallet, use the stickers to put on the CD wallet and write that CD serial number on the spot in the wallet where it goes.

if you lose one, you know exactly the tracks that were on it. it it gets scratched beyond repair, throw it out and re-burn.
step on my cubes.
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
alrite thanks for that mcdoofus. i know its probs a bad thing to put say 15-20 songs on each cd but that wud make less cds in my portable cd folder.. ?
troids_master +

Times thanked
<
ive changed my mind on how to do this many times... ive got mp3 functionality as most new cdj's should so i wanted to save money on cd's by making mp3 discs with about 30 songs on each one. i also grouped them into styles/genres to keep likely songs i would play in a set together eg a disc for breaks, electro house, fidget, tech funk and the list goes on. works pretty well for me and i also printed off a page for each disc with song lists etc in case im having trouble finding a track
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<
cosmo - You wont fit more than 10-12 regular songs on a CD, and MP3 discs are a bad idea - some older CDJ models can't play them.. which is bad news if you find that out after you turn up to play your gig.
hoojee +

Times thanked
<
^ someone once said on the forums:

"bringing mp3s to gigs is like just as unorganised as not bringing ur own carts."

and plus mp3 takes so long to load the waveform =[
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
well yeh nearly all my songs are mp3 cos i dont have the money to buy music and ill just have to hope the cdj models play mp3 lol they shud anyway.
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
sooo.. you guys are saying i should mainly use music in gigs that are not downloaded and not mp3?
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmocork

well yeh nearly all my songs are mp3 cos i dont have the money to buy music and ill just have to hope the cdj models play mp3 lol they shud anyway.

If you don't have the money to buy music, you don't have the money to play music. You better start saving...
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<

Quote:

and i dont really get that HD 25 folder thing..wats the otha 24 folders for .. ?

you leave the other 24 folders empty. only put your best tunes in the HD25 folder
hoojee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

sooo.. you guys are saying i should mainly use music in gigs that are not downloaded and not mp3?

burn them as audio cds and u should be using mp3 of AT LEAST 320k bitrate or even better WAVes.. else they lack the sound quality in bigger systems...
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

well yeh nearly all my songs are mp3 cos i dont have the money to buy music

Get a job paying $15/hr, work 8 hours, earn $120, quit job, buy 50 tracks and a six pack of beer, DJ like a man.
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
haha sounds good
hoojee +

Times thanked
<
^^

or even better.....

centerlink
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,415 Times in 7,540 Posts

Quote:

yeah I've got that one

i know the first three numbers
b_bop +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

What the hell did they teach you at this course? Sounds like they skipped straight through to lesson 20 "Bitches, Money and Fame - How to handle them like a pro".
tony d +

The Knights who say ‘Ni’

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I'd get the money back that you paid for your 'DJ Course'
http://www.soulshine.org
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
yeah well no s*it im not gona get a gig probs for a year cos i just started so im sttartin with mp3 then wen i get cash ill buy music for gigs
this is gone off topic .. anymore advice on my original question wud be appreciated.
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<
RWS
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors

yeah I've got that one

b3st e\/rR

Media Player
step on my cubes.
Jack1591 +

Ask an adult for help.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yeah well no s*it im not gona get a gig probs for a year cos i just started so im sttartin with mp3 then wen i get cash ill buy music for gigs
this is gone off topic .. anymore advice on my original question wud be appreciated.

mate, what they're saying is the format that you burn the acutal music in. they are saying burn it in WAV format (what u would for a regular CD player) rather than burning them as an MP3 disc. of course the music on ur comp is MP3. Get ur tunes of beatport mate, they're not expensive and burn as 320+ WAVs.
saad +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
The ignorance of some people is amazing...

My music is sorted in genre folders and genre playlists in itunes. I burn abotu 8 tracks per CD, by Genre, and label the CD "Proggy 5 August" and Burn 2 copies. Then i change the comment field in itunes to say "BURNED" so I know what songs have been burned. For full releases I just burn the whole release.
www.myspace.com/saadhafiz

www.flickr.com/photos/saadme

"You're a Class A **** selling Class C drugs"
jazzyd +

Times thanked
<
Get Torq Connective for 400 bucks and you won't need to burn anything.. You said you where getting gear and I'd assume it would be something like 2 x CDJ 200's and lets say a Numark DXM09 which would cost around $1940.. you could get a single CDJ400 same mixer Torq Connective and an MAudio trigger finger for around the same price. Do some study, hit youtube and the Maudio website.

PS. don't convert MP3 back to WAV as you will lose sound quality. MP3 320 is fine for your average DJ and is used by club DJs everywhere.
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by saad

The ignorance of some people is amazing...

My music is sorted in genre folders and genre playlists in itunes. I burn abotu 8 tracks per CD, by Genre, and label the CD "Proggy 5 August" and Burn 2 copies. Then i change the comment field in itunes to say "BURNED" so I know what songs have been burned. For full releases I just burn the whole release.

This is how you do it.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
JKWITS +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcdoofus

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

I'm just a bedroom dj but I have been burning cd's as I buy music. My collection is getting to the stage now where its needs a major re sort which is gonna take ages to re burn a lot of stuff. I would recommend only burning a 5 or so songs per disk and making duplicates of cd's with songs you play frequently since it sucks when you realise that the song you want to play is on the same cd thats playing at that time.
Teknikall +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer

This is how you do it.

its friday night, and i feel alright

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

so where you getting the music from?
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppuspears

Hey

Personally id go to the effort first (wish i did) and delete every crap song u dont like.

Or at least make a new folder called Dj songs put only the songs you want to play in there.

Go into Itunes (i made a new account on windows called dj so it was a fresh itunes with nothing else except my dj stuff)

Put all the songs in and then make playlists

cd1
cd2
ect..

Then burn..

When u get new songs make folders in your dj music folder called.... August 2008 with the new songs and add them into itunes go to recently added make more playlist eg. cd51 and burn again

Thats what i do

that is exactly what i do. also make sure to tick 'embed song titles' in the burning options of itunes, that way song titles come up on cdjs even though its burnt as an audio cd. also i usually put about 10 tracks on cd. right now i only have one cdj so i have no need to burn twice, but you may have to do that if u are planning on mixing tracks that are on the same cd.
genebourne +

throw me your knickers

Times thanked
<
HAHA!!!

The 'DJ Booth' is now my favourite forum for shits and giggles. Thank you to everyone involved!

"Hot damn.. i've never rode in a convertible before."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,165 Times in 1,295 Posts
i never buy single tracks. only whole releases, so 1 release = 1 CD.
in saying that, i don't have CDJ's.
can we have votes on how soon this guys equipment will be on the buy and sell forum??
i say 3 weeks.
kloseline +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyd

Get Torq Connective for 400 bucks and you won't need to burn anything.. You said you where getting gear and I'd assume it would be something like 2 x CDJ 200's and lets say a Numark DXM09 which would cost around $1940.. you could get a single CDJ400 same mixer Torq Connective and an MAudio trigger finger for around the same price. Do some study, hit youtube and the Maudio website.

PS. don't convert MP3 back to WAV as you will lose sound quality. MP3 320 is fine for your average DJ and is used by club DJs everywhere.

true that, but the amputate mode sucks... its getting weird after some time having the crossfader on the left and right side but always using one deck.... same for the linefader mixer0s. i highly suggest two decks... but yeah dvs for the win!

KLOSELINE - BMidget Mix.mp3 BMore and Fidget 60 min mix
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
i cant find that ''embed song titles' in itunes to make the song title come up on the cdjs.
there is a box that says 'include cd text' is that the one ?
Tha Gooch +

wut wut

Times thanked
<
besides the lag time are there any other reasons why burn music cd's is better than just burning the mp3's to cd?
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<
^ not all cdjs have mp3 support
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Why not just put two songs per cd?

I would recommend putting the A side, with the B side it was released with.

J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
I do as most seem to and import the songs into itunes (make sure it is set to import to 320kbps) then make the playlists i want, i then print the playlist using the itunes print function, i usually try and use a background picture. I then use this picture to make up a cd design with the number and name on it and use white blank cd's to print my own cd labels. you can then easily reference the picture to the cd. if you have copied the tunes from vinyl or itunes or whatever you should have that listed on the heading so you know if its feasible to play on certain soundsystems.

Thats for my bulk of tunes, ive also started taking a smaller cd wallet with single tunes on them with how long it is to the drop and the outro time as i find that having a wallet with so many tunes in it kind of makes your set dart all over the place, its better to have a more narrowed down idea and have the back up of all the others there if you need them.
Salon Kitty - Sound Cloud
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-radical

I do as most seem to and import the songs into itunes (make sure it is set to import to 320kbps)....

It's a crying shame you're going from CD-Quality to Less-Than-CD-Quality to play out, especially given the choice, IMO.
J-radical +

Tinkerbell is well hot

Times thanked
<
how, if its set to import at 320 there should be no difference.
Salon Kitty - Sound Cloud
omnipresence +

hocus pocus by focus

Times thanked
<
Yeah but 320 kbps isn't CD quality. He's saying it's a shame to use mp3s when you have the option of using a lossless format (wav or flac).
Info // Soundcloud // Facebook // Twitter

« Previous Thread Next Thread »