The DJ Booth

gettin started. putin music on cd's for mixing

Tools
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
yeh i know what you mean but im saying like what if your djing at a club.. and ur goin at 126bpm then you accidently put on a track thats 130bpm doesnt it mean you have to stay at that level for the rest of the night unless your able to do something to speed it down..?

like..isnt it good to know the bpms of your tracks if ur gona dj at a club so you can build it up slowly getting faster n faster... ?
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmocork

yeh i know what you mean but im saying like what if your djing at a club.. and ur goin at 126bpm then you accidently put on a track thats 130bpm doesnt it mean you have to stay at that level for the rest of the night unless your able to do something to speed it down..?

For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
LOL i know HOW TO USE the PITCH CONTROL im talking ABOUT what IF YOU dont want to go that fast if your like early in the niGHT

and if a tracks goin at 130bpm and u want to mix in a track thats 126bpm you cant make the 130bpm song slower while its playing know wat i mean you gotta make the 126bpm song faster ?
Ducked +

NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER

Times thanked
<
Cosmo, in all seriousness, I think you just need to slow down a bit.

It's obvious you're enthusiastic and want things to work for you - which is a good thing. You also want all the answers here and now, which is both good and bad. I don't want to get all zen on you, but in life, the you will NEVER get all the answers to anything straight away. It all comes down to time, experience, and practice.

So yeah, what I'm trying to say, is that DJ'ing is like making love to a beautiful woman. First, you have to get them reallll smashed on agwa, which is the equivalent of setting up your equipment. Then you have to convince them you're a pilot and you earn $US220k per year, which is the equivalent of getting gigs. Then you have to forge your STD test papers, which is... ok, this metaphor isn't really helping.

Take some time, and slow down. The answers will come to you. The chances are that, unless you're of the 0.5% of the population that are unnaturally talented and wonderful at anything they try within the first minute of trying it out (how I hate those people), you're not going to be DJ'ing in clubs anytime soon. And it's all an art, not a science. There's no one proper way to do anything. You'll find out your own way to sort music, how to catalogue it, how to use effects properly (HINT: MINIMALLY), what tracks work with what, etc. If you have questions from time to time, ask away, but be respectful and don't expect it all to be handed to you on a platter. And I say this not to be abusive or a smartarse, but from some of your questions, you're wayyyy back at the beginner's end of the learning curve. So take a step back and a breath and start to absorb some knowledge. You'll get there.

Ninja edit: LONG POST IS LOOOONG
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Wow. I'm not one to pile crap on people who might not understand a concept, but I gotta ask, what did they teach you at this DJ course you did?
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
here we go

all i wanted was an answer to my question
GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<
this thread just gets better and better

nice work funkdub, always trust u with some humour

little advice is go away and figure all this out yourself, thats what most of us did, thats what i did, there is really no right or wrong way of doing it .Everyone i know mixes differently to everyone else, its your own personal way, correct me if im wrong. Gather your music collection, if you have one (and no MOS CDs do not count), the way you feel is best accessible for you, once again there is no right or wrong answer.

once again it must of been a bad DJ course if they didnt teach u about the pitch/tempo control.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
what u on about mate i know how to use the pitch control . duno where u pulled that from

what i mean by ( "and ur goin at 126bpm then you accidently put on a track thats 130bpm doesnt it mean you have to stay at that level for the rest of the night unless your able to do something to speed it down..?" ) is that when you match that 126bpm song to the 130bpm song the 126 will turn into 130 and the next song will have to be 130 and so on. and there fore you may have builded up to quick.
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
anyway i think ill just go off and learn everything by myself like they did back in the day

definately not getting any help here no matter how stupid or smart my questions seem to be.
bussyboy +

Sounds fair

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducked

...So yeah, what I'm trying to say, is that DJ'ing is like making love to a beautiful woman. First, you have to get them reallll smashed on agwa, which is the equivalent of setting up your equipment. Then you have to convince them you're a pilot and you earn $US220k per year, which is the equivalent of getting gigs. Then you have to forge your STD test papers, which is...

Gold - should have kept going with that. I was waiting for the ITB analogy
GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<

Quote:

what u on about mate i know how to use the pitch control . duno where u pulled that from

what i mean by ( "and ur goin at 126bpm then you accidently put on a track thats 130bpm doesnt it mean you have to stay at that level for the rest of the night unless your able to do something to speed it down..?" ) is that when you match that 126bpm song to the 130bpm song the 126 will turn into 130 and the next song will have to be 130 and so on. and there fore you may have builded up to quick.

u have so so soooo much to learn my friend,

and u still are being an arrogant prick, u didnt listen to me or Ducked.

maybe DJing is just not for you mate.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

and ur goin at 126bpm then you accidently put on a track thats 130bpm

How?

When you would have already *slowed down* the native 130BPM track *before* mixing it into the 126BPM set....

...because that's what beat mixing is, right?

C'mon, you can't get cranky at us now for this.
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
woah i just noticed how stupid and badly worded that sounds lol sorry guys
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
a set dosnt have to progrecce by speed(bpm) from my understanding you can progress by what i call the intencity of the song. For example starting off with like funky house sort of chilled out stuff. that still could be 128 then through to house electro in the one set and each individual song can jump from 126 ish to like 132ish and just pitch adjust each song. you can have the hole set running at 128 beat per min but have songs ranging from 128 to 132 or some thing like that although i just once i finnish beat matching. slid the pitch adjust to its original pace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

I'm a faggot

cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
hmmm sooo.... if the first song you play is 128bpm... does that mean its going to stay at that level all night cos your always beat matching to that level...
Ducked +

NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER

Times thanked
<

Quote:

hmmm sooo.... if the first song you play is 128bpm... does that mean its going to stay at that level all night cos your always beat matching to that level...

No, you can change the level if you want. Just remember - if your first track is running at 128 bpm, you'll mix the next track in at that speed too... and so on.

If you want to speed things up (which you can do, ever so gradually, through the night if you want) you can nudge the tempo up a little here and there.

But no, you're not "forced" to remain at one BPM - although you'll generally hover around that level anyway.
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
yeh thanks for that i actually learnt that from the dj course to start off with some chill songs then slowly build up with some massive tracks..then go back down for a bit .. then build up again.. haha
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
^^^ Yeah, you're totally excluding the possibility that one can tweak the pitch/BPM subtlety mid-track, thus creeping the BPM up/down in whichever direction you choose throughout the set.

Unless you mix exclusively funky electro prog house that everyone knows only runs at a single BPM anyways.
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
ok i missed all the posts that just happened before posting omg what the fuck is this kid Doing, NOTHING IN LIFE ANLESS YOU ARE A LITTLE RICH BOY OR ARE REALLY GOOD LOOKING IS HANDED TO YOU NOTHING ITS NOT BACK IN THE DAY MATE IS FUCKEN HOW EVERY ONE IN EVERY THING YOU DO IS DONE, SO STOP BEING SUCH A WANKER.

Quote:

I'm a faggot

Ducked +

NOT GOOD WITH COMPUTER

Times thanked
<

Quote:

yeh thanks for that i actually learnt that from the dj course to start off with some chill songs then slowly build up with some massive tracks..then go back down for a bit .. then build up again.. haha

Set progression is more of a "feel" thing than something you learn technically (remember it being an art not a science)?

Some tracks can "feel" faster even though they're still running at the same BPM as every other track - it may be that they have busier percussive elements, or stacatto basslines, etc. So when your DJ course was teaching you about building things up and slowing down, I don't think they meant the tempo of the music - I would hazard a guess they were referring more to the feel of the track.

Here's what I mean - go to beatport.com (you know about beatport, yes?) - and look up a track called "Riko - Tokyo (Last Atlant Remix)". It sounds pretty sweet and chilled out, no? From memory this track runs at 128ish BPMs.

Then go look up D-Nox and Beckers - Memory Cell. It sounds a faster and more pacey - even though their BPM's are around the same.

See? Art. Feel. Making love to a beautiful woman. Falling into place?
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
alrite thanks ducked.

i just want to say this... im actually not as bad as a dj as u think i am. i just word stuff stupidly and makes me look like a dumb cu*t. i actually know how to beat match and mix the basic ways coz beat matching takes years to perfect i hear.
..ive been mixing a few different house/electro cds and i want to start building a cd collection from the songs i have...to start doin house parties and stuff .. any ideas...
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

.. any ideas...

don't play electro ?

funkedub dot com

CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
find a high buiding and jump off and then leave in your will your gear to me

Quote:

I'm a faggot

CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
and stay the fuck away from lime wire

Quote:

I'm a faggot

GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<
post all your mixes on ITM for ppl to give feedback

buy your tracks, u have a long way to go my friend.

be friendly

and remember u will not be a SUPERSTAR DJ overnight
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
thats not him jking about putting your mixes up its a great way to get feed back and know if your a progressing in the right direction or are moving forward then you will have a log of your progresstion

Quote:

I'm a faggot

GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<

Quote:

im actually not as bad as a dj as u think i am. i just word stuff stupidly and makes me look like a dumb cu*t.

no one on this thread will believe that,

maybe i think you should of taken english classes than DJ courses.
generalninja +

Times thanked
<
If u want to go from 130 to 126, move the pitch slider up.... if ur cd player/turntable doesnt have key lock/master tempo... then the pitch change will change the key.
GrEnNo +

WHAT R U LOOKIN AT

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE

thats not him jking about putting your mixes up its a great way to get feed back and know if your a progressing in the right direction or are moving forward then you will have a log of your progresstion

cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
how does master tempo work and is it good to use while beatmatching or not...
generalninja +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

don't play electro ?

to get my first gig, i had to play electro... in 2weeks, i went from trance prog minimal to electro and indie dance.

yes, the dark side has cookies.
generalninja +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

how does master tempo work and is it good to use while beatmatching or not...

master tempo locks the key that you are playing in, for example, the song u are playing is in Cmajor... and if slow the tempo down by moving the pitch slider up... it will change the key to a lower key and verse versa.... thats why u get the mickey mouse sound if u speed up the pitch.

so key lock/ master tempo = keeps the key the same when u move ur pitch/tempo.

its useful when u need to make 5%+- changes in pitch while ur mixing and not go out of key.
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
ohh k thanks
mcdoofus +

aka rhian em

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by generalninja

master tempo locks the key that you are playing in, for example, the song u are playing is in Cmajor... and if slow the tempo down by moving the pitch slider up... it will change the key to a lower key and verse versa.... thats why u get the mickey mouse sound if u speed up the pitch.

so key lock/ master tempo = keeps the key the same when u move ur pitch/tempo.

its useful when u need to make 5%+- changes in pitch while ur mixing and not go out of key.

It also has the added benefit of making your music sound like total shit. I can't stand using master tempo, it does horrible things to the low-end and any sustained sounds in the music. Better to just use subtle adjustments when pitching up/down during a song.
b_bop +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

here we go

all i wanted was an answer to my question

Give us some of the tracks you are playing so we can get a better feel for your style and give you better advice.
dudu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE

I've posted mixes up but never got feedback

I've just posted a new one, so we'll see how this one goes
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
yeah dont worry neather do i

Quote:

I'm a faggot

b_bop +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudu

I've posted mixes up but never got feedback

I've just posted a new one, so we'll see how this one goes

If you don't put a tracklist with it nobody is going to bother downloading it, hence no feedback.
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_bop

If you don't put a tracklist with it nobody is going to bother downloading it, hence no feedback.

true dat
also if you listen to other's mixes and give honest feedback, good chance they will return the favour.
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
alrite ill get a mix posted up in a few days , ive looked at a few videos on how to plug the mixer to the computer looks simple and do you have to buy that cable from like JB HI FI or somewhere ?
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
yeh there like 2 bucks at jb

Quote:

I'm a faggot

cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
damn i was just at jb
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
its just the same cord you would use as an ipod in to a stero

Quote:

I'm a faggot

cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
yeh another thing is im not sure it will reach that far cos i dont have a laptop and my comps probs 1-2 metres from the mixer ? lol
dudu +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

true dat
also if you listen to other's mixes and give honest feedback, good chance they will return the favour.

yeah figured i would have to start doing that, more appealing to the eyes with a tracklist.

Yeah i've only given feedback on peoples tracks.. yay mission tonight!
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
ohh come on dude. buy a bigger cord

Quote:

I'm a faggot

cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
haha
Tha Gooch +

wut wut

Times thanked
<
cosmocock which course did you do? I'd be asking for my money back....seriously
cosmocork +

Times thanked
<
alrite ive connected the cord ... im trying to use sony acid pro 6 to record but have no idea.. anyone know how to do it ?

or an easier program to use to record..
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
^^^^

oh right ... tried reading the manual that came in the box ?

PS: GTFO of DJing nao plz ^_^

funkedub dot com

« Previous Thread Next Thread »