The DJ Booth

Warmup DJs - Advice from a pro

Tools
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
Warmup DJs - Advice from a pro
Taken from Danny Howells' blog over the weekend, regarding his current Aus tour:

Only two days in, yet wondering what I'm doing here. It's not the crowds or the venues that's wrong, but I'm just curious as to what my purpose is.
I'm supposed to be promoting my Renaissance cd - if anyone's heard it, it's quite deep, and the tempo ranges from about 120 to 127 bpm. I don't know how I'm supposed to promote it or play remotely in that style when opening djs decide to play techno/trance at 132 bpm right before I go on.

Last night in Perth was a great example of a lost opportunity. Really cool, intimate club with a nice crowd. However, as I was walking in, the first track I heard was "The Man With The Red Face" being blasted at 132 bpm. This is not just ignorance, this is downright rude. If you're playing a support slot, you really need to have at least the vaguest idea of what the headline dj is going to play. After the promoter told this dj to "bring it down a bit", he brought the tempo down a notch. The music, however, was the kind of driving prog/trance that I imagine Armin Van Buuren plays. As a result I played a shorter set than I was supposed to. It was impossible to hold onto the energy that this guy had created, and so there was very little I could do musically.

I don't come down under very often, so it's a kick in the teeth when I'm forced into either banging the shit out of it all night thanks to the opener, or am forced into playing a reduced set time. I come here to do my best, and if I'm not being given the platform to do that, then I'm very sorry.

I'm talking to my agent about ensuring the rest of the tour goes to plan - if this means I have to do all the opening slots myself, then that's what I'll do.
Sorry to sound so grumpy, but I wanted to air this. Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of the trip!

Danny x
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=236385

have a read of that.......

this is a pet peeve of mine atm....

tis 50% the promotor not communicating with the DJ's he's booked to warm up (espec for an INT)

plus 50% the Dj playing first...doesnt matter what sort of night it is, smashing it at 10pm does NOT work
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
djman +

My first interstate Laser Gig will be announced soon :)

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...d.php?t=236385

this is a pet peeve of mine atm....

+1

Maybe we should send a copy to the clubs as well. I was at a launch on saturday night, where the first DJ was pumping out the big hits track after track, no build up and when the second DJ took over at 1.30am the place died, the DJ had little or no chance to maintain the momentum, by 3am there would have been about 20 people left in the club.
Subscribe to my Podcast
Via Website http://djman.podOmatic.com

Gigs
20 Aug Laser Show QBar 9pm - 5am
27Aug Laser Show QBar 9pm - 5am
02 Sep Progressive Set Digital Therapy at Home (Wolf Bar)

Check examples of my Laser Shows at http://www.djman.com.au/lasers
Strech +

Times thanked
<
I was at the night.

Lets just say wrong venue for Danny to be playing at, this is your typical MOS annual sort of sound & crowd.

From what I can remember the DJ was banging it away but the people there are just used to it so i dont think he thought he was doing anything wrong.

I sensed something was up as when he came on he was about 20 mins late & then word got around that the DJ was bangin it to hard and Danny wouldnt come on until the music was more minimal.

He still came on and for that one hour built a good foundation of a set and I was ready for him to take it to go further into it but he just packed up his headphones after an hour and left.

Chatting to him he seemed really dissapointed, shame really hopefully next time he comes he plays at a better venue with a better promoter.
Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
what a soft cock, how long has he been DJing? and he wusses out when the crowd pack up on him?

ok.

edit: i should add before people start ruffling feathers, my comment is somewhat tongue in cheek, with a hint of truth still. (i.e. howells is a soft cock for bailing the opening DJ should really have done some research though.)
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
What a dumb**** the warmup dude and the promoter were for not making it clear what the role of a warmup DJ is.
Definetely a peeve of mine, as well, if I were Howells though I would've just brought it down myself and then played into it... i'd rather he played an extra half hour than a half hour less.
Strech +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

I would've just brought it down myself and then played into it....

He did

He slowed it right down infact, you noticed the drop in bpms for sure. I rekon it went from around 129 to his first track at Im guessing around 123bpm. He built it up from there and yeh just when you thought he was going to delve deeper he was packing his cans in

Ahh well

Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
out of curiosity, who was the DJ before howells? i bet he's feeling sorry as fuck when he read this hehe.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
johnjay +

Times thanked
<
so who was the warmup dj?
D4Dirty +

Times thanked
<
your all quick to blame the warm up DJ, but who organised this event? who did the set times? you dont hire a DJ without hearing their work, and why the hell would you have MOS type DJ's opening for a minimal DJ?
Downunder Underground Feat Mikkel Christensen Out Now!

Check out D4Dirty Records for Future Releases!
daveyjaye +

has got more flavour than a packet of macaroni

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,493 Times in 2,394 Posts
danny howells isnt a minimal DJ

and yes it is the warm up dj's fault.

If you're warming up for an international who is promoting his new cd, you think you'd warm up for that style.

it is just plain ignorant, disrespectful and rude for a dj to play in that fashion.
Dave Juric Live Sets and Promo Mixes

Gigs

Dec 20th - Mahala & Stable - Alexkid - Railway
Dec 27th - Darkbeat & Stable - DJ T - Railway
Dec 28th - DARKBEAT - STANTON WARRIORS & A SKILLZ - Railway
Dec 31st - Mahala - PEPPERPOT - NYE - Railway
Jan 1st - CARL COX - SHED 9
youngman +

loves haters

Times thanked
<
A while ago I saw Sander Kleinenberg at Home on the same night as Junkie XL. Junkie played an hour live, absolutely smashed it out - was jumping on top of the DJ booth and carrying on like a rock star - it was awesome.

Sander then came on and basically started again. BPM slowed right down and for a while it seemed that the night was never going to get any better - about an hour and a half later he just really built it into a killer set.

Different DJs, different circumstances - my point is that a warm up DJ absolutely needs to be mindful of their role. They are (usually) being paid to do a job and that is to lay a platform for the headline act. However, a quality DJ should also be able to recover and deliver a good night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave1986

hats off to youngman for a stellar review!

Read my writings here
dkolonic +

Times thanked
<
hey guys..it was ME!! and to be honest im not feeling the slightest bit sorry for myself at all...danny howells is a world class dj and should have been able to deal with the situation in a much more profesional manner!! i was on 12 - 130..the club was packed, full of energy like it is every weekend...i think i did a reasonable job maintaining the room...not once did i play any techno/trance or did my bpm go anywhere near 132..infact i maintained it at 128 then in the last 20 min brought it right down to 125 which i personally think is rediculous for that time of the night!! i respect what he does and have always been a fan..but i was pretty disappointed in the position he put me in!!!
D4Dirty +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyjaye

danny howells isnt a minimal DJ

and yes it is the warm up dj's fault.

If you're warming up for an international who is promoting his new cd, you think you'd warm up for that style.

it is just plain ignorant, disrespectful and rude for a dj to play in that fashion.

prog tech house whatever thats not my point... ignorant DJ's or not a promoter should know what to expect for each DJ and pull them inline if they are screwing with the night.

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
fair enough, maybe it was just the wrong venue and wrong crowd for howells then.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
BBC +

livin' for the weekend

Times thanked
<
I disagree Dirty, if you are opening for an international, it doesn't matter who you are, you do some homework. To hear 'Man With A Red Face' before 12 would be a joke, doesn't matter who you are supporting!

It can happen the other way too, when you build up a nice set, and the next DJ comes on, pulls your last track up half way through and rips the ass out of what you had built for the whole night with something totally inappropriate. Happened twice over the weekend. At least when this happened for the second time, EVERYONE left the room, which felt quite good actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Good Doctor

"No, I'm not letting you use my headphones, just cause you've got a USB stick full of MP3's in your pocket".

D4Dirty +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC

I disagree Dirty, if you are opening for an international, it doesn't matter who you are, you do some homework. To hear 'Man With A Red Face' before 12 would be a joke, doesn't matter who you are supporting!

It can happen the other way too, when you build up a nice set, and the next DJ comes on, pulls your last track up half way through and rips the ass out of what you had built for the whole night with something totally inappropriate. Happened twice over the weekend. At least when this happened for the second time, EVERYONE left the room, which felt quite good actually.

Fair enough, i mean that is what should happen. But the whole sit could be avoided by knowing the DJ's you are hiring and keeping tabs with how you want your night to go right?

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
^hahaha... nothing better to prove that you can warm up a room.

Personally ,while I can understand that the warmup slot was late (12-1:30), KNOWING WHAT Howells plays I wouldn't have gone near 128bpm (it would be pretty rare for me to play that fast anyway, but that's besides the point).
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
This is the thing that really shits me most about a lot of club nights. But my main problem is the ****s that get on and just smash out whatever they want. It really isn't hard to make a little effort to find out the sort of thing the DJ playing after you will be playing, let alone when it's fucking Danny Howells promoting a Renaissance mix. How embarrassing for Australia, i hope whoever it was sees what was said and learns something.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBC

if you're a promotor who's booked an international, which wouldnt be cheap, you'd at least have a chat with all the people playing......
Playing at;

SHRUG
dkolonic +

Times thanked
<
Danny Howells Can Have A Table Spoon Of Cement And Harden The Fuk Up!!

Bloody Cry Baby....
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkolonic

Bloody Cry Baby....

i'd be interested in hearing what you played then....
Playing at;

SHRUG
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

hey guys..it was ME!! and to be honest im not feeling the slightest bit sorry for myself at all...danny howells is a world class dj and should have been able to deal with the situation in a much more profesional manner!! i was on 12 - 130..the club was packed, full of energy like it is every weekend...i think i did a reasonable job maintaining the room...not once did i play any techno/trance or did my bpm go anywhere near 132..infact i maintained it at 128 then in the last 20 min brought it right down to 125 which i personally think is rediculous for that time of the night!! i respect what he does and have always been a fan..but i was pretty disappointed in the position he put me in!!!

You guys tend to play a more MOS orientated sound from the times i've been there. I think your definition of 'down a notch' is probably a little different to Howells.

However I think it's probably more the promoter's fault than anyone else's, I'd be pretty surprised if anyone at frisk played a mellow enough warm up set. Wrong venue, wrong crowd (For the most part I think).
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
man, he played all these fully sik tracks that had the house rocking!

WASN'T YOUR JOB! Warming the room was your job

Yup - venue/promoter choice is a big one. I for one am worried about this coming week for Howells at laundry... again - I think they bang it out too hard, too early there...
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Bloody Cry Baby....

yeah i'm sure you've got mad dj skillz.

Out of interest ever listened to a Renaissance mix?

Apparently Danny asked for the Drake as he has warmed up for him before, so i think he knows whats what.
Chach +

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by YossarianIsSane

Wrong venue

There's nothing wrong with that room, its a rectangular room with a good dj box and a good dancefloor and a good soundsystem and its the oldest dance music club in Perth, the perth scene was born there.
What we were they are now, what we are now they will be

Coming up for The Likes of You

Derrick May April
Ben Sims
liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
<
and some might say died there too...
Coming up for TLOY Perth:

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chach

There's nothing wrong with that room, its a rectangular room with a good dj box and a good dancefloor and a good soundsystem and its the oldest dance music club in Perth, the perth scene was born there.

I wasn't meaning to imply the room was shit, it isn't. Wrong club night was probably a better term.
Chach +

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by liseyt

and some might say died there too...

Yeah we'll see about that Dec 12 when Robert Babicz and Audiofly tear it a new one.
What we were they are now, what we are now they will be

Coming up for The Likes of You

Derrick May April
Ben Sims
Tha Gooch +

wut wut

Times thanked
<
sook much Howells?
dkolonic +

Times thanked
<
he refused to come on....
Benald +

old skool

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Bloody Cry Baby....

are you DJ Kolonic?
LATEST

Traxsource
Stompy
Beat Port

LABEL.WEBSITE.MYSPACE.SOUNDCLOUD
ac1d3o3 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Bloody Cry Baby....

In my opinion Danny Howells can cry all he wants. Hes the headline act and therefore everyone before him (including yourself) should respect his style and what he is going to play. As a warm up dj your suppose to warm up for Danny, not smash out all the current hits. There are a lot of ways to keep the energy and vibe flowing without destroying the headliners set.

Did you even listen to Dannys new cd? If you did, you should know that you shouldnt be playing "Man with a red face" before Danny. Have some fucking respect for the man. Stop being a defensive prick and take everyones criticisms on board and play the right tracks at the right time.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
what he said..........
Playing at;

SHRUG
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

he refused to come on....

Congratulations! In just a few short posts you have lost any respect I had for you. Instead of explaining what you played and why, in a coherent manner, you have rambled a whole lot of crap about how nothing is your fault and how someone with a valid point, albeit overly dramatised, needs to harden the fuck up. Can you see how this might be a problem?
b_bop +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

hey guys..it was ME!! and to be honest im not feeling the slightest bit sorry for myself at all...!

Tracklist please
Al_Mac +

Rumour Miller....

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benald

are you DJ Kolonic?

threads gone all anal!
May/June Happenings

*Watch This Space*

SHIFT_ - Facebook
To add or Not to Add!
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

You really don't think your attitude is professional do you?? The position he put you in ????? you were hired to do a specific job and you blew it. I sincerely hope any one that hires you the future has a good hard look at what they want.

Although with that name they should have had a clue
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
Seems like they all fucked up.
Kolonic should have known his role as a support dj
Promoter should have made sure kolonic knew his role
Danny Howell sounds as if he had a pre-planned set, and cracked the shits cos he couldn't use it.
pete_mac +

scratchin' like a cat

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

Danny Howell sounds as if he had a pre-planned set, and cracked the shits cos he couldn't use it.

Seeing as it's a tour to promote Danny's latest CD, do you really think he should be expected to bang out a set which is totally different to the genre of the CD just because the warm-up DJ dropped the ball? Methinks not. I'd be fucking disappointed if I was in Danny's shoes too. If it was a normal tour then perhaps he wouldn't care as much, but he's entitled to be pissed given that it's a CD promo tour.

I'm praying that Jeff Drake holds back a bit this coming Saturday.
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
Pre-planned, more like he's there to to promote a cd and so wanted to play something similar to what the cd is. That is what he was there to do, DJ Kolonic will probably put on his myspace bio how he supported Danny Howells
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts
am i the only one who thinks it's a wee bit out of taste him crying about this publicly while he's on tour?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
<
^^^Well you should be !! Djs are human as well

Update on Danny's Blog

Quote:

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Previous blog ..

I deleted it ... no point being angry about stuff.
Gotta move on and be positive!!

Danny x

macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete_mac

Seeing as it's a tour to promote Danny's latest CD, do you really think he should be expected to bang out a set which is totally different to the genre of the CD just because the warm-up DJ dropped the ball? Methinks not. I'd be fucking disappointed if I was in Danny's shoes too. If it was a normal tour then perhaps he wouldn't care as much, but he's entitled to be pissed given that it's a CD promo tour.

i see that you have context issues and have earned my pity.

how hard would it have been for him to drop 10 bpm over say two or three tracks?
or could have let the support dj's last track play out, introduce himself to the crowd and start with whatever he had planned.

i never said anything about different genres so not sure what you on about there.
point i was making was that they were all at fault.
he should've stopped complaining and just got on with his job
COZMOFO +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete_mac

i had no idea danny howells was even promoting his new cd ?
Industries for sale: Stereosonic, Parklife, Paul Oakenfold
Coming soon.. Summadayze, Cuban Club, Origin NYE, Breakfest, Oktoberfest

Web www.industrytix.com.au
Senate +

.: dirty vinyl pusher :.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

wtf...? i think you're a little bit confused. you were there to support him and his music. not the other way around.
im the hiphopopotamus. my lyrics are bottomless...

.: obscene, dirty, filthy, immoral :.

Laundry +

hear that Gilla monsters

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock

man, he played all these fully sik tracks that had the house rocking!

WASN'T YOUR JOB! Warming the room was your job

Yup - venue/promoter choice is a big one. I for one am worried about this coming week for Howells at laundry... again - I think they bang it out too hard, too early there...

i dont think you have ever really listened to the warm up sets done at the Laundry for international artists by your comment

our djs are all professional who warm up for ithe biggest & best international acts every single week & have been doing warm ups for djs like Danny for 5-10 years & we always recieve great feedback from every artists about the warm ups (hence why we got voted in the top 100 clubs in the world by the actual djs who have played at the club)

jeff drake who is warming up for Danny Howells at Laundry has warmed up for Danny on 3 previous australian tours & is a personal favourite & friend & of Danny ,

Jeff has done warm up for spots before all the big progressive artists in particular the Renaissance artists such as Dave seaman , Nick Warren , James Zabiela , Nic Fanciulli, Sasha , Deep Dish for around 10 years and on more than one occassion

this will also be the 4th time i have promoted Danny Howells so i think we are pretty clued up on what is needed

i find your comment pretty stupid

Last edited by Laundry: 03-Nov-08 at 03:22pm

pete_mac +

scratchin' like a cat

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by macc4

i see that you have context issues and have earned my pity.

how hard would it have been for him to drop 10 bpm over say two or three tracks?
or could have let the support dj's last track play out, introduce himself to the crowd and start with whatever he had planned.

He could have done that, but it would be a band-aid solution that would completely fuck up the musical flow of the night. Proper warm-up set FTW.
seen006 +

ITM Addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

wow mate.. why didnt you headline the night.. you obviously are such an amazing dj with so much respect for headlining acts... i guess you dropped all the top 10 lists from beatport (that suited) and thought it was awesome..

act professional... ive supported a few big names in my short time on the scene... play something warming... not boiling.. really easy

and we are all mostly friendlyish here.. but when you cant admit that you were in fault.. not even a little.. well that just pisses me off just a touch

so listen to what some of these guys are saying in the forum.. they may know a little as well..but what you have said above.. makes you look a little childish..

was this your first big name you have supported perhaps?
Ugin +

Times thanked
<
Surely its far more the fault of the promoter for getting a DJ such as Kolonic to play before Danny. Had the promoter hired a prog DJ to play the warm up set then there would have been no issue.

The theme of the any nite should always be in line with the style the headliner, esp an international of his stature.

And the comment that Kolonic made about 125bpm being rediculous for that time of nite is such an ignorant comment. That bpm is normal for prog and tech house which is what should have been played before danny.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »