every halfwit with a set of cdj's thinks he's a dj

Tools
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
every halfwit with a set of cdj's thinks he's a dj
This thread is bought to you from the fall out of the DJ Warmup thread and this particular quote

Quote:

the notion that every fuckwit with a set of cdj's thinks he's a dj

harsh, sure ... but considering the accessibility of the technology of DJing (turntables and CDJs) and the burgeoning growth of dance music culture ... have we lost the fundamentals of DJing along the way?

DJs are superstars now like they have never been before and understandably it's something for some people to aspire to.

So if you choose to label yourself as a DJ ... what do you base this on?
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Something_Good +

Times thanked
<
I dont think its isolated to 'dj's', it's been happening for years with several and varying instruments.

The craze in year 7, 8 and 9 (for people of my age) was being able to play guitar or the drums. Every second kid owned one or the other, but could they all play? Of course not.

What seperated the kids who could play and who couldn't came down to several factors; passion, determination, dedication, practis and of course the difference between those who had a keen interest and those who jumped on the bandwagon.

This is only repeating itself now with dj'ing, with the same era of kids growing up, cdj's becoming more accesible, as has music with both going digital.

It's a common cycle that will only keep repeating itself, you will always have people who can deliver and those that cant, musicians, and heros with instruments. In the end how well you can play will determine which category you fall into

Quote:

Originally Posted by moisty

I'd conquer my fear of taking it up the ass for $30,000

Quote:

Originally Posted by realkirill

it was like an annoying drunk girl thats taken control of an ipod at a house party

loopi +

bliss :D

Times thanked
<
i class people as dj's once they've played out at a gig. that might sound fucking stupid but i agree with the above post; anyone can buy decks now, its just a matter of whether or not you're good enough to use them in front of a crowd.
<3
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
you are a dj if you play to a crowed.

Dosnt matter if you are using wax, cdjs. dual cd players a lap top, ipods or even a tap deck if you are playing to a crowed you are a dj. your level of skill is has got nothing to do with labling your self as a dj.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

I'm a faggot

Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
I am a MA
music arranger

I hate the term DJ because every 2nd person thinks they are and knows everything about it.
I liked it more when people were scared of my decks and mixer
truba +

Times thanked
<
bah i'm just a bedroom banga, i say if you dont get paid you aint a proper dj, but thats just my opinion, and cause i never got paid for 4 times i played out i'm a fucking nobody just like the rest of you suckers hehe
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
theres the DJ's that match numbers on their CDJ's and play through all the house that charts, intro/outro style and the DJ's that mix music and try to establish their own style...
the thing that grinds gears is that 95% of people can't tell the difference.
the number matchers would happily be grouped with those who are dedicated, but the ones who have spent a lot of time and money doing it the hard way hate being grouped with the number matchers.

but it's all borderline anyway, ultimately choppy is right; if you play to a crowd you are a dj.
its all wank, attitude, and ego from both sides. if you like getting lit and playing loud music, then do it, you shouldn't need any justification. if the whordes of CDJ dj's is enough to put you on tilt, you're doing it wrong..

only thing that tilts me about it is seeing the wanker poses and re-invented personalities of people that have been dorks their entire lives up to this point and now think they're kings for matching some BPM's on a CDJ. but thats more of a people thing, not a djing thing. or is it?
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Trust me everyone, ladies will even tell you.

YOU GET MORE PUSSY PLAYING VINYL
v904 +

Times thanked
<
Back in the days DJ's were weird people who liked music in a weird way
Back then you would have to be a nerd to become a DJ

Nowadays everybody wants to be a DJ,
Nowadays everybody wants to be that nerd,

It sickens me, I hate those smart asses who think that DJ is an easy way to get laid.
Well .. Get a life!
If you're not in it for the love of the music, would you please fuck off!
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
the worst part of the CDJ bandwagon is that in a year or so when it drops off and we're all still doing it, we now look like we jumped on the bandwagon and never got off when really we've been there since before.

oh well, cant let it tilt me.
TranceOrDie +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by v904

It sickens me, I hate those smart asses who think that DJ is an easy way to get laid.
Well .. Get a life!

^ great example of wat a post modern DJ does, finds a great track to match the mood of the crowd. good on ya v904

i luv it when that track kicks in!! *hums & beatboxes*
Strech +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

harsh, sure ... but considering the accessibility of the technology of DJing (turntables and CDJs) and the burgeoning growth of dance music culture ... have we lost the fundamentals

this article makes some valid points on that question
http://remixmag.com/performance/dj_t...microwave_djs/

Sure the DJ label gets thrown around like anyone can do it these days, how many times have I met some young kids tell me they "DJ" and tell me "I use ableton, its sick, cos I can do mad mash ups, Ive been using it for 3 months'

Its all instant success these days. Doing things in a shorter time cos the learning curve is getting smaller.
Hip Hop | House | Re-Edits

http://soundcloud.com/kid-deep
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strech

Its all instant success these days. Doing things in a shorter time cos the learning curve is getting smaller.

the learning curve for fundamental techniques in operating hardware and/or software is smaller ... but that's not all "DJing" is about ... is it ?

funkedub dot com

Strech +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

the learning curve for fundamental techniques in operating hardware and/or software is smaller ... but that's not all "DJing" is about ... is it ?

No ofcourse not, but aslong as you have the right gear you can be labelled one. Was what I was trying to get across.

mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE

you are a dj if you play to a crowed.

Dosnt matter if you are using wax, cdjs. dual cd players a lap top, ipods or even a tap deck if you are playing to a crowed you are a dj. your level of skill is has got nothing to do with labling your self as a dj.

rubbish rubbish rubbish, that is ridiculous, so if I've played drums in front of a crowd, i can call myself a drummer? Of course I'm not, I've played out and played at many house parties, do i really consider myself a DJ, fuck no. Whenever I'm talking with people and someone say that i DJ i always say, no I'm not really a DJ but i have decks. To be honest I'm better than a lot of people that would call themselves "DJs". But the fact that I'm very critical of what i do because I'm passionate about it and feel to call myself a dj would cheapen something i love.
Strech +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

I'm passionate about it and feel to call myself a dj would cheapen something i love.

QFT!

And I find that someone's typical reply to you telling them that is always along the lines of 'So you think your awesome?"

Thats why I never bother, if they see me playing out thats how they'll know I do what I do

Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts
You can't learn experience the quick way. the kids playing ableton and a shitload of all the new kids on the block djs hitting sydney need to take a good hard long look at themselves in the mirror, then think about a few things.

To me, DJing is more than just mixing a few songs together. Its about creating a mood, a flow, a purpose with the tunes you select to play. It's about having your own style, doing things your own way. It's about being able to interact with a crowd, be it one person or a room full, through your music. Take them on a journey. Make them feel different emotions through your music. DJing is more than just playing tune after tune to a crowd. Anyone can do that.

When you have mastered the art of having the crowd in the palm of your hand whether you are on warm up duties or the 4am - 6am head fuck set... have them wanting more, to see what you pull out next. Then you are a true DJ.

Sure some will argue that true DJ's are turntablist who have amazing skills behind the decks. Sure they are great DJ's but thats only a part of something bigger. A DJ is in its simplest form, an artist. As long as you remember that first and foremost and are in it for all the right reasons because you love the groove of your tunes, then that makes you a true DJ.

respect.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds´╗┐ we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
johnjay +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by v904

Well .. Get a life!

thats not true

nerds would get bagged if they walked into cool record stores

now nerds are djs with this laptop and online downloading

look at deadmau5
seen006 +

ITM Addict

Times thanked
<
haha almost thought this was a deadmau5 payout thread..
beattun +

Times thanked
<
ive been hammering away on decks for about 10 years now, vinyl, cdj, now serato + vinyl mostly, havent done many gigs, havent got paid for the ones ive done, done stacks of parties, spend pretty much all of my free time (outside of a 60 hour working week) listening to and buying new music, then figuring out the vibe of it, and putting it all together in a mix

now my mixing is not always crash hot, but you can count on flow and progression in my mixes, so i feel a bit more of a dj than shithead 18 year old who can mix 12 deadmau5 tracks together in a random order fully sik, his mates love it though
Ham and eggs - A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
I make custom house party soundtracks on the fly in real time.
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjay

nerds would get bagged if they walked into cool record stores

funkedub dot com

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<
Media Player
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
i just played a brilliant 2 hr set in front of my cat...

am i a dj?
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

rubbish rubbish rubbish, that is ridiculous, so if I've played drums in front of a crowd, i can call myself a drummer? Of course I'm not, I've played out and played at many house parties, do i really consider myself a DJ, fuck no. Whenever I'm talking with people and someone say that i DJ i always say, no I'm not really a DJ but i have decks. To be honest I'm better than a lot of people that would call themselves "DJs". But the fact that I'm very critical of what i do because I'm passionate about it and feel to call myself a dj would cheapen something i love.

Well if you played drums in front of a crowed what would you be then? How is my point ridiculous? Stop being such a wanker by trying to get on your high horse, in the process making your self look better just. IMO these people who are DJing and that pretended there not but at the same time making it every obvious that they are. These people are just as bad as the Muzztec with fluro v neck tee on. Shufflingů..

Quote:

I'm a faggot

mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
no that just makes you this
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE

Well if you played drums in front of a crowed what would you be then? How is my point ridiculous? Stop being such a wanker by trying to get on your high horse, in the process making your self look better just. IMO these people who are DJing and that pretended there not but at the same time making it every obvious that they are. These people are just as bad as the Muzztec with fluro v neck tee on. Shuffling…..

i literally have no idea what you just said. I'm not on a high horse at all but saying that skill has nothing to do with calling yourself a dj is retarded
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

no that just makes you this

so you've heard of my love of the colour purple?
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
I can't wait for some cheap 2nd hand cdjs....
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
IT DOSNT.

YOUR LEVEL OF SKILL DOSNT DEFINE YOU AS A DJ BECAUSE THEN say you have club dj say just pulling one off the top of my head Andy Murphy and then say a turntablist who is clearly better at doing harder things with the decks. Is Andy Murphy not a dj and the turntablist is?

blar i dont care

Quote:

I'm a faggot

macc4 +

i don't have cat, it died

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 550 Posts
if choppy has 4 cdjs, would that make him a fullwit? or a quarterwit? discuss
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
So wait you're talking about two totally different styles? The way you think amazes me, they are both doing very different things but they both have SKILL.
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
Arr but one has greater skill than the other so one of them is a dj and one isnt. The way you think is fucked.

If I want 4 cdjs Ill have 4 cdjs I worked hard to pay for them I can have them.

I dont have 4 cdjs yet any way.

Quote:

I'm a faggot

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
because everyone wants to be the electro gypsy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wX8AbBWc08

edit: how do i make it so its a vid on here?
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
Media Player

[ media][/ media]
MuntedRaver +

Hells Satans

Times thanked
<
Its only gonna get worse with the likes of Big W and Target jumping on the bandwagon...

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_e_de

God bless you Autumn Acid, you've created celebrity-look-alike-crackhead-bingo.

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuntedRaver

Its only gonna get worse with the likes of Big W and Target jumping on the bandwagon...

Bratz Electronic Keyboard DJ Mixer
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3086389
StreX +

awwwfaaarkyeaaah

Times thanked
<
imo, paid gig to play music = dj

meh.. its a broad term that gets thrown everywhere these days. seems to result in sandy vadge syndrome for a lot of ppl. just chillax and let your beats and madskillz speak for themselves
...they just strut...wtf?!

FB ME
Strech +

Times thanked
<
^^^^^^^^^^^

13 Key synthesizer.
10 total musical instruments
21 rhythms.
60 different sound effects for 6 drum pads.
21 sound effects for scratch disc playing.
Echo effect on the instruments.
Connect to MP3, iPod, or CD player to jam with the music.
Autosleep function.
Battery included.

all for $29.99

will this be industry standard soon?

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by StreX

imo, paid gig to play music = dj

Shame it takes money to make the DJ.

Commercialism at its worst, IMO.

- DJ Spectrum
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<
Ive decieded not to put the dj tag infront a made up name because it doesnt make sense at the moment, Ive bought some gear, know the basics, but it feels so steriotypical to slap the dj tag on your name for some kind of instant respect. It's a bit of a shame I have to choose/make up a name if I was going to do club/bar work. It's like if you turned up to a venue to get the job and they say what is your name and I'd say "alex", then they'd be like "your not a dj get the hell outta my office"
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strech

^^^^^^^^^^^

13 Key synthesizer.
10 total musical instruments
21 rhythms.
60 different sound effects for 6 drum pads.
21 sound effects for scratch disc playing.
Echo effect on the instruments.
Connect to MP3, iPod, or CD player to jam with the music.
Autosleep function.
Battery included.

all for $29.99

will this be industry standard soon?

Not sure about it's durability, but for features and bang for your buck, tis for sure the pioneer killer.
iLL-Bred +

Times thanked
<
why dont dj's do like every other person on the planet does that get paid for what they do and call themselves professionals?? it does sound kinda lame but..

in snowboarding they call themselves professional snowboarders if they get paid for, it separates them from the kooks and imo so should dj's...

hypothetically (cause i dont dj, but say if i did) someone asks me if i dj, and i only have a million bedroom gigs under my belt, i'll still answer the question as if they were asking me if i snowboard... yes...

dunno if that made sense? its late..
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<
^ Kind of get it. Professional dj's sounds a bit extreme, becasue it's so hard to most dancefloor people to know if your professional as to them it's all about the music comming out of the speakers, then (going by what one of my dancefloor fools said to me) what equiptment your using and by the sound of it how you market yourself in the industry. *roll eyes.
joeyk +

Times thanked
<
^ yeah i think the above make sense. If a snow boarder can call themselves "snow boarders" then why cant a bedroom dj call themselves "dj's" I think once you are getting paid then you can call yourself a "professional dj" <-------Think that makes sense
Music_Pirate +

Times thanked
<
I hate the fact that I know people who know nothing about dance music (ie - only listen and go to MOS events) and they happen to start off with (and subsequently) own better gear then me (re - mk3's and an 800)

...not that I can't afford them but the fact they are like 'oh what the hell I will just lay down 5 grand and start' is nuts It seems like people are just going all out without having any prior experience to DJing....or am I the only one that started off on second hand Numark turntables and an old shitty behringer mixer?
v904 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Music_Pirate

I hate the fact that I know people who know nothing about dance music (ie - only listen and go to MOS events) and they happen to start off with (and subsequently) own better gear then me (re - mk3's and an 800)

...not that I can't afford them but the fact they are like 'oh what the hell I will just lay down 5 grand and start' is nuts It seems like people are just going all out without having any prior experience to DJing....or am I the only one that started off on second hand Numark turntables and an old shitty behringer mixer?

I started with, and still have, mk3's and an 800. Its not that its a 'whatever', but I knew they were reliable, were in use in clubs (if I got a gig), and had alot the bells and whistles that i could learn. Better than saving a grand or two for the moment and then spending 3-4K on new gear over the next year or whatever imo
ultim8DTM5 +

Times thanked
<
Glad to see my comment prompted such discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvaside

and if it wasn't for cdj's this would have never happened

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLL-Bred

if someone asks me if i dj

i tend to say that i'm just a record collector ... who occasionally shares some of his wares.

started as a music collector/maker ... will end as one ... somewhere in the middle i did some DJing

funkedub dot com

youngman +

loves haters

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by louislogic

theres the DJ's that match numbers on their CDJ's and play through all the house that charts, intro/outro style and the DJ's that mix music and try to establish their own style...
the thing that grinds gears is that 95% of people can't tell the difference.

QFT - most people don't know or care about the difference.

I have had decks in my bedroom for years and used to get the odd paid gig. Would I say I AM a DJ? No. I would say that I CAN DJ. Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave1986

hats off to youngman for a stellar review!

Read my writings here

« Previous Thread Next Thread »