The DJ Booth

'The' Genre

Page 1 of 3
  Tools
NORBY +

Times thanked
<
'The' Genre
I have noticed alot of people bashing on what others play, wether it be electro/house, hardstyles, hard trance etc.

So im wondering what styles everyone plays and maybe name a song or two which sums that gengre up as a whole

Cheers

Trav
Dr Bones +

Gail's in Mensa. She reads books. For fun!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,113 Times in 743 Posts
i used to mix breaks, up until recently when i almost completely stopped mixing i find it so fucken boring.. then i switched over to mixing hip hop (albeit not very well) and now i'm back to mixing on a daily basis =)

A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It? sums it all up pretty well for me. either that or..
Jurrasic Five - Concrete Schoolyard. so fucking cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kzzy View Post

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

Richierich5381 +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Qualitah Bones. Back when Jurassic were still dropping fresh rhymes and dope beats. Takes me back to lazy uni days...

Let's take you back to the concrete streets
Original beats with real live mc's
Playground tactics
No rabbit in a hat tricks
Just that classic
Rap shit from Jurassic
"there is no dark side of the Moon really... as a matter of fact it's all dark"
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<
scored that one on vinyl of hardtofindrecords the other day, fucking well chuffed!

Quote:

The music that I push in my opinion is probably a bit too mature for someone who listens to "Trance" but hey, we all have to start somewhere?

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
I LOVE deep seductive techy house

it puts most people to sleep though, so i have to make sure im not being too indulgent when i play out.

Two tracks that i adore are;

Watchmen - Shur-i-kan
White Elephant - HOSH

Songs like this almost bring a tear to my eye because they are that beautiful.

Plus anything by Spirit Catcher

I love a good bit of trance / electro bashing, but i do it with a laugh and the understanding that music is very much a personal thing.
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Mad Rooster +

Times thanked
<
THe general consensus in this forum is that electro is shit, and no one really admits to playing it. Yet when I go to Beatport (which I would say is where most DJs purchase their music from - more so than any record store or any other online store), the top 10 always contains many electro tracks.

Having said that - I play techno and tech house for myself. When I am playing for others, I usually play house and some electro (and old skool funk and disco depending on the mood)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbb618

Explain why I hate trance?

I don't hate trance, it is just the arsehole of dance music.

generalninja +

Times thanked
<
Im just abit confused what tracks are defined as electro...
the David Guetta, Fedde La Grand and the Ministry of Sound type or Pnau, Justice and Crookers type?
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
sounds like electro house & electro pop/rock?
Playing at;

SHRUG
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
i used to mix hardcore / hardhouse (that didn't last for very long) and now im just mixing what i love drum & bass

super sharp shooter - just because it was one of the ground breaking songs of the early jungle days

back like dat (marky & bungle mix) - new dancefloor style and everyone loves that track when its dropped.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by generalninja

the David Guetta, Fedde La Grand and the Ministry of Sound type or Pnau, Justice and Crookers type?

i think u'll find that PNAU, justice and crookers will be classified as 'MoS electro crap', well pretty much anyway. but dont get me wrong, im really into PNAU, but that came about mostly cuz i won the comp to dance on stage in the costumes at their sydney horden show

it shits me that electro house get such a bad wrap, cuz even some really cool stuff, like crookers, fake blood, herve, all the fidget knda stuff, falls under the electro house backet, and im def into that sound. but i dont really care in the end, i'll mix what i like the sound of (and what i get paid to play aswell )

i started out mixing hard trance/hardstyle, but then as i started to get a few gigs i morphed into chessy party electro and now a year later i sit comfortably between a bit of electro and bangin progressive house.

A sort of homecoming - Michael Cassette rmx
golden walls - Cost&Dahlback

^^^ some of my fave choons atm
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
there's good and bad in all genres

its just with trance & electro being so bloody popualr theres so many tracks and therefore so many bad oens beign produced
Playing at;

SHRUG
generalninja +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peakin Pecan

i think u'll find that PNAU, justice and crookers will be classified as 'MoS electro crap', well pretty much anyway.....
it shits me that electro house get such a bad wrap, cuz even some really cool stuff, like crookers, fake blood, herve, all the fidget knda stuff

Those are pretty much what i play at parties and in clubs... its quite a difference from my 80's synth pop and funk i play at home. LOL

But hmm, that sorta of electro is way much better then the standard set of songs u hear in the MoS compilations. Tho, i saw Fake Blood in their recent compilation.... oh dear.
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
^^^ tell me about it pomrocks, fake blood on the last clubbers guide, good song tho...

hizinhiz - stupid fresh rmx > everything MoS*

* i wont dis ministry too much, they have helped me fill many dance floors, thank god...
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts
Anything that makes me want to get up and dance

Na I pretty much play tech house, nice and dark think Bodzin, Romboy, Huntemann, Oxia, Extrawelt. I also like to play a lot of the warmer sounds but right now I'm really back into the dark headfuck sort of shiz.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds´╗┐ we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league

Last edited by Zodiac: 13-Nov-08 at 10:39am

RudeTed +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by generalninja

The former is more sort of big room electro...the latter is indie-electro/fidget typa stuff. But you cant really pigeonhole Pnau cos their sound varies a lot. Justice is straight up indie-electro.

I prefer to play two genres out. When I'm playing at clubs i tend to play big room house/tech-house and a little bit of prog thrown in for good measure. Just real nice big tracks with good flow.

Oliver $, Deise Tigrona - Ta Com Medo Do Mim
Spencer & Hill - Right on time

My much loved style though, is disco, funk and those in new forms. When i play at bars i play this sort of stuff. the good thing about it is you can dance to it or you can just chill out to it.

Anything by lindstrom
Anything by aeroplane
Some Treasure Fingers tracks fit in with this style
DFA
Jean Mclean
Metro Area
You get the idea.
JKWITS +

Times thanked
<
Hmmm. Genres are a bitch. I guess the stuff I used to listen to/mix (at home) was mainly breaks and these days its still some breaks with a bit of house and whatever you would define as whats crookers and diplo are producing. Also the stantons new remixes all seem to be fcking awesome.

Stanton Warriors - Get Wild (Stantons big bounce remix)

Busp P - To protect and entertain (crookers remix)

I don't actually get out much to hear whats being thrashed or listen to MOS compilations so its hard to know whether what I listen to is popular but I do always seem to be drawn to the catchy stuff.
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodiac

Anything that makes me want to get up and dance

Na I pretty much play tech house, from the dark think Bodzin, Romboy, Huntemann, Oxia, Extrawelt. I also like to play a lot of the warmer sounds but right now I'm really back into the dark headfuck sort of shiz.

record a mix and send it to me? i'd be interested in hearing more dark tech house; it's a genre i know very little about.

Quote:

TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
I spin a lot of genres, generally things with soul or funk roots that you can groove, bounce, shake or nod your head to.

Hip hop
EPMD – So What’ya Sayin
Africa Bam & Soul Sonic Force – Planet Rock
Lyrics Born - Callin Out

Disco
Chic – Good Times
WAR – Galaxy
McFadden & Whitehead – Ain’t no Stoppin us now

Boogie
David Joseph – You can’t hide your love
Prince – Erotic City
Yarborough and Peoples – Don’t Stop the Music

Beats/ Instrumental Remixes
Red Astaire – Come Down
DJ Day – Gone Bad
Greg Wilson – Raw DMX

Funk
Sharon Jones and Dap Kings – Genuine
James Brown – Payback
Cameo – Rigomortis

Bmore/Baille
Pase Rock – Linsday Lohans Revenge
Tittsworth – Poison
Diplo – Shake it Up

House
Royale House – Can You Feel It
Armand van Heldon – Funk Phenomena
Moodyman – I can’t kick this feelin
Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudeTed

Spencer & Hill - Right on time

... and that crookers remx of protect and entertain, great tracks, on high rotation on my decks as of late...

oh and beautiful life - gui boratto...

tell me, is it pronounced "Gwee" or "Gooie" ?? or am i completely wrong??
liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
<
I play breaks. I love the funk of a broken beat, it's mostly happy music with good melodies, vocals and massive drops - party music at its best. Can also mash it up with a bit of house and get heaps of variety on the beat. I play heaps of Stanton Warriors, Plump DJs, Rennie Pilgrem and all the big names, but I also luuuurve dark and proggy breaks too.
Coming up for TLOY Perth:

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones

i used to mix breaks, up until recently when i almost completely stopped mixing i find it so fucken boring.. then i switched over to mixing hip hop

so really you're still mixing breaks

what i play depends on what day of the week it is and what the weather is like outside.

It is dominated by breaks and dubs though. I think i'll just list the genre and definitive tunes of each one

nu skool breaks : Skool of Thought - When i was a Yout
Breakcore : Soundmurderer + SK1 - Badman
old skool breaks : Death in Vegas - Rocco (Dave Clarke mix)
Old skool rave/breaks : Altern8 - Infiltrate 202 (The Altern 8 vs. Astrix And Space Remix)
Dubstep : Caspa- Ooh R Ya ?!
Ghetto Tech - DJ Assault - Ass & Titties
Jungle : Top Cat - Original Ses (Police In Helicopter)
Big Beat : The Wiseguys - Start the Commotion
Funk : The JBs - Grunt
Soul - Aretha Franklin - Respect
Ska - Skatellites - Guns of Navarone
roots reggae: Johnny Osbourne - Truths and Rights

ahhh fuk ... this is too hard ... i haven't even got to techno, hip hop, acid house, trip hop, dub and downbeat n all them others
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts
Prog Breaks = WIN!

And jules. Im too lazy to record a set.

Yo Funke, while I don't always dig your taste in music, I sure as hell would love to trawl through all the rekkids you would have. I bet you have some real gems in there.
Respect to someone who can appreciate all music and not be pigeonholed into playing a few genres like so many others.
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds´╗┐ we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funkedub

so really you're still mixing breaks

well if you want to be a nit picky pedant, i'm still playing music with a broken beat, but when someone says breaks, i think atomic hooligan, rennie pilgrim, not Jurassic 5 or De La Soul.

but if you want to throw all music into one big super genre, how come you've categorised everything so specifically? aren't breaks/dubstep/bigbeat all the same in that case?

Quote:

slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
Spencer and hill are right up there on my favourites list, they have good originals and heaps of killer remixes out.

I spin house, which goes into a lot of sub genres. At one club i play at i have to keep a rnb-house type of vibe (flo rider - low (davig guetta remix), The other is more commercial MoS styled club but i can throw decent tracks in (Dave darrel - freeloader), And i just took a chillout set on sundays with another dj where we want to take it in a more funky smooth direction (which im fucking stoked about)

I come from Townsville, so its hard to play something that people dont know on a normal club night. But keeping the floor with a well-know track every now and then works well.

At home i like playing all forms of hard (trance/style/house), even sometimes breaking into psy. I do it for myself and thats all i care about. I would love a set in a decent hard club though, but i dont want to play to people who dont want to hear it (aka Townsville)
Tech-One
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
my style is the best and so i challange you

but seriously: the easiest way to explain is with my fav label atm. Drumpoet Community, they've been releasing so sick shit recently Ray Okpara - Please is just one example.
generalninja +

Times thanked
<
^^ Hmm i do fancy atomic hooligans and Jurassic 5.
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Dubstep : Caspa- Ooh R Ya ?!

werd!
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
Funkedub +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Bones

well if you want to be a nit picky pedant, i'm still playing music with a broken beat, but when someone says breaks, i think atomic hooligan, rennie pilgrim, not Jurassic 5 or De La Soul.

but if you want to throw all music into one big super genre, how come you've categorised everything so specifically? aren't breaks/dubstep/bigbeat all the same in that case?

i see breaks as a blanket term for non 4TTF tunes and not a singular specific genre at all ... hence i say hip hop is breaks and subsequently listed specific genres

genres are not like a series of lakes dotted across a landscape with no overlapping areas ... they are more like navigation beacons used to find where you're at on the great ocean of music ... they float around and help you identify where you are and are not close to and give you a reference point you can guide other people with to help them find parts of that ocean they might like to explore. they are a necessary evil in describing music ... but they also constrict people as to what they think they can/should play.

funkedub dot com

liseyt +

hai

Times thanked
<
^ nice analogy
Coming up for TLOY Perth:

Octave One (live)
Ben Sims
Robert Hood
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i see breaks as a blanket term for non 4TTF tunes and not a singular specific genre at all ... hence i say hip hop is breaks and subsequently listed specific genres

it's nice that that's how you see it

Quote:

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
^^^

never intimated it was a hard fact ... but if you want to be a pendant ...

funkedub dot com

Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

I LOVE deep seductive techy house

it puts most people to sleep though, so i have to make sure im not being too indulgent when i play out.

Two tracks that i adore are;

Watchmen - Shur-i-kan
White Elephant - HOSH

Songs like this almost bring a tear to my eye because they are that beautiful.

Plus anything by Spirit Catcher

I love a good bit of trance / electro bashing, but i do it with a laugh and the understanding that music is very much a personal thing.

im with you on that one.

I like to wind my sets up as I go starting with deep, sexy tech moving onto wonky tech and then peaking with some progressive/techno/house and wind things back down again, then up, then down until people feel sea sick.

Its what I do.

I hate constricting myself to one style. Good music is good music.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
Mad Rooster +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

^^^

never intimated it was a hard fact ... but if you want to be a pendant ...

A pendant?

Quote:

Funkedub +

Times thanked
<
^^^

pedant x 2

funkedub dot com

Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<
didn't i pull pedant out as something to say to you? now everyone's saying it.

fucking hate it when things get popular.

Quote:

generalninja +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer

starting with deep, sexy tech moving onto wonky tech

sounds like my first time.
dudu +

Times thanked
<
I consider myself a party dj. anything to get them asses shaking (minus the big tunes on the radio).

Fav tracks:

Elite Force - No Turning back (Mowgli & Solo Mix) Oh so funky when mixed in with Junior Senior - move your feet (toca's unreleased mix)

and

The Martinez Brothers - Stoopit

and

Ratatat - Seventeen Years
Alex36 +

Times thanked
<
Interesting discussion, doesn't sound like anyone's particulary proud to play mos/radio songs out lol.
JKWITS +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex36

Interesting discussion, doesn't sound like anyone's particulary proud to play mos/radio songs out lol.

Everyone is a chin stroker too some extent. Myself included.
RudeTed +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Oh don't get me wrong, I love playing cowboy style to a party crowd
Dr Bones +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudeTed

cowboy style

all these new genres, i can't keep up.

/head explodes.

Quote:

Peakin Pecan +

Good good

Times thanked
<
im the furthest u will find from a chinstroker...

... but i gotta admit, hanging out here in these forums have slowly moved my thunb and my forefinger closer and closer to the bottom part of my face...

Mad Rooster +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I do. ANything that will get people moving. I don't necessarily like all of the music I play. Some parties it's best to be playing cheesy MOS that girls can sing along to or whatever. I did a Derby Day after party the other week. Crowd was all pissed up and in racing attire. Dropping 'Faces of Meth' would not have gone down well... so MOS and cheese it was. And everyone loved it.

Quote:

Majestyk +

Times thanked
<
Techno, usually pretty bass heavy, percussive and dark. Two tracks that have been in my head for months because they are exactly what I love, Phil Keiran- Miss P and Modeselektor- The Black Block.
I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era.
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
<
i play good music. most usually of the mnml techno variety, but can vary to deep house and dub techno.

think mathew jonson or anders ilar for the shit i dig

abstract electronica and drone. lights off, cans on, freak out...
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill

i play good music. most usually of the mnml techno variety, but can vary to deep house and dub techno.

think mathew jonson or anders ilar for the shit i dig

i really should have a listen to your mixes then
Playing at;

SHRUG
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts
i mostly spin hardstyle, but also play a bit of hard trance and hardcore in there too

Hardstyle
Trance Generators - Do U Wanna Balloon
Pavo & Zany - Big Fat Bass

Hard Trance
Hennes & Cold - Can't Have Enough
Thomas Rubin - Cold Night (DJ Scot Project Remix)

Hardcore
Neophyte & Evil Activities - Alles Kapot
Endymion - Payback
CHOPPY_INDAHOUSE +

Times thanked
<
House/Electro. put your hands up for detrio or flaunt it tv rock. or get low ying yang twins east side boys. Increased to 128 BMP TOOO THE WINDOWWWWW to the WALLLLLLLLLLL sweat drops down my baLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSS
lol no i like deep house no track defines that awesome style.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eros le Tardfack

I'm a faggot

Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks

i really should have a listen to your mixes then

i've heard them. they're rubbish

abstract electronica and drone. lights off, cans on, freak out...
Page 1 of 3

« Previous Thread Next Thread »