The DJ Booth

3 band eq and 4 band eq

Page 1 of 2
  Tools
Elfinhoh +

Times thanked
<
3 band eq and 4 band eq
So guys what you think is better ? What are the big advantages and disavantages of each one?

3 band eq is better? More easy ? less perfeccionist? " If it was made this way and is made this way by the majority should stay this way " ?

4 band eq is more advanced? More perfect ? Longer bends? A better later invented way oif doing things? Better than 3 band also for styles more like deep house or just minimal and hard techno for example?

Leave your opinion , hope i created a read interesting topic !
synick +

Times thanked
<
Looking forward to hearing the replies...

I have only ever used 3 band...would like to hear the advantages of 4 band.
YossarianIsSane +

Times thanked
<
I would like to try a 4 band, I think it could probably make mixing a bit easier as I tend to use the EQ's to bring tracks in. However, I don't have enough hands. It might be a bit busy for me.
BrokenArr0w +

Times thanked
<
I have both a Xone : 92 and DJM 800 and i can say that the 4 band EQ does actually make a large difference.
i personally feel it allow me to have greater control over the mix, which in-turn gives me more room to be creative and push the boundaries a bit more..

It can get busy at times with an extra knob on there, but this is just practice.. Its just a matter of preference between the two i guess, but after getting used to the 4-band EQ i no i prefer it.
J0rdz +

Tewnnnnz

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,275 Times in 429 Posts
I opted for a Xone 62 over a DJM600 when i got my setup and have never looked back.
At first it took a while to get used to the 4 band EQ, but after a little bit of use i slowly got used to it. I find it really helps with smoother blends and (as BrokenArr0w said) gives you alot more control over your mixes. IMO any avenue that gives you a little bit more control over your mixing is a definite plus.

What im really sick of is hearing DJs complain about A&H mixers because they cant get used to the 4 band EQ. If they took the time to give the mixer's a chance, they'd realise that they are fantastically robust and well made mixers.
In the end, i feel a DJ who is not willing to adapt to the equipment he's using, just because it doesn't agree with his style, is really putting themselves at a disadvantage.

Small question tho; Are there any other widely used 4 band EQ mixers out there other then A&H?
| DJ | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Substance |
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
<
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elfinhoh

So guys what you think is better ? What are the big advantages and disavantages of each one?

3 band eq is better? More easy ? less perfeccionist? " If it was made this way and is made this way by the majority should stay this way " ?

4 band eq is more advanced? More perfect ? Longer bends? A better later invented way oif doing things? Better than 3 band also for styles more like deep house or just minimal and hard techno for example?

Leave your opinion , hope i created a read interesting topic !

personally i prefer using 4 bands and i absolutely love the xone:92.

for me, it offers more control and suits my mixing style. the main reason it is my preference is because it drastically changes what is cut, the main advantage to me is that when you cut the low, it mostly just cuts the kick drum without effecting the bassline too much. if you cut the low on a 3 band it simply cuts far too much.

same with the highs, it mostly just cuts the hats, and wont effect a vocal or instrument/synth as much. it also makes layering easier due to the ability to cut the kick drum so efficiently.

i find that the people who dont like 4 band eq mix a lot quicker, especially with the bass ie theyll have low cut on incoming track then do a quick swap after x bars and have a more noticeable change. i generally don't mix like that so can appreciate how subtle you can make your transitions by utilising the eqs.

although admittedly, occasionally when im playing 'wonky/whatever' house with big basslines i prefer 3 band for quicker mixes.

but apart from that, i hate mixers without pre-eq cue. its super weak and should be standard on all pro level mixers now. xone:92 fo lyf

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
^^+1 love my 92
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
Love my Xone92 and I think it shits on all other mixers I've played on inc. DJM800 and DJM1000

As rancho said if you are playing maybe a more fidget style of house there is a more cutting and dropping style of mixing rather than a long and sexy 2 minute smooth in-key mix. But I don't find having 4 band a disadvantage and I'd take it over a 3 band any day.

LPF FTW.... (Also known as the 'bitch' filter)
ekwipt +

Times thanked
<
+1 love my xone
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,291 Times in 598 Posts
do we need to start a HD25 + Xone92 love thread?
Funky Resonations - 8pm (GMT+10) Every 2nd Tuesday on www.boost.fm

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

yep, I've had a few people do me from behind while I've only done one

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts
what would be more fun is a mixer with a sweepable mid EQ
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
my personal opinion....

for techno and tech house, it's great.

for trance, big room house, electro it's useless.

depends on the music style and mixing style and how well the DJ knows the mixer
step on my cubes.
rthreeone +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho

i hate mixers without pre-eq cue. its super weak and should be standard on all pro level mixers now. xone:92 fo lyf

did you mean you hate mixers that have pre-eq cue? (you can't hear what your doing on the eqs in the headphones)

i was talking to one of the guys at dj warehouse about my urei, which has pre-eq cue, and he said it's a european style of cue
rancho +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rthreeone

did you mean you hate mixers that have pre-eq cue? (you can't hear what your doing on the eqs in the headphones)

i was talking to one of the guys at dj warehouse about my urei, which has pre-eq cue, and he said it's a european style of cue

no, i mean what i said. why would i constantly need to hear the effects of eq in my headphones?

Quote:

quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
i prefer post EQ so I can hear exactly what i'm going to drop into the mix

Quote:

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
n00b question here... but whats the difference between pre and post eq?
rancho +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy

n00b question here... but whats the difference between pre and post eq?

pre eq means that the signal going to the cue/headphones bypasses the eq's, so it is not affected by eq.

post eq means the opposite, the signal goes through the eq and is affected and any changes made to the eq can be heard in your headphones.

Quote:

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
yeh thought it might be
richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<
For clarity:

Quote:

pre eq means that the signal going to the cue/headphones bypasses the eq's, so it is not affected by eq. eg Xone mixers

post eq means the opposite, the signal goes through the eq and is affected and any changes made to the eq can be heard in your headphones. eg. DJM mixers

Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
chappo_85 +

Hai!

Times thanked
<
^^ you can actually select whether you want to use pre or post eq on a 92, not sure about the other xone mixers as I haven't used them. you should know this rich, your 92 was the first I ever used
See me naked at: Jack'd 2nd Birthday with Format B @ Mono 25/03/11

http://soundcloud.com/chappo
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
<
i would have sex with a xone92 if it were possible

abstract electronica and drone. lights off, cans on, freak out...
Elfinhoh +

Times thanked
<
one more reply..
Well i have never tried 4 band eq , my dj set up consists of a xone 3d , traktor , sony vaio good headphones and efx 1000 .

I have been considering changing to xone 92 and a xone 1d and a xone 2d , just because of the 4 bands .

I think if u are one of those guys that really likes to take it really further , as richie says " to somewhere where it has never been " it can be really good to have a 4 band eq !

This post is going interesting , keep posting what u think!
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

Wouldn't it be good for trance? I don't play or like it but don't trance guys go for really LOOONNNGGGGG mixes - in which case I would think it would be an advantage
synick +

Times thanked
<
I think it depends on the melody and the key of the track. For me, I usually just cut the bass..and if really needed i will cut out some of the mid.

I think the Pre-eq Cue would be awesome feature to turn off and on just to see if it still in time as you are brining it in. Usually you can tell, but with some songs its pretty hard to.
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elfinhoh

I have been considering changing to xone 92 and a xone 1d and a xone 2d , just because of the 4 bands .

do it

richcur +

Peanuts

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by chappo_85

^^ you can actually select whether you want to use pre or post eq on a 92, not sure about the other xone mixers as I haven't used them. you should know this rich, your 92 was the first I ever used

Yeh I did, was more highlighting the fact that the DJM's DONT have the option
Rich Curtis' website & Facebook

Latitude End EP (incl Andre Sobota, Noraj Cue & Verve Rmxs) - Mar 24
Golden Wings Music "Unique" EP (incl Flipped) - May 2

Playing prog/tech LIVE on Proton Radio, 1st Tues of Month @10pm US EST
Elfinhoh +

Times thanked
<
Cmon guys , everybody knows djm 800 sucks compared to any of xone 92 , xone 3d and xone 4d .

Yes the djm 800 is a good mixer but it is completely over rated , either in its quality and its price .
truba +

Times thanked
<
xone 92 is a fucking joke, shit sound, faders/knobs fly off if u slap them a bit harder, filters start to leak after a couple of years, lfo spazzes out to the point where the sound fully cuts out for 2 seconds, headphone thing pretty much the same, crackles when u turn it up or down, and the reason they have 4 eq's is cause the sound is so shit and mudded that u constantly have to fiddle with eq's to get the sound u really want. there i said it, oh btw i own one and to this day i say to myself how stupid i am for paying 2.5k for it 3 years ago when i had the chance to get a vestax pmc cx for the same money, better(tougher)construction and defo better sound. my xone is only 3 years old btw, for the money its worth it should have no hickups for at least 6 years. btw 4 band eq is a fucking gimmick, its more for tricks than anything else.
ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
^^ r u joking?
truba +

Times thanked
<
nope, dead set serious, i hate the fucking thing, overrated pos. i had the vestax for 6 years before it started bleeding on one of the channels, xone started to bleed on the headphones and filter a few months after the warranty expired, kinda like mobile phone, after the warranty runs out u get a new one. and why the fuck the lfo cuts the sound out is beyond me, i was having the mix the other day, played around with the lfo and outta nowhere the sound just cut out completely for no reason for good 2 seconds and then kicked back in. and this is a mixer worth over 2k
ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<
ive never had any trouble with mine, had it for almost 2 years i reckon and its been perfect.
littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by truba

i was having the mix the other day, played around with the lfo and outta nowhere the sound just cut out completely for no reason for good 2 seconds and then kicked back in.

If you have the LFO depth set to max and LPF set near 30hz (All the way around to the left) then the sound can completely cut out (could be for about 2 secs depending on the tempo the LFO is set to).....

But I take it that probably wasn't the problem that you experienced....
truba +

Times thanked
<
i never had this problem before, it happens every now and again but it really shits me when it happens, cause its always in a middle of a mix when it does happen, and the whole sound completely cuts out, like u just turned everything off and then kicks back in again 2secs later and this is while having 2 records in a mix, and also the filter sometimes when u turn it halfway sounds like i am actually pressing the lfo real quick. for the price i paid for it the fucker should last me 5-6 years with no problems, and i have heard from other people that filters on xone dont last more then 2 years before they start leaking, mine has, my mate's 62 has the same problem and i believe there was another itm member who said the same thing happened to his xone92.
mashedman +

The Untalented Mr Ripley

Times thanked
<
well my pos djm600 has a channel leaking after less than a year. Wish i hadn't got it, bt it was cheap, saving a bit extra to get a decent brand rather than fucking pioneer would've been smart
ChAbIb +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

i never had this problem before, it happens every now and again but it really shits me when it happens, cause its always in a middle of a mix when it does happen, and the whole sound completely cuts out, like u just turned everything off and then kicks back in again 2secs later and this is while having 2 records in a mix, and also the filter sometimes when u turn it halfway sounds like i am actually pressing the lfo real quick. for the price i paid for it the fucker should last me 5-6 years with no problems, and i have heard from other people that filters on xone dont last more then 2 years before they start leaking, mine has, my mate's 62 has the same problem and i believe there was another itm member who said the same thing happened to his xone92.

i'd be so pissed if this happens to me
Elfinhoh +

Times thanked
<
Well sometimes products come with problems , i have bought a Xone 3d in july and i had to send it to repair twice in the first 2 weeks because it had a fader problem , but after that im super happy with it . I have NO regrets .

Now on comparing pioneer to xone , xone is definitely better , just look at the thousands of people that prefer xone and at some small number ones ( really ignorants ) that prefer pioneer .

They prefer pioneer because xone is too much overwhelming and technique skill asking for them

The only great thing pioneer has is the efx 1000 i have one and its wonderful

Even cdjs are beaten by traktor nowadays...

So xone is definitely better
the avatar +

of the Kingfisher

Times thanked
<
Im just a dj, so I can only use 3....... 4 gets a little complicated.
rancho +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill

i would have sex with a xone92 if it were possible

have a dig at the 1/4" input, and if you don't touch the sides, maybe the 1/8" is more your style

Quote:

littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by the avatar

Im just a dj, so I can only use 3....... 4 gets a little complicated.

Dude I don't really get your point here. I'm also 'just a DJ' and I own a Xone92. Don't see why 'just being a dj' should make it near impossible to twist another knob?
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<
^ sarcasm fail

Quote:

littlebrains69 +

JimmyJams

Times thanked
<
Ah self
quantum8 +

\0/

Times thanked
<

who will be the first company to do a gillette and bring out a dj mixer with 5 band eq on each channel? endless possibilities for knob twiddlers everywhere!

Quote:

Dub DeLay +

check the intensive snare

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I must be lucky, I have had mine for two years with no problems. The more I use it the more I like it.
"If the sheep falls out, you can always get a new sheep."
Dub DeLay +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

my personal opinion....

for techno and tech house, it's great.

depends on the music style and mixing style and how well the DJ knows the mixer

Well I think it really depends on the DJ's style, not the genre so much.

When people are considering gettting a Xone with four Eq I would suggest doing some homework to understand how the four EQ work. I've said this before many times but this time I will just copy the manual:

HI Turn this control clockwise to boost and anticlockwise to cut the high (treble) frequencies. This has a shelving response when turned clockwise with all frequencies above the 2.5kHz turning point affected. When turned fully anticlockwise the response changes to a low pass filter (12dB/Oct) with all frequencies above the cutoff point being progressively attenuated. Use HI boost to brighten up the sound by adding sparkle,
and cut to eliminate all HF content.

MID 1 Turn clockwise to boost and anticlockwise to cut the higher mid frequencies. This has a bell shaped peak/dip response that has maximum effect at 2kHz. Frequencies in this range can be boosted by 6dB or attenuated by 30dB. The “Q” or frequency bandwidth also alters from a high Q (narrow bandwidth) on boost to a low Q wide bandwidth when cutting. This prevents accumulated gain when all EQ controls are fully clockwise.

MID 2 This is similar to MID 1 but affects the lower mid frequencies centred at 350Hz. Boosting can enhance the warmth of the sound while cutting can reduce the unpleasant resonant or boomy effects.

LO This is similar to the HI control but affects the low (bass) frequencies below the 250Hz turning point. . When turned fully anticlockwise the response changes to a high pass filter (12dB/Oct) with all frequencies below the cut-off point being progressively attenuated. Use LO boost to accentuate the bass lines/beats, and cut to
eliminate all LF content.

My view is with the combination of the filter, an understanding of the frequency ranges of the sounds in the music, and practice, the four EQ gives excellent control.

If by electro you mean electro house, the MID 2 control of the Xone 92 is perfect for that, if the DJ is good enough to mix basslines.

But the Xone 92 is defintely not a controller to bash the fuck out of. And i suppose if the DJ is poorly sequencing MP3s just in the intros and outros who cares?

Last edited by Dub DeLay: 06-Jan-09 at 03:13pm

silvaside +

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,840 Times in 877 Posts
personal preference really.

i like the 4 though.
Dub DeLay +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvaside

personal preference really.

this is true, but you don't know what you prefer until you spend some time with all types
tony d +

The Knights who say ‘Ni’

Times thanked
<
3 year old xone 62 still going strong, it does pre/post eqing. Only problem i had was that the headphones kept cutting out, but turned out it was the jack adaptor and not the unit.
4 band is good but like said before, not for fast cuts
http://www.soulshine.org
Garthyboy +

Times thanked
<
Love the 4 band EQ

But - since getting my EVO5 love the fully channel independent fully adjustable 3 band EQ
Can change each channel to suit my needs
Lukey +

Puke

Times thanked
<
we have had a 62 since they came out and i love 4 band eq

im not sure if the 92 is worse than the 62 but ours has been rock solid for 4-5 years and nothing amiss. every channel clean, no problems with anything. a few knobs have lost their rubber and we have lost a couple of fader knobs but that is about it.

it has been used in 20 or more outdoor/warehouse parties ranging from deserts to extremely wet/damp conditions and dusty ass warehouses
never been serviced, beaten up by djs (hence missing fader knobs)
still rawks
something
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
<

Quote:

have a dig at the 1/4" input, and if you don't touch the sides, maybe the 1/8" is more your style

now i'm banned from kosmic music. thanks ****

Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »