WOrking Holiday / Youth Mobility Scheme Visa processing times

Page 1 of 14
  Tools
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0
WOrking Holiday / Youth Mobility Scheme Visa processing times
Hey guys, for those that have gone through the process, how long (average) does it take to be granted a working holiday / YMS visa for the UK?

I have read a few threads on here, but its seems it can take anywhere between a few weeks and months.
ChRiStOpHa +

Times thanked
< 2
Yeh my UK working holiday visa took 3 weeks. Much to my susprise. I guess it would be hard to put a time frame on it. Just get it off as soon as you can.
After all that is the best you can do right......
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0
Also just some clarification for those who have done it:

The final instructions I received told me to:

4.You must now take your printed application, supporting documents and the appropriate fee (unless paid on-line with this application) to the address shown below on the agreed date and time of your appointment. (Mine is on friday)

If you are in the United States of America, Australia or New Zealand you must SEND these documents to the visa issuing office shown on your printed copy of your application form. No personal callers will be admitted to the visa office location. Your application will not be accepted at any other location. Failure to submit documents will result in a delay and/or lead to the refusal of your application

These instructions are confusing. It says I need to bring the original documents in person to the appointment but then because I am from Australia it says I need to send the documents?

Can someone who has gone through this process please clarify

Thanks heaps.
Spur +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_puppy

4.You must now take your printed application, supporting documents and the appropriate fee (unless paid on-line with this application) to the address shown below on the agreed date and time of your appointment. (Mine is on friday)

The printed document required is the application for the UK entry clearence. my entry clearence was done by the visa company i applied through which I filled in their visa application. most of the information in the form I filled out was required on the entry clearence application. You will need to take that & your passport to the biometric appointment.

You can ask about the fee when you do your biometrics. I think it's the fee paid for UK immigration to peform the whole process for you.

It is critical that you send all the required documents to the british high commission to create the shortest approval time.

i handed mine in during the christmas period so still waiting on approval.

hope this helps.
Not Sure +

Times thanked
< 0
Le other half got hers approved yesterday and passport back today. 17 working days in total (taking the Xmas break into account). Considering her flight itinerary showed she isn't planning to leave until the beginning of March, not too bad.
AshAmo +

Times thanked
< 0
What day was hers sent? I sent mine on the 18th and still no word. I'm assuming I wont hear anything for a couple more weeks considering the christmas break etc.
Not Sure +

Times thanked
< 0
The payment got processed on December 4th. She didn't get any confirmation e-mail saying that they had received her passport or anything. When she called up and asked if they had, they said they couldn't say give any information out until the application was 25 working days in (I assume this is to discourage people calling every day asking for updates). They asked for her name though as soon as she called, so we guessed they must have received it as otherwise the woman would have to say "Er, we don't know you, and the mailman must have your passport".

13-20 working days seems to be the norm if the application is kosher, so I'm guessing yours will be approved at the end of next week, or the week after that
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0
The instructions and the processes are not displayed very clearly on the website. From what i've pieced together I need to:

1) Bring my passport, entry application and appointment confirmation printout to the biometrics appointment on friday and get the form stamped etc (with passport photo attatched)

2) Send the stamped app, passport, bank statement and a self-adressed platinum express post envelope to the consulate in Canberra (ive already paid the $267 fee online.

3) Theres no reason for my visa to be denied, so if i plan to travel end of Feb, should I go ahead and book refundable (with a fee) one way flight now? (cheapest ive found is Brisbane to London via Singapore with Singapore airlines for $1230
AshAmo +

Times thanked
< 0
Thanks for the info 'not sure'. Its quite scary not knowing whether the application has actually arrived safely....

the waiting game continues.
LightningChyld +

Times thanked
< 0
I flew to Melb to have my biometrics done yesterday. Cost me $200 in flights, food and transport to go to a 2 minute appointment!!!!!! Rargh!
May contain traces of Going Nuts
Walk Like A Zombie +

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah its such a joke! After i went i thought thank god i didnt live in far north qld and had to make that trip for all of 2 mins.
kavanna +

Times thanked
< 0
True true!! I live in Mount Isa and payed $700 return to Brisbane just to sit for my biometrics, grrrrrr!! All good. They took the money out of my credit card on the 18th so I know they recieved it, but still waiting.....tick tick tick lol
Walk Like A Zombie +

Times thanked
< 0
fuck me dead! thats almost what i paid for a ticket to london. hope you don't have to do that again to get to the airport!
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0
Im flying Singapore Airlines one way for $1230, inlcudin a stint on an a380.

Air asia x have a sale $299 Gold Coast to Kuala Lumpur they also had roughyo $300 fares from KL to London but they are sold out
Walk Like A Zombie +

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah air asia had an ad in the paper for there latest special i think it ended up about 800bux all the way to london. Im going royal brunei fror $896
Not Sure +

Times thanked
< 0
We'll be traveling to the UK together. I'm a British passport holder, so I'll have no problems with immigration etc. But would it be best for her to make out she is traveling alone in case some immigration official decides to make a scene about her traveling with a British passport holder (false intentions etc)? Also, we are going straight up to the North East of England (whey aye man) where I have family, so would it be ok for her to put my Aunts address in the immigration form?
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0
AS part of the supporting documents I need to submit a bank statement showing I have 1600 pounds. I got a document from my bank with all the required details "Account #, Name etc etc" but down the bottom it says "this is only a transaction record and not a statement". Would this be OK to submit or should I hassle my bank again to send out something more proper?
littleyahoo +

Times thanked
< 0
Hey 'the_puppy' - I'm still waiting to hear back about my visa, as the British Consulate didn't receive it until 15th Dec 2008, taking into account their xmas break (confirmed closure dates were 24 Dec - 1 Jan). So I'm hoping I hear about it next week. I also confirmed that I would be notified via email first if/when the visa is approved, then it will arrive in the mail. I'm leaving on 4th Feb (but my ticket is flexible)!!!!

Also, before lodging your forms, make sure you go by this checklist, as it can be easy to forget to include the Appendix 7 form (the VA9 form is the online application version that you've already filled out) with your application:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...bility#9820077

That Appendix 7 form can be downloaded from here (pdf file): http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/...BSAppendix7YMS

Also on that checklist site it outlines the types of supporting documents, especially outlining proof of funds documents.

Hope this helps.
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleyahoo

Hey 'the_puppy' - I'm still waiting to hear back about my visa, as the British Consulate didn't receive it until 15th Dec 2008, taking into account their xmas break (confirmed closure dates were 24 Dec - 1 Jan). So I'm hoping I hear about it next week. I also confirmed that I would be notified via email first if/when the visa is approved, then it will arrive in the mail. I'm leaving on 4th Feb (but my ticket is flexible)!!!!

Also, before lodging your forms, make sure you go by this checklist, as it can be easy to forget to include the Appendix 7 form (the VA9 form is the online application version that you've already filled out) with your application:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...bility#9820077

That Appendix 7 form can be downloaded from here (pdf file): http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/...BSAppendix7YMS

Also on that checklist site it outlines the types of supporting documents, especially outlining proof of funds documents.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help. The Visa processes and requriements are all over the place it seems. I filled out one of those Appendix 7 forms. Gonna mail everything in on Monday. My flight is booked for the 26th of Feb, but I can change and cancel for a small fee.
Reenie11 +

Times thanked
< 0
I got my application in just before xmas so I'm guess the processing time might be longer than usual, but now I'm thinking of staying in Sydney for work and not going to London until 2010.

Does anyone know how long you have to enter the UK before the visa is invalid. I've heard 90 days, but I've also been told I need to avoid the UK for the next two years before I can apply again (so that I can have the full two years and not just what is left of the one I'm soon to have).
StuckInSydney +

Times thanked
< 0
I sent my application via Express Post Platinum to Canberra on the 1st December 2008. I still have received no word on it. I can see on the Australia Post website that it was received on the 2nd December but that is all I know. It's been 28 working days (taking into account Christmas, Boxing day & New Years Day). I'm really concerned. Is there anyone else in this position?
littleyahoo +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckInSydney

I sent my application via Express Post Platinum to Canberra on the 1st December 2008. I still have received no word on it. I can see on the Australia Post website that it was received on the 2nd December but that is all I know. It's been 28 working days (taking into account Christmas, Boxing day & New Years Day). I'm really concerned. Is there anyone else in this position?

It's actually only 24 working days today. They were closed from 24Dec-1Jan, so if you count the working days from 2Dec, it's definitely within the 25 working days. I know it's crap seeing as everyone has received responses 13-17 working days.

You know, I realised that most of the people that do get their visas are from QLD
KilltheLights +

Times thanked
< 0
I sent mine in December 4th, got the "we've received your documentation" email on December 23rd and got confirmation today!
littleyahoo +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by KilltheLights

I sent mine in December 4th, got the "we've received your documentation" email on December 23rd and got confirmation today!

Another Queenslander!!! Urgh. This. Really. Sucks.

Congrats btw!!
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0
Interesting. After 25 days I would start getting on to them. I sent mine express post yesterday, Planning on travelling 26th feb. Hope it all happens in time, though im from QLD and its not over the Christmas break.
KilltheLights +

Times thanked
< 0
I thought they didn't start back till the 5th of January? Their website obviously says something different but I heard the 5th somewhere...
Lizzbear +

Times thanked
< 0
yea minus the Xmas break it took them 21 days to get back to me, and now i am waiting for my passport to come back to me... I hate waiting

5 weeks to go before i leave Oz... WOOHOO, London here i come
ilikestripes +

Times thanked
< 0
just wondering what the extra $15 is that people have been paying? when i was paying i think i read something about a money order but i guess i skipped too fast without reading properly!
Reenie11 +

Times thanked
< 0
Postage. To get your passport back.
Lizzbear +

Times thanked
< 0
yea i think it is a good idea to send the money i am getting my passport back soon
ilikestripes +

Times thanked
< 0
but don't they say you have to send a prepaid envelope now?

from http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/visas/
"With immediate effect applicants submitting applications either by post or in person MUST enclose a prepaid self-addressed return envelope for the return of their documentation."

or is the prepaid just for the docs and the $15 separate for the passport? i only paid $248... :/
Reenie11 +

Times thanked
< 0
I when through an agency so didn't have any other option to pay other than by money order and was told to include the postage fee. I'm pretty sure it was on my application form too, but I think if you have sent a prepaid envelop you'll be ok.
ilikestripes +

Times thanked
< 0
i hope so
littleyahoo +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikestripes

but don't they say you have to send a prepaid envelope now?

from http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/visas/
"With immediate effect applicants submitting applications either by post or in person MUST enclose a prepaid self-addressed return envelope for the return of their documentation."

or is the prepaid just for the docs and the $15 separate for the passport? i only paid $248... :/

That's definitely as of January 2009, as that was never there when I applied in Dec 2008. I included a $15 money order in my application, which is for them to use to send back my documents, passport etc. So I guess it's changed.

As for the closure dates, now they say they did come back into the office on 5th Jan and not 2nd Jan! So I have to wait another day longer!

I. Want. My. Visa.
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0
I did my application online, I paid online which also required a $15 return postage fee. Yet on there website , it said I needed to include a return adressed express post platinum (or the like) envelope. I did both just to be safe.
Lizzbear +

Times thanked
< 0
I put $15 in the envelope. and i got it today...woohoo i got my visa today
KilltheLights +

Times thanked
< 0
I didn't put $15 in the envelope and also got mine at 11am this morning. SO happy! Though it's too late - I've already pushed the flight back until early February.
StuckInSydney +

Times thanked
< 0
My application was refused because my bank account documents didn't have an official stamp on them from the bank. Stupid, stupid beurocracy!!! Now I have to pay $250 to apply again.
KilltheLights +

Times thanked
< 0
Jeez that's so harsh! You'd think they'd just let you know so you could fix it... I actually completely forgot about needing the stamp until the bank manager said "let me go and stamp it" and I was like ohhhhh that's right.

Had you already booked your flight?
StuckInSydney +

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah, I already booked my flight. I'm also already paying rent for a place in London. It's costing me over $1000 so far being delayed like this. They tell you that you can appeal but you can't send them any supporting documents in the appeal so there's no way you can proove anything to them in the appeal. So then you have to apply all over again. That's how they get an extra $250 I suppose.
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckInSydney

My application was refused because my bank account documents didn't have an official stamp on them from the bank. Stupid, stupid beurocracy!!! Now I have to pay $250 to apply again.

Are you serious? what document didat a bank s= you send to begin with? The website stated that a bank statement or and official letter with a stamp would suffice. What did you send in?
ilikestripes +

Times thanked
< 0
did other people get their bank statements stamped by the bank?
emmakate118 +

Times thanked
< 0
I am about to apply for my visa online and noticed the part about needing to know your address in the UK. Does anyone know what to put if you are unsure of this? Can you simply leave it blank???
Thanks
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikestripes

did other people get their bank statements stamped by the bank?

I did not

According to the website you only need an official stamp if you sumbit a letter from the bank stating your funds, rather than a statement
littleyahoo +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizzbear

I put $15 in the envelope. and i got it today...woohoo i got my visa today

Did you receive your passport back via platinum express post from the British High Comms? I hear they say it can take up to 5 working days to send back your passort and documents?

It's day 18 for me today and still nothing and I fly out 4th Feb
littleyahoo +

Times thanked
< 0
WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I got the approval email today! I got my visa APPROVED! Too happy!!!

It took 18 working days and now just waiting for it to arrive via Australian Air Express, which usually comes overnight.

So glad the wait is finally OVER!
Lizzbear +

Times thanked
< 0
so happy for you LittleYahoo
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0
For all those going over soon, go to the HSBC website and apply online for a Passport bank account. It costs you nothing to apply and after 1 week they send you documents. All you do is bring these in with you to a HSBC in the UK with a passport and a bill (can be an Australian address) and they will open you an account then and there. The fee is 60 pounds for 1 year. After a year you can then easily opena normal account because you will presumably have a fixed UK address etc.
Walk Like A Zombie +

Times thanked
< 0
That seems easy about the bank account. However paying 60 pound for a year would be more than the fees for having a 'local' bank account with them? I see places like STA will set you up with a bank account and NIN and a few other bonuses like a SIM card and free gym for a week for $77. I was considering it.
the_puppy +

Accredited Troll

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walk Like A Zombie

That seems easy about the bank account. However paying 60 pound for a year would be more than the fees for having a 'local' bank account with them? I see places like STA will set you up with a bank account and NIN and a few other bonuses like a SIM card and free gym for a week for $77. I was considering it.

its up to you, with this one they also give you a sim card.
Page 1 of 14

« Previous Thread Next Thread »